What do you need to make a complete model?

Just got Hexagon. New PC coming Monday and I will be starting the tutorials then. Before I start I would like to have an idea of the basic steps in making a model. Just a simple 1,2,3 not the details. I know I will be back with more questions after I start using it.

Post edited by jenwashingtonartist_c5b16b4288 on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Well, if you've grabbed the Hexagon version, then you've got the basics...a modeller, the content creation tools built into DS and Poser.

You'll need an image editor, (Photoshop, The GIMP, etc) and you'll probably want to spend a bunch of time looking at various tutorials on modeling.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,626
    edited December 1969

Also, what kind of content are you most interested in starting with? We can probably point you to more specific tutorials.

• edited January 2013

At this time I do art and illustration in Photoshop. Using poser to create roughs for my work that is taken into Photoshop. My interest is in making animal models that can have natural poses as a human would.

Post edited by jenwashingtonartist_c5b16b4288 on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

If you haven't already first check to see what is in the market place..here and at other sites like RuntimeDNA, Renderosoity, Content Paradise etc etc. There are some excellent animal figures already made and some that I wouldn't even look at twice.

• edited December 1969

Yes I agree. I have checked out all the animals and lots of content on the internet. What I see is some really good work, but not what I need to produce my work. Also I really like to make stuff.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2013

As has already been suggested, Hexagon is the DAZ 3D program which would help you to model content. I can move this thread over to the Hexagon forum for you if you would like.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • edited December 1969

Thank you that would be helpful.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

OK, you are now in the Hexagon forum.

You may wish to edit your thread title, to more reflect your problem, and thus get more answers

Click "edit" below your first post, and then edit the title line.

• ausairausair Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

Just got Hexagon. New PC coming Monday and I will be starting the tutorials then. Before I start I would like to have an idea of the basic steps in making a model. Just a simple 1,2,3 not the details. I know I will be back with more questions after I start using it.

There are two ways you can model.
    1. Low poly and then apply 1 or 2 levels of smoothing. This is known as subdivision modelling. You need to keep your low poly cage all quads (4 sided polygons) for this to work effectively.
    2. Normal Poly modelling

To model something you would normally follow these steps.
    1. Set up background reference images (usually top, front and side views of what you wish to model). These images are usually jpgs or pngs.
    2. Draw lines or curves that define the shape of your object
    3. Extrude lines to create surfaces and tweak the vertices to the desired shape or use hex surfacing tools to create polygon surfaces from 2 or more lines.
    4. Uv map polygon model
    5. Apply textures to model using a paint program such as photoshop or gimp.

A lot to learn best of luck

PS If your modelling animals it is probably best to do low poly modelling with 2 levels of smoothing. A bit of googling will show you the polygon flow other people have done to model animal.
    http://www.fallingpixel.com/products/11149/mains/000-3d-model-sheep1.jpg

Post edited by ausair on
  • edited December 1969

Thanks that helps. I didn't know you can draw lines in Hexagon that will make it a lot easier for me.

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited January 2013

For all beginners to Hexagon I recommend looking at Danny's tutorials (CGDreams), he has put together a series of short introduction videos which quides you around Hexagon. Also, if you scroll down you will find some modeling projects he has made for us, one of which is making a bunny rabbit.

http://www.cgdreams.co.uk/hexstarted.html

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on