How do you change the normals color?

how do you change the normals color?

I watched a tutorial with johnnybevo on youtube, his normals showed up black in his video and he said, something like, "if it is white that is what you want but when it is black like that it means the normal is flipped and this is how you flip it back the way it needs to go"

Well, mine are white on both sides, I need mine to be showing white, good the texture side and black showing the flipped normal, no textured side.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• I think what Johnny was talkking about is the back faces. Down the bottom of the Hexagon screen (2 from the right) you'll see icons which look like a cube, cylinder and book. They are Transparency view, Show/Hide Backfaces and Perspective/Orphographic Views.

The Show/Hide back faces one will indicate if the Normals are facing the right way. To demo this create a cube, choose the front face and select the Orient Normals tool,  if the yellow arrow is pointing inwards leave it, if it is not press the spacebar till it is. Then choose the Show Backfaces tool, the front face should be invisible and the others are white (rotate view to check).

If you save this cube to a 3D program (Daz Studio) and look at it, the cube will have 5 white faces and 1 black one, this may be different Iray etc, but it was true with DS 3. If you come across this just select the A in the Orient Normals properties tab and press the space bar till the yellow arrows are point outwards.

• I think what Johnny was talkking about is the back faces. Down the bottom of the Hexagon screen (2 from the right) you'll see icons which look like a cube, cylinder and book. They are Transparency view, Show/Hide Backfaces and Perspective/Orphographic Views.

The Show/Hide back faces one will indicate if the Normals are facing the right way. To demo this create a cube, choose the front face and select the Orient Normals tool,  if the yellow arrow is pointing inwards leave it, if it is not press the spacebar till it is. Then choose the Show Backfaces tool, the front face should be invisible and the others are white (rotate view to check).

If you save this cube to a 3D program (Daz Studio) and look at it, the cube will have 5 white faces and 1 black one, this may be different Iray etc, but it was true with DS 3. If you come across this just select the A in the Orient Normals properties tab and press the space bar till the yellow arrows are point outwards.

Okay, I get it now, you were a big help. You were correct, I followed your instructions and it all makes sense.

Super cool, thanks big time!

• Glad I could help.