Carrara not using all of my render nodes! Solved!

15678911»

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

does 3d mousies work with carrara?

MistyMist said:

dunno if it worth getting one of these?

From what I've heard - No... they don't work for Carrara.

thanks! smiley 

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    mindsong said:

We get 4 render-nodes with a normal Carrara 8.5 Purchase, right? If you own more than one Carrara license, can you somehow enable those remote render-nodes too, or do you have to buy the 'grid' product?

Given we had a shot at getting another license for $1.13 last week, that might be a good way to expand your cluster!

I guess the question is - does the main Carrara node check/count the remote render nodes?

cheers,

--ms

With the Carrara pro you have 25 Cores (threads) so you could use a Z800 or Z820 no problem.

With grid you get upto 100 Cores. I got it while it was on sale and got close to 70% off by the time the staking was done.

Thanks for the reply!,

so more questions come from the answer - if I have two legit Carrara licenses in house, can I run 50 threads on a single or batch render from one of the Carrara sessions (a master of sorts)?

When Daz/Carrara use the term 'thread' are they meaning cores or threads - e.g. does an I7 with 4 cores and 4 hyperthreads consume 8 threads?

can you stack grids?

has anyone run render-nodes on wine?

does Carrara simply say 'no' if you try to run renders with more resources than you've bought, or is it an honor system/mechanism?

(I almost bought grid on that sale as well, I think I got fenric's stuff instead, which is an easy winner tho'..., Maybe next pass!)

cheers,

--ms

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    mindsong said:

We get 4 render-nodes with a normal Carrara 8.5 Purchase, right? If you own more than one Carrara license, can you somehow enable those remote render-nodes too, or do you have to buy the 'grid' product?

Given we had a shot at getting another license for $1.13 last week, that might be a good way to expand your cluster!

I guess the question is - does the main Carrara node check/count the remote render nodes?

cheers,

--ms

With the Carrara pro you have 25 Cores (threads) so you could use a Z800 or Z820 no problem.

With grid you get upto 100 Cores. I got it while it was on sale and got close to 70% off by the time the staking was done.

Back when Carrara was developed there was only cores and Hyperthreading wasn't around so it treats each thread like it is 

mindsong said:
    mindsong said:

cheers,

--ms

Thanks for the reply!,

so more questions come from the answer - if I have two legit Carrara licenses in house, can I run 50 threads on a single or batch render from one of the Carrara sessions (a master of sorts)?

When Daz/Carrara use the term 'thread' are they meaning cores or threads - e.g. does an I7 with 4 cores and 4 hyperthreads consume 8 threads?

can you stack grids?

does Carrara simply say 'no' if you try to run renders with more resources than you've bought, or is it an honor system/mechanism?

(I almost bought grid on that sale as well, I think I got fenric's stuff instead, which is an easy winner tho'..., Maybe next pass!)

cheers,

--ms

Back when Carrara was developed there was only cores and Hyperthreading wasn't around so it treats each thread like it is its own core.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

lookin for the ebay specials cool - dual xeon or dual i7, if could get close to 4ghz would be nice, win7pro.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,223
    MistyMist said:

lookin for the ebay specials cool - dual xeon or dual i7, if could get close to 4ghz would be nice, win7pro.

Can't wait to see what you get!

mindsong said:
    mindsong said:

cheers,

--ms

Thanks for the reply!,

can you stack grids?

cheers,

--ms

Back when Carrara was developed there was only cores and Hyperthreading wasn't around so it treats each thread like it is its own core.

Yeah... technology was different then. It really wasn't that long ago when we got our first taste of a dual-core pocessor. Feels kind of like yesterday, in fact.

Um... Hmmm. 14 threads in one CPU? Nope. 14 Cores, 28 threads!

https://ark.intel.com/products/91770/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2690-v4-35M-Cache-2_60-GHz

That's 56 threads when a pair of these are used. Wait... why am I sweating?

Have I mentioned my Birthday is coming in four days? LOL

Work just ordered a bunch of the 2699 CPU servers with 22 cores each processer with 2 processers that is 88 Threads per machine. One server almost takes you to the Grid limit.

I don't think we even need grid if all cores are on the main Carrara machine - only if we farm out from it via Network. I could be wrong.

So we would end up with 172 cores crunching with 2 servers.

Think of how fast that would be.

I'm giddy with the though of a single 88 core device! Yikes!

To tell the truth, if you'd ever see how fast my animations render on my machine, you'd see why I'm thinking I'd be entirely content with an Z600 or 800 with two HT six-core xeons making 24 cores on the one box. Instead of networking to the machine I have now, I'd likely just use this one for post processing while rendering on that one.

172 cores? (Dart just fainted - but he's smiling still)