Low Poly Conforming Dynamic Hair Collider for V4 AND M4 (with morphs)

stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
edited February 2017 in Carrara Discussion

Use this conforming low-poly head and upper body shell to increase the speed of your dynamic hair drapes and simulations. It conforms to V4 or M4 and will auto fit to Genesis and Genesis 2 (use hair as the type).  

Put the .car file in your object browser for quick access.
Drag onto your instance pane and fit to your figure. 
Use the adjustement morphs (Model > General tab) to dial in the fit and the hairline and other morphs to adjust as needed.
Make sure you turn off "Collide with hairs" on your main figure.
Turn off the visibility of the hair collider model during rendering.
To save your hair styles just rename and drag onto your object browser to use later. 
Multiple hairstyles can be built on the same hair collider shell and then hidden/deactivated when not in use.
The hair loads with the default hair settings plus a density map for the hairline.
Increase your guide count for better collision results.
V4 and M4 versions.
Have Fun!

Post edited by stringtheory9 on

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Thank you.  Very generous.  Very useful.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Thank you I will have to see what I cant do with it.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,209

Very cool! Thanks stringtheory9!!!

edited February 2017

I just posted this image in another thread before seeing this one. What a coincidence!

This one is using very few hairs with their thickness turned up - meant to go back and increase the quality if I could ever figure out how to get super curly hair like this to animate without glitches.

I think it's an anomoly with the fact that the curls are created via the shader, as I still don't know how to make the curls manually and have them hold their shape while still allowing the hair to flow as if it wasn't stiff - a by product of hollding the shape during simulation, I think - but could be wrong.

I alwasy want to revisit the idea of simulating her hair dynamically, and I always do so using proxies. Never hurts to have more of them to play with, so... thank you for sharing your hard work ;)

Maybe for my next attempt I'll juust try the same thing but without the curls. I could then see if I can just find a way to add the curls to the dynamic hair in post - something I've dreamt of doing back when I made this.

Before the curls are added, the strands are three feet long

Bummer about the flicker thing.

I really love this hair - it looks so much like the real Rosie's beautiful hair

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited February 2017

You're welcome guys.

Dart, that hair looks really great on Rosie. It really is unfortunate that the shader stylers flicker when animated since it's almost impossible to achieve the same styling using only the guide hairs. I'm working on a way to use additional vertex objects in the collider model (since its already present in the hair room) to control the drapping of hair so that we have a little more control over drape styling. Your Rosie curl issue lead me to try a corrugated plane to let the hair drape on. The images below were of a 2 minute proof of concept but I would imagine with the right planning and a bit of work and fiddling you might be able to get a decent Rosie curl result :-)

rosiehair.jpg
    929 x 2633 - 690K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017

Thanks.

Can we upload the file to Carrara Cafe Downloads too?

OK to use this for copyright info?

Public Domain: http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Thanks stringtheory9! I have Jonstark's proxy collider,  and Phil's head proxy that came with Adrea Hair. This is a bit different for the back...and will look forward to your collider for wavy hair. I agree, guides are almost impossible to work with. The clumping tool could be better as well. It just does not behave consistently.

I love working with hair and this is a great asset. My people have strange head shapes, so anything like this is amazing for me YAY!  

Cheers!!!    yes Silene

Right, I've tried the styling tools, Silene, but they come out when animated, especially in three foot long hair. Clumping in the shader has the same problem with flickering, I think... I could be wrong.

We'll see.

edited February 2017

3drendero said:

Thanks.

Can we upload the file to Carrara Cafe Downloads too?

OK to use this for copyright info?

Public Domain: http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/

3drendero, yes please feel free to do so.  There are no restrictions or limits on its use. 

• Silene, I was using Jonstarks collider when I thought it would be cool if it would conform and from there ended up with this. I didn't realise PhilW had a head proxy in Adrea Hair. It's a good way to make dynamic hair interchangeable! 

Silene, I was using Jonstarks collider when I thought it would be cool if it would conform and from there ended up with this. I didn't realise PhilW had a head proxy in Adrea Hair. It's a good way to make dynamic hair interchangeable! 

The Advanced Carrara Techniques course comes with a whole low-poly proxy for the whole V4 figure along with a face shield. Works great! That's what I used in the above image but, of course, you just can't tell ;)

edited February 2017

Added a link to this thread in my Dynamic Hair section of the manual

► Dynamic Hair

and under "Dynamic Hair" in the

► Forum Help Links

One of these days I need to comb through the forum and update that some more. I actually use that quite a lot still for finding answers for others and myself ;)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Dart, it's a super useful reference! Thanks for adding the link. 

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365

Great Stuff! Thanks a lot!

Dart, it's a super useful reference! Thanks for adding the link. 

Right! The posts can get lost behind a page or two pretty quickly, then it starts to get harder and herder to find. So having a link to it in there helps me find it quicker ;)

edited February 2017

M4 is no longer feeling left out!  I just added an M4 version to the original post. 

M4 is no longer feeling left out!  I just added an M4 version to the original post. 

Sweet! Now it's a suite!!!