Project Dogwaffle Howler

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187

That's awesome! Both of you will love it!

In addition to watching Tiffanie's videos, make sure you take some time and just explore some of ther millions of fun videos from Phillip on the pdhowler channel. 

I love both authors and Howler is vast and different and is an amazing art tool for our Carrara work - well... any kind of digital art! ;)

I've been away from my computer for several days now... and still for another several to come. But I do get to at least use it to watch some videos or YouTube or whatever when I'm settling in for the night... like now... and I just found this cool new video from Phillip Staiger at pdhowler

Cool demo on some of the new PuppyRay additions as well as some useful tips on PuppyRay in general. I love this!

• Finally got another video recorded and in the final upload process! But, had problems with Editing.

https://youtu.be/m3lGcPufuS0

edited April 2017

Awesome! Glad you're back up and running! Yeah... glitchy recording, eh? Gets kinda hard to follow at times but... oh well... it's still awesome! yes

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • I do appologize for that, but considering how many times I had to redo it, it was to the point that if I didn't just go ahead and post it that I just wouldn't make any more videos! lol.

So, maybe one day, I'll redo it cleanly, but not for a while.

Don't be silly! It's wonderful! I can relate... totally!!!

• Yes! Back up and functioning!  And a new Howler video:

It is still uploading (slow internet) so give it a little time. It is short and sweet. "How to make Fantasy Maps"

You all never have told me what else you would like to see videos about, so I'm trying to put together a list of things to cover. So, any ideas, just let me know!

Take care all!

Sweet!!! yes

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Yes! Back up and functioning!  And a new Howler video:

It is still uploading (slow internet) so give it a little time. It is short and sweet. "How to make Fantasy Maps"

You all never have told me what else you would like to see videos about, so I'm trying to put together a list of things to cover. So, any ideas, just let me know!

Take care all!

Video is marked as private

• How strange.....I'll see if I can fix it.

• Okay, went and looked, and it says Public. Maybe it hadn't finished publishing when you checked.

Awesome, Tiffanie! 

• Thank you! I thought it was a fun little one.

Quick and Fun... yup... you were right! 

And, like most things, these techniques help in everything we do. This one was new to me, and I thank you for the exercise!

edited April 2017

Don't forget to go up above and watch Tiffanie's latest tutorial. It has some really cool techniques and wonderful inspiration!

We also have a really cool brand new painting tutorial by our very own Daniel Ritchie about painting trees - I love this!

When he goes into the bristle brushes, later in the tutorials, I'd just like to mention how much I love using those! Like he says, they are excellent at blending colors together, as well as shapes... All of these various aspects of Project Dogwaffle that he mentions have really pulled me into this amazing tool - or set of tools.

• staigermanstaigerman Posts: 236
    edited July 2017

I've been away from my computer for several days now... and still for another several to come. But I do get to at least use it to watch some videos or YouTube or whatever when I'm settling in for the night... like now... and I just found this cool new video from Phillip Staiger at pdhowler

Cool demo on some of the new PuppyRay additions as well as some useful tips on PuppyRay in general. I love this!

Thanks Dan. Hi all, we have made some enhancements to PuppyRay GPU this summer, with the Summer Splash update. Water can be murky with absorption, loose rgb channels in this order based on depth, and add caustics. From far, it can also make it look like foam on the crashing waves.

We've also collected a bunch of how-to intro tutorials and examples. See http://www.thebest3d.com/puppyray

Here's a new detail: Fresnel calculation for refraction vs. reflection

http://www.thebest3d.com/puppyray/real-Fresnel.html

Post edited by staigerman on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

looks terrific

head wax said:

looks terrific

It is... and it makes Puppy Ray that much more powerful (and fun) to work with.

3D Designer, Puppy Ray, animated Water filters... it's some crazy stuff. Amazing how far this software has grown since I started using it, just not that long ago.

I've grown a lot with it, and yet every time Phillip and/or Tiffanie and/or Dan put out a new tutorial, I always learn something new. But as far as working with renders, I am so glad I went this direction (going Dogwaffle)... it really caters to what I wanted in an art tool!

Hi all fans and loyal wafflers and howlers. We are happy to announce that PD Howler 11.1 is now available on Daz3d too. Back to school? not just yet! Have one more week of fun :-)

Included in PD Howler: Puppy Ray GPU path tracing needs just an elevation macp, nd optionally benefits from extra colors in a texture map, and you can add your own skyp map, or use amongst a few presets.

image2.jpg
    1280 x 640 - 201K

Very cool! Howler 11.1 is AWESOME!!!

edited August 2017

for more traditional artists, illustrators who know how to draw and sketch: http://www.thebest3d.com/foraminifera

Howler includes particle brushes, and various FX brushes that you can use for lots of different projects. And there are tons of filters, most of them animated and keyframed on timeline too. Even filters for animbrushes.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

yesyessmiley

for more traditional artists, illustrators who know how to draw and sketch: http://www.thebest3d.com/foraminifera

Howler includes particle brushes, and various FX brushes that you can use for lots of different projects. And there are tons of filters, most of them animated and keyframed on timeline too. Even filters for animbrushes.

edited August 2017

Here's a new tutorial for beginners to advanced. It's pretty long:

This is not your Moon. This is my cup of coffee. (don't land here, please)

http://www.thebest3d.com/landscapes/tutorials/second-steps-this-is-not-the-Moon/index.html

this is not the Moon. This is my cup of coffee

There are sample elevation maps created with it and around it (where "it" is my cup of coffee :-)  )

Here's one of the renders with water flooding the lower valleys. Some craters still peeking through.

• cdordonicdordoni Posts: 583

http://www.thebest3d.com/landscapes/tutorials/second-steps-this-is-not-the-Moon/index.html

Awesome, have to try that with Guinness.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I just got the newest version I think it is excellent.

I have been interested in it since in wone version 9 as a Carrara challenge prize in a challenge sponsered by Staigerman, which was a wonderful prize.

I just got the newest version I think it is excellent.

I have been interested in it since in wone version 9 as a Carrara challenge prize in a challenge sponsered by Staigerman, which was a wonderful prize.

Wow... very cool prize!

cdordoni said:

Awesome, have to try that with Guinness.

Mmmm... and I'll have Guinness while I try that! ;)  Yum!

I absolutely LOVE using Howler!

Filters > Adjust > Adjust All is my goto dialog for color grading. I love all of the options this panel brings! I use this one all the freaking time!

I love blurring my selections. I use the freeform selection tool to draw my edges, then use Shift + the tool to Add to the selection and Alt + the tool to remove parts of the selection. When I get an important selection created, but before blurring or anything else, I use the ever-so-awesome "Store Selection" command, and put that little window someplace handy.

Then I work with the selection in many ways - often blurring it first with a Gaussian, then storing that selection again - so I now have the raw selection and the blurred versions handy.

Speaking of blurs... now I can easily invert that blurred selection and apply any one (or several) of the blurs available in Dogwaffle, like Motion, Mystic (or Dark!) Vision, Gaussian, Bokeh, etc., there are many to get used to using - and then we can really overdo the filter to get the right spread of the effect the way we want it, because we can then use the interactive undo to back off the result to make it more subdued... it's amazingly quick and powerful once we get used to doing stuff like this!

But even before doing all of that, we can also use our blurred selection and the above mentioned Adjust All panel to color grade the part of the image thats to be the focal point of the image and the DoF blurred background elements separately - give one or the other more or less color, or even just different levels of various hues, stauration, gamma, etc.,

...and this is just some simple everyday uses I use Howler for. 

When I use the Text tool, I almost always use the "Apply as Alpha" mode, which applies the text that I create as a selection, which I can then move around (holding down the Ctrl key), store, blur, emboss, shadow, glow... all sorts of things we can do to selected areas. Many of my signatures on images are a text selection which have then been given a drop shadow and I use the Lens Flare of the Effects tool to give the text the colors - again, using interactive undo as my friend.

It took a little while for Dogwaflle to become my goto image editor, but now it truly is - and I love it!

I also love the directions that Dan Ritchie is taking it! He NEVER stops working on this thing - his baby! 

Dartanbeck = Dogwaffle/Ritchie/Staiger fan Forever!

edited August 2017

I am also learning to do similar things for animations, which is why I also need the Howler edition of Dogwaffle.

This is a simple screen shot to show how I can load in an avi, then store the animation, just like I'd store a selection or an image - which puts a new window on the screen with the animation inside of it.

Click in the window to restore it to the workspace (which is why storing the Beauty Pass before altering can be a good time saver) or, notice the check boxes below the image of the window, how we can use the stored result as an animated Swap Image or as an animated Selection!

So we see that I have performed a multi-pass render on this animation. As it turns out, I needed the inverse of the result. So first I've loaded in and stored the animation of the multi-pass result. Then I've used the animated filters to invert the entire range of frames, and then stored that as an animation as well.

Now I can use either result as an animated selection to apply various filters to the beauty pass I have now in my work space!

The one with Rosie in white selects her throughout the animation. The one where she's black against white selects everything except her.

Just know that many, if not all, multi-pass results can be used in this way. Since our "Selections" are actually a gradual scale between white (fully selected) and black (fully deselected), results like Depth Pass can be very useful for applying things like Depth of Field (DoF).

Learning Visual Effects (VFX) techniques from anywhere also help us to garner a further understanding of Howler. I think this is due to Dan Ritchie being an VFX artist himself.

So with that in mind, and the stuff I've just said above, we can get our final result in our head and easily create a quick and easy workflow to make that happen in a way that is easily repeated for other sequences that need to match this final result.

For example, notice that the above image is going to be working with the black and white animations as selections. Well we also have the wonderful Swap image capability, and Swap image buffer has a multitude of possibilities - and we can adjust the strength of those possibilities in many cases.

So we can use the above example to edit the original beauty pass into something entirely different, and then store that result to be used as an animated Swap Image, and then still use the black and white selections to determine what areas of the animation gets affected. Very powerful stuff, while also being really fast and easy to use!

StoreAnimation.jpg
    1364 x 733 - 118K
This discussion has been closed.