My WIPS, renders and animations :)

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,040
    edited January 2017

Some work done on the scarf to fit it closer to the neck and Iray skin added to Genesis 3. Rendered in 52 mins Cpu only in Iray.

Click on image for full size.

traveler-002.jpg
    1496 x 997 - 757K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
    edited February 2017

Well, after two weeks in the sun I'm back and I have put some hair on the traveler and then had some fun with the materials.

traveler-003.jpg
    1496 x 997 - 926K
    traveler-004.jpg
    1496 x 997 - 786K
  • Nice images.  I really like the one with the fox in it.  Good to see you back.  :)

edited February 2017

Two weeks in the sun, when you live in Scotland, at this time of year works wonders :)

My wife thinks the image would look better without the fox :)

Some problems with the traveler. I turned the dome with the same HDRI in it and the hair skull cap and the beard are showing up in the render. I have just noticed it is also showing up in the first render slightly too so it is the change in HDRI that is causing it. Some work to be done methinks :)

traveler-005.jpg
    1496 x 997 - 901K
    traveler-006.jpg
    1496 x 997 - 886K
  • Weird.  I've never seen that before.  Did you try a different HDRI to see if you had the same problem?

• Sunset sail is incredible.

avxp said:

Sunset sail is incredible.

Thank you. My wife likes that one :)

Weird.  I've never seen that before.  Did you try a different HDRI to see if you had the same problem?

If you look at the harbour one really closely there is a hint of the same thing happening, or I am just seeing it because I have been looking at the problem for two days :)

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I like the fox in it too but your wife trumps us anyway lol.

That is rather weird that it would show up like that. (the scruff not the fox).  There is just a very faint hint in the one where he is bald.

edited February 2017

It seems to occur with the light direction. Turning the dome so that the light from the HDRI is shining on the surfaces facing the camera, rather from behind, then the lines show up.

traveler-008.jpg
    1496 x 997 - 714K
    traveler-009.jpg
    1496 x 997 - 641K
    edited February 2017

@Ice Dragon Art

What you are seeing in the baldy man shot seems to be the skin shading. He looks as if he has been sunbathing with a mask and nose cover on :) You can see it in this render.

traveler-010.jpg
    1496 x 997 - 595K
    edited February 2017

A quick render of Merlin's Angkor Wat Temple with Tiger and Fiber Hair. Rendered in Iray, 20 hours CPU only, everything converted with Iray Uber Base.

(Quick as in didn't spend much time on setting it up)

angkor-wat-tiger-001.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • Love the tiger image!  That's very nice!  :)

As for the weird thing with the skin, you might consider opening a ticket.  It's possibly a bug that could be fixed.  I would include your pictures and explain the problem.

@Knittingmommy

I don't think it is the skin, other than the shading around the eyes. The hair cap and face cap for the beard are darkening the skin layer underneath them. Darkening the skin makes these areas darker too.

• Fishtales said:

@Knittingmommy

I don't think it is the skin, other than the shading around the eyes. The hair cap and face cap for the beard are darkening the skin layer underneath them. Darkening the skin makes these areas darker too.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I meant open a ticket about the hair cap and face cap affecting the skin.  Just got up so I'm barely moving about yet.  :)  I am curious, though, if changing the opacity for the scull cap and the beard cap eliminate the problem.  Have you tried that?  Usually, they aren't really needed to be visible.  Does changing the opacity on those to zero help any?

Tried all of that and more :)

Some nearly work others were impractical, scaling them down, moving them up/down/back; changed the opacity, tried changing the SSS skin settings. I tend not to get bogged down too long on things and will return to the render and try some more different ideas at some point. Two daughters and five grandchildren that don't appear to have homes of their own tend to get in the way :)

• Fishtales said:

Tried all of that and more :)

Some nearly work others were impractical, scaling them down, moving them up/down/back; changed the opacity, tried changing the SSS skin settings. I tend not to get bogged down too long on things and will return to the render and try some more different ideas at some point. Two daughters and five grandchildren that don't appear to have homes of their own tend to get in the way :)

Ah, but you love them anyway!! ;)  I understand.  No grandkids, yet, as mine are all in their teens.  But, I get the chaos part and getting in the way. :)

edited February 2017

A few days worth of work on this. A 24 hour render and only 80% done. It is still a WIP as I don't feel it is finished yet but I thought I would stop it and show it anyway :)

tavern-005.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Love that you put a dog in the tavern!  And god lights are a great touch on the tiger

@Ice Dragon Art

Thank you. There are two in the image, Wolf by AM one with fur and one without :)

The god rays come with Angkor Wat Temple.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

You do really amazing renders Fishtales!!!

I really love the tavern one though I love any renders with animals!!

You do really amazing renders Fishtales!!!

I really love the tavern one though I love any renders with animals!!

Thank you.

I'm redoing the tavern just now, 24 hours and only 55% done, as I redid the white wolf fur. The scene itself isn't finished yet as I have thought of a few other things to add :)

edited February 2017

I got fed up waiting on this so stopped it at 85% and 40 hours rendering, CPU only :)

This has the fur added to the wolf on the right and not in the previous render as I stated blush

tavern-006.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • I like the slightly brighter lighting.  Thank goodness that poor pup got some fur!!!  It looks cold out there!  ;)

Thank you. All I did was lower the F Stop from 5.6 to 4.8 all the lighting is the same.

• I like the slightly brighter lighting.  Thank goodness that poor pup got some fur!!!  It looks cold out there!  ;)

Fishtales said:

Thank you. All I did was lower the F Stop from 5.6 to 4.8 all the lighting is the same.

Yeah, I've done that, too.  It's amazing how much light you can add when you start messing with the F/Stop and the ISO settings in the Tone Mapping in Iray, too.  I don't usually do it on the camera, but I'm guessing that's where you have to change it for 3Delight.  Is there a way to change ISO settings in 3Delight?  That's one of the settings I use in Iray, but I don't recall seeing that anywhere when I'm trying to use 3Delight.

Changing the settings in the camera in Iray sets the DOF I don't know what the settings would be in 3Delight as I haven't used it for a long while now.

• Fishtales said:

Changing the settings in the camera in Iray sets the DOF I don't know what the settings would be in 3Delight as I haven't used it for a long while now.

Ah, okay.  I wondered.  I usually only change the Focal Distance when I'm using DOF.  I don't think I've changed the F/Stop in the camera when using that.  I'm still not all that great at using DOF.  If my figure is already in the box, I don't usually mess with it too much because I have no idea what I'm doing with it.  I may have to fiddle with that and figure out exactly what it does do.  I guess I thought they did basically the same thing as in the Tone Mapping tab since the name was the same.  Guess not.  I love being able to change the tone mapping settings in Iray.  One of the things that frustrates me when I try to do 3Delight is that I don't know where everything is.  Iray seems much more logical to me which is weird because I'm not a very logical type of person!

@Knittingmommy

If you haven't seen this then it might be useful.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/camera/camera_dof

(It can be downloaded as a .pdf and read offline or on a tablet while you work in Studio)

The F Stop determines the amount of the image in focus. The smaller the F Stop, say 2.8, the larger the aperure so there is less of the image that is in the sharp area; the larger the F Stop, say 22, the smaller the aperture so there is more of the image in the sharp area. With the 2.8 setting that could be mm and with the 22 it could be to infinity. There are other facrors that come into play too like the Focal Length of the lens used.

You can see how narrow the DOF can be on some of these close-up images on my website. Some are taken with a 300mm lens and others with a 55mm lens with a macro filter.

http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/gallery/flies/naturals/naturals.php

• So, basically, if I adjust the f/stop, I can make things fuzzier in the background by quite a bit more than the default.  Good to know.  I hadn't found that particular document so I saved it.  Thanks.  I'll have to read through it again when I'm able to actually play with the camera.  I'm rendering right now but it's almost done.  I'm still just sort of waking up at the moment.

Did you photograph all of those insects on your web page?  That was some impressive work.  I guess it sort of makes sense that someone who ties their own flies would be interested in bugs, though.  I just spent some time on your YouTube channel.  I couldn't get the videos on your website to load.  I just kept getting that spinning busy thingie.  I guess the internet over here isn't quite awake either.  You have some really beautiful country to fish in over there.  I started watching the "What have you tied today?" video.  Those flies that everyone submitted to that thread were amazingly life-like.  I'll have to try and watch some more of it sometime in the future.

In all, I think I ended up spending about half an hour reading the articles on your site.  Very cool place to visit.  :)