Iray Ghost Light render and support thread (Commercial)

Comments

• KinichKinich Posts: 857

hmm. guess I am missing something

I hightlighted all those building, and double clicked on the uber one and nothing happens.

I did find another one that looked like a tea kettle,  (can't seem to find it now)  but that didn't change anything either

No Emisison to find :(

Uber base is a shader not a material preset so the process is slightly different. Select the object in the scene pane, then you need to open the 'Surfaces' pane and select the surfaces for the item (you can select multiple items, and multiple surfaces) then apply the Uber Base shader, this will convert the surface material to a basic Iray one.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

@pkappetein   "No Emisison to find :("

Once you add the Daz Iray UberShader to a surface, You will see a number of settings becaome available. One of which is Emission. Set the Emission colro to white, then the lumenosity settings will become available. See the attached image. I would not do this for your buildings because you will turn all of the surfaces into lights (you said you highlighted all the buildings and double clicked on the Uber one). The most that likely happened would be to convert the surfaces to Iray. You wouldn't see anything visilbe happen.

It's not clear what you're trying to accomplish. If you're trying to light th outdoor scene you show, you don't need ghost lights. They are meant for interior shots. Outside just use an HDRI light.

Capture.JPG
    540 x 578 - 59K
  • From what I was reading (and mayb I was reading it wrong)

that all the surface items needed to have the Uber setting.  So I hightlight all my objects from the scene and applied the Uberbase 

So I can render it in Iray all nicely with the ghost (need to buy it, but from videos and images, it's super easy)  but also with other lights etc.

(I just grabbed this scene, since I knew that this was 3Delight only)    I could have loaded in indoor scene, but couldn't find one, that was 3delight only.
    I can't seem to find those settings anywhere after I did the uber one.   not even an emission setting.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    edited January 2017

@pkappetein  Try this:

(1) Select the object in the scene pane

(2) Select the same object in the Surface pane (you have to select the editor tab at the top of the pane) 

(3) Double-click on the shader. You need to have the surface selected as well as the object for the shader to apply.

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • ok, got it to work now.

I didn't switch to the Surfaces / Editor.

Now everything became colorfull and have all those new settings.

Thank you all :)

edited January 2017

Just a quickie example. One 100K ghost light.

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Nice.  Cool prop too! 

RAMWolff said:

Nice.  Cool prop too! 

Yeah, wish I had one like that in real life!

• RGcincy said:

Just a quickie example. One 100K ghost light.

Awesome image.  :)  What prop is that?

Thanks. It's Set of Liqueur. I didn't know I had it until I was looking for some book props today.

• ROFL....I have it as well.  I thought it looked familiar.  Well color me NOT surprised I have way too much content.  :D  Thanks!

• Wasn't that as a Freebie for members at some point?

• RGcincy said:

@pkappetein  Try this:

(1) Select the object in the scene pane

(2) Select the same object in the Surface pane (you have to select the editor tab at the top of the pane) 

(3) Double-click on the shader. You need to have the surface selected as well as the object for the shader to apply.

Ok this is working,  but i couldn't get it to work for marking several items.   and maybe it works...  Maybe i need to organize my layout,  since i am jumping all over the place.

I should start a new thread about that

RGcincy said:

I should start a new thread about that

That's probably a good idea as others will see it and can give advice.

One note on selecting objects - some sets have them in groups and when you select a group, you may not necessarily select the objects underneath. You should expand all to make sure you are getting everything. That has gotten me a time or two even though I know I should do it.

• KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,229

Hey guys! I'm so sorry. I wasn't getting any email alerts from the thread so i thought it had naturally died out. Thanks so much to everyone helping each other, i really appreciate your support :) I'm still working on a follow up to this product, with a more involved set of tooling and props for people who would like more from the utility. I've already had some great feedback from the testers i'm working with, but if anyone has any other input to share, i'm all ears.

Thanks everyone, i'll try and keep up to date with this thread from now on!

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

I have a question. I loaded a scene withe 3 Ghost Lights (interior) and a single photometric spot light. I set up the spot so that it had a 50 cm disk geometry so as not to make shadows too sharp. The scene took 20 minutes to render using both my 970 and 1070 GPUs. I then tried it without the spotlight. No other changes. The scene rendered in 6 minutes. Any ideas why the photometric light more than tripled the render time?

marble said:

I have a question. I loaded a scene withe 3 Ghost Lights (interior) and a single photometric spot light. I set up the spot so that it had a 50 cm disk geometry so as not to make shadows too sharp. The scene took 20 minutes to render using both my 970 and 1070 GPUs. I then tried it without the spotlight. No other changes. The scene rendered in 6 minutes. Any ideas why the photometric light more than tripled the render time?

Reflections would be my best guess here. My lights have no direct specular effect, so there's far less grunt work in terms of firefly control and specular bouncing. I'm still fairly hazy when it comes to what iray is doing under the hud, but this seems to be one of the reasons that other lights are more costly in terms of render performance.

On another note, i'd be careful about using your 970 and 1070 together. Provided your scenes are under 3.5/4gb you should see decent performance, but beyond that it will fall back to cpu. Iray uses parity across both memory buffers, meaning the same scene is loaded into both card. If you want to render anything over 4gb, i'd disable the 970. You might already know this and i'm just harping on for no reason, i just wanted to make sure. :)

edited January 2017
    marble said:
    On another note, i'd be careful about using your 970 and 1070 together. Provided your scenes are under 3.5/4gb you should see decent performance, but beyond that it will fall back to cpu. Iray uses parity across both memory buffers, meaning the same scene is loaded into both card. If you want to render anything over 4gb, i'd disable the 970. You might already know this and i'm just harping on for no reason, i just wanted to make sure. :)

Thanks. Suffice to say that I managed to get the effect I was hoping for with just the Ghost Lights. 

Yes, I am painfully aware of the 4GB limit - that's what prompted me to get the 1070. However, I believe you are wrong about falling back to CPU. In my experience (and I do monitor this with GPU-Z), exceeding 4GB falls back to the single 1070 not all the way back to CPU. It is probably 30% slower than both cards working but I'm fine with that for larger scenes.

Another odd thing I've noticed and reported in another thread: according to GPU-Z (and MSI Afterburner) IRay seems to take advantage of more of the VRAM in the 1070 than in the 970 during the same render. I can only assume that it automatically adjusts compression according to what's available.

Post edited by marble on
    marble said:
    marble said:

Thanks. Suffice to say that I managed to get the effect I was hoping for with just the Ghost Lights. 

Yes, I am painfully aware of the 4GB limit - that's what prompted me to get the 1070. However, I believe you are wrong about falling back to CPU. In my experience (and I do monitor this with GPU-Z), exceeding 4GB falls back to the single 1070 not all the way back to CPU. It is probably 30% slower than both cards working but I'm fine with that for larger scenes.

Another odd thing I've noticed and reported in another thread: according to GPU-Z (and MSI Afterburner) IRay seems to take advantage of more of the VRAM in the 1070 than in the 970 during the same render. I can only assume that it automatically adjusts compression according to what's available.

Oh really? That's interesting. I wonder if that's a new safeguard of the verbose build? I always heard the renderer would just null both cards in that scenario. Well that's great news for people using different cards.

Glad you got it sorted with the ghosts, it will save those lovely cards from getting unnecessarily toasty.

marble said:
    marble said:

Glad you got it sorted with the ghosts, it will save those lovely cards from getting unnecessarily toasty.

Yeah, heat is why I installed Afterburner. It allows me to profile the fan speeds. Before I installed that I was hitting 83 deg on the 1070 but now it sits nicely at around 65.

marble said:
    marble said:
    marble said:

Yeah, heat is why I installed Afterburner. It allows me to profile the fan speeds. Before I installed that I was hitting 83 deg on the 1070 but now it sits nicely at around 65.

Snap.

I have pretty aggressive profiles and they tend to sit at around 60-65 in afterburner under load. I restarted my pc the other day and forgot to set msi as a startup app - after about an hour of being clueless my cards were nearly in meltdown mode. I'm not sure why the stock nvidia profiles are so lazy. I imagine they want to save the life-span of the fan bearings, but i would have thought heat would have far more effect on overall life-span.

I read on an NVidia forum that these cards are designed to withstand running hot but if so, why put a throttle at 85? I'm much more comfortable knowing that I'm 20 deg below the shutoff point.

Just as an aside, while we are talking about cards. I tried a scene in interactive mode yesterday and got a fright - my screen started going black and then recovering every few seconds, even after I quit DAZ Studio. Thought I'd blown my card. Thankfully a reboot seemed to set it all back to normal again but I won't be trying interactive again soon.

Oh - one more question please. If I return a light to debug mode so that I can reposition it, do I need to set the intensity and other values again?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    marble said:
    marble said:

Oh really? That's interesting. I wonder if that's a new safeguard of the verbose build? I always heard the renderer would just null both cards in that scenario. Well that's great news for people using different cards.

I thought that, too, but Richard Haseltine said that we were given incorrect info early on. Marble is correct, as I now understand it.

marble said:

I read on an NVidia forum that these cards are designed to withstand running hot but if so, why put a throttle at 85? I'm much more comfortable knowing that I'm 20 deg below the shutoff point.

Just as an aside, while we are talking about cards. I tried a scene in interactive mode yesterday and got a fright - my screen started going black and then recovering every few seconds, even after I quit DAZ Studio. Thought I'd blown my card. Thankfully a reboot seemed to set it all back to normal again but I won't be trying interactive again soon.

Oh i thought they throttled in the low 90's? Looks like they've brought it down a touch. I'm not sure what was happening to your monitors, but i wouldn't worry to much. My cards have some funny habits at times, but it usually ends up being something i've done to upset them.

marble said:

Oh - one more question please. If I return a light to debug mode so that I can reposition it, do I need to set the intensity and other values again?

The debug mat will wipe all your material preferences, so you'll need to do it again. What you can do though, is go to the surfaces tab and copy the material zone. That way you can apply the ghost shader once it's in position, and paste your copied preferences to the material zone once more. That wasn't a great explanation actually, let me know if you want a step by step. That's how i normally get around it.

barbult said:
    marble said:
    marble said:

I thought that, too, but Richard Haseltine said that we were given incorrect info early on. Marble is correct, as I now understand it.

Ahh i knew i got it from somewhere, thanks barbult.

I have been re-applying the mat settings instinctively but just wondered whether I actually need to. Thanks for clearing that up. 

marble said:

I have been re-applying the mat settings instinctively but just wondered whether I actually need to. Thanks for clearing that up. 

Yes i'm afraid so, i tried to get around it but it just ended up causing confusion with the testers. Even with my little work-arounds, it just ended up being easier to copy mat zones.

• Dumb question..   Horizontal object and the Vertical object.   are they the same,  just  turned in the properties ?
    Also.  the red arrow I can pull longer and shorter.  and you also drag it through the object and comes out the other way..   is that just the direction for the light?

AWESOME product btw.

I see that this has normal names for the sliders as well  (up / down)   (forward / backword)    I got lost with those other names all the time..

(Unless they changed that in the latest Daz version.)

BTW, here's a render of a room that used to take hours but this was stopped at 90% in 4 minutes. Two Ghost Lights (one in the bay window area and one on the ceiling).

Cosy Room.png
    1600 x 1280 - 4M