Iray Ghost Light render and support thread (Commercial)

Comments

• Content should not be in the application folder at all. It's likely that the system has moved the files to the Virtual Store folder, as it will if you try to add things to an application folder, and that's why the files aren't showing.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited February 2017

Content should not be in the application folder at all. It's likely that the system has moved the files to the Virtual Store folder, as it will if you try to add things to an application folder, and that's why the files aren't showing.

Richard, I interpreted his statement "It was by default in a Public User folder,  so I moved it to the application folder where all the other presets are." to mean that he moved his preset to the same folder as the other Ghost Light presets, not that he saved it in the folder with the Daz Studio .exe file. If so, that should be OK, as long as the Ghost Light presets are not in a Daz Connect "cloud" folder.

Post edited by barbult on
  • pkappeteinpkappetein Posts: 506
    edited February 2017

I did install the Ghost Lights  through Connect and is installed here: F:\Daz Studio\My Daz Connect Library\data\cloud\1_36389

and the presets are here: F:\Daz Studio\My Daz Connect Library\data\cloud\1_36389\light presets\iray ghost light kit\intensity presets

When I custom save it, it goes by default to

C:\Users\perry\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Presets\Materials  and then i can't find that one either.. it's not in the smart content, and when i go to the content lib - > File explorrer,  i can't find it either

Post edited by pkappetein on
  • Another thing is,  when I customize 1 of them, and hit Apply settings,   it defaults back to the original settings from the material?

• You can't save to the Connect installation folder - you should be able to find the files in the C:\Users\perry\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library\Presets\Materials location, if the folder iss et up as a content directory - try in the Content Library under Daz Studio Format>My Library>Presets>Materials (you don't have to accept the default folder, by the way) or in Smart Content in the Saved Files category.

• I must have it not setup in the content lib.. let me check when it's done rendering

• ok, that folder wasn't there.  it was only under the Poser settings.

So Added it there, and now i can see it when  I browse.

• pkappeteinpkappetein Posts: 506
    edited February 2017

I wanted to use this for making a light fixture  showing the light  from the ceiling, but it seems to light up the whole area, but the light bulb itselfs stays dark, and doesn give a glow

using this set

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited February 2017

You need to make the light fixture (bulb's) surface an emissive to show light from them.  Then you can add ghost lights to enhance that and add more light (ambient) as needed to get the total look you are going for.

Post edited by Digital Lite Design on
  • Thank you.

• My latest render I had the lighting exactly where I wanted, but my figure was still too dark.  Ghost Lights saved the render and it looks great now.  Still waiting for it to finish, but I love how adding a ghost light lit my figure and didn't add or take anything away from the shadows I had set on the floor.  It would have taken me awhile to get that exactly right, but was only a couple of clicks of a preset.  :)

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited March 2017

This one is lit with two Ghost Lights, changed the color to a candle light color put one above and one to the side.  SUCH a time saver, it would have taken an hour at least of fiddling myself.

Gaullain DOF.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,309

I'm having an odd problem with this.  I used it quite successfully when it first came out then spent the last few months doing outdoor renders.  I've now come back to it and I'm doing some renders of the Medieval Throne chamber.

The problem is, I'm getting black renders.  I've positioned the light so it's pointing in the right direction and isn't blocked by anything.  I've attachd a jpeg showing my current settings. The luminance is set at 10000.  Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Alex.

Ghost Light Settings.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 513K
  • KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,217

I'm having an odd problem with this.  I used it quite successfully when it first came out then spent the last few months doing outdoor renders.  I've now come back to it and I'm doing some renders of the Medieval Throne chamber.

The problem is, I'm getting black renders.  I've positioned the light so it's pointing in the right direction and isn't blocked by anything.  I've attachd a jpeg showing my current settings. The luminance is set at 10000.  Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Alex.

Black renders? Have you gone into iray interactive mode and moved your camera around the scene? Whenever i get black renders, i've usually backed up too close to a wall. It shows fine in the viewport but not in the render for some reason. Give it a try and get back to me, i'm monitoring the thread.

Cheers,

Alex.

Black renders? Have you gone into iray interactive mode and moved your camera around the scene? Whenever i get black renders, i've usually backed up too close to a wall. It shows fine in the viewport but not in the render for some reason. Give it a try and get back to me, i'm monitoring the thread.

Firstly, many thanks for the fast response, particularly since it's Easter Sunday.  You are correct in your diagnosis, the camera position was the problem.  The Medieval Throne Chamber is a lovely looking set but it is quite small, tight and confined. 

I'm buying Faveral's Medieval Construction kit bundle next week so your ghost lights will be very useful with this. 

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Alex.

Cheers,

Alex.

Firstly, many thanks for the fast response, particularly since it's Easter Sunday.  You are correct in your diagnosis, the camera position was the problem.  The Medieval Throne Chamber is a lovely looking set but it is quite small, tight and confined. 

I'm buying Faveral's Medieval Construction kit bundle next week so your ghost lights will be very useful with this. 

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Alex.

No problem alex. If you're having problems with fitting everything into shot, you can of course change your focal length. Happy rendering smiley

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,755

Long as you're here.

Under your tab materials --> Iray you have colored boxes...from Red to Orange to White to Blue...

Clickin on them/selecting them seems to do nothing.

I expected the light to be of that color...like clicking Blue gives me a ghostlight Blue Light. And the K number would be the overall brightness.

How do I get, let's say, emergency lights?

Red lights in the room so the ghostlights are red in color.

---------------------

First I pick the prop.....move it, resize it.

Click the 'make me disappear' utility...

THEN I pick the attributes.....like material .....

When I pick material(s) I get no change anywhere....and it's until I pick a numbered preset that I seem to get results.

What am I doing wrong or not noticing?

Thanks....

avxp said:

Long as you're here.

Under your tab materials --> Iray you have colored boxes...from Red to Orange to White to Blue...

Clickin on them/selecting them seems to do nothing.

I expected the light to be of that color...like clicking Blue gives me a ghostlight Blue Light. And the K number would be the overall brightness.

How do I get, let's say, emergency lights?

Red lights in the room so the ghostlights are red in color.

---------------------

First I pick the prop.....move it, resize it.

Click the 'make me disappear' utility...

THEN I pick the attributes.....like material .....

When I pick material(s) I get no change anywhere....and it's until I pick a numbered preset that I seem to get results.

What am I doing wrong or not noticing?

Thanks....

The different colored boxes with (k) values are Kelvin temperature. Color temperature is a bit different to emissive color. Color temperature is more of a subtle shift from warm to cold. If you want to get an RGB light effect, the the emergency light example you gave, you need to go into the surfaces panel and change the emission color to your desired color. If you are going to use a strong color, i would urge you to keep the emission temperature at neutral (6500k) so the color is unaffected by temperature.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited April 2017

I find I am using these more and more.  I too picked up the MICK set and I am sure that these lights will come into play heavily.

I spent about an hour fiddling around with the lighting in this one when it finally dawned on me to use a ghost light lol.  5 minutes and I was done.  This is lit entirely by the magic circle at her feet and one ghost light.  Would have been less than 5 minutes but I fiddled with the color of the light and the placement a bit. 

DEFENDER.png
    1236 x 1236 - 3M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • TooncesToonces Posts: 919

Hey guys! I'm so sorry. I wasn't getting any email alerts from the thread so i thought it had naturally died out. Thanks so much to everyone helping each other, i really appreciate your support :) I'm still working on a follow up to this product, with a more involved set of tooling and props for people who would like more from the utility. I've already had some great feedback from the testers i'm working with, but if anyone has any other input to share, i'm all ears.

Thanks everyone, i'll try and keep up to date with this thread from now on!

One suggetion for the follow up product - consider adding a circular shape (unless there's already a way to easily change the default square shape to a circle).

Toonces said:

Hey guys! I'm so sorry. I wasn't getting any email alerts from the thread so i thought it had naturally died out. Thanks so much to everyone helping each other, i really appreciate your support :) I'm still working on a follow up to this product, with a more involved set of tooling and props for people who would like more from the utility. I've already had some great feedback from the testers i'm working with, but if anyone has any other input to share, i'm all ears.

Thanks everyone, i'll try and keep up to date with this thread from now on!

One suggetion for the follow up product - consider adding a circular shape (unless there's already a way to easily change the default square shape to a circle).

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Cheers,

Alex.

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416

Wow ! I'm impressed.  Thank you !  Perfect interior lighting solution.   I enjoy creating architectural scenes, but alway's discouraged due to improper lighting, either to bright or not enough.  I just purchased this product, within 45 minute use, I'm am very impressed, very easy to use.  Exact lighting solution I've been desiring.  Now, I can finish architectural interior scenes I gave up on yes 

Awesomefb said:

Wow ! I'm impressed.  Thank you !  Perfect interior lighting solution.   I enjoy creating architectural scenes, but alway's discouraged due to improper lighting, either to bright or not enough.  I just purchased this product, within 45 minute use, I'm am very impressed, very easy to use.  Exact lighting solution I've been desiring.  Now, I can finish architectural interior scenes I gave up on yes 

Glad you're enjoying it FB! The more you use them, the more intuitive the process will become.

• Has anyone noticed any weirdness with this product since the update? I used it flawlessly before, and now sometimes when I render the same exact scenes as before the lighting level is wildly variable, usually much more intense and washed-out, sometimes not there at all.

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,001

Has anyone noticed any weirdness with this product since the update? I used it flawlessly before, and now sometimes when I render the same exact scenes as before the lighting level is wildly variable, usually much more intense and washed-out, sometimes not there at all.

None so far.

edited June 2017

Has anyone noticed any weirdness with this product since the update? I used it flawlessly before, and now sometimes when I render the same exact scenes as before the lighting level is wildly variable, usually much more intense and washed-out, sometimes not there at all.

I can't say i've noticed anything different on my end. Do you by and chance have and old save file from a render you've done? If so, you can re-render and see if there are any differences. I too would be interested to know if anyone else has encountered this.

Post edited by KindredArts on
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

No problems whatsoever. I used a Ghost Light added to another light product (Pro-Studio HDR)  with both my Honey and Raine renders and no problems. I also used it to light a logo, with print, and no problems. Worked as before. 

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

There was an update? lol...

I'm not seeing any differences, or maybe I'd recall the update. Anyway, I used ghost lights in a render I did for the Hidden Treasures- Fun with Older Sets thread in the Art Studio forum. The only lighting inside the set is a ghost light for each window, placed just inside. The windows are emissive to simulate light coming through, but they are not transparent. The only other lighting is the default HDRI, which doesn't reach into the back of the set. This is...

BRC - Serenity

BRC - Serenity, in Iray, by L'Adair

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    L'Adair said:

There was an update? lol...

I'm not seeing any differences, or maybe I'd recall the update. Anyway, I used ghost lights in a render I did for the Hidden Treasures- Fun with Older Sets thread in the Art Studio forum. The only lighting inside the set is a ghost light for each window, placed just inside. The windows are emissive to simulate light coming through, but they are not transparent. The only other lighting is the default HDRI, which doesn't reach into the back of the set. This is...

BRC - Serenity

@ladair  That's very pretty- it's tranquil. Just the perfect amount of light. The details on those windows are crisp and really make it look three dimensional, I feel like I could walk in and actually be there.

• Seven193Seven193 Posts: 1,061

Should these ghost lights cover just the window glass, or should they be expanded to cover the entire wall, from floor to ceiling?