WIP THREAD FOR NEW USERS CONTEST, December 2012

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I futzed with it some more and changed the hair colours and just decided i'm probably going to have to do some postwork WHICH I DESPISE! and i added some stuff to the background to make it a bit less blank. Any thoughts or suggestions on how i could improve so i can dry my eyes out some more in front of the screen :P
    Looks good, needs some real lighting added, when you do I think your going to find some of the posing for the Moms hands will need tweaking. But overall I think it looks very good.
  • Security16Security16 Posts: 79
    edited December 1969

Damn that hand!!! i just can't seem to get it quite right :( oh well off to try some more!

edited December 1969

I think i have it now. Well for tonight anyway the eyes are dry and my brain has had enough! Any last opinions before i submit?

Xmas2012.jpg
    703 x 800 - 379K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Sweet image Security 16

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Sweet image Security 16
    I Ditto this.

@Szark, are you EVERYWHERE today?
    edited December 1969

Yep the ubiquitous Szark. :)

• GrazeGraze Posts: 418
    edited December 1969

Well, this is my idea of a Christmas Card with my render.

Again, thanks Szark, for all the info on composition. Although I couldn't quite get the angel at a one third intersection unless I crop a wing.

X-mas_Card_2.JPG
    680 x 798 - 352K
    edited December 1969

Mr Leong said:

Again, thanks Szark, for all the info on composition. Although I couldn't quite get the angel at a one third intersection unless I crop a wing.

Works well anyway. Nice Render.
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 2012

Security 16: Very cute, I like it!
    Mr Leong: Nice job. The point lights on the wings turned out well...I wouldn't have thought to do it that way.

Here's my basically complete project. I'm going to sleep on it and decide whether to submit it as is, or whether I should try to improve it somehow. Any feedback would be appreciated...

Raw render posted too, for basis of comparison.

Lucy - Australopithecus
    Homer - Homo erectus
    Candace - Homo sapiens
    Neal and Thalia - Homo neanderthalensis

All Genesis except for Homer, and he's actually the first M4 character I rendered (excepting test renders)!

hominids1h.jpg
    800 x 800 - 469K
    hominids1h-pw2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 510K
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

Mr Leong said:

My pleasure

This is a good example of how light can draw the eye even though she in not quite on the spot it still works.

I like it.

edited December 1969

LOL Scott very funny render reminds me of some folks around here. :) I can't find anything wrong really mind you I am not to well today and can't think straight.

edited December 1969

Don't forget folks two more days to get your images posted to the main contest thread.

Shame about the turn out but being Xmas many are busy. :(

edited December 1969

The ape Christmas reminds me of my family a bit :P I hope that there are going to be a few more last minute entries

edited December 1969

I also wish for a few more, but I love the quality of the ones entered so far. Nice work folks.

edited December 1969

Sorry about that yes Jaderail I should have added a bit about the quality my bad. Thanks for adding that.....yep bad day today but feeling much better now.

edited December 1969

Thanks, Szark. Sorry to hear that you haven't been well but I'm glad you are doing better.

Glad you're enjoying my image. Of course it's primarily comedic, but there's also a bit of a deeper message there that I hope people can see. :) I made a minor change (opacity of the fuzzy white layer under the text), decided it's done, and posted it to the contest thread.

I've actually been working on a second project for the past several days. I think I may be able to finish it tonight. Foreground rendered in DS, background in Bryce (can't claim to have composed this scene, but I did at least successfully install, load, and render it--which is as much as I've done with Bryce so far...I will make an effort to learn more in 2013).

seasons2a.jpg
    600 x 800 - 414K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yee hah I have tempted someone else into trying out Bryce. :coolsmirk:

Nice one Scott.

• GrazeGraze Posts: 418
    edited December 1969

Jaderail, Szark - Thanks.

Scott-Livingston - My first attempt was to shine different colored SPOTlights on the wings. Didn't work out too well.
    But I like experimenting with Daz Studio to find out new things about the software.

And nice take on the modern photo Christmas card.

• IlenaIlena Posts: 280
    edited December 2012

Happy new 2013 year people. Wishing you lots of money, friends, love and above all health.

Their first Christmas eve

decembar_takmicenje.jpg
    800 x 591 - 380K
    Post edited by Ilena on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

Last call. Everybody be sure to submit your images to the contest thread. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/12655/

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

I've actually been working on a second project for the past several days. I think I may be able to finish it tonight. Foreground rendered in DS, background in Bryce (can't claim to have composed this scene, but I did at least successfully install, load, and render it--which is as much as I've done with Bryce so far...I will make an effort to learn more in 2013).

Well it's a lovely render Scott. I especially like the flower-shaped snow flurries. Nicely done sir! ;-)
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Szark. Sorry to hear that you haven't been well but I'm glad you are doing better.

Glad you're enjoying my image. Of course it's primarily comedic, but there's also a bit of a deeper message there that I hope people can see. :) I made a minor change (opacity of the fuzzy white layer under the text), decided it's done, and posted it to the contest thread.

If you can somehow have the snow fairies layer cast a shadow onto the background it would make it look a bit better and help it look less like 2 images put together. I think a few of the imaging software type things have a drop shadow feature :D

edited December 1969

If you can somehow have the snow fairies layer cast a shadow onto the background it would make it look a bit better and help it look less like 2 images put together. I think a few of the imaging software type things have a drop shadow feature :D
    I disagree, to me they are high in the Air and the Shadows would be very week or totaly washed out if applied to the BG.

Nice to me as is.

edited December 1969

I have to agree with Jaderail in this instance. They're really too high up to cast any noticeable shadows.

edited December 2012

Thanks, everyone. The foreground and background lighting don't match...this is somewhat intentional, as I wanted to highlight the fairies, but it does unfortunately result in a blue-screen effect...I don't think it's so bad in this case, though, and I'm not sure a drop shadow would be the best solution (though I'll keep it in mind for future renders).

The flowery snowflakes are actually one of the flower props from the Seasons outfit (which both characters are wearing, by the way), duplicated over 100 times using the New Node Instances function in DS4.5 (find it in the Create menu). One of the prop's mat options is a wintery snowflake-like look that I thought would work really well for this purpose.

The character is Surreality's Tamesis, using her Sylvan Elf skin. The fairy on the left is the TamesisHuman shape, while the one on the right is the Otherworldly Wonders shape. Tamesis is one of my favorite characters, but this is the one of the first times I've rendered her in her default shape(s) without mixing morphs.

Chohole, your renders (and advocacy) were definitely a big factor in getting me to start playing in Bryce, but it's actually something I've wanted to do for a long time. I first became aware of Bryce in the late 90s and have been curious about it since...it was the offer of free Bryce that actually lured me here earlier this year, but once I became aware of DS and the fact that it is also free I got hooked on that instead.

All the entries look really good! Great job, everyone! :-)

seasons2d.jpg
    600 x 800 - 374K
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • edited December 1969

I am probably to late to put in an entry now, and this one isn't for Christmas, but I would still like to wish everyone a Happy New Year and thank everyone as I have learnt so much being a part of these monthly contests.

Dalek.jpg
    1100 x 778 - 203K
    edited December 1969

That's a cool card, bluemoon, and it's probably not too late to enter it. It's still 2012 for two more hours in Utah, and no one has posted yet that the contest is closed.

Happy New Year, everyone! :)

• edited December 1969

Thanks Scott, I will enter it and see what happens.

edited December 1969

I think it's a good, fun render. Happy New Year everyone. :-)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Happy new year all

This Contest is Now Closed

Thanks for participating