Star Trek Builders Unite 2 "Renderings on the Edge of Forever"

Comments

• PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

jaguarry3 said:
    Just posted some goodies over at DA

A collection of props in .obj format which I made Phase Pistol Enterprise era, communicator open and closed version Agoniser ,Libra and bat-leth. these are my own interpretations and not 100% accurate . Star Trek is the property of Paramount and all rights reside with them . These objects are fan art and should not be used for commercial work or resale other than that please enjoy

http://jaguarry3.deviantart.com/art/Immortal-Stuff-347201275?ga_submit_new=10:1357539582

Hope some one finds a use for them

Enterprise era props have been added to the list with the address you supplied. I'm unable to check the address here at work since DeviantArt and a Department of Defense computer are a bad mix due to content.

-Paul

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    Enterprise era props have been added to the list with the address you supplied. I'm unable to check the address here at work since DeviantArt and a Department of Defense computer are a bad mix due to content.

-Paul

OH: so YOU'RE the one working for the Men in Black monitoring all us subversive DAZ users!
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    PDSmith said:

-Paul

OH: so YOU'RE the one working for the Men in Black monitoring all us subversive DAZ users!

No, he's the one that's going to be dismantling the U.S.S. Enterprise, for real.

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,184
    edited December 1969

OH OH Paul, looks like your secret is out! Let the hate mail begin! *Shouts and points* HEY EVERYONE!! Here is the guy that is going to turn the U.S.S. Enterprise into a huge pile of razor blades! Seriously though Conrats on the new job I know you will uphold her proud name till the very end!

edited December 1969

wancow said:
    PDSmith said:

-Paul

No, he's the one that's going to be dismantling the U.S.S. Enterprise, for real.

THAT"S RIGHT! I forgot about that!!!!

edited January 2013

OH OH Paul, looks like your secret is out! Let the hate mail begin! *Shouts and points* HEY EVERYONE!! Here is the guy that is going to turn the U.S.S. Enterprise into a huge pile of razor blades! Seriously though Conrats on the new job I know you will uphold her proud name till the very end!

Well he told us.

Actually I thought of that episode of M.A.S.H. in which Radar mails home a jeep, one piece at a time.
    We could send him a whole lot of addresses! Only problem is, aside from "the" key or two ... don't know what could possibly fit inside our tiny apt mailboxes.

edit to be clear: I've got first dibbies on 'the' keys! :-) I've read it was a nuclear ship, and I've watch "Red October" so I trust we are clear on which "keys" I'm after. hehehehe ...

Post edited by patience55 on
    edited January 2013

My job...which starts on monday is Surface Safety Officer.

I wont be directly involved in the dismantleing of the ship, but over seeing proper safety procedures are adheared to while others cut her up. ***UPDATE*** and the keys are used for subs, not surface ships...that's for the other SSO' guys.. Sub Safety Officer's. But I get what you meant...nothing like a tactical missle to stop the kids from playing in your front yard!

And from the looks of things it won't be for two or three years now. It's common knowledge right now. the Reactors have to be removed and then she will be towed around from the east coast to here in Bremerton Washington on the west coast.

Wancow, if I was one of those MIB types monitoring DAZ, I'd have forced or had a heavy hand in forceing the two programs into one. Both have features the other could desperately use.

But one thing I'd like them both to have is a true to god 'unbias render engine' and the capability to turn a texture into a DECENT lightsource the way Luxrender and Octane are able too.

Okay getting off my soapbox before a Poser/DAZ interstellar war breaks out and the Borg (DAZ moderators) step in.

I figure with the new job starting I'll be taking the last two days of this week off and have the latest installment of the Tales from the Mirror Universe done and posted. After that I'll be playing it by ear when I can get the latest issues out. From what I've heard overtime in almost manditory in many cases. But maintaining the freebie list won't be a problem.

-Paul

Post edited by PDSmith on
    edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    But one thing I'd like them both to have is a true to god 'unbias render engine' and the capability to turn a texture into a DECENT lightsource the way Luxrender and Octane are able too.

Having a discussion over on CGTalk regarding RenderMan and 3Delight comes up often in that discussion. 3Delight has those features... it's just a matter of getting access to them in DS. The discussion is here if you're interested:
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=1086971&page=1&pp=15

edited January 2013

PDSmith said:

I wont be directly involved in the dismantleing of the ship, but over seeing proper safety procedures are adheared to while others cut her up. ***UPDATE*** and the keys are used for subs, not surface ships...that's for the other SSO' guys.. Sub Safety Officer's. But I get what you meant...nothing like a tactical missle to stop the kids from playing in your front yard!

And from the looks of things it won't be for two or three years now. It's common knowledge right now. the Reactors have to be removed and then she will be towed around from the east coast to here in Bremerton Washington on the west coast.

... edit ... -Paul

Sigh, hmmm ... oh okay ... I get it. Top Secret eh ... hehehe ... right. Proper safety measures, hmmm ... oh Paul I could have fun with that but I'd better behave myself. [keys are used in plants, keys are used in subs, keys are not used on ships?! oh boy ... well I hope they're using 'something']

For those bad hair days there's a non-ST item in my Boudicca36 gallery over at sharecg.com :-)

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14720/

Post edited by patience55 on
  • Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 617
    edited January 2013

PDSmith said:

Wancow, if I was one of those MIB types monitoring DAZ, I'd have forced or had a heavy hand in forceing the two programs into one. Both have features the other could desperately use.

Okay getting off my soapbox before a Poser/DAZ interstellar war breaks out and the Borg (DAZ moderators) step in.

I figure with the new job starting I'll be taking the last two days of this week off and have the latest installment of the Tales from the Mirror Universe done and posted. After that I'll be playing it by ear when I can get the latest issues out. From what I've heard overtime in almost manditory in many cases. But maintaining the freebie list won't be a problem.

-Paul

Try to snag the deck plans for her--or at least copies of that room where Checkov got catputred! ;-P

(Yeah, I know they didn't really use the Enterprise for that movie. The non-nuke USS Ranger stood in for her.)

Post edited by Ryuu@AMcCF on
    edited December 1969

PDSmith said:

I wont be directly involved in the dismantle of the ship, but over seeing proper safety procedures are adhered to while others cut her up. ***UPDATE*** and the keys are used for subs, not surface ships...that's for the other SSO' guys.. Sub Safety Officer's. But I get what you meant...nothing like a tactical missle to stop the kids from playing in your front yard!

Wancow, if I was one of those MIB types monitoring DAZ, I'd have forced or had a heavy hand in forcing the two programs into one. Both have features the other could desperately use.

I figure with the new job starting I'll be taking the last two days of this week off and have the latest installment of the Tales from the Mirror Universe done and posted. After that I'll be playing it by ear when I can get the latest issues out. From what I've heard overtime in almost mandatory in many cases. But maintaining the freebie list won't be a problem.

-Paul

Try to snag the deck plans for her--or at least copies of that room where Checkov got captured! ;-P

(Yeah, I know they didn't really use the Enterprise for that movie. The non-nuke USS Ranger stood in for her.)

Can't snag anything like that. I'd be lucky to even be able grab bolts from the catapults. Taking anything from the shipyard is a monster No-No. and this is the dream job I've always wanted. But the Damage Control plates (floor plans) would be an awesome souvenir!

By the way The USS Ranger is sitting in the 'mothball' fleet here in Bremerton too!

-Paul

• DemonslayerDemonslayer Posts: 125
    edited January 2013

wancow said:
    I'm curious. Was there ever a cannon version of a Gorn ship? I'm asking because this guy would make the awesome gorn:
    http://www.daz3d.com/top-sellers-of-2012/reptillian-for-genesis

There is a canon version, from "Arena" remastered version. I built a replica of it:

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq353/Raymar3d/Trek Aliens/Gorn_Defender_008.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq353/Raymar3d/Trek Aliens/Gorn_Defender_007.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq353/Raymar3d/Trek Aliens/Gorn_Defender_Aft.jpg

Ken :)

Post edited by Demonslayer on
  • mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 1969

wancow said:
    I'm curious. Was there ever a cannon version of a Gorn ship? I'm asking because this guy would make the awesome gorn:
    http://www.daz3d.com/top-sellers-of-2012/reptillian-for-genesis

There is a canon version, from "Arena" remastered version. I built a replica of it:

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq353/Raymar3d/Trek Aliens/Gorn_Defender_008.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq353/Raymar3d/Trek Aliens/Gorn_Defender_007.jpg

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq353/Raymar3d/Trek Aliens/Gorn_Defender_Aft.jpg

Ken :)

Ken, your links don't go anywhere.

• ThalekThalek Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

It's the spaces in the links. Cut and paste, and they should work fine.

• mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 1969

Thalek said:
    It's the spaces in the links. Cut and paste, and they should work fine.

That works if you copy and paste the entire line- not just what's underlined.

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

I don't really do much Trekkie stuff, but here's a couple you might like...

Benedict Cumberbatch (sorry, don't actually know name of his character)... http://fav.me/d5qrjiv

Alice Eve (Dr. Carol Marcus)... http://fav.me/d5q1t59

A Zoe Saldana pin-up's in my gallery too, but I won't bother linking it coz it's a nuddy one :ohh:

• GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,036
    edited January 2013

Nevermind...

Post edited by GRFK DSGN Unlimited on
  • jmperjmper Posts: 257
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy...you got mail.

edited December 1969

I like Uhura's tattoo . . .

• PtropePtrope Posts: 679
    edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    Ptrope said:
    ...the blanket looks real!

Just a static prop derived from the dynamic cloth item you originally supplied in your set. The "trick" is the material setting, a free "sequined" pattern Traveler offers at RunTimeDNA. It's the same one I used in my recent "recovery ward" scene.

M'okay, I downloaded the numerous RDNA materials - any hint at which one you used, or any custom settings you used? I started out with "Mixed 09" and it was WAYYYY too orange - and too bright.

Enquiring mimes want to know! :D

edited December 1969

I didn't know that enquiring mimes could speak up. [grin]

• PtropePtrope Posts: 679
    edited December 1969

That's why they have so many questions! :)

• edited December 1969

Jabba101 said:
    I don't really do much Trekkie stuff, but here's a couple you might like...

Benedict Cumberbatch (sorry, don't actually know name of his character)... http://fav.me/d5qrjiv

Alice Eve (Dr. Carol Marcus)... http://fav.me/d5q1t59

A Zoe Saldana pin-up's in my gallery too, but I won't bother linking it coz it's a nuddy one :ohh:

Cumberbatch plays the villain John Harrison.

• edited December 1969

I know that there has been, at times, a lot of chatter concerning JJ Abrams handling of the new Trek movies. I for one liked the show and am really excited about the new upcoming film "Star Trek Into Darkness". Recently however Mr. Abrams did something that has won him my personal respect, and I think is in keeping with the spirit of Star Trek...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-star-trek-fan-dies-into-darkness-screening-20130107,0,2419952.story?track=rss

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Starwulf said:

Cumberbatch plays the villain John Harrison.

Thanks
  • MotoTsumeMotoTsume Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

my question about the Jem'Hadar and founder morphs seems to have gone unnoticed :(

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited January 2013

Speaking of questions, here's one that I've been musing over for a while now. Star ships in general are sleek and aerodynamic as portrait in movies and television. My question is, why? There's no air in space and thus a Borg cube would be just as efficient as the Enterprise in traversing the galaxies. Now I know we all expect star ships to be sleek and sexy and I guess that's the real question. Why do we expect it to look like that? Is it because we can only imagine what we've already seen or is it just a male thing that we find curves pretty and squares not? ;)

Post edited by Harry Dresden on
  • blutobluto Posts: 823
    edited December 1969

MotoTsume said:
    my question about the Jem'Hadar and founder morphs seems to have gone unnoticed :(

not , i hope to have them finnished up soon

• edited December 1969

Speaking of questions, here's one that I've been musing over for a while now. Star ships in general are sleek and aerodynamic as portrait in movies and television. My question is, why? There's no air in space and thus a Borg cube would be just as efficient as the Enterprise in traversing the galaxies. Now I know we all expect star ships to be sleek and sexy and I guess that's the real question. Why do we expect it to look like that? Is it because we can only imagine what we've already seen or is it just a male thing that we find curves pretty and squares not? ;)

I don't know if your question was simply rhetorical or if you were seeking a response, but I read a Popular Mechanics article a couple of months back speculating what actual starships might look like.

It's actually still online for those wishing to read it:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/space/deep/what-would-a-starship-actually-look-like-12869471
    (this is a long link so you may have to copy and paste the URL)

In answer to the OP question, the article does address why starships are portrayed as they are by stating, "sci-fi leans toward sleek designs with lines borrowed from planes or cars, since those are the kinds of looks we’ve been conditioned to think of as "fast."" Without doing research on the topic, this does seem to have merit. Also, as you noted, curved spacecraft are more visually appealing than, say, flying bricks.

In addition, the article has an interesting view regarding interstellar propulsion systems.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

I don't know if your question was simply rhetorical or if you were seeking a response, but I read a Popular Mechanics article a couple of months back speculating what actual starships might look like.

It's actually still online for those wishing to read it:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/space/deep/what-would-a-starship-actually-look-like-12869471
    (this is a long link so you may have to copy and paste the URL)

In answer to the OP question, the article does address why starships are portrayed as they are by stating, "sci-fi leans toward sleek designs with lines borrowed from planes or cars, since those are the kinds of looks we’ve been conditioned to think of as "fast."" Without doing research on the topic, this does seem to have merit. Also, as you noted, curved spacecraft are more visually appealing than, say, flying bricks.

In addition, the article has an interesting view regarding interstellar propulsion systems.

Thanks for the link. It made for some very interesting reading.

This discussion has been closed.