Comments

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

ENTRY #4 - WHERE THE MUSIC TAKES YOU ARTIST -IceDragonArt

Entry: #9 »Tango Sounds» Artist: Vyusur

Entry: #15 Title: Mystic Music Land Artist: wgdjohn

HM Entry # 6 - Pythagoras of Samos Artist - Alberto

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited March 2017

Lots of very cool images to choose from.  I just barely managed to narrow it down to, in no particular order, these: 

• #4 Ice Dragon Art "Where the Music Takes You"
    • #19 head wax "The Boy with Bong(o) Eyes"
    • #9 Vyusur "<<Tango Sounds>>"
    • HM #16 pnewhook "Space Music"
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

I hate the voting phase, always so difficult to narrow down the list, let alone to just three (plus one).  Anyway here are my votes:

Entry: #1 "Walk like a Bangle"
    Artist: Diomede

Entry: #4 "WHERE THE MUSIC TAKES YOU"
    Artist: IceDragonArt

Entry: #7 "«Dancing Fleur»"
    Artist: Vyusur

HM:   Entry: #13 "Music For Her Eyes"
    Artist: UnifiedBrain

But well done to ALL the entries!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

MDO2010 your checks in the mail :)

• MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited March 2017
    head wax said:

MDO2010 your checks in the mail :)

LOL.  That's what I get for just looking at the pretty pictures and not actually reading. 

Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on

haha who needs words when we have bribes :)

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Entry: # 19
    Title: The Boy With Bong(o) Eyes
    Artist: Head Wax

Entry: # 3
    Title: NPR Render Doodle (needs a more creative namesmiley)

Entry: #8
    Title: Wired To The Music

HM
    Entry: #6

Pythagoras of Samos
    Artist: Alberto

There was something I liked about every entry.  Creative stuff. 

For some reason, I was drawn to the above selections, mostly because of textures and lighting.

I'm surprised that Head Wax hasn't received more votes.  Then again, I showed his entry to my wife, and she said, "Eww, gross!"smiley  But to my eyes, it is a masterpiece of texture and creativity.  Very abstract and filled with subtle details, yet somehow the whole exceeds the parts.  How much was planned, and how much was happy accident?  Whatever the answer, Head Wax does it again.

I also liked the textured feel to Diomede's "doodle."  His NPR stuff is frequently awesome.  I gotta learn how to do this!  Started with NPR a couple of days ago, and it is so much fun it is probably illegal.

Vyusur is a texture master (mistress?).  For a Carrara contest, I would like to see her do less in Blender and more in Carrara, but you can't argue with the result.  Very creative.

About 6 images tied for HM.  I really liked Alberto's well-crafted idea.  I just would have liked more light on the character.

• swordvisionsswordvisions Posts: 124
    edited March 2017

Entry: #15 - Mystic Music Land
    Artist: wgdjohn

Entry: #9 - Tango Sounds

Entry: # 19 - The Boy With Bong(o) Eyes

HM
    Entry: #6 - 
    Pythagoras of Samos

awesome job everyone.

Post edited by swordvisions on
    edited March 2017

Entry: # 19
    Title: The Boy With Bong(o) Eyes

Entry: # 3
    Title: NPR Render Doodle (needs a more creative namesmiley)

Entry: #8
    Title: Wired To The Music

HM
    Entry: #6

Pythagoras of Samos

There was something I liked about every entry.  Creative stuff. 

For some reason, I was drawn to the above selections, mostly because of textures and lighting.

I'm surprised that Head Wax hasn't received more votes.  Then again, I showed his entry to my wife, and she said, "Eww, gross!"smiley  But to my eyes, it is a masterpiece of texture and creativity.  Very abstract and filled with subtle details, yet somehow the whole exceeds the parts.  How much was planned, and how much was happy accident?  Whatever the answer, Head Wax does it again.

I also liked the textured feel to Diomede's "doodle."  His NPR stuff is frequently awesome.  I gotta learn how to do this!  Started with NPR a couple of days ago, and it is so much fun it is probably illegal.

Vyusur is a texture master (mistress?).  For a Carrara contest, I would like to see her do less in Blender and more in Carrara, but you can't argue with the result.  Very creative.

About 6 images tied for HM.  I really liked Alberto's well-crafted idea.  I just would have liked more light on the character.

thanks unifiedbrain, ;) . I try .... start off with a general idea and see what escapes. My approach is always to aim at more a hand made look and avoid the cg feel if I can. Of course it doesn't always work as I am faking it. Lol . Photo realism I admire but emotionally it leaves me feeling a little empty, because it leaves so little to the imagination. Images I admire suggest something without telling the whole story, they engage the viewer and ask them to be involved in completing the image (eg your wonderful cancan image where elements are off stage, so reminiscent of a degas composition)  They also have a temporal aspect that suggests and a past and a future - ie a narrative element over time. 

Post edited by Headwax on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited March 2017

and therein lies your answer... how each of us depict art is so vastly different and I'm glad we are not all the same..  

each one of the challenge entries is unique in it's own way and what you decide on is what pleasantly stimulates you to choose it... and as the Challenge Artist it is hard to implement a wide variety of stimulant to attract the majority of likes if that is your quest..

Just rambling on here.... but congrats to all the challenge entries... it's great to view... I was disapointed I missed out on entering an image this time around but I guess a wedding was a bit more important wink

carry on rendereing and doing your artistic stuff yes

Post edited by Stezza on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,026
    edited March 2017

It was a terrible shame that yours (Stezza) and MDO's did not make it in this month.  Really enjoyed them in the WIP thread.  Maybe we should implement some sort of permission indicator to allow the challenge coordinator to post seemingly abandoned WIPs under certain circumstances.  Everybody gets sidetracked as the entry thread approaches, from time to time.  Or, maybe we should open the entry thread earlier?  Now I am rambling. 

Post edited by Diomede on

Oh I am glad Stezza and MDO werent in it - gives the rest of us a chance ;)

No but seriously, it's a bummer. i'm sorry they missed out.

Anyways, it's all about learning from others and getting that sense of community happening - so I learn just as much from the wip thread as the entry thread

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,381

UnifiedBranin, thank you for your kind words. And thank you for your valuable suggestion!

head wax said:

thanks unifiedbrain, ;) . I try .... start off with a general idea and see what escapes. My approach is always to aim at more a hand made look and avoid the cg feel if I can. Of course it doesn't always work as I am faking it. Lol . Photo realism I admire but emotionally it leaves me feeling a little empty, because it leaves so little to the imagination. Images I admire suggest something without telling the whole story, they engage the viewer and ask them to be involved in completing the image (eg your wonderful cancan image where elements are off stage, so reminiscent of a degas composition)  They also have a temporal aspect that suggests and a past and a future - ie a narrative element over time. 

Thanks for sharing your thought process, and very well said (except maybe the Degas comparisonsmiley).

I am currently pretty one-dimensional.  Looking forward to learning techniques from you down the road, after I get through Phil's basic tutorial.

I wish that more voters here would give details about why they voted for a particular image.  I like hearing different perspectives.

edited March 2017

wow, well you are doing pretty well if you have only just started!

my tips?

post work is good :)

always render out a lot of passes

from memory (cant remember their exact names)

eg

shadow

coverage

colour

index

diffuse

etc etc

render to png or tiff

name the file before you do - that way you don't have to keep typing the name as you save the file!

you

use the index and the coverage passes to help you select different objects in your post work

Post edited by Headwax on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Sorry All I had a computer issue after the last windows 10 update and had to reinstall everything.

Entries are all closed and the voting begins.

I will extend the voting due to my lateness and have it end MARCH 22

Is voting over?  I thought it was extended until tomorrow night.

Voting not over - just gabbing.

Considering there are more entries than votes so far, it's good that there is another day

edited March 2017

Head Wax, you seem to have offered generous tips.  Unfortunately, I'm not far enough into Phil's instructions to follow you, sorry!

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

sorry UnifiedBrain, you will find those render pass things etc in the render room

(lucky I deleted half the post because I thought it was gobbley gook!! ;) )

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,524

Entry: # 1 - Title: Walk like a Bangle - Artist: Diomede

Entry: # 12 - Title: It Ain't Over Till the Fat Lady SWINGS! - Artist: UnifiedBrain

Entry #19 - The Boy With Bong(o) Eyes' - Artist: head wax

HM - Entry # 6 - Pythagoras of Samos  - Artist - Alberto

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Voting is now closed and I will start counting.

I will contact the winners by PM.

Thank you Chickenman again for taking over the reigns. :)

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

it was extra fun to see tie ins to the arts in render art

head wax said:

wow, well you are doing pretty well if you have only just started!

my tips?

post work is good :)

always render out a lot of passes

from memory (cant remember their exact names)

eg

shadow

coverage

colour

index

diffuse

etc etc

render to png or tiff

name the file before you do - that way you don't have to keep typing the name as you save the file!

you

use the index and the coverage passes to help you select different objects in your post work

OK, now I get it.  Just started reading about multipass (Yes Phil, I am only THAT far.  I often spend hours on a video.  Too much fun).

Head Wax, you say to use the PNG setting.  I assume that will work with Gimp?  I seem to remember that you use Gimp, but maybe you use the evil photoshop as well.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

multipass??

ha ha that's funny MistyRararaaa :)

UnifiedBrain wrote

OK, now I get it.  Just started reading about multipass (Yes Phil, I am only THAT far.  I often spend hours on a video.  Too much fun).

Head Wax, you say to use the PNG setting.  I assume that will work with Gimp?  I seem to remember that you use Gimp, but maybe you use the evil photoshop as well.

Oh I just use Photoshop Elements and Corel Painter 2017/16 , Oloneo HDR and a few  other things

PSE has enough for me.

If I want to match a palette I go to an old version of PhotoShop or use Corel painter ( you can take one image and make anotyher image use it's palette)

I use PNG because (I beleive)  it is lossless and you don't have to keep unticking 'embedded' in the render room

and the PNG images show up as images in my directory folders - PSD files just show up as icons.

After working on them in pse I save them as TIFF's (again lossless as far as I know) because Oloneo accepts Tiffs if I need to fine tune parts of the image detail or colour luminosity etc (I dont use it for HDRs mostly)

stay away from JPEG's because they compress the top 3 (?) lightest greyscales into one - never knew that before the debate on linear workflow thread here a year or two ago led by that genius who is PhilW

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/25644/make-your-most-realistic-renders-ever

multipass is good 

Misty,  ROFL... love that movie.

UB,  I stay away from jpeg except for an occasional pic on a web page or where required.  I got into the habit of using png well over a decade ago. I use png for both Carrara and DS renders.  Png is a lossless format... Jpeg is lossy even at it's least compression.  In order for jpeg to compress it will take colors, pixels, which are close and combine them into all one single color. In a paint program I'll always keep a copy of what I'm working on in it's, Corel PSP, native format since it will retain even more information to work with than any format I know of... with the bonus of saving all the layers also.  TIFF retains all info in the original image... it saves as a RAW image... the higher end digital cameras save to this... may be reffered to as DCR, digital camera raw, depending on the camera make.  Hope that helps a bit.

Andrew and UB,  Thanks... I'll keep Multipass on my list of things to do once I get into postwork.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I really enjoyed this challenge, to be honest, ignoring the fact that Carrara is still out of my comfort zone lol, the whole theme this time was out of my comfort zone so I was delighted that I really had to challenge myself to do this.  As always, many thanks to the people who were so generous with their help. 

I thought I had voted but apparently not, as I don't see my votes anywhere.  I sometimes have a bad habit of forgetting to hit the post comment button after going back and forth looking at stuff. 

I think all of the entries were very cool and really showcased how versatile this program is. Looking forward to being challenged again in April!

edited March 2017
    head wax said:
    Oh I just use Photoshop Elements and Corel Painter 2017/16 , Oloneo HDR and a few  other things

PSE has enough for me.

If I want to match a palette I go to an old version of PhotoShop or use Corel painter ( you can take one image and make anotyher image use it's palette)

I use PNG because (I beleive)  it is lossless and you don't have to keep unticking 'embedded' in the render room

and the PNG images show up as images in my directory folders - PSD files just show up as icons.

After working on them in pse I save them as TIFF's (again lossless as far as I know) because Oloneo accepts Tiffs if I need to fine tune parts of the image detail or colour luminosity etc (I dont use it for HDRs mostly)

stay away from JPEG's because they compress the top 3 (?) lightest greyscales into one -

Thanks for the software advice!  You apparently don't use Gimp, so I guess that I need to find out for myself if it works with multipass.  I spent a few months learning Gimp before I got Carrara.

I always use PNG, so I'm good there.

head wax said:

never knew that before the debate on linear workflow thread here a year or two ago led by that genius who is PhilW

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/25644/make-your-most-realistic-renders-ever

I read that whole thread a couple of weeks ago.  Probably the single most important thread I've seen to date, at least for lighting.

And thanks, John, for the detailed information as well.  I'm not jumping into multipass yet.  Right now, I'm more interested in seeing what Carrara can do without assistance.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

I really enjoyed this challenge, to be honest, ignoring the fact that Carrara is still out of my comfort zone lol, the whole theme this time was out of my comfort zone so I was delighted that I really had to challenge myself to do this.  As always, many thanks to the people who were so generous with their help. 

The only way to get into that comfort zone is to use Carrara every night or so. :)   The Challenges are great to learn... but I've gone a step beyond, mostly modeling, and try to do something entirely different a couple times or more a month.  From your Art Studio page, Ice Dragon Art, it's plain to see you have it in you for DS.

I thought I had voted but apparently not, as I don't see my votes anywhere.  I sometimes have a bad habit of forgetting to hit the post comment button after going back and forth looking at stuff.

Have you tried using my text file listing all the entries?  I just open it up while I'm looking at them... in my text editor, Notepad works, and just cut and paste the ones I like to the top... then I simply copy the ones I've decided to vote for and paste them to my comment, vote, and hit "Post". Once I have it posted I'll then go back through it and tidy it up as well as add any extra comments... which I could add in my text editor if I wanted.  I also create the text for my entries with UltraEdit but could use Notepad or another instead.

I think all of the entries were very cool and really showcased how versatile this program is. Looking forward to being challenged again in April!

yes