DAZ Files not working

I am sorry if I am posting this in the wrong spot. I have no clue how to find my way around a forum.
I had a computer crash and I reinstalled everything but when I went to my external to load characters that I'd saved as scene, I keep getting an error of one or more files can not be found when loading. Everything is installed as it was before. Any ideas? Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,858
    edited December 1969

This means that you don't have a backup of the primary DAZ Studio Content Directory from your old system, which had the geometry files for .daz scene files. Which version of DS are you currently using, and if it's 4.5 do you have the installer for your old version still?

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

And what is the error you are seeing? What does it say?

• edited December 1969

That was a quick rel=ply thanks so much. I am using DAZ 3. Even if it is just a character? What I did was save a Cookie face with makeup and facial features the way I wanted. I really like her and wanted to use her again :( I dont have anything saved except the scenes that I made which I had in a separate folder.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

what probably happened is the support files got lost when you created the character. I've seen this happen before if I don't go through the proper steps of creating a character and saving it as a character preset rather than a simple scene file. That's a guess, as I have never used DS3. I use DS4.5 and before that DS4.0, but I have been lead to believe how they treat new files is basically the same.

• edited December 1969

Oh Ok. Thank you so much. I am slowly getting a better understanding of it all. I guess I better review a few more tuts and play around with 4.5 to get more familiar with it. Thanks for the help :)

Hugs,
    TJ

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,858
    edited December 1969

Load the figures and props you used into DS3, then save as a scene. You don't need to pose them, apply textures or add lights or cameras - all you need is the actual "things". If the figure sues injectable morphs you should inject those before saving. That should ergenerate the needed files, after which the old scenes using those items will load again. To avoid this in future add the \data folder in the first folder listed in Edit>Preferences>Directories to your list of locations to back up.

• edited December 1969

Thank you so much. That Helps a lot!! I swear I learn something new everyday. Back to the drawing board :)