CCMP Year 1: Vote for your favorite Story Line

Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
edited January 2013 in Carrara Discussion

We've been busy at work thinking on story lines for the Year 1 Project. Please vote for your favorite story line. Below the poll you will find a synopsis of each of the story lines as I understand them so far. Please review the synopsis and vote on your favorite. I have presented the ideas in the order in which they were proposed.

Thanks for your participation.

Alien Visitors Synopsis:
A large "Mother Ship" Type vessel approaches Earth. It breaks apart into smaller vessels, and each of these vessels then travel to various different locations on Earth, from snowy mountain tops to forests to deep undersea scenarios. After they conclude their exploration, the Aliens return to space, reassemble or re-dock onto the original mother vessel, and then fly off toward the Milky May.

Descendants of Ray Dream Synopsis:
There is a race of sentient robots which battle for control over the power of Carrara. The "Carrara" is a type of device (shaped like a letter C, an amulet type of item) created by a long lost ancient civilization that was highly advanced. Descendants of the original ray dream (descendants of that original race) for which there are very few left, are the only members who can access the full power of the Carrara device. The Carrara device enables time and space travel via space-time portals, it can create force fields and other notions. Ideally, the Carrara has limitless power, but it too can fall into the wrong hands leading to incredible destruction. For this reason Carrara users must be carefully trained otherwise they risk more than they would gain in trying to use the device. The story begins when a young descendant is attacked by his powerful Uncle. The uncle assumes that he can control the entire Universe if he can collect his nephew's Carrara device. The teacher and protector and step father of the kid robot defends him enough for the kid bot to escape to a safe location by using the Carrara device. The Uncle spends the next several years hunting down the escaped kid, only to find the kid as an adult capable of fighting him off and saving the day.

Overlord Carrara Synopsis: For Sample Artwork follow this link: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14495/P60

Overlord ( on Carrara world )- What news

Tech 1 - Zim 6 is ready
Hunters are live

Tech 2 - overlord - we have found a world with prey - they call it earth

Overlord - excellent - How long to finish Zim 6

Tech 2 - 8 Revolution

Overlord - Commence

Tech 1 - we are sending the collectors now overlord

Going South Synopsis: For sample artwork follow this link: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14495/P105
This is one of the stories of three Canadian mallard ducks named Zach, Wack and Quack. Brothers actually but very different of feather. The ducks knew this year would be not much different then the others - Another year putting up with those big, know it all, braggart geese. They could not stand sharing the lake with these guys and as fall approached it only got worse. As goose after goose would tease and make fun of the silly smaller ducks incessantly. However unknowing to the other brothers Wack (Determined to change the status quo) makes a rather large bet with the leader of the Geese of lake Summertime that he and his brothers would beat all the Geese to Mississippi this year. The leader, a goose named Honker laughed heartily at the sheer ridiculousness that these three silly ducks could beat his gaggle. He accepted the bet and knew in his heart there was no way he could lose either playing fair or not. The adventure begins with a series of adventures and misadventures as the three brothers attempt to beat the geese to the southern migration spot. Along the way they meet a dragonfly named Copter and a frog named Crocker who aid them along the way. In the end after many mishaps, the Ducks do arrive ahead of the geese. Oh and that bet…....it was simple. If the ducks beat the geese the geese had to shut up all winter. And so it was .......the most peaceful southern vacation of Wack, Zach , Quack and Copter.

Please let me know if I have omitted any story lines we discussed in the other thread. Thanks in advance to the moderators for helping out with setting up this poll.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,191
    edited December 1969

Poll added.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Richard!!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

you left out Cowrara!
    Guess Sockratease and I will need to collab on our OWN project!

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

the way the voting is going - guess I will have to do one by myself
    fun time any way

edited December 1969

my vote up for grabs if anyone wants it, I cannot read results otherwise!!

• 3dView3dView Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I think the "Going South' story can have a lot of possibilities and McGuiver's original characters and ideas incubated what we have right now. This is kind of general storyline as a starting point and a framework to use for the Movie Project . Hopefully McGuiver can weigh in on some more since it was his duck idea to begin with.

Any choice is going to have some folks happy and some not. Hopefully, even with a story you are not so fond of people will work on the project and show what can be done within the Carrara Community and Carrara itself.

There are lots of opportunities for people to participate with this project and it will takes lots of participation to get it going and becoming something real.

• McGuiverMcGuiver Posts: 219
    edited December 1969

I will help when & however I can....on whatever project is chosen.

By looking at all the animated films I have watched, or purchased throughout the years, I see the storyline and characters must draw the audience into the film. Drama, comedy, fright and feelings toward the character(s) will all help.
    My personal preference is comedy......laughter is always great!

I will, however, obstain from voting....others can decide. :)

edited January 2013

McGuiver said:
    I will help when & however I can....on whatever project is chosen.

By looking at all the animated films I have watched, or purchased throughout the years, I see the storyline and characters must draw the audience into the film. Drama, comedy, fright and feelings toward the character(s) will all help.
    My personal preference is comedy......laughter is always great!

I will, however, obstain from voting....others can decide. :)

So I voted for you!
    even though I am just an interested bysatander
    Going South is the clear leader BTW

update visitors gaining ground rapidly!!

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Voted! :cheese:

• animajik_6696dda723animajik_6696dda723 Posts: 109
    edited December 1969

Also voted.

-AniMajik

edited December 1969

----------Voting is always good fun -----so hopefully some more folks join in.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

when does the voting end ?

edited December 1969

Im not sure if Rashad --had a time limit set in mind -----since its new I would guess at least a few days maybe till weekend?

edited December 1969

The results of the poll are getting interesting. I wouldn't want to call it a win too soon. Let's give it one more day, then close the voting. The race is definitely heating up. Very happy with the results of the poll so far but its not my final decision, its up to the commune.

FYI... ANYONE from the community can vote, not just those who plan to participate. I would have expected 50 or more votes by now. Where is everyone?

• animajik_6696dda723animajik_6696dda723 Posts: 109
    edited December 1969

The results of the poll are getting interesting. I wouldn't want to call it a win too soon. Let's give it one more day, then close the voting. The race is definitely heating up. Very happy with the results of the poll so far but its not my final decision, its up to the commune.

FYI... ANYONE from the community can vote, not just those who plan to participate. I would have expected 50 or more votes by now. Where is everyone?

Well, I'd have missed this post altogether if I hadn't seen a post with a link to this on Renderosity's C forum.
    It takes a while as not everyone frequent the Daz forum on a daily basis.

-AniMajik

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Since you asked... Perhaps a significant portion of the community is not satisfied with any of the choices.

edited December 1969

Well that could have been another choice for sure. Its very hard to get a consensus on anything these days especially with creative ideas but given we wanted to get something started and remember these are just very quick thrown together story lines ----Whatever direction we go ...they all need lots of work to be entertaining aside from the technical creation.

Rashad-- I think waiting for more folks to roll in would be good idea. Maybe wait till you get 50 results. There is already some movement on asset creation ...so folks are starting to work together even without an official story line first and can keep busy creating and learning.

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
    edited December 1969

I am sure if another story is posted and is really good it could get done, so if you have something perculating please let us know.:-)

de3an said:

Since you asked... Perhaps a significant portion of the community is not satisfied with any of the choices.

• ckalan1ckalan1 Posts: 88
    edited December 1969

I would like to talk everyone into working on CLICS.

CLICS is a dark comedy about the perils of corporate greed and how the efforts of one young girl to keep the memory of her best friend alive ends up saving Earth from total destruction.

By the way it has robots,. cheerleaders, aliens from outer space, hot cars and other stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBUgaKmA8vA&feature=g-crec-p&list=PL5HvbZc6_NFxjeKQ4bVMHN3wirC70EdrF

I have the script done and a bunch of storyboards and I also own a movie distribution company.

You may have read this before but I also directed a feature length movie via the internet about 11 years ago. I coordinated the project from my office and worked with people all over the US and one guy in Canada. The project was called Two More Tomorrows. It was done by a bunch of guys on the DVXuser forum.

Anyway, I think you all should work on CLICS. I can send the script to anyone who wants to read it.

So that is my vote.

Craig

edited January 2013

Ckalan1

Well, the clics youtube intro movie is different and a little hard to understand what is going on. You can see what others have to say if they like it or not.

Cheers,

Post edited by mmoir on
  • ckalan1ckalan1 Posts: 88
    edited January 2013

CLICS main plot Summary

After the tragic death of 18-year-old Darla’s father, she and her mother move to Irvine California. Darla joins the Video Yearbook class and gets the “cheer squad” assignment. She becomes fast friends with Julie, the most popular girl in school. Without warning, Julie gets kidnapped. Darla is devastated and finds solace on the Internet. She starts an on-line romance with a stranger named Luke.
    Darla doesn’t know that Luke is a spy. He works with an evil scientist, Sal Bore, from an alien planet on the far side of our galaxy. Sal cloned sheep that carried an organism that killed every teenage girl on their planet. Now they need customers. So, they plan to kidnap and clone the best shoppers in the universe: cheerleaders from Irvine, California to replace their depleted customer base on their planet.
    Luke sees Darla in the flesh, falls in love, has a change of heart, and decides to foil the plot. When Sal finds out, he decides to kill Luke and destroy Earth just for fun. Darla is the only one who can save Luke and Earth from total annihilation.

Here is a render of Darla

Darla_with_new_light_v3.png
    1920 x 960 - 791K
    Post edited by ckalan1 on
    edited December 1969

ckalan1 said:
    CLICS main plot Summary

After the tragic death of 18-year-old Darla’s father, she and her mother move to Irvine California. Darla joins the Video Yearbook class and gets the “cheer squad” assignment. She becomes fast friends with Julie, the most popular girl in school. Without warning, Julie gets kidnapped. Darla is devastated and finds solace on the Internet. She starts an on-line romance with a stranger named Luke.
    Darla doesn’t know that Luke is a spy. He works with an evil scientist, Sal Bore, from an alien planet on the far side of our galaxy. Sal cloned sheep that carried an organism that killed every teenage girl on their planet. Now they need customers. So, they plan to kidnap and clone the best shoppers in the universe: cheerleaders from Irvine, California to replace their depleted customer base on their planet.
    Luke sees Darla in the flesh, falls in love, has a change of heart, and decides to foil the plot. When Sal finds out, he decides to kill Luke and destroy Earth just for fun. Darla is the only one who can save Luke and Earth from total annihilation.

I really like this. I was hoping to include it in the poll. If I would have had a synopsis such as this I could have included it. I suppose it's too late now? Is it?

Whether the project will be a pure Carrara from top to bottom exercise is probably yet to be determined, but I think I can see many people already leaning that way. If it were then Darla would have to be rebuilt from within Carrara...which could actually be kinds sweet...but really challenging to match the current Darla. I like the way the humor unfolds in your projects. Clever.

edited January 2013

Okay. So here is a breakdown of organizational structure I'd like to implement for this project.

Production Team
    Rashad Carter = Senior Producer
    MMoir = Senior Production Consultant

Age of Armor = Junior Consultant
    Holly Wetcircuit = Junior Consultant
    Wendy = Junior Consultant
    Head Wax = Junior Consultant
    Dartanbeck = Junior Consultant
    McQuiver = Junior Consultant
    CKalan1 = Junior Consultant
    Bigh = Junior Consultant

I would operate kind of as a Producer. I would coordinate all parties and ensure that everyone gets what they need from the other parties. I would set preliminary deadlines and ensure that they are kept, as well as provide updates to the community about the status of the project. MMoir will serve as my primary consultant. I will make very few decisions without his input. MMoir will keep me realistic in my expectations. All final content must be approved by either myself or MMoir. We may individually take on overseeing different aspects so that no one has to try to keep an eye on everything. As Production Consultant MMoir can pop into any project at any stage and add his technical and artistic input, which should also help streamline the overall process.

Junior Production Consultants are individuals who have useful feedback but may not have time to take on full roles. I encourage the Junior consultants to free to contribute as much insight as you have time for, it is much appreciated

Artistic Direction Team

Antara = Senior Artistic Director
    3D View = Senior Art Consultant

Continuity is essential. All preliminary artistic content related to the project will need to have approval provided by at least one member of the Senior Art team before it can be considered by MMoir or myself. These two individuals are expected to determine a look and feel that is both engaging and functional. They will tell us what the style of the piece is. As needed, each will head small Junior teams focused on the creation of certain types of content. Hopefully the two will agree on the general vision for the project and if there is ever disagreement MMoir or myself will need to make the final determination. You will work closely with the writer of the community chosen storyline to build the storyboards.This team will work closely with the Technical Direction Team to produce final products. You two will determine preliminary schemes, themes, angles and shots based on the feedback you receive and present them to myself and Mmoir for final approvals. All community members who want to provide input and resources regarding the artistic direction of the piece needs to present their ideas to one of these individuals. Fun Fun Fun!

Technical Direction Team
    CyBoRgTy = Senior Technical Director
    Roygee = Senior Technical Consultant

You are charged with making sure we have good technical footing. You and your Junior teams will build relevant 3d models (in Carrara preferably) and provide rigging based on feedback received from the Artistic Direction team. It is up to you to find ways to make it all happen, to animate it and make it move naturally. The general flow of the piece is in your hands. You will determine the final fps, pixel dimensions, and acceptable render time per frame rate. You will head the junior teams that will provide post production including music editing, and After Effects

I think that more or less covers it. I consider the entire moderation team to be on our side, they are our Daz3d affiliation for now. We need them only to make sure they guys and gals upstairs know that we are up to something down here and that they are welcome to come down and have a look.

Naturally, the Junior teams are going to be where a lot of the work gets done. That's where the rest of the community comes in. With the leadership of each of these individuals in these areas and withe the volunteering of resources from the community, we can do this thing right.

Is everyone comfortable with their designated positions? Does anyone feel they might be better utilized in some other post? Please let me know. Otherwise, let's get to know each other as team members over the next few days while we wait for the storyline vote to complete.

Post edited by Rashad Carter on
    edited January 2013

lol! while I am watching this with interest as it involves Carrara, I never intended being involved in creating this Proffesional movie undertaking!
    kinda thought I said so already in this voting thread!
    I am however willing to promote it on my Youtube channel if desired with links and trailers etc, I have a large if somewhat weird following!
    for me 3D is an entertaining hobby, nothing more and have never prentended to be anything but a player who likes virtual dollies and toys.
    the way others do Facebook games or online gaming etc.
    my and maybe Sockratease's (if he chooses to join in) Cowrara aside project, is just a bit of a lark and if anyone wants to play along they can too, maybe in conjuction with the "serious" project for fun practice.
    if any do do videos I would indeed create a playlist on my channel as I can the serious one.

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
    edited January 2013

Yes, the story seems good and understandable now with this synopsis. I guess will see the reaction to the story in this thread and take it from there.
    Mike

ckalan1 said:
    CLICS main plot Summary

I really like this. I was hoping to include it in the poll. If I would have had a synopsis such as this I could have included it. I suppose it's too late now? Is it?

Whether the project will be a pure Carrara from top to bottom exercise is probably yet to be determined, but I think I can see many people already leaning that way. If it were then Darla would have to be rebuilt from within Carrara...which could actually be kinds sweet...but really challenging to match the current Darla. I like the way the humor unfolds in your projects. Clever.

Post edited by mmoir on
    edited December 1969

de3an said:

It really looks like there are only a few artists interested, otherwise, I would think more would have submitted their ideas.

By looking at all of the render thread submissions, there is a great percentage of the community who submit space / sci-fi renders, followed by chicks / dudes with swords or guns, followed by castles or temples.

29 - space /sci-fi
    23 - chicks / dudes with swords, guns or spears
    9 - castles / temples

Hummmmm...........

edited January 2013

Mcguiver- Another thing that I think reduces some "participation" so far is that basically the way 8.5 has dragged on and the very common complaint threads because of that-----many folks probably have stopped dropping in the forums very regularily. as it really has not been all that positive a experience of late.

That said- hopefully with some more time many more folks will chime in as this movie project is one of the most positive things to hit Carrara and these forums for 18 months. Smiles.

Rashad --thanks for putting out a little bit of structure for the upcoming movie project and I think this can be a living document added and corrected as we move forward. It looks like right now we have a lot of consultants . Speaking of which - I notice Mcguiver-- not on the list and I know his time is limited but said he could do what he could. His talents would greatly help indeed in any capacity.

Also Looking at the Artistic Direction group. (2 ) I do not have but Antara has some drawing skills ...but if we are to work on storyboards of which I would love to work on it would help if we could garnish another very good artist who can draw well. Storyboards need to be more than telling just where stuff is..ideally they can transmit things like emotion, tension, danger, atmosphere etc. Without a couple of good artists these things are hard to convey and if they are not conveyed the modelers, animators , directors have to figure things out or guess which is not a good thing. And there are going to be lots of them for a movie project.
    So any one with good drawing skills ----and wants to join in the Artistic Direction Group on storyboard creation ---------let us know.

Post edited by 3dView on
    edited December 1969

Another thing to consider if / before modeling characters is what part each character will play...by that I mean...will this character be talking, what emotions will the character need, will the character need special morphs to allow him / her to stretch or contort in some bizzare way, will a foot need to grow out of the dudes forehead, etc....Basic background characters may not need this special attention :cheese:

As far as storyboard direction....my only wish is that we, as a group, can make something both interesting and different. Something that will make people say "thats unique, and very well thought out".

IE: If the story is an alien, sci-fi, or space theme....it can't be yet another version of Star Wars, or Star Trek.....even if it's Geese Wars or Duck Trek.......Ya know it could go that way. ;-)

edited December 1969

Don't let me start thinkin'.....It could be a combination......."Alien visitors surveying the earth abducting innocent duck flying south" :-)

edited January 2013

Mcguiver
    --indeed your character insights are so very on target. Its just like the old closeup vs background for models. We do not need detail where its not seen but when it is........it has to be powerfully well done. Indeed characters , story , emotion , laughter, atmosphere ....makes the movie . It is so critically important.

And you know I think your tongue in cheek smirk of Geese Wars , Duck Trek is funny but there are ways we could almost meld some space with the ducks........I could envision a maybe slightly longer scene where the ducks or geese happen to be "resting:" at a drive in movie theatre with of course the alien invasion movie on the screen playing in the background ....simple device but that kind of thing can maybe help get more folks interested. I really do not wish this to be a close vote and half the folks do not help out because they love space stuff or duck stuff and do not want to work on those other things.

Someone wrote recently that they thought whatever Movie project we did would be judged by and against the likes of the best of the open source Movies from Blender and the like. I agree. I also think if its not special in almost every way......we are not going to be seen as doing anything of value. Conversely, the opportunity to do something special is ours to seize.

Post edited by 3dView on