Daz Noob need help finding things to buy for M4.

pstudiospstudios Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi, Hopefully someone can help me here, I'm not really a Daz user, but I use Poser Pro 2010 (haven't upgraded to 2012 yet not sure if I will) in conjunction with other 3D apps like Lightwave, 3DCoat, Blender etc. i have bought figures and clothing from the Daz store, but I find the whole Daz product line very confusing. Alot of times stuff I buy is a waste because it doesn't work with the character (even though it says it does) or because the resolution of the textures is too small or it doesn't work with Morphs or is incompatible with some other addon to the M4 or V4 character (I found that in particular to be the case with "The Girl" product).

Particularly I'm having a hard time figuring out what truly works with what and how to find what I need to buy which works with what I'm using.

At present, I am working with the M4 character and don't want to go to the next step up (which is Genesis I believe) because I want the character to work in Poser Pro 2010, work with the morphs I've purchased so far and basically I just want more clothing for M4. Or for M4 with the morphs I've applied to tweak it. So even though I click the "compatible with M4" filter on the store, after I buy and install, things like Basic Wear shorts for M4 don't conform properly to my M4 figure when applied to it and then cut through his hips and butt. So I bought some odd 3rd party product called Wardrobe Wizard plugin for Poser which is supposed to fix things like this, but it seems like a waste of $ because it doesn't work and seems you need to have knowledge of the products you bought like who the heck Adam or Jesse is or whatever in order to correctly apply one bit of clothing to your figure. Plus that addon seems abandoned - I can't find any help for it. It's all overwhelming and frankly I just want clothes on my fairly standard character I bought here.

Really I am just trying to buy clothing that is NOT fantasy, NOT sexual, or elven or S&M and is just basic everyday clothing -- particularly I am having a hard time finding sports wear (that is not baggy basketball stuff) just basic shorts, t-shirts, selection of running shoes, sunglasses - basic stuff - but I need a variety of them. It seems there are 435 different fishnet nipple rings but 1 Basic Wear for M4?? Sorry, I truly don't mean to sound difficult, but hopefully someone here would be kind enough to help direct me to more varied regular clothing that fits for Michael M4 and later for Victoria V4. Are there other stores that sell a wide variety of quality clothing for M4 & V4 that is normal and not fantasy, sci fi, or sexual?

Can anyone help? I really don't want to use Daz Studio yet, because at the moment I have a workflow that works for my tools with Poser and can explore that later. So I need help finding, and buying realistic normal clothing (for sports or active athletic wear) for M4 & V4 and then making them work to fit the morphs I've applied to these characters in Poser Pro 2012.

Thanks for any help or guidance!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited January 2013

Wardrobe Wizard is included with Poser Pro 2010 - though you would need the Michael 4 plugin from PhilC to convert to or from M4. However, the basic clothing should fit a basic Michael 4 and should also support the Morphs++ set at least. You might want to look at the magnet sets from Lyrra and/or Netherworks if you are using morphs that are not supported by the clothes you want to use - but if you create your own morphs, in 3D Coat for example, you will need to create matching morphs in the clothing (and of course you can do that to match the add-on morphs too, without needing to buy anything more). For that matter, PP2010 has the morph brush tool which is like a very simple 3D Coat or ZBrush for adjusting mesh within the application.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Everyday wear for M$. There are some here.

Do be aware that you will need to check out the Dynamic items, because many of them will not work in Poser.

http://www.daz3d.com/clothing-accessories/everyday-clothing?compat_figures=26&dir=asc&limit=60&order=name

• pstudiospstudios Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

thanks, as far as I know, there was no Wardrob Wizard in Poser Pro 2010, I ended up having to buy that separately. But either way, I haven't found it terribly useful.

Can you please tell me where I can find that PhilC plugin please?

Also, so if I am making M4's morphs like 0.2 Bodybuilder 0.5 definition, 0.2 Traps 0.3 Lats, etc do I then have to apply morphs++ to the Basic Wear tshirt and then set it's morph settings to be the same (if that is even possible??)

I noticed there is a Tshirt Adjust and L & R Sleeve loosen, but the tshirt adjust looses the conformity when I adjust it to not cut thru after setting the body shape on M4.
    Can you just explain something fundamental that I am missing in my knowledge about Daz characters and their clothing in Poser?

For example:
    - I add M4 figure to Poser
    - I add various morphs to Poser from the Poser library by double clicking on them - I assume it adds them to the correct body part in M4. Such as adding Morphs++ Morphs INJs and various other ones that give me settings like facial look of Stephen + upper head morphs and other things so I can totally customize the face and body
    - I add Basic Wear tshirt to Poser by double clicking. I do not parent anything, but instead Conform to M4
    - try to figure out how to adjust shirt to not cut through body after I have tweaked M4 to my liking -- obviously tshirt fits for base shape.
    - why do the runners lose conforming ability to feet if I adjust leg length? Does that also change foot size? How does one normally fix this sort of thing?

Thanks for your help with this. I will buy more content if I can be sure it won't go to waste.

One last noob question -- I assume M4 has its own UV sets and all M4 textures match that? So if I wanted to paint them myself, Could I load the object in 3DCoat - paint and then export textures and reload those back into Poser? thanks!

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Everyday wear for M$. There are some here.

Do be aware that you will need to check out the Dynamic items, because many of them will not work in Poser.

http://www.daz3d.com/clothing-accessories/everyday-clothing?compat_figures=26&dir=asc&limit=60&order=name

Thanks, is there a bigger selection anywhere? Like is Daz the best place to buy them or are there other good stores to complement Daz? I'm finding it hard to find good shirts and variety of shoes (particularly athletic ones). thx for your help

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Unfortunately poor old M4 doesn't really get a good variety of clothing. It is something many of us have bemoaned in the past.

You may find some things on other sites, such as Renderosity, RDNA and Poser Addicts, but I never find there store search or categories as easy to work with, so it does seem to be just a question of browsing through.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

You might want to try ShareCG.com as well. It's a freebie site but well worth browsing. It is a bit of a hit and miss as far as quality goes but you have nothing to lose except the time it takes to download and test something. For plain old shirts and stuff you might actually have more luck with freebies as the stores seem hung up on 'hip' and skimpy clothing. Yes yes I know naked butts sell more stuff but some people just want 'normal'.

• MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

pstudios said:
    thanks, as far as I know, there was no Wardrob Wizard in Poser Pro 2010, I ended up having to buy that separately. But either way, I haven't found it terribly useful.

Can you please tell me where I can find that PhilC plugin please?

The plugin is available from PhilC at http://philc.net/
    AFAIK, PhilC does not sell thru any store except his own.
    Even SmithMicro does not sell Wardrobe Wizard separately, but only bundled with various Poser versions.

Maybe you should mention this problem to PhilC, he is an outstanding gentleman

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Unfortunately poor old M4 doesn't really get a good variety of clothing. It is something many of us have bemoaned in the past.

Exactly. A lot of outfits that were available for Gen 3 never got converted to Gen4. This is where you would use wardrobe wizard to convert clothing over, although you may need to use a modelling tool to clean up the converted items.

You may find some things on other sites, such as Renderosity, RDNA and Poser Addicts, but I never find there store search or categories as easy to work with, so it does seem to be just a question of browsing through.

Unfortunately, some outfits available for M4 are no longer for sale on some sites. Poserworld also has a few outfits for M4, including sports outfits. Poseraddicts has a few sports outfits that you could try converting to M4.

Aside from learning how to make the clothing you need, you'll probably have to convert and fix clothing, or you may need to look at some poser material products to assign different materials to the same outfit to give you more selection. Since most mens clothing consists of a shirt, pants and underwear you can just assign new materials to that or use shaders.

edited December 1969

Thank you everyone for your your replys. I will check out PhilC's stuff and ask him. I can't recall where I bought Wardrobe Wizard from originally - I think he updated his site drastically since then.

Can anyone answer another question for me? I have M4 in Poser - checked that the Body is zeroed on X, I made sure Symmetry was copied from Left to Right and then exported to LWO. In lightwave there is no symmetry - well it looks close but there are rounding errors or some tenths of a mm difference which means symmetrical point and poly selection doesn't work. Is there a trick to getting Poser to export this Daz character EXACTLY symmetrical?

thanks again for the help!

edited December 1969

How are you exporting?
    Are you using PoserFusion for Lightwave?

edited December 1969

No I'm not using PoserFusion for Lightwave because I am using LW 11.03 and SmithMicro seem to have disabled PoserFusion 2010 (which comes with Poser Pro 2010) for LW11. Poser Fusion 2010 worked with LW 9.x. I really would rather not upgrade to Poser Pro 2012 if possible.

I'm just in Poser Pro 2010 going File >. Export > Lightwave (LWO2 latest LWO format) and then importing that into LW Modeler 11.03

I was under the impression PoserFusion was primarily for Layout which loads poser scenes in to the Layout animator of lightwave. I didn't think PoserFusion had any Modeler plugin that brought the LWO in. I just thought exporting directly from Poser's file menu was the way to go if you aren't doing animations and just want the model to tweak.

thanks for your help

edited January 2013

PoserFusion creates an LWS that references a separate LWO for each figure or prop that is in the Poser PZ3 you bring in.

The export from File Menu and Fusion both create LW version 6 files. I cannot find a reference that says that they are exactly the same or have slight differences. I suspect there are or can be some differences since rigging is included with fusion along with the option to triangulate the mesh. The file sizes are certainly different between same M4 exported from file menu and fusion

As for differences in symmetry, there may be some due to roundoff. M4 is only 76 cm high (about 30") in Lightwave because poser units are so small. The symmetry function in poser does not effect the mesh as such. It sets the joint positions at same angle on both sides of figure.

Post edited by Medzin on
    edited December 1969

I'm glad you told me that about the sizing. I was having a hard time figuring out why getting real world sized props and figures into and out of Poser was such a hard task. I eventually figured out the scaling from Poser to LW should be 240.48062% and to scale them to fit a figure in Poser they should be scaled 41.583393%

Do you know if Poser Pro 2012 has this fixed? How different is Daz Studio from Poser, I already know a number of apps and really dont have the time to learn another, but if it's easy and doesn't cause as many problems going into and out of the app as Poser 2010 does, then maybe I should try Daz Studio?

edited December 1969

The scaling in PP2012 is the same as other versions. They base exports in Poser Native Units (PNU)

DAZ Studio does not export LWO at this time.
    On OBJ import/export it does give option for source/destination application.
    Choosing Lightwave as destination for OBJ gives proper scaling.

Studio also has options for Collada and FBX, but I have never used them except to see if they actually worked.

As with any application, ease of use is very subjective.
    For me, becoming comfortable in DS took a very long period.
    I did not have comparable difficulty with Poser, Lightwave or 3DS Max.