DSON Importer for Poser 1.0.0.27 is now available!

13»

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Smith Micro\Poser 9\Runtime\libraries\Character\DAZ People\Genesis.py", line 1, in
    import dson.dzdsonimporter
    ImportError: No module named dson.dzdsonimporter

Uh, what does this mean?

You should not have content installed under Program Files/Program Files (x86) under Win7 or Vista -- the OS protects those folders so the plugin isn't being allowed to write back to them.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Smith Micro\Poser 9\Runtime\libraries\Character\DAZ People\Genesis.py", line 1, in

Uh, what does this mean?

You should not have content installed under Program Files/Program Files (x86) under Win7 or Vista -- the OS protects those folders so the plugin isn't being allowed to write back to them.

Also check to see if you have updated to Poser 9/2012 SR3.

• edited December 1969

Uh, what does this mean?

Also check to see if you have updated to Poser 9/2012 SR3.

Yeah, got it working now. Thanks.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

That's great,

I usually refer people to the instructions I put in post #49 on the previous page.

CHEERS!

• Lyel2Lyel2 Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

Hello guys,

Don't know if anybody succeeded in having DSON working under OSX...

Poser 9 SR3.1, DSON 1.0.013 (currently downloading the latest)
    Tested under 10.6.8 and 10.7.2. Different bugs but same nonfunctional result.
    Basically the importation fails at some point, generally when "Applying settings to actors". Poser bombs and quits. Point.
    It does work for ONLY ONE character, named Genesis and installed into the DAZ People subdirectory of Poser. Other characters installed at the same place by the same (?) installer just bomb Poser. Other characters installed into other subdirectories bomb too.

I had a lot of troubles so far. Here are some examples:
    -The Starter Essentials installer complains "not being able to set 040755 permissions" into the Runtime folder.
    I repaired the permissions using the Disk Utility, no changes. I set all the folders and sub-folders to read+write for everybody, no better.

Messing around where DSON is supposed to write the character file, I found several duplicates corresponding to my attempts.
    Several were >4MB and seemed complete when opened into a text editor, so I moved them into the Poser Runtime folder.
    They do open into Poser, are poseable and etc... but totally invisible in rendering, whatever the settings.

At first I did nothing "by hand", just following the instructions to install DSON.
    So, back to my initial question: anyone having success with DSON and OSX???

Thanks!

----------OOPS, looks like I started another thread instead of adding the message to the right forum------ Admins please move it in the right place!!!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 2012

I shall merge it into the DSON importer sticky post. If this was not the thread you meant, please let us know and we can move it again.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 2012

Lyel2 said:
    Hello guys,

Basically the importation fails at some point, generally when "Applying settings to actors". Poser bombs and quits. Point.
    It does work for ONLY ONE character, named Genesis and installed into the DAZ People subdirectory of Poser. Other characters installed at the same place by the same (?) installer just bomb Poser. Other characters installed into other subdirectories bomb too.

-The Starter Essentials installer complains "not being able to set 040755 permissions" into the Runtime folder.
    I repaired the permissions using the Disk Utility, no changes. I set all the folders and sub-folders to read+write for everybody, no better.

Messing around where DSON is supposed to write the character file, I found several duplicates corresponding to my attempts.
    Several were >4MB and seemed complete when opened into a text editor, so I moved them into the Poser Runtime folder.
    They do open into Poser, are poseable and etc... but totally invisible in rendering, whatever the settings.

At first I did nothing "by hand", just following the instructions to install DSON.

Thanks!

----------OOPS, looks like I started another thread instead of adding the message to the right forum------ Admins please move it in the right place!!!

Yes. I made a Genesis runtime in users/shared and I'm not having any permissions issues. But everything I've done so far ends with a crash. All dials morphs seem to work for me. Stuff that renders invisible needs the SubD toggled, then it renders. Mac OSX 10.6 PoserPro 2012, although how can the issues be platform specific?

Post edited by ps1borg on
  • Saba TaruSaba Taru Posts: 170
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Lyel2 said:
    Hello guys,

Thanks!

Yes. I made a Genesis runtime in users/shared and I'm not having any permissions issues. But everything I've done so far ends with a crash. All dials morphs seem to work for me. Stuff that renders invisible needs the SubD toggled, then it renders. Mac OSX 10.6 PoserPro 2012, although how can the issues be platform specific?

I'm running the DSON script in both P9 and PP2012 under OSX 10.6 on my MacBook Pro with absolutely no problems or crashes at all. I recognize that my experience may not be the norm, but I did want to say that, at least on my computer, everything works. If it helps at all, my DAZ Studio content (the My Library path) is located on an external drive (DS4.5 is installed on my local HD, though) and all of the Poser CFs are also installed to the same external My Library path (I don't have anything but python scripts like the DSON importer installed directly to a Poser folder. All my runtimes are external).

Good luck and I hope you get it working!

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:

Thanks for the reply... just showing the variety of bugs one can have...

You said "everything I've done so far ends with a crash"... meaning it still does not work?

I switched to the latest DSON importer (10.0.0.27) and now the installation seems to work. Though I can't tell if it is the new importer or any of my fiddling with the folders and installations...
    The characters seem to work, and don't render invisible without having to change any setting.

But... trying to apply any of the "Faces of teens" expressions or "True Love" poses fails with the error message:
    NULL (or empty) script name passed to PePythonEngine::DoScript()

On another hand, trying to render ONE Genesis character with just one Pose dynamic hair fails at 4000x2700dpi with some complain about memory... when I have 16GB. This is very likely Poser9 misbehaving.

And eventually, when adding one Genesis character to 5 non-Genesis characters (no clothing, standard-prop hairs except the one for Genesis)... nothing works. Moving a dial or changing its value on the Genesis character just hangs Poser.

The result? BASICALLY NON-WORKING add-on... great value :-(

edited December 1969

Saba Taru said:
    I'm running the DSON script in both P9 and PP2012 under OSX 10.6 on my MacBook Pro with absolutely no problems or crashes at all. I recognize that my experience may not be the norm, but I did want to say that, at least on my computer, everything works. If it helps at all, my DAZ Studio content (the My Library path) is located on an external drive (DS4.5 is installed on my local HD, though) and all of the Poser CFs are also installed to the same external My Library path (I don't have anything but python scripts like the DSON importer installed directly to a Poser folder. All my runtimes are external).

Right, installing on an external HD removes the permissions problem... but most recent installers WON'T offer to install anywhere.
    Can you detail exactly what you installed and where? For example, I did not install DS at all...

• wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 Posts: 183
    edited December 1969

Lyel2 said:
    ps1borg said:

Thanks for the reply... just showing the variety of bugs one can have...

You said "everything I've done so far ends with a crash"... meaning it still does not work?

I switched to the latest DSON importer (10.0.0.27) and now the installation seems to work. Though I can't tell if it is the new importer or any of my fiddling with the folders and installations...
    The characters seem to work, and don't render invisible without having to change any setting.

But... trying to apply any of the "Faces of teens" expressions or "True Love" poses fails with the error message:
    NULL (or empty) script name passed to PePythonEngine::DoScript()

On another hand, trying to render ONE Genesis character with just one Pose dynamic hair fails at 4000x2700dpi with some complain about memory... when I have 16GB. This is very likely Poser9 misbehaving.

And eventually, when adding one Genesis character to 5 non-Genesis characters (no clothing, standard-prop hairs except the one for Genesis)... nothing works. Moving a dial or changing its value on the Genesis character just hangs Poser.

The result? BASICALLY NON-WORKING add-on... great value :-(

This typically sound you are running out of memory. Poser 9 is 32 bit and even with Windows 7/8 64 bit, you will only have access to 4GB - no matter how memory is in your machine. Other OS's even less. One way to bypass some of this limitation is by rendering in a separate process (can be changed in General Preferences)
    If you turn on subdivision with the DSON importer for genesis, it will require LOTS of memory

edited December 1969

Lyel2 said:
    Saba Taru said:

Right, installing on an external HD removes the permissions problem... but most recent installers WON'T offer to install anywhere.
    Can you detail exactly what you installed and where? For example, I did not install DS at all...

I installed DS4.5 Pro on my HD and during the installation process, that installer gives you the option of inputting a path that you want to use for content. So I left the default for the application (it's in the Applications folder) and changed the content path to my external HD. For this reason, I already had a "My Library" folder in which to install other content to. I didn't have to designate a new one (although I could have if I wanted to).

For the DSON importer, there are three files. I'm not sure what you mean by the installers not offering to let you install anywhere, though. All of the installers I have allow me to customize the installation (which allows me to select the location to install the files to).

The DSON importer for Poser file needs to be installed to the base application folder for Poser (the ones in your Applications folder). As mentioned, you'll need to install 32 bit or 64 bit as appropriate. I'm using PP2012 for my DSON content, so I have the 64 bit app installed. The DSON Core starter essentials file can go anywhere you'd like, so long as the folder has write permissions enabled (this was my external HD in the already existing My Library folder). I installed the DSON Poser Companion Files for Genesis starter essentials to the My Library folder just to keep them all in one place and so I only had to add one single new runtime to Poser (my way of keeping things straight, but opinions on where it's best to install what may vary). If you put the core files and the CF files in different locations, though, you'll have to add both to Poser.

It does take a few seconds longer than expected to load the very first DS item (like Genesis) into Poser for me, but after that, it's just like using native Poser content. No crashes or other weirdness (so far). Not sure this helps, but I have my fingers crossed you can get this solved. :)

edited December 1969

Saba Taru said:
    [

Hi Sabu, thanks for the information. I shall give it a try!

edited December 1969

WimvdB said:
    This typically sound you are running out of memory. Poser 9 is 32 bit and even with Windows 7/8 64 bit, you will only have access to 4GB - no matter how memory is in your machine. Other OS's even less. One way to bypass some of this limitation is by rendering in a separate process (can be changed in General Preferences)
    If you turn on subdivision with the DSON importer for genesis, it will require LOTS of memory

Thank you for the information. Don't know, however, how this applies to OSX which is 64-bit...

Anyway, it sounds more a bug than anything else.
    I tried again (had done it previously) the "render in a separate process", and the only difference is that Poser does NOT display any messsage... but it just stop rendering :-(
    Also checked the memory usage during the process, and both Poser9 and FFRender were just a bit over 1GB each.

Plus I have yet rendered HUGE scenes were Poser used 4GB to 6GB.

Go figure...

edited December 1969

Lyel2 said:
    WimvdB said:

Thank you for the information. Don't know, however, how this applies to OSX which is 64-bit...

Anyway, it sounds more a bug than anything else.
    I tried again (had done it previously) the "render in a separate process", and the only difference is that Poser does NOT display any messsage... but it just stop rendering :-(
    Also checked the memory usage during the process, and both Poser9 and FFRender were just a bit over 1GB each.

Plus I have yet rendered HUGE scenes were Poser used 4GB to 6GB.

Go figure...

Poser 9 is 32 bit. That means it can only address 4GB. If you do not have separate process set to On, this needs to be shared with the render engine - even if your OS is 64bit. Genesis takes a LOT of memory when the mesh is subdivided.. If memory usage is indeed far below 4GB total, then there is another problem

• edited January 2013

Hi -

I have the same problem as inspired-art, regardless whereI try to install the dson importer and the genesis stuff, I end up with

File "C:\Program Files\DAZ\Studio\content\Runtime\libraries\Character\DAZ People\Genesis.py", line 1, in

when trying to load gensis to poser. I have poser 9, SR3.1 is installed, I used the 32 bit installer (and, yes, I'm still using Vista).
    I installed the dson importer to the poser9- runtime, and tried installing the genesis stuff first to the (external) runtime I use normally, then to poser9, then to an external runtime on another partition (D). I also did a manual search for the called out file, but it could not be found. So I'm really clueless what else I could try.

I read the answer about there may not be any content installed in the same folder, I just don't understand - what do I need to do now?

Post edited by varnayrah_3ef3851114 on
    edited December 1969

Varnayrah said:
    Hi -

I have the same problem as inspired-art, regardless whereI try to install the dson importer and the genesis stuff, I end up with

File "C:\Program Files\DAZ\Studio\content\Runtime\libraries\Character\DAZ People\Genesis.py", line 1, in

when trying to load gensis to poser. I have poser 9, SR3.1 is installed, I used the 32 bit installer (and, yes, I'm still using Vista).
    I installed the dson importer to the poser9- runtime, and tried installing the genesis stuff first to the (external) runtime I use normally, then to poser9, then to an external runtime on another partition (D). I also did a manual search for the called out file, but it could not be found. So I'm really clueless what else I could try.

I read the answer about there may not be any content installed in the same folder, I just don't understand - what do I need to do now?

Hello!

You mention you've installed the DSON importer and "genesis stuff" files, but have you installed both the CORE files and the Companion Files (CFs) as well (three installers total including the importer)? You'll need all three to make this work.

• edited December 1969

Yes, I installed all 3 installers

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

With Vista you cannot install the content to Program Files, as Vista protects that folder hierarchy.

• edited December 1969

Yes, I read that,but what does it mean? Which content, the Genesis Essentials? Or do I have to move my entire content to another location? It worked so far.
    And where do I have to put the essentials if not to Program files? As I said I already tried installing the both essential installers to another location.

edited January 2013

Leave everything as it is
    Install the DSON importer where you installed Poser (Program Files (x86) for Poser 9, Program Files for Poser Pro 2012)
    Install the Essentials (both of them) in a new runtime where you are going to install all your genesis content. Make sure that THIS new runtime is not in Program Files or Program Files (x86). It can be anywhere else

Be sure to use the 32 bit installer and having it point to the Program Files (x86) folder as the Poser location if you use Poser 9
    In you original message it looked like the DSON importer was installed to the wrong location (Program Files and NOT Program Files (x86))

Post edited by wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 on
  • edited December 1969

Thank you - where do I find the Program Files (x86) folder?

edited January 2013

It should be on your C drive, in the root, This is where Poser is installed by default

Let me explain a bit more:
    32 bit programs are installed in the Program Files (x86) folder
    64 bit programs are installed in the Program Files folder
    Poser 9 is a 32bit program

Post edited by wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 on
  • BrianG61BrianG61 Posts: 45
    edited December 1969

WimvdB said:
    Leave everything as it is
    Install the DSON importer where you installed Poser (Program Files (x86) for Poser 9, Program Files for Poser Pro 2012)
    Install the Essentials (both of them) in a new runtime where you are going to install all your genesis content. Make sure that THIS new runtime is not in Program Files or Program Files (x86). It can be anywhere else

Be sure to use the 32 bit installer and having it point to the Program Files (x86) folder as the Poser location if you use Poser 9
    In you original message it looked like the DSON importer was installed to the wrong location (Program Files and NOT Program Files (x86))

Thank you so much. I just upgraded to PoserPro 2014 on my Mac and was having the same problem, Following your instructions solved the problem.