Terrain exporting for use in Poser

BurpeeBurpee Posts: 152
edited June 2012 in Bryce Discussion

When I export a terrain from Bryce7Pro into Hexagon to manipulate it before using in Poser I see that it triangulates the faces instead of rectangles.

Does anyone know if this will create problems inside of Poser? I know that some programs do not like faces that aren't 4-sided.

Post edited by Burpee on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2012

Poser will except tri's but more often than not you will have some issues with it. You can work around it by turning off smoothing

I am also tol to tell you that there is a setting in Hex to trurn tris into quads, and also that if you export as 3ds you will get tris, but shouldn't if you use obj.

another edit, I am getting info from 2 different sources here.

1} this is why most PA's will turn of smoothing when saving out their props. Tris like to split seams becase the can't be beveled. Poser requares at lease a 45degree bevel for smoothing to work properly

2} Poser will handle tris fine if smoothing is turned off
    or the model as a lot of polys

Post edited by Chohole on
  • BurpeeBurpee Posts: 152
    edited June 2012

Thank you for responding so quickly.

I know that Hexagon has a 'convert surfaces to tri' but I can't ever seem to find a quad option. Thought I'd seen it once though....will look again.

I did export as an OBJ. I exported a test and a mesh version OBJ. I only loaded the test version into Hexagon. Possibly the test version obj is different from the mesh obj version?

Since this is to be a terrain, non smoothing might work ok. I just didn't want to spend my time working on a terrain just to have it not work in Poser or DS....oh, and that's another question....does it cause problems for DS?

Post edited by Burpee on
    edited December 1969

I found the quad tesselation in the vertex modelling menu. Looked like it might crash Hexagon but it worked fine. Pretty cool, first time I'd tried it. Thanks again.

edited December 1969

Glad to be of help. I was picking other peoples brains and just passing the answers on to you, as I don't use Hex, although I did buy it when it first came out, and have updated it since, but I am not getting on with it. I am not a modeller, I have decided.

edited June 2012

I'm not quite sure what I am either :) I think I like modelling a bit better than texturing only because I have trouble getting my textures to look really crisp sometimes. My best textures, that the testers said were the best DS textures they'd ever seen for DS only sold a few and that's disheartening. Models seem to sell better. The problem is that I have to texture them too :) :)

In a perfect world I would not have to work at all and could play computer games all day...sigh.

Chohole, your moniker sounds familiar and I wonder if I used to comment on your artwork at Renderosity. If so, your work was wonderful. Hexagon is an amazingly simple, but powerful program to learn. Geekatplay has the best set of tutorials that I' found and can get anyone started. People will sometimes say that they aren't modellers but they jjst haven't gotten to that point where they really know.

I never wanted to learn to golf and hubby used to ask me to play with thim. Wasn't interested and thought I couldn't do it. With work I found that if I golfed I got to take the day off and play in outings and get paid so I made the attempt. I started golfing at 40 and after a few years I was a 14 handicap. Point heer is that sometimes we think we are no good or are not interested in something just to find to that we really are. Don't let modelling pass you by. Do one tutorial a week and soon you'll find that it's so easy that you want to do it more. Hexagon is an amazing program. If they ever get all the bugs out it will beat out a lot of much pricier software.

Post edited by Burpee on
  • silk_99cfbbf5d0silk_99cfbbf5d0 Posts: 38
    edited December 1969

If you have to do a lot of texturing, I recommend Genetica from Spiral Graphics. http://www.spiralgraphics.biz/gen2tour/index.htm

edited June 2012

Burpee, it is quite possible that you do remember me from Rendo, I sill have a gallery there, which was started back in 2000, although just lately it doesn't get quite so many images added to it as it used to. I seem to have other things to do just lately, and have less time to produce images. :down:

Post edited by Chohole on