Is it possible to move an object exactly one pixel?

Been working on a walking animation lately that I'm using to place in a game of mine after exporting the rendered frames into numerous bitmaps used for the animation. The problem I'm running into is that sometimes the animation shows the feet "sliding" since I can't match the animation perfectly with the speed that it's supposed to be moving at in game.

Suppose you have a camera with zero perspective. It could be the Left Camera or the Right Camera for example, and so I'm only worried about the animation moving side to side. Is it possible to calculate exactly one pixel of side-to-side adjustment over one frame depending on window size? As in, if for example your preview window was set to 400x400, and you have an object with an xTrans of 0.0000, which would make its center at the 200 mark in the window; what would the xTrans have to be to get it to 201 pixel perfectly once rendered in Firefly?

Comments

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,785

The approach that I would take would be to set the render settings To Render to Exact Resolution of the desired final render.  If it's, say,  400x400, it will show a mask of the area to be rendered in your preview window.  If you are using Poser 11 there is a measurement tool which you can use to measure the width of the rendered area; otherwise, you can translate a primitive over the the width and note the difference in x or z.  Then simply divide the measurement by the number of pixels; 400 in your case...

• I've been looking for some kind of measurement, or something that'd show me where the coordinates of my mouse was in some form or another. Where's the measurement tool? And I'm using Poser 11, yes.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,785

Turns out the measurement tool is only in Poser 11 Pro; if you have Pro, instructions aare on p 275 of the Poser Manual (found under the Help menu).

If you don't have P11 Pro, (this method is likely faster than figuring out the Measurement Tool) load a Primitive Cone (In Poser 11 Content, Props>Primitives), select it, and if you are using the Front or Rear Camera, use the xTran dial to move the top tip of the cone to one side of the mask, and note the dial value.  (if its behind something in the scene you may need to translate it in y or z to see it)  Do the same to bring it to the other side of the mask and subtract the two xTran values to get the distance.  If you are using a side Camera, use the zTran dial...

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,603

One of your problems will be that pixels don't really apply in a Poser scene. Objects have a size in Poser's units but the size in pixels in the render all depend on the distance from the camera, focal length on the camera and size of the render. It should be possible to work out a formula to convert all these factors to a pixel size but I don't know how to get the values of the contants you'd need for the formula. Once you have worked it out you can type the values into the translation fields.