What features would you like to see appear in dazstudio 5?

Comments

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Ever the instigator, I must add another feature I would love:

OpenSubDiv! :)

http://graphics.pixar.com/opensubdiv/

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    CONTENT LIBRARY: I'd LOVE to be able to have two content library tabs open!!! Boy would that be sweet!

Second that! Having to jump between Figures and Poses and drilling back down to the item wastes a lot of time.

Also under Smart Content, every time we click on a different object, Smart Content resets to the root level. So, If I'm trying to pick out a good combination of pants and shirt, I have to click on the pants and apply a Material. Then I click on the shirt, find a Material for it. When I click back on Pants, I have to drill back down to the Pants Materials. Maybe some way Daz could remember where Smart Content was for the last few items selected?

It's probably not done for the same reason a 'recover state' isn't made...it will be rather memory/resource intensive to implement. But it would be nice to have...maybe even get me to want to use SC. Right now I don't really see all that many benefits to using SC...

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited December 1969

...how about being able to set the maximum number of undo steps like you can in Hexagon

...even better, an "undo history" like Gimp has where you can select and reset to a specific point in the undo stack.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...how about being able to set the maximum number of undo steps like you can in Hexagon

...even better, an "undo history" like Gimp has where you can select and reset to a specific point in the undo stack.

Yeah, that way we decide how much memory to turn over to that...

• cipher_Xcipher_X Posts: 121
    edited December 1969

How about no new features till the core features currently available are at least 95% bug free and fully functional?

I would love to use DS4.5 and Genesis. I do go back and forth every day about whether to install it on my new comp because I see so many great renders coming out using Genesis. But there are too many plugins that aren't updated that I use, UberArea Lights that I hear are still not functioning properly, CMS stability issues for some people, memory leaks "still" ongoing, etc...etc.

I would love to make a wishlist for DS5 that would included dynamic hair, soft bodied dynamics [for all objects], particles, selective illumination/shadows...but I can't because I think build 5 would be just another 3/4 completed application. .

So therefore I stick with DS3A and work on learning Poser Pro 2012... :down:

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,296
    edited December 1969

Uber area lights are working and have been for quite a while.
    Memory leaks no worse than previosly, I've never had a problem with the CMS.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

I have but only after a crash caused by a beta plug-in

edited December 1969

I stand corrected about the area lights, the post I saw was actually from September so I would guess that an update was released to fix whatever problems there were with them. I don't frequent the forums too much now.

A memory leak is a memory leak and was bad in DS2, bad in DS3, bad in DS4 and if it is still present in 4.5, then that is after all still bad.

The thread here speaks about people having trouble with the CMS and it all of a sudden not working: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10767/P15

The last post describes the fix which worked for the OP but I have seen quiet a few posts as part of other threads describing issues with the CMS. Whether is is a Windows update issue, OS 32bit vs 64bit issue, anti-virus/firewall issue, etc, I can't say. But I have a fresh computer build and I do not want to load something that I will have to troubleshoot every other day.

DS3A is fairly stable so far. All the plugins I use are working in it and the only thing lacking is the ability to use Genesis.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

You know that you can have DS3 AND DS4.5 on the same computer? Just in case you didn't know ...

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,124
    edited December 1969

How about an auto_skin_fit for Genesis that would include V2,V3,M2,M3 character skins.

• malcolm jacobsmalcolm jacobs Posts: 107
    edited December 1969

1) i would like more video tutorials,

2) weigh map brush. tutorials

3) very hard to find good Videos On youtube showing how to use all of the tools in Daz 4.5
    4) More help PDF files on the subject.

i would hope that everything that works in 4.5 will also work in the new daz . ie, victoria 3 , 4, old stuff
    not only Genisis .

5) character presets, i would like that this would save all of the attributes at the moment with 4.5 cloths and hair don't all save as a character preset. i'm talking about character presets i have made myself .

6) smart menue: in unassigned scenes, actors, i have created ie in preset "characters".. sometimes it's there in smart menue
    and then it's gone again.

7) mostly finding stuff in DAZ is the a pain. if you "sellect all" and "save" this does not save all attributes if you save to character presets.
    the result is only wardrobe items come back when loading the character.

yes saves as "scene" works, but i would like to save as complete character with cloths hair, eyes boots everything!

not sure how to word this :
    Example: Mat LD stockings in is pose menue, Figures menue is the "the cr2 file" "underneath" this is required in the same menue.
    to make it easy to find.

Example "monagen" in figures menue is a cr2 file Monagen MAT file is in the "Pose" menue

This is normaly not a problem untill you have 50 items or more, then scrolling through the long lists In Each
    different menue takes a lot of time .

normally i need to find Mats in one menue then search for the textures some other places and search for the
    different cloths types modifications
    simple style is in Pose menue pz2 file.. and the Mats are in the pose menue cr2 file is in the figures menue.

all i am asking is please make it easyer to find things ( or suggestion icons yellow) to say where to find associated complanion files.

• malcolm jacobsmalcolm jacobs Posts: 107
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

yes i like the idea of an undo button that works for everything!!!!!

a sort of ultimate undo!
    at the moment in edit there is an Undo function.. but it is limmited to only a few things
    not everything will undo.
    if you make a mistake on selection Merge Or load item everything is lost and there is no Undo
    if you make this little mistake hours of work are gone forever there is no Undo for this kind of mistake!!

so please make one!
    mal

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,860
    edited December 1969

Malmaoo said:
    1) i would like more video tutorials,

2) weigh map brush. tutorials

3) very hard to find good Videos On youtube showing how to use all of the tools in Daz 4.5
    4) More help PDF files on the subject.

I think what you really want is the manual. As do a lot of us.

Malmaoo said:
    i would hope that everything that works in 4.5 will also work in the new daz . ie, victoria 3 , 4, old stuff
    not only Genisis .

They won t take away the backward compatiblity. They would no longer be able to sell 95%+ of thier store if they did.

mostly finding stuff in DAZ is the a pain.

all i am asking is please make it easyer to find things ( or suggestion icons yellow) to say where to find associated complanion files.

It is impossable to please everyone, especially when it comes to how to organize content. Some people love using the Content Manager while others like me wont touch it. Not to mention that DAZ3D cannot force other content providers to sort as they do too.

The best bet for organization, is to do it yourself, for yourself.

If you look here - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/306/ - you will see some DS4 tutorials at the top of the list for content management using the CMS.

If you dont want to use the CMS and still organize it, then look here - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2460/#32068 - This does not really touch on DS only content though the same method can still be used with DS only content.

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    You know that you can have DS3 AND DS4.5 on the same computer? Just in case you didn't know ...

...I actually have 2.3, 3.1Advanced and 4.5 Pro all installed on the same HD. as some older content doesn't play very well with newer versions.
  • chiefarchonchiefarchon Posts: 34
    edited December 1969

Documentation... documentation... documentation

edited December 1969

Kerya said:

Yes I know. My last computer had DS1.8, DS2.3 and DS3A all running at the same time. I just completed a new computer build and I don''t want anything to go screwy and have to try and reinstall 150+ Gigs of content. I'd go crazy if I have to do that again..lol

Plus I am really not keen on having files in content/runtime and also studio/my library.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

cipher_X said:
    Kerya said:

Yes I know. My last computer had DS1.8, DS2.3 and DS3A all running at the same time. I just completed a new computer build and I don''t want anything to go screwy and have to try and reinstall 150+ Gigs of content. I'd go crazy if I have to do that again..lol

Plus I am really not keen on having files in content/runtime and also studio/my library.

You don't have to use the default paths, and you can just use one location for everything.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

And more documentation.

edited December 1969

cipher_X said:
    Kerya said:

You don't have to use the default paths, and you can just use one location for everything.

So you can install all content just as you would with DS3? You could manually point an installer to say Content/Runtime/etc, even for Genesis items? Because I have seen pathways like My Library/Presets/Pose would that be the same as Content/Preset/Pose?

edited January 2013

cipher_X said:
    cipher_X said:
    Kerya said:

So you can install all content just as you would with DS3? You could manually point an installer to say Content/Runtime/etc, even for Genesis items? Because I have seen pathways like My Library/Presets/Pose would that be the same as Content/Preset/Pose?

Yes.

My Library = Content = Ooogaboogaboogieboo (or whatever you want to call it...as I've been told a million times, DS doesn't NEED a specific name, but that's another argument, for another time...some folk's definition of 'need' and mine are obviously somewhat different).

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I've got mine in E:\External Runtimes\DazStudio4Content - works fine.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    I've got mine in E:\External Runtimes\DazStudio4Content - works fine.

Mine is set up the same with no problems

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited December 1969

a good Exporter/importer and please not only genesis in poser.

let us have Genesis Morphing features available to other software like max, modo, lghtw, Cinema4d, and so on...
    thought this was the reason why the DSON format was created?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

As I said last time you asked about that, the need there is for an importer for the desired application - it's not a feature of DS.

• beregarberegar Posts: 241
    edited December 1969

People have probably said this before but ability to convert any object to dynamic cloth (or soft body dynamics in general) with easy to use interface.

More collision targets for smoothing modifier

A few simple tools for cutting, shaping and otherwise manipulating primitives

An easy to use particle generator where you can preview the particle paths/shapes realtime. Both for animation and stills.

(I had also a QoL feature request that constantly pops up when I'm working on DS but for some reason I can't remember it now...)

edited January 2013

...as long as Daz is set with Optitiex,, user created cloth dynamics won't happen since the core Optitex software is primarily geared towards the commercial fashion/clothing industry and the licence carries a five digit price tag.

Daz would either have to develop their own dynamic system (like Poser did) or form a partnership with a company like CLO Virtual Fashion (Marvelous Designer) to offer dynamic cloth creation tools.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • SonofbelmontSonofbelmont Posts: 147
    edited January 2013

Here are the features I'd like to see in Daz studio 5 In order of importance

1. Proper IK or.. WHATEVER THE HECK IS NEEDED TO STOP CHARACTERS FROM DIPPING WHEN ANIMATING WITH PINS!!!!!!!
    2. Softbody and cloth simulation which can be applied to rigged characters
    3. The ability to some how bake Soft body simulation so it can be taken into Carrara or other applications

Post edited by Sonofbelmont on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

1. sounds like a problem with interpolation - using KeyMate may let you fix it by adjusting the interpolation type, though I would agree that that ought to be a core feature for animation support.

• SonofbelmontSonofbelmont Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

That's what I first thought but Keymate doesn't help at all and neither does Graphmate .There is no IK target to key frame and you can't edit the Y translation of the foot just it's bend, side to side, and twist.

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited December 1969

As I said last time you asked about that, the need there is for an importer for the desired application - it's not a feature of DS.

I had a very busy month...
    forgot that I asked this question earlier. :shut:
    Why did daz created a dson exporter for poser?
    If daz can do this for poser, why not for other 3d software?