Look at my Hair: official thread [Commercial] RELEASED!

Comments

• SedorSedor Posts: 1,764
    edited December 1969

sedor said:
    Does LAMH write a log file?

Currently I am getting some crashes when savong/loading presets, but I at the moment I can't track it down.

Yes, it in Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/lookatmyHairAM/logFile.txt

If you encounter issues, please email the log to me and Kendall and we'll take a look at it.

I looked at the log but don't see any errors reported there - should I send it anyway? (to which adress?)

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

sedor said:
    sedor said:
    Does LAMH write a log file?

Currently I am getting some crashes when savong/loading presets, but I at the moment I can't track it down.

Yes, it in Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/lookatmyHairAM/logFile.txt

If you encounter issues, please email the log to me and Kendall and we'll take a look at it.

I looked at the log but don't see any errors reported there - should I send it anyway? (to which adress?)

Hi Sedor,
    The log gets overwritten with each run, so if you have a run without a crash the previous data will be gone. In any case, send any information/questions/complaints to krsears (at) trdc.biz

Thanks
    Kendall

• SedorSedor Posts: 1,764
    edited December 1969

Hy Kendall,

ah, that explains it - I'll continue working with LAMH tomorrow and if it crashes again I'll grab the log and mail it to you!

Thanks,
    Markus

edited December 1969

sedor said:
    Hy Kendall,

ah, that explains it - I'll continue working with LAMH tomorrow and if it crashes again I'll grab the log and mail it to you!

Thanks,
    Markus

That will be fine, especially if it is something that you can replicate at will.

We overwrite the logs so that they don't become unwieldy and a problem for people.

Kendall

• shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 2012

Hurray! My first attempt with LAMH. 1hour 16 minutes to render. The video tutorials were a great help. Her expression is no indication of the plugin :-)

LAMH_test_1.png
    726 x 722 - 370K
    Post edited by shaaelia on
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,490
    edited December 1969

Woo! I'm going to watch them all too, probably lots of little details I forgot :) And agreed, Alessandro has a fantastic voice for these, great for listening to. :)

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Shaaelia said:
    Hurray! My first attempt with LAMH. 1hour 16 minutes to render. The video tutorials were a great help. Her expression is no indication of the plugin :-)

The hair-color looks absolutely lovely. What settings did you use in LAMH (size of follicles-tip and root)? After watching the tutorial I managed to get a decent-looking hair using the cut and brush-tools, but the shader needs work, as my render would look rather 'flat'.

edited December 1969

Shaaelia said:

Now. See, that's what I'm talking about Shaa! Wasn't that fun? :-)

Kendall

edited December 1969

Shaaelia said:

The hair-color looks absolutely lovely. What settings did you use in LAMH (size of follicles-tip and root)? After watching the tutorial I managed to get a decent-looking hair using the cut and brush-tools, but the shader needs work, as my render would look rather 'flat'.

I used Genesis - silk hair longer fringe as a base to work off, and played with the style till I got to the above effect. Size of the follicles root is: 130 and tip is: 80. When exporting, I chose 120'000 for the hair quantity.

The hair colour is actually a bit of a cheat. After exporting back into Daz, I went into the surface tab and used the map from Nefits WildMane Hair. The Root is the Dark brown mat, the Tip is the red mat and Specular is the blonde mat. The colour bar I left all at 255-255-255 (just plain white).

Haven't figured out the cut tool yet. Looking forward to listening to more of the tutorials when the kids aren't awake.

Kendall - way more fun than assignment work! ;-) Back to it tomorrow though.

edited December 1969

Shaaelia said:
    Shaaelia said:

I used Genesis - silk hair longer fringe as a base to work off, and played with the style till I got to the above effect. Size of the follicles root is: 130 and tip is: 80. When exporting, I chose 120'000 for the hair quantity.

The hair colour is actually a bit of a cheat. After exporting back into Daz, I went into the surface tab and used the map from Nefits WildMane Hair. The Root is the Dark brown mat, the Tip is the red mat and Specular is the blonde mat. The colour bar I left all at 255-255-255 (just plain white).

Haven't figured out the cut tool yet. Looking forward to listening to more of the tutorials when the kids aren't awake.

Kendall - way more fun than assignment work! ;-) Back to it tomorrow though.

Thanks!! I wonder if I didn't make a mistake when the tip of the hair is slightly smaller (2 units) than the root, while you have 50 units difference. Thanks for the tip using the map from Neftis!

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,490
    edited December 1969

For me I like to use shaders on the hair... Most favorite is using Fisty's sparkle shaders... plain velvet for a simple more matte hair and sparkly velvet for rich glossy hair. :) Looks great!

edited December 1969

For me I like to use shaders on the hair... Most favorite is using Fisty's sparkle shaders... plain velvet for a simple more matte hair and sparkly velvet for rich glossy hair. :) Looks great!

Interesting! Hmmm, I think I have some of Fisty's shaders.

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

Shaaelia said:

This is a first attempt ? I'll be VERY curious to see your next one! :)

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,282
    edited December 1969

I haven't watched the new set of videos yet, getting close to my download limit for the month so I'm going to download them tomorrow at work ;-) So forgive me if these are covered.

I am working on a hair model for my character and was wondering if there is a way of shaving the face of the guide hairs other than snipping almost one at a time. Once I have styled using the tools they are curled and harder to catch. I am finding when I render it sticks at the eyelashes for a couple of minutes before carrying on, and all I can think of it is the guide hairs causing it. It doesn't appear to do it on the presets I've tried so I assume it is something I am doing wrong.

My next problem isn't specific to LAMH, but can anyone who has done Reality renders tell me of any tweaks to get LAMH to render? I got Reality a few days before LAMH so I am learning both at once and when I try and render hair created in LAMH it isn't there... I did a cat picture on Monday and thought I had smoothed the long fur back too much but it was my first Reality render so I was impressed, but a couple of days later I tested my hair preset on M5, and he was bald! Went back and tried a really fluffy cat preset again - it renders fine in 3Delight, under an IBL Skydome I created from a tutorial, and in a Skybox, but disappears in Reality. I am sure it is something basic I am not doing. Any help would be appreciated.

I've had a few crashes but I worked out most of them are down to my impatience in not waiting until LAMH finishes doing what I asked before I click on the next thing. I'm trying to learn patience and waiting a bit after I think it is finished before moving on. ;-)

I would also like to thank Alessandro and Kendall for their great work, support last weekend getting me up and running, and timing - work is dead so I have been taking my laptop into work when I have to be in and spending all day and the holidays playing with LAMH (and Reality). It would have driven me nuts having to sit at work and waiting until I could get home at night any other time of the year :-)

edited December 1969

3Ddreamer said:
    I haven't watched the new set of videos yet, getting close to my download limit for the month so I'm going to download them tomorrow at work ;-) So forgive me if these are covered.

I am working on a hair model for my character and was wondering if there is a way of shaving the face of the guide hairs other than snipping almost one at a time. Once I have styled using the tools they are curled and harder to catch. I am finding when I render it sticks at the eyelashes for a couple of minutes before carrying on, and all I can think of it is the guide hairs causing it. It doesn't appear to do it on the presets I've tried so I assume it is something I am doing wrong.

My next problem isn't specific to LAMH, but can anyone who has done Reality renders tell me of any tweaks to get LAMH to render? I got Reality a few days before LAMH so I am learning both at once and when I try and render hair created in LAMH it isn't there... I did a cat picture on Monday and thought I had smoothed the long fur back too much but it was my first Reality render so I was impressed, but a couple of days later I tested my hair preset on M5, and he was bald! Went back and tried a really fluffy cat preset again - it renders fine in 3Delight, under an IBL Skydome I created from a tutorial, and in a Skybox, but disappears in Reality. I am sure it is something basic I am not doing. Any help would be appreciated.

I've had a few crashes but I worked out most of them are down to my impatience in not waiting until LAMH finishes doing what I asked before I click on the next thing. I'm trying to learn patience and waiting a bit after I think it is finished before moving on. ;-)

I would also like to thank Alessandro and Kendall for their great work, support last weekend getting me up and running, and timing - work is dead so I have been taking my laptop into work when I have to be in and spending all day and the holidays playing with LAMH (and Reality). It would have driven me nuts having to sit at work and waiting until I could get home at night any other time of the year :-)

Hi 3Ddreamer,

I apologize if I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "if there is a way of shaving the face of the guide hairs other than snipping almost one at a time.", but why not using the scissors on the guide hair directly? I mean, you could increase the brush size and cut the guides at a certain point.

Also, about the "I am finding when I render it sticks at the eyelashes for a couple of minutes before carrying on, and all I can think of it is the guide hairs causing it", do you mean that the renders pause for a couple of minutes at the eyelashes, and the it resumes?

If you'd like me to take a look, you could zip and email me your .lmh preset file so that I can't take a look...

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,712
    edited December 1969

The eyes, whether for the transparency on the lashes or the reflective settings on the eyes themselves, often cause a pause in the render progress for me - are you sure what you are seeing is down to LAMH?

edited December 1969

Sorry I am not being clear - Yes I have been using the snipping tool and have been enlarged and reduced the size of the brush, but I think I should do this before styling the hair and not after, because when they curl some I can never catch to snip, especially around the eyes and lashes. Yes the render pauses for a couple of minutes at the lashes - and I have seen it actually mention the lashes in the render dialogue box - and then it resumes, generally it is between 48-51% mark on a head shot.

I'll zip up my lmh files and send it to see if you can see what I am doing wrong, Thanks.

edited December 1969

Sorry Richard - we cross posted. It is the base M5 character rendered with one or two lights in 3Delight and it doesn't pause noticeably when I am not using LAMH. At first I thought I had left some red there - I did when painting and had hairs coming out the lips ;-) But I checked over that on the density map.

edited December 1969

3Ddreamer said:
    Sorry I am not being clear - Yes I have been using the snipping tool and have been enlarged and reduced the size of the brush, but I think I should do this before styling the hair and not after, because when they curl some I can never catch to snip, especially around the eyes and lashes. Yes the render pauses for a couple of minutes at the lashes - and I have seen it actually mention the lashes in the render dialogue box - and then it resumes, generally it is between 48-51% mark on a head shot.

I'll zip up my lmh files and send it to see if you can see what I am doing wrong, Thanks.

Well, the cutting (or scissors, or snipping) tool is meant to work anytime. When you say that it won't work properly after they curl, you mean that after applying the curl effect (through the slider), cutting won't work as supposed?

edited December 1969

I don't think it is anything in LAMH, just my ability to use it ;-) I'm not having much success cutting guide hairs after I apply the deformers, I guess I am either accidently including the root node or something because some I can never cut no matter what I do

edited December 2012

3Ddreamer said:
    I don't think it is anything in LAMH, just my ability to use it ;-) I'm not having much success cutting guide hairs after I apply the deformers, I guess I am either accidently including the root node or something because some I can never cut no matter what I do

Hi, got your .lmh file!

I see your point, indeed cutting hair away from such tiny and small areas can be difficult. I'll prepare a movie tonight to show a different and faster approach, using also density maps. See you soon... :)

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
  • SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Shaaelia said:

That's really nice. Love the color and the bangs. The ends look so, so, real!

edited December 1969

Shaaelia said:

This is a first attempt ? I'll be VERY curious to see your next one! :)

Wow, thank you Alessandro :-D. Thinking about the next scene at the moment... I have a few ideas in mind, just need to choose one :-)

That's really nice. Love the color and the bangs. The ends look so, so, real!

Thanks Spit. I was amazed when it rendered out, it looks so much finer than I was expecting.

• hakcayurekhakcayurek Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

Hi Alessandro

When I export using OBJs and use reality render to render, Lux gives missing error on a jpeg file.

[2012-12-31 01:03:49 Error: 2] Error hashing file /Documents/DAZ 3D/StudiolookatmyhairAMgeometryGenesis_TMap_0.jpg'
    [2012-12-31 01:03:49 Error: 3] Unable to open image file '/Documents/DAZ 3D/StudiolookatmyhairAMgeometryGenesis_TMap_0.jpg'

This is because the scene file contains following line

Texture "default_8.Kd" "color" "imagemap" "string filename" [" /Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio\lookatmyhairAM\geometry\Genesis_TMap_0.jpg ...

I'm suspecting this is because the jpeg file was referred with backslash \ in the materials. While this may be a bug in the reality plugin, and has a work around by changing the reality scene file manually, I was wondering if something can be also done in the next release of LAMH to avoid using directories. None of the other material textures have path in their name, instead they just have the file name.

Thanks

edited December 2012

Hi hakcayurek, I'm forwarding this to Kendall so that we can take a better look at it. Some users reported that the .jpg generated by LAMH was somehow not readable by Lux (while it worked fine on other applications such as Vue, Octane, Keyshot etc.), and they had to open it in an external image editor and resave it, to make it work.
    So we'll definitely take a look, thanks for sending these details.

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
    edited December 1969

3Ddreamer said:

Hi, got your .lmh file!

I see your point, indeed cutting hair away from such tiny and small areas can be difficult. I'll prepare a movie tonight to show a different and faster approach, using also density maps. See you soon... :)

Many thanks. I am sure it will get easier with practice :-)

edited December 1969

I'm getting better results now. I think it's because I didn't export as OBJ and used the standard shader preset as made by Alex. The first time I exported as an OBJ was because the render stopped due to something after I exported as Renderman splines, and I wanted to see 'anything'. Not sure why DS wouldn't render, but it works perfectly fine now.

edited December 1969

Playing again - everything from scratch this time. It's not perfect, but it is pigtails!

Pigtails.png
    726 x 566 - 597K
  • Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

OK, I apologize as I'm sure this has been asked, but is this dynamic hair? How well does it animate? Anyone have a link to a video? I love the look of it in stills, but I'm also interested in its animation potential.

• KrazyHorse2KrazyHorse2 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hi Alessandro

When I export using OBJs and use reality render to render, Lux gives missing error on a jpeg file.

[2012-12-31 01:03:49 Error: 2] Error hashing file /Documents/DAZ 3D/StudiolookatmyhairAMgeometryGenesis_TMap_0.jpg'
    [2012-12-31 01:03:49 Error: 3] Unable to open image file '/Documents/DAZ 3D/StudiolookatmyhairAMgeometryGenesis_TMap_0.jpg'

This is because the scene file contains following line

Texture "default_8.Kd" "color" "imagemap" "string filename" [" /Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio\lookatmyhairAM\geometry\Genesis_TMap_0.jpg ...

I'm suspecting this is because the jpeg file was referred with backslash \ in the materials. While this may be a bug in the reality plugin, and has a work around by changing the reality scene file manually, I was wondering if something can be also done in the next release of LAMH to avoid using directories. None of the other material textures have path in their name, instead they just have the file name.

Thanks

Hi hakcayurek, I'm forwarding this to Kendall so that we can take a better look at it. Some users reported that the .jpg generated by LAMH was somehow not readable by Lux (while it worked fine on other applications such as Vue, Octane, Keyshot etc.), and they had to open it in an external image editor and resave it, to make it work.
    So we'll definitely take a look, thanks for sending these details.

Just stopped in to see what's up. The back slashes are the problem. I have ran into this issue during my tests and found that editing or correcting these in Reality prior to sending to Lux fixes the problem.

This discussion has been closed.