TWIST and SHOUT

edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

When I have compound Tubbing, Cables, piping, cables and the like, I like to use SWEEP line in the surface model with a path/line and a circle at 10 segments. ALmost every time it TWISTS the Circle in certain areas. Usually not too bad but sometime pretty bad. I have to manually ROTATE the cross sections to be inline with the majority of the rest.

IS there any answer to this? SEE IMAGINES

The first one shows some of the twisted cross section the last is corrected and smoothed

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

More segments

• edited December 1969

Interesting.

The one saving grace of this new website is that we can now upload HXN files. So with regards to the top picture with the circled errors, can you isolate the line and the circle you swept it with (get rid of the rest of your model), save those 2 items as an HXN file and upload it here as an attachment for us to play with?

• Design AcrobatDesign Acrobat Posts: 459
    edited June 2012

Why not use an interpolated line and then add thickness.

You can use two or more views to make sure the start and end are where you want, then soft selection to move more precisely.

bentpipe.jpg
    640 x 431 - 44K
    Post edited by Design Acrobat on
  • stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 514
    edited December 1969

ALmost every time it TWISTS the Circle in certain areas. Usually not too bad but sometime pretty bad.

By default, Hexagon makes an "Irregular sweep" which can cause those twists. When you make the sweep, look at the right hand properties window and change the sweep to "Regular sweep".

You could also use (surfaces tab) the "Thickness" tool on the curve instead of the sweep tool.

• edited December 1969

By default, Hexagon makes an "Irregular sweep" which can cause those twists. When you make the sweep, look at the right hand properties window and change the sweep to "Regular sweep"

That's correct, but once again 2.5.1.79 brings along another quirk with that.

Once selected, "regular sweep" becomes the default during that session (closing hexagon and running it later re-defaults to irregular again). Unfortunately, even though the icon is selcted, it doesn't perform the "regular" sweep, it still does an "irregular" sweep. I have to click one of the icons on either side of the regular sweep and then re-select the regular sweep to get hexagon's attention.

Then it works fine. :)
  • edited December 1969

I just tried what you suggested and I love it! Thanks guys

• edited December 1969

This is why I love the forums I learn stuff I never even would of considered! The interpolated curve and add thickness is SWEEET! THANKS AGAIN!

THE more I use HEx the more I fall in love with it

• hiker_1hiker_1 Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

A couple of semi-off topoic anecdotes about F-4 ejection seats.

As an occupational hazard during my time in service, I had to fly in F-4's sometimes, and thus had to go to ejection school, along with riding the centrafuge.

For those of you unaware, the two loops at the top are handles that you pull to eject. There is another set (not shown on the model yet) below the cushion, between your legs. Beneath the seat cushion, is a rocket motor that literally blasts you out of the cockpit, seat and all.

We were told in school to always use the upper handles first, since they also pulled a protective mask over your face and head. However, it you could not reach them for any reason, or they were inoperative, then you should use the lower set, conviently placed so that you could reach down and kiss your a** goodbye as you pulled the handles.

Right behind those upper handles is a 90mm canon shell which fires your parachute canopy out ahead of you.

Once upon a time, we had a field maintenance guy working on the mechanism behind the seat (but not the canon thingy), and for ease of access he was perched behind the seat with a leg on either side of the cockpit, facing forward. He was 'scooted' up close to the seat, and apparently did something he shouldn't and the shell fired, sending the parachute exploding upward in a ball of flame with about an inch of clearance between his legs and crotch. The parachute went through the open canopy above him, and through through hangar roof.

I got called out to the incident and arrived about five minutes after it happened. The maintenance guy was in total shock, frozen rigedly, still in position straddling the cockpit behind the seat. And when i say rigidly frozen, he was. He would not speak or move and his joints seemed locked in place. The medics had to get several helpers and remove him, in crouched position, from the cockpit and down to the waiting ambulance. (The guy suffered some bad burns from the 'exhaust' of the shell in addition to shock)

Always double check your safety pins kids!

Post edited by hiker_1 on
  • edited December 1969

Well I guess that guy who set off the ejection seat is a congressman today! I wasn't going to post my Martin Baker seat till it was done and shaded but here it is so far. Still a lot of work! I have spent more time on the seat than the rest of the F4 and I still have to make a pilot or 2 and the cockpit.

I have learned a lot on this! I thought that horsehoe shaped object behind the pilots head is not a great head Cushion or rest but a fiberglass box for the main chute. Also I read that if you ever have to eject in combat your careers usually over because your gunna get some serious back injuries and a couple of inches shorter. So now your qualified to be a Sub man.

One animation I wish to do is the dogfight which produced the first Missile ace of Vietnam Randal 'Duke Cunningham flying a F4-j named SHOWTIME 100. I wanted to contact DUKE as hes one of my heros and pick his brain about his ride. I Knew he had become a congressman a while back so went looking for his Contact Info! Well I found him! Doing 5-7 years in a federal Prison in Arizona! ROFL!

Dont all congressmen end up in prison if not they should.

I was doing some animation work for the US Air Force in San Antonio on Randolph AFB. They had me doing to lesson supports at the time One How to recover from a spin in the NOW retired T34 TWEET and how to Jettison the canopy using the Pneumatic piston ejection thingy! I couldn't help but noticed that the Handle you pull to pop the canopy off was very near another important level I cant recall now but something like the flaps settings wheel/lever. I asked my Tech guy wasnt that an issue with students accidentally popping the canopy by accident and he said they do it all the time sitting on the tarmac setting up to take off! NOW thats a bad day! POP! OH well back to the hanger!

Also while doing my lesson plan on how to recover the TWEET from a spin I asked another TECH what do you do when you get a High Priced high performance ship like a f-15 or f-18... HEs said you step on out of it! I said WHAT? You don't even try! You Eject out of a 100 million dollar plane He said YUP! Told me once you get one of those in a spin it's almost impossible to recover! One would think for another 10 MILL they could put a spin chute or something or a big rubber chicken!

And speaking of ejection, From what I can see at least about the Martin Baker Mk7 seat is it AINT BUILT for comfort at all! One would think they could soften the thing up and conture the things if your gunna fly half way around the globe sometimes sitting in the damn thing for 20 hours! Looks like it would be like sitting on a bag full of door knobs to me!

esgang.jpg
    465 x 600 - 163K
  • edited December 1969

Also I noticed that under the MB Mk7 seat is a dozen or so ROCKET ENGINES that I assume ignite to pus the seat somewhere after you get out! MAN if a MIG or ground fire exploding rounds got into that mess! WOOOW ! Pour on the BBQ Sauce! Cook you alive in the cockpit real quick! Nice to know when AAA is popping off all around you your sitting on and surrounded by high explosives and ROCKET engines!

edited December 1969

The thing about ejecting in combat refers to if you're injured and ride the seat down. Normally, you're supposed to separate yourself from the seat immediately if possible. There are two clips on the shoulder harness that will separate you, you just reach up pull them. The parachute is attached to you, not the seat. The restraint system attaches you to the seat, so that you and the chute can seperate.

Landing in the seat would possibly cause a spine compression when you hit. The chute would be holding you more or less upright, so you'd hit right on your spine as you sit.

However, being strapped in the seat also gives the capability of a ground zero eject. Say the aircraft catches on fire, better to eject and risk back injury rather than sit there and burn with the aircraft.

And those rocket motors in the seat are what gets you out of the aircraft. After the canopy is jettisoned, they literally blow you out of the cockpit. So you don't have to worry about them as you come down. Even if you're still in the seat, the rockets are burned out after just a few seconds. That's also the reason for the canon shell on the parachute-- it gets the chut up and deploying before it can get tangeled in either the aircraft or your seat.

The seats are weird things, and a friend of mine got killed in his. He had just landed and as usual opened the canopy whle they taxied in-- the cockpit a/c does not work on the ground. However, as the canopy opened, his seat (but not the guy in fronts') fired him out of the cockpit. Unfortunately, against policy, he had already uncoupled from the seat harness to be more comfortable.

The seat went about 500 feet in the air with him in it, but reached the top of the arc, shifted, and dumped him out. He fell to his death on the concrete below, and the seat came down on the roof of a maintenance hangar.

Later inhvestigation showed that like most pilots/wo's, he carried a non-standard flashlight in his bag rather than the penlight that was issued. The accident investigation concluded that the larger, non-standard flashlight fell from his bag during a manoever and jammed behind the seat. When the canopy opened, it jammed the flashlight into the firing mechinism, ejecting him.

BTW - if Duke Cunningham is not available (although he might enjoy getting some mail!), you might want to try to run down Jeffery Feinstein. Cunningham was the last Navy Ace of the war, and Feinstein was the last Air Force one, and the last U.S. Ace period.

I was in the same unit with Feinstein in Japan and Korea before he went to Thailand and became famous and a war hero-- the AF Cross, Legion of Merit, 4 Silver Stars and a whole pocketfull of DFC's and air medals.

• edited December 1969

Well thanks for your info! I have had enough of the damn seat! I sort of did not plan out my F4 well enough and have to sort of rework the canopy area. The f4 is one compound complicated mother to model and if you dont get it right it just don't look right. Even on of my 3d heros did an F4 I would not of been happy with.

ONE huge pain as with most modern JETS is the front windshield. Its not like this any long like the f-16 and f-15 on up as the plexiglass is a smooth bubble BUT if you look at the F4, f-14 the front glass is FLAT where the pilot looks through and his HUD. TO pull that off right and have the FRAME and the glass right is very hard to pull; off

plane.jpg
    600 x 366 - 128K
    edited December 1969

use the line break tool to keep the flat spot from smoothing....