Ice Dragon Art WIP's

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I have noticed as well that the more I learn in other programs the easier things get in other programs as well.

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035

Check you gift card balance.  It might already be applied.  Does that to me all the time.  Tells me to redeem it I click on it and then get an error message.  But apparently clicking on it applies it.  So I check the balance first.

He had a store credit balance or that is where the gift card went. I got it figured out and it worked ok. :) It's amazing what I miss when I don't use or do something. lol

Glad you got it sorted!

edited March 2017

EFFORTLESS COOL - Genesis Male converted to Genesis 2 Female.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well this outfit translated to females.  Changing the materials on the shirt turned this into a lovely casual outfit for G2F. The shoes convert well also but I'm no super thrilled with them for a female and would put her in heals or sandals with this.

EFORTLESS COOL G2F G1.png
    1261 x 2040 - 1M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    edited March 2017

Glad you got it sorted!

Thanks we do also. :)

That is pretty good. Sandals would be ok too. My family picked on me about wearing guys shoes. I started out buying hiking boots with steel toes for work and a pair of leather casuals, because the women's shoes really sucked and were pink and what not. I wear shoes out quickly for some reason. lol

I am glad that works for converting shoes there are some earlier generation shoes I like really well.

Post edited by Liana on

Thanks!  I actually like a lot of the male shoes and would not be adverse to wearing the pair that came with this outfit myself lol.  They look comfortable but looked odd on the model for soem reason.

edited March 2017

This is the Starlight Dress for Genesis that is one of todays freebies.  Super cute little black dress and converts well to G2F

STARLIGHT DRESS G2F G1.png
    1261 x 2040 - 1M
    edited March 2017

And the Elven Dress for Genesis on Genesis 2.  This turned out really well, down to the tiara and hood everything fitted quite smoothly.  I did have to increase the breast area a tiny bit, but since all of the morphs transfer it was not an issue. Also the GIS outfit for the men translates beautifully to the G2F.

ELVEN DRESS G2F G1.png
    1261 x 2040 - 2M
    gis OUTFT G2F G1.png
    1261 x 2040 - 1M
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Sonja,  Please let me know... is Sickle Dress Rig Genesis 2 Female the correct product for converting clothing to later generations... does it also work on any gen of men's clothing also?  I'd skipped over it since it didn't mention or show anything other than for Dresses.

I'll go back to lurking mode where I can admire all your renders. :)

edited March 2017
    wgdjohn said:

Sonja,  Please let me know... is Sickle Dress Rig Genesis 2 Female the correct product for converting clothing to later generations... does it also work on any gen of men's clothing also?  I'd skipped over it since it didn't mention or show anything other than for Dresses.

No need to lurk feel free to comment any time!  This one is for converting Genesis clothing to Genesis 2 Females.  There is a Tunic rig for converting Genesis clothing to Genesis 2 Males.  Wear Them All is to convert all clothing to Genesis 3 from v4 m4 to genesis 2 clothing.  One for the females, one for the males, although I think you can get the bundle for that slightly cheaper.

This is definitely not just dresses, which is what I thought as well.  I have sucessfully converted pants, shirts, tunics, dresses, capes, hoods,tiaras and headbands, arm bracers, rings, bracelets, necklaces, socks, shoes, boots,gauntlets, and stockings.

edited March 2017

For the most part it sounds like you have really good luck with it. It would be interesting to see how well the ' Wear Them All is to convert all clothing to Genesis 3 from v4 m4 to genesis 2 clothing' works in comparison.

Post edited by Liana on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    wgdjohn said:

No need to lurk feel free to comment any time!  This one is for converting Genesis clothing to Genesis 2 Females.  There is a Tunic rig for converting Genesis clothing to Genesis 2 Males.  Wear Them All is to convert all clothing to Genesis 3 from v4 m4 to genesis 2 clothing.  One for the females, one for the males, although I think you can get the bundle for that slightly cheaper.

This is definitely not just dresses, which is what I thought as well.  I have sucessfully converted pants, shirts, tunics, dresses, capes, hoods,tiaras and headbands, arm bracers, rings, bracelets, necklaces, socks, shoes, boots,gauntlets, and stockings.

Great... now have them all Dress rig, Tunic rig as well as Wear Them All.   Not too sure about the latter, Wear Them All - Autofitting Clones and Clothing Smoothers for Genesis 3 Female(s) and the other for G3 Male(s),  since they use clones... hmmm I wonder will it always need the clones and clothing smoothers or does it actually convert the clothing entirely.??  [puzzled look]  BTW: Do you use Genesis Generation X2 for converting morphs?

On a diff topic... I've added a mini tutorial on how to create a letter, O, in my Modeling thread.  It's rather easy, IMO.

Hey all!... Sonja, myself and others have Carrara rendered scenes in the Carrara Challenge #31 Music For My Eyes Voting Thread  please feel free to vote for your choice!  Voting closes on March 22, 2017.

The Wear Them All is next on my list of things to try.  I have the one for G3F so will give it a go in the next couple of days.  The dress rig uses a clone as a well wgdjohn, there is a drop down box in the script, you just choose target - Genesis 2 Female and then underneath that box is another drop down box where you choose clone.  You never actually see a clone and it doesn't seem to change the shape of the Genesis 2 Female .  Just make sure you read the pdf so you don't miss any steps. Its really simple but you have to make sure you hit reverse target something or other in the last drop down bar and add the smoothing modifier.  Its literally 5 or 6 clicks and your done.  Less than a minute.  I just picked up the Genx convertors but haven't tried them yet.

And yes, please come vote for your favorites in the Carrara challenge!

I will be catching up on your modelling thread soon!  I was up to the last couple pages I believe.

I have been thinking about starting a new Blender thread for nontechinical types similar to what goes on in hexagon and cararra. Where people can share what they create and maybe even the hows of it. I know their are a few of us out there that might be interested. A place where utube, videos, etc could be linked and found easier to help us learn more. Any thoughts?

Liana said:

I have been thinking about starting a new Blender thread for nontechinical types similar to what goes on in hexagon and cararra. Where people can share what they create and maybe even the hows of it. I know their are a few of us out there that might be interested. A place where utube, videos, etc could be linked and found easier to help us learn more. Any thoughts?

Blender is on my list of things to learn so I would love to follow along in a thread like this.  And a lot of the stuff that is useful in Blender probably translates well to other programs at list in a general way.  

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865
    Liana said:

Sounds good!  

We could call it "Blender For Daz" and we can still talk about other blender stuff too that trips our fancy just leave out all the eye glazing stuff until we can explain it better in simple layman terms. The other thread seems more ..well I think some know what I am talking about. I don't want it to be confusing or elitist and scare people away. If we can use blender along with other programs to create stuff or even understand things in general better. I think Sonja said it best, " And a lot of the stuff that is useful in Blender probably translates well to other programs at list in a general way." :D

Works for me.  I know the stuff that I learned in Bryce about the terrain tool, made it much easier to pick up landscapes in Carrara, and I am sure what I am learing in Carrara will translate over to Bryce as well.  I find the modeller in Carrara to much more intuitive to the way I think, BUT, I think as I understand what things are and do in Carrara, those things should help to make Blender a. less intimidating and b. easier to use.  I really believe that learning to use all of the available tools to some degree is a good idea, at least for the things that I would like to be able to do.  I find myself looking at stuff and going, I think I can learn to make that myself, sooner now rather than later, as I start to understand the whole modelling process as a whole.  Its just learning the interfaces that is so intimidating, especially in Blender.  I think each program has different strengths and weaknesses and when used together each fills a gap that the other might be missing.

edited March 2017

Right exactly... I will try to list some utube videos I came across that helped myself a bit to learn. I think I might put it in the art thread and name it accordingly so we don't get it taken down or compete with the other thread. :)

Post edited by Liana on

Good idea, and I will see if I can find some of the you tube video's I watched the last time I opened it up.  I will message you any links I find since I won't be able to add them to your post.  Might be a bit as I am at work and am posting in between phone calls lol. Maybe reserve the second post in the thread for links?  That way they will be right at the beginning and can be added as we go. 

Tabasco Jack, you've been doing a fantastic job on your modelling lately and I am excited to see your input on it.  And I know wgdjohn has a ton of good stuff on his Carrara modelling thread as well that would probably be useful for basic modelling in Blender (and for those that want to give both a try) He is very thorough in explaining how to do things.  Should be great fun to learn together!

Sounds great! I have one started now in the Art thread. :)

Awesome, I will go mark it as a favorite so I don't miss any posts.

Arrggghhh!  Anyone know why the mouse disappears sometimes?  In the middle of a rather large, complicated scene and boom, my mouse disappeared.  Luckily I was able to save it as a scene subset and I'm going to restart Studio but I would like to know WHY it does this as its not the first time. Really really annoying!

edited March 2017

So last time I used a linear point light the actual light itself did not show in the render.  I am trying to use a point light directly in front of a characters eyes and it is rendering the light itself, I've never had that happen before.  Haven't changed any light setting.  Any ideas?  Its obviously useless if its going to show are bright sparkling ball of spikes.

Update - Apparently, it shows in the Iray preview render window but not in the render intself.  That's less than helpful.  I swear I learn something new every day lol

Weird.. I have no idea about the mouse disappearing act, but then we are in strange times. lol

hehe Glad you got the light figured out. I have not used the preview window much though I did set it up yesterday working on those radiance lights which still drive me crazy.

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,071

I set up my lights and use the preview window all the time.  If you need something to make the eyes pop you can use http://www.daz3d.com/promo-style-catch-lights-for-iray, they are one of my go to's, even if I don't use the photometric lights that come with it.  Or, you can make your own with a plane, and a transparency of white dots in whatever design you'd like on a no-background (like a .png image)  and put that as your cutout texture, your material texture, and set it up in front of your character to reflect them.  Sometimes I notice it's not the lack of light that causes dark eyes, but the lack of the abiity to reflect anything.  Or you can even use an HDRI image in your render set up tab-if you like the lighting that comes with it, of course.  If you don't want it shown in the scene, just turn off the dome and you will still have reflections of the lighting from the HDRI map.

I set up my lights and use the preview window all the time.  If you need something to make the eyes pop you can use http://www.daz3d.com/promo-style-catch-lights-for-iray, they are one of my go to's, even if I don't use the photometric lights that come with it.  Or, you can make your own with a plane, and a transparency of white dots in whatever design you'd like on a no-background (like a .png image)  and put that as your cutout texture, your material texture, and set it up in front of your character to reflect them.  Sometimes I notice it's not the lack of light that causes dark eyes, but the lack of the abiity to reflect anything.  Or you can even use an HDRI image in your render set up tab-if you like the lighting that comes with it, of course.  If you don't want it shown in the scene, just turn off the dome and you will still have reflections of the lighting from the HDRI map.

Thank you I will give this a try.  I will have to go through my light sets, I believe I have that set ( I have an ungodly amount of light sets for both render engines as I really hate lighting lol, although I try to learn a bit every time I use them).

Liana said:

Weird.. I have no idea about the mouse disappearing act, but then we are in strange times. lol

hehe Glad you got the light figured out. I have not used the preview window much though I did set it up yesterday working on those radiance lights which still drive me crazy.

I just started using it last week.  I mostly like it unless I have a lot in a scene then I have to turn it off and just use it for spot rendering or it bogs things down too much. 

Liana said:

I just started using it last week.  I mostly like it unless I have a lot in a scene then I have to turn it off and just use it for spot rendering or it bogs things down too much. 

I noticed that too.

This discussion has been closed.