Utility to repair damaged Installers Available

Comments

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

It won't work. It keeps failing. I give up, I'm through with DAZ

What installer are you using it on? There are some installers that are beyond repair.

Kendall

• adegneradegner Posts: 42
    edited December 1969

Windows 7 ultimate x64 worked with no problem :-)

• LyoneLyone Posts: 138
    edited December 1969

Hi.

I can't run any of the zip files I get on the DAZ site. I couldn't install Daz Studio 4.5 and I thought it was a problem with the program itself. But when I bought some products and tried to run the zip files no one of them ran on my PC. I bought some Renderosity product to see if it was a problem with my Winzip but I didn't have any problem to install their product. So it has to be some bug with the zip files of DAZ 3D. For now, it's OK because I use instead the other files (.exe) but it's an important bug. If DAZ is going to put all their products in a zip format, it will be a big problem for me, and maybe for other users as well. That's why I have to mention it.

Best regards.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

At the moment the zip files are still for Macs.
    You have to download the Exe files for a PC.

edited December 1969

Lyone said:
    Hi.

I can't run any of the zip files I get on the DAZ site. I couldn't install Daz Studio 4.5 and I thought it was a problem with the program itself. But when I bought some products and tried to run the zip files no one of them ran on my PC. I bought some Renderosity product to see if it was a problem with my Winzip but I didn't have any problem to install their product. So it has to be some bug with the zip files of DAZ 3D. For now, it's OK because I use instead the other files (.exe) but it's an important bug. If DAZ is going to put all their products in a zip format, it will be a big problem for me, and maybe for other users as well. That's why I have to mention it.

Best regards.

Currently, all Windows products are in .exe format. There are a few things that have been converted, but that chances are that you need the .exe files. The .zips are going to give you Macintosh .sit formatted files which are going to be useless under Windows.

Kendall

edited December 1969

This is to let people know that as of about 5 minutes ago, the downloads still exhibit the problem that my utility fixes. I will have the utility available for download as long as it takes for everyone to get things working.

Kendall

• Philippi_ChildPhilippi_Child Posts: 648
    edited December 1969

I don't understand this output file business. Do you copy the installer and rename it? Example I copied the installer "ps_ac1604b_TrampSteamer1" then renamed it to "ps_as1604b_TrampSteamer1-fixed" tried running it through the program and bingo it would not fix the installer it kept saying that the "output file conflicts with existing file." Okay so now I don't get this thing at all. It appears there is more than just putting a file in the top box and then some unknown value and hocus pocus it's all fixed.

This should have been dealt with via Daz and not some poor 3rd party guy giving his time to fix it. Gee Daz wonder why people are upset??? Now either I am not doing something right or the tramp steamer installer is toast which wouldn't surprise me given the ball dropping Daz has been doing lately. Why do I sound upset? Because for weeks now I have gone around and around with Tramp Steamer that was suppose to go into a piece of commissioned artwork. Not only am I upset so is the person that wanted the artwork.

Now please clear, precise, non IT speak instructions would really, really be appreciated it truly would be :)

Windows 7 64-bit machine and yes I've been trying the 64 version of your fix.

Thank you, thank you!!

edited June 2012

I don't understand this output file business. Do you copy the installer and rename it? Example I copied the installer "ps_ac1604b_TrampSteamer1" then renamed it to "ps_as1604b_TrampSteamer1-fixed" tried running it through the program and bingo it would not fix the installer it kept saying that the "output file conflicts with existing file." Okay so now I don't get this thing at all. It appears there is more than just putting a file in the top box and then some unknown value and hocus pocus it's all fixed.

This should have been dealt with via Daz and not some poor 3rd party guy giving his time to fix it. Gee Daz wonder why people are upset??? Now either I am not doing something right or the tramp steamer installer is toast which wouldn't surprise me given the ball dropping Daz has been doing lately. Why do I sound upset? Because for weeks now I have gone around and around with Tramp Steamer that was suppose to go into a piece of commissioned artwork. Not only am I upset so is the person that wanted the artwork.

Now please clear, precise, non IT speak instructions would really, really be appreciated it truly would be :)

Windows 7 64-bit machine and yes I've been trying the 64 version of your fix.

Thank you, thank you!!

It is bad practise to modify a file "in place." Therefore, the program forces the use of a different filename in case something goes wrong (unexpected power loss, etc)

Instructions

Click on the browse button next to the input file. Browse to the bad installer and select it.

Click on the browse button next to the output file. Browse to the location that you want to save the fixed installer, give it a name that doesn't already exist. If you are running one of the more strict virus/system protectors, do not use a .exe extension.

Click on 'Go'

If you see the 'Done." message then it found and removed the known problem. If you see any other message, then there is something else wrong with the input file you selected. If you had to save as a name without a .exe, you will need to rename the file to have a .exe extension before windows will run it.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

No, YOU do not rename the file, the FIXER, once it has done its job, will rename the file according to your instructions. :) All it needs to know is what file to fix (the first box), where to save it, and under what name, and for that purpose you got that latter box.

Step 1.
    I pick file.

Step 2.
    I select location where to save it, and file name.

Step 3.
    A new wild file appears! It seems to be working! :)

Does this help?

step3.png
    578 x 522 - 39K
    step2.png
    613 x 649 - 45K
    step1.png
    591 x 647 - 43K
    edited December 1969

Thank you very much, Skiriki!

Kendall

Skiriki said:
    No, YOU do not rename the file, the FIXER, once it has done its job, will rename the file according to your instructions. :) All it needs to know is what file to fix (the first box), where to save it, and under what name, and for that purpose you got that latter box.

Step 1.
    I pick file.

Step 2.
    I select location where to save it, and file name.

Step 3.
    A new wild file appears! It seems to be working! :)

Does this help?

• Philippi_ChildPhilippi_Child Posts: 648
    edited December 1969

Kendall thanks mate worked like a charm. :)

edited December 1969

Kendall thanks mate worked like a charm. :)

I'm glad it helped.

Kendall

• edited December 1969

Thank you so much I finally got it to work.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,714
    edited June 2012

You could try this, it contains a fix so it will downlad the files without corrupting them, and it's currently free:

http://taosoft.dk/software/3DConDo/

Note that the fix in most cases will use an extra download per file, so you must have at least two downloads left for each file to be sure that it works.

As an alternative you can check and download one file at a time. This will usually only use up one download, but is a bit more troublesome of course.

Post edited by Taoz on
  • Dr_FrankenshroomDr_Frankenshroom Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

There is no way to download the app

edited December 1969

There is no way to download the app

Yes, there is a link a litle below the picture:

2012-06-09-02-53-00.jpg
    434 x 282 - 42K
  • T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited December 1969

Suhwheeeet! It's great having that back. Works perfectly! No corruption or nuthin'.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092
    edited December 1969

Thanks so much for this, Kendall.

I've been having problems with some installers for a couple of days - I thought my downloads had gone wrong, so tried again...and again...

Then this morning I disovered this thread, downloaded your fix zip, ran it and suddenly everything is working perfectly!

You're a star.

edited December 1969

MelanieL said:
    Thanks so much for this, Kendall.

I've been having problems with some installers for a couple of days - I thought my downloads had gone wrong, so tried again...and again...

Then this morning I disovered this thread, downloaded your fix zip, ran it and suddenly everything is working perfectly!

You're a star.

I'm glad I could help.

Kendall

• Alethas FantasyAlethas Fantasy Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

After you had made the life saver tool after waiting for ever to get my downloades it worked like a charm, it has been a while since I ordered anything so I thought I would see if they had it fixed, just made my order 1 thing & sure enough it wouldn't open tried 2 times then went to your Awesome tool & it worked like a charm.

Will wait to order anything else hopefully they will get it fixed soon, but please keep your tool open untill they do. lol

Thank you again Kendall. :)

edited June 2012

After you had made the life saver tool after waiting for ever to get my downloades it worked like a charm, it has been a while since I ordered anything so I thought I would see if they had it fixed, just made my order 1 thing & sure enough it wouldn't open tried 2 times then went to your Awesome tool & it worked like a charm.

Will wait to order anything else hopefully they will get it fixed soon, but please keep your tool open untill they do. lol

The utility will stay available as long as it is needed. If you need or want something, there really isn't a reason to wait. If it won't extract then use my utility and have fun with the new toy. Think of it as "partial assembly required."

You're certainly welcome.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • Alethas FantasyAlethas Fantasy Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The utility will stay available as long as it is needed. If you need or want something, there really isn't a reason to wait. If it won't extract then use my utility and have fun with the new toy. Think of it as "partial assembly required."

Kendall

LOL TOO Funny but Oh so true!!!!

I was talking to CS Right after you had made your Dynamite tool, I had a ticked in the day the new store open that I couldn't open my zips, he lead me to you, I wrote him back & told him after all of this time waiting Kendall was my Hero!!! he wrote back & said you was his Hero also, he was going to have to think of something to do for you, I think Daz owe's you a lot!!! A lot of head ack off of them.

I'm use to assembly so as long as you got our backs, I will keep on playing, love new toys to play with. lol

Woo Hoo, Aletha

edited December 1969

Kendall

LOL TOO Funny but Oh so true!!!!

I was talking to CS Right after you had made your Dynamite tool, I had a ticked in the day the new store open that I couldn't open my zips, he lead me to you, I wrote him back & told him after all of this time waiting Kendall was my Hero!!! he wrote back & said you was his Hero also, he was going to have to think of something to do for you, I think Daz owe's you a lot!!! A lot of head ack off of them.

I'm use to assembly so as long as you got our backs, I will keep on playing, love new toys to play with. lol

Woo Hoo, Aletha

As I get time, I'll be creating utilities and more for DS. I owe the Carraraists a tool, and as soon as I can get an answer to a question, they'll have one better than I originally promised.

Kendall

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

As I get time, I'll be creating utilities and more for DS. I owe the Carraraists a tool, and as soon as I can get an answer to a question, they'll have one better than I originally promised.

Kendall

OoOoo.. Carrara toooooool.. show the love! (seriously though, any hints as I have a poor memory :D)

edited December 1969

-_Milo_- said:

Kendall

OoOoo.. Carrara toooooool.. show the love! (seriously though, any hints as I have a poor memory :D)

It is a tool to repair .car files if the content (runtime) is moved. I'm adding a few extra "enhancements."

Kendall

edited December 1969

T Jaiman said:
    Suhwheeeet! It's great having that back. Works perfectly! No corruption or nuthin'.

Thanks for the feedback, glad that it works for you!

• DarkRiderDLMCDarkRiderDLMC Posts: 561
    edited December 1969

I have written a small utility that will repair the files downloaded from the DAZ site. It is available for Windows here:

http://ovbi.org/gallery/v/krsears/utilities/

There is a zip file with both 32 and 64 bit exe’s in there. This is on a low bandwidth server, but is only a tad over 1M in size, so be patient. If the load becomes too high I will transfer it to my high-bandwidth servers.

I have also written a version for Mac. If you are a Mac user and need it please PM me and I'll make it available.

The Download for the 4.5 Release Candidate is also affected. This utility will repair that as well.

Kendall

Thank you. Daz should pay you for your time. After spending 15 min downloading hundreds of meg and having the files blow out, Daz's name becomes a form of curse word to the end user. You have done them (and us) a serious kindness with this..

• GralienGralien Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks Kendall
    I downloaded the free Bryce 5.5 Content Kit Volume 1 and it wouldn't work. After two more dowloads, thinking the files were corrupt, I was going nuts. :ahhh:
    Then I found your utility and it worked brilliantly.:-)
    Thanks again.

• VitachickVitachick Posts: 135
    edited June 2012

post deleted..sry

Post edited by Vitachick on
    edited December 1969

@Dark Rider
    @Gralien

Glad my work could help you out.

Kendall