Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

Comments

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Savage...renders are, as expected from you, superb...but I have to admit, I've never been a fan of the 'humanising' of animals. Others areas of annoyance (and it's just my tendancies) would be 'talking animal' movies...grrrr...have to turn them off immediately. Still, in terms of your actual renders, the lighting is really, really very nice, and don't think there are too dark, as you mentioned.

Jay

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: Those polar bear images are great.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Still, in terms of your actual renders, the lighting is really, really very nice, and don't think there are too dark, as you mentioned.

I have to agree. Considering those images remind me of Artic regions, I wouldn't expect it to be very "sunny".

BTW, love the nose-to-nose image with the heart-shaped snow. That's a great render. :-)

• dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

@chohole:
    I like your materials. They have interesting speculars and very pretty textures.

@Jamahoney:
    Nice to hear you've enjoyed them.

@David Brinnen:
    Rather than bumpmap they're real geometry. I've got model from here: http://www.indigorenderer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2550 It can be seen more closely when there's no glossiness used. it's the same as one of the previous ones. I've tried to mimic this type of glass: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_glass , http://ddoty.com/colrvaseline.html - not that fully successful.

I'm wondering about this feature-bug? I'm curious what happens with glossy reflection - is the line diffused somewhat?

@TheSavage64:
    Nice images, the sky and snow is making cosy atmosphere. I don't think your images are too dark, maybe the shadows slightly... but could be fixed in postpro with curves or levels. Do you use IBL or TA? Whatever method is used then putting small point light (non casting shadows) under the bear might help you. Also using gamma correction (or rising gamma in post) is making shadows softer (more light reaching mesh corners), the downside the colours have to be corrected accordingly to curve used not to look bleached out.

15_test_scene_carn_6_g_sharp_b.png
    300 x 400 - 220K
    Post edited by dwsel on
  • dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

I've finished background plate for one scenes for: http://missionbackupearth.com/tv-series/

More images and wip here: http://www.wreckamovie.com/tasks/show/2754
    Bryce + GIMP

34_lights_fin.jpg
    960 x 540 - 280K
    Post edited by dwsel on
  • eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    Jamahoney said:
    Still, in terms of your actual renders, the lighting is really, really very nice, and don't think there are too dark, as you mentioned.

I have to agree. Considering those images remind me of Artic regions, I wouldn't expect it to be very "sunny".

BTW, love the nose-to-nose image with the heart-shaped snow. That's a great render. :-)The ARctic region can be bluddy sunny.
    Half a year of sunshine and half a year of night.

• eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

dwsel_ said:
    I've finished background plate for one scenes for: http://missionbackupearth.com/tv-series/

More images and wip here: http://www.wreckamovie.com/tasks/show/2754
    Bryce + GIMP

Finally someone doing something sensible with bryce, making plants and a green house :)
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited January 2013

Thanks all. :-)

Miss B: That heart shaped snow is also done in Bryce... I'm not sure about it, I wanted it to look more snowy, but to me it looks a bit like crayon, but I do like the softness of the image.

Dwsel: I use both IBL (taken from a quite plain blue sky) and TA. There is also one radial light as a fill.
    It's not the shadows that bother me, if you have a white bear against a white background, the shadows are quite necessary to be able to see the bear. :-)

I just think the sky looks too gloomy, bearing (no pun intended) in mind that these are for Valentines cards. I added the pinky red into the sky and clouds to try and warm them up a bit but maybe I'll try some with no snow falling and a bright blue sky or a pinky red sunset.

The other alternative is to do cut outs, but that moves away from the style of the Christmas ones... I've done this as an example:

BearHugALT2.jpg
    424 x 600 - 101K
    Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Thanks all. :-)

Miss B: That heart shaped snow is also done in Bryce... I'm not sure about it, I wanted it to look more snowy, but to me it looks a bit like crayon, but I do like the softness of the image.

Dwsel: I use both IBL (taken from a quite plain blue sky) and TA. There is also one radial light as a fill.
    It's not the shadows that bother me, if you have a white bear against a white background, the shadows are quite necessary to be able to see the bear. :-)

I just think the sky looks too gloomy, bearing (no pun intended) in mind that these are for Valentines cards. I added the pinky red into the sky and clouds to try and warm them up a bit but maybe I'll try some with no snow falling and a bright blue sky or a pinky red sunset.

The other alternative is to do cut outs, but that moves away from the style of the Christmas ones... I've done this as an example:

I'll add my voice to the several saying the valentine's polar bear renders look fine as is, at least as far as how dark you feel they are. The only thing I thought looked particularly wrong was like in the one with the heart shaped box the red was reflecting on the bears. It's faint enough though that you could leave it as is and I doubt anyone would be that bothered by it.

edited December 1969

@Dave: That layout makes a very good card. It's really nice. As to the sky, you mentioned, nature programs I've seen have shown bright sunny days and days like in your scenes. Still, I like the atmosphere you've accomplished with those images.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited January 2013

Polar bears that are giving warm, fuzzy feelings ... nice! :)

Post edited by Kerya on
    edited January 2013

Dwsel...great greenhouse work, and Misssion Backup Earth looks interesting from what I've seen from the trailers (Google found). Looks like 11 March 2013 then is when we'll all meet in space again...be sure to pack your Bryce 'wares :)

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    Jamahoney said:

BTW, love the nose-to-nose image with the heart-shaped snow. That's a great render. :-)

The ARctic region can be bluddy sunny.
    Half a year of sunshine and half a year of night.

True, of course, depending on the season(s). I guess I just think of it as fairly dark and cold, so when I saw those renders they seemed lit perfectly.
  • cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

I'm gonna agree with those who like the lighting, @savage - it reminds me of a snowy evening just after sundown - with all the white around, it doesn't take too much sun/moon light to see really well.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956
    edited December 1969

Cjreynolds- I like your “little more recent render - from about 3 years ago” scene.

Dwsel – you are getting some nice effects for your glass materials.

chohole said:
    I did start playing around with some glass, but then I got distracted, cos I came across a set I made ages ago, to work in Poser, and decided to see what they would look like in Bryce.

These are stunning. I love the fairy-tale pastel one too. Every day I’m amazed at the variety of artwork done in Bryce.

GussNemo – the temple is shaping up very well. I admire your dedication and patience. I also started the temple tutorial; just completed the 1st pillar lol. I think you need to re-position the dome. It is sitting on only part of each pillar.

Dave – the bears are awesome. I like the hugging bears and the one with the heart … actually I like all your renders.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Bryce 20 minute effect project - Exotic use of DOF - a tutorial by David Brinnen

Well I've been busy recording video's and content for the first planned instalment of DVD2 but here's something I thought I would share with your all directly. Inspired as it is by Horo's Orton effect images, it should be right up Pam's alley fantasy wise.

For those up to date with recent news stories in the UK.

This is what happens when Cthulhu eats unicorn meat - guess who's been shopping for beef burgers at Tesco then?

Coc_glow2.jpg
    637 x 850 - 178K
    Glowing_edge.jpg
    850 x 850 - 179K
    edited January 2013

'Tesco'...haha...bet that will confuse our American friends (just think 'Walmart') - bargains all around in Cthulhu's and Dragon's meat. Have to admit, never seen these in the render (yes, the word 'render' has two meanings) isle :)

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Cjreynolds- I like your “little more recent render - from about 3 years ago” scene.

Thanks! That one is about the only water render I've done that I really liked :lol:

edited January 2013

Jamahoney said:
    'Tesco'...haha...bet that will confuse our American friends (just think 'Walmart') - bargains all around in Cthulhu's and Dragon's meat. Have to admit, never seen these in the render (yes, the word 'render' has two meanings) isle :)

Jay

Ya, Walmart sells more than it's share of horse and dragon meat, but for head cheese and unicorn meat, you gotta go to Fiesta Market :)

BTW: Those are REALLY cool looking, David!

Post edited by cjreynolds on
    edited December 1969

Shortly after I bought ver. 6, I discovered abstracts. Not that I didn't know about abstracts before, but I found out they could be done in Bryce. Hadn't even considered such a thing.

Found a tip sheet (think it was a tip sheet - don't remember) that described putting a reflective plane in a scene to mirror objects and make symmetrical designs. From looking through these threads (# 1, # 2, and this one), I've seen where Bigh and perhaps others have used the same method. Here's three of my attempts...

abstract7.jpg
    800 x 296 - 59K
    abstract6.jpg
    1120 x 835 - 368K
    abstract5.jpg
    1120 x 835 - 82K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:

Jay

Not just Tesco... Lidl have also been affected by the meat mix up.

Giving me the excuse of a line about "My Lidl Pony"

edited December 1969

@cj: Those images, especially the first one, are very interesting. Where exactly do you place the reflective plane to get those effects?

edited January 2013

Perhaps symmetry in abstracts is appealing for the same reason it was chosen by Rorschach when he created his inkblots - that is, as I understand it, that symmetrical images - particularly those with ambiguous content - elicit heightened emotional responses from the brain of the observer.

Anyhow, that's by the by, now I finally know (or think I do) how DOF works, I can see alternative ways to combine it with Bryce optics to exploit this effect further. Here I've changed the DOF from a distance based effect to an angular effect. So now the blurring becomes stronger the wider the rays stray from the centre of the image.

Dither_blur8_2.jpg
    889 x 500 - 98K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956
    edited December 1969

David – interesting results.

Cjreynolds- lovely abstracts.

edited December 1969
    Inblot8.jpg
    850 x 850 - 356K
    Inblot7.jpg
    850 x 850 - 293K
    Inblot6.jpg
    850 x 850 - 346K
    Inblot2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 214K
    Inblot1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 130K
  • Peter FulfordPeter Fulford Posts: 1,325
    edited December 1969

- random inkblot generator -

And every random one is the face of diabolical death demon.

So now we know how David got to be such a good Brycer - a pact with the devil.

He is also 82 years old and keeps his portrait in the attic...

edited January 2013

_ PJF _ said:
    - random inkblot generator -

And every random one is the face of diabolical death demon.

So now we know how David got to be such a good Brycer - a pact with the devil.

He is also 82 years old and keeps his portrait in the attic...

That's what you see in them!

I thought they looked more like the faces of friendly ponies quietly contemplating green pastures.

Edit,

A child picking flowers... (sunlight disabled, two radial lights, one red and one white).

Inblot1_6.jpg
    850 x 850 - 266K
    Inblot1_5.jpg
    850 x 850 - 320K
    Inblot1_4.jpg
    850 x 850 - 311K
    Inblot1_3.jpg
    850 x 850 - 278K
    Inblot1_2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 281K
    edited January 2013

And using a combination of negative light and orange fog...

Cats curled up on an orange rug...

Inblot1_v5.jpg
    850 x 850 - 318K
    Inblot1_v4.jpg
    850 x 850 - 334K
    Inblot1_v3.jpg
    850 x 850 - 334K
    Inblot1_v2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 247K
    Inblot1_v1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 348K
    edited December 1969

Ohhhh, Rorschach tests. Very cool David. ;-)

edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    Ohhhh, Rorschach tests. Very cool David. ;-)

Thank you Miss B!

Did you get them all correct?

Here's some more to try. Heightmap made from a altitude mask of Tori processed in Genetica.

Sort of shifts to a sort of woodcut effect.

Inblot1_v1_m5.jpg
    850 x 850 - 290K
    Inblot1_v1_m4.jpg
    850 x 850 - 303K
    Inblot1_v1_m3.jpg
    850 x 850 - 308K
    Inblot1_v1_m2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 338K
    Inblot1_v1_m1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 435K
This discussion has been closed.