May a stupid question - textures and primitives

cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609

Hi there,

may it is a stupid question but I have no clue.

The issue:

I create a cylinder for example and want it to look like a wooden stake. I can appley wood texture, sure but is it possible in ds4.5 to "say" that this cylinder has 3 different surface areas? One for the stake and two for the ends so I can add other textures on the ends?

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 2012

Ok you want to apply a wood texture to a primitive Cylinder but it gets all messed up I take it?

Ok grab the Polygon Group Editor Tool from the Tool menu or Alt+Shift+G

Select all the polys on one end of the cylinder...This is how: Select one poly by clicking the tool on the end then hold Ctrl down and select all the other polygon until all the end is selected.

Right click and choose Polygon Assignment > Create Surface from Selected

Give the new surface a name. You will then see a new material zone in the surfaces pane.

If you want to see what the Uvmapping is like select all the surfaces and go in to UVView mode. this will show the uvmapping.

Hope this is what you wanted.

UVView.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 615K
    polygrouptool3.jpg
    1034 x 797 - 319K
    polygrouptool2.jpg
    458 x 689 - 160K
    polygrouptool.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 679K
    Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Then repeat for the other end

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Then repeat for the other end

very cool mr. szark, that was exactly what I meant. As I have said many times before, I am just a beginner and may have no idea of what ds can

edited December 1969

Hey no problem cosmo we were all beginners at one stage. This new tool is one of my favourite tools now in DS4.5. Great for making holes in things too. :)

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Hey no problem cosmo we were all beginners at one stage. This new tool is one of my favourite tools now in DS4.5. Great for making holes in things too. :)

It woooooorks and you get 1000 hugs :)

ah a new tool, so not in ds3? aha one reason I didn`t know that :)

edited December 1969

hugs.............arrrr runs for the door. LOL

Yes new tool and not in DS3 and not in DS4 either I think from memory.

It has been a good day for helping people today, I have had a good run.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    hugs.............arrrr runs for the door. LOL

Yes new tool and not in DS3 and not in DS4 either I think from memory.

you get a special extra drink on New Year's Eve :)

edited December 1969

what else can I do with poly group thing? If I can choose a poly, can I parent something to it? like for example a piercing or so?

edited December 2012

that is really cool - here is an example made in 5 minutes :)

poly_test.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 158K
    Post edited by cosmo71 on
    edited December 1969

cosmo71 said:
    what else can I do with poly group thing? If I can choose a poly, can I parent something to it? like for example a piercing or so?
    No you can only Parent to an object not a surface.

I see you are having fun....niceeeeeee!

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Is it possible to save and apply the UV view as a Diffuse texture map?

edited December 1969

I don't understand what you mean.

Or do I...do you mean can you apply a uvmap as a diffuse map? To what end a wireframe look?

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    I don't understand what you mean.

Or do I...do you mean can you apply a uvmap as a diffuse map? To what end a wireframe look?

If this can be done (I don't know if it can) it would by default be useful as a texture template, and after painting onto it, as a texture.
    edited December 1969

Oh you mean export the uvmap to Gimp/Photoshop etc etc....To make new texture maps?

I am not sure if it can be done from Daz Studio at this moment. What I do is save (export) the object out as an obj, take that into Blender and export the uvmap from Blender. Then I have my template if one is not provided by the vendor or if it is a freebie.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    cosmo71 said:

that would be a great step forward, if it would be possible to parent items to single mesh areas. I mean, if you can hide a single mesh area or change the color of it, then it says that the software knows single areas so it should be not a problem to parent things to these areas.

• zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

cosmo71 said:
    Szark said:
    cosmo71 said:

that would be a great step forward, if it would be possible to parent items to single mesh areas. I mean, if you can hide a single mesh area or change the color of it, then it says that the software knows single areas so it should be not a problem to parent things to these areas.

when I am looking to group items that I cannot parent to each other I just create a null and parent the items to the null, then I can move or size the null and affect both items as one; of course, depending upon the items sometimes I have to tweak the individual ones within the null after adjusting the null

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited January 2013

I was looking at this thread to see if I could achieve what I wanted but have hit a bit of a block. The idea is to create a tiled floor. I have some wood grain image tiles so I created an 18m plane primitive. I used the method here to apply the texture to the plane but the whole thing became one stretched single tile image. So I created another plane - this time with 18x18 divisions. Now I selected all of those polygons and applied the wood grain image - it still covered the whole surface with a single stretched image tile.

Post edited by marble on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Try changing the tiling in the Surfaces tab, - near the bottom of the list you'll see Horizontal and Vertical Tiling. The higher the number the smaller the image will get. Image should be seamless for best results.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    edited December 1969

Thanks - I had noticed those sliders but didn't know what they did. I'll give it a try first chance I get.

• GuptatsgGuptatsg Posts: 51
    edited December 1969

hai szark

one more stupid question ;-(

how to delete selected polygon ( after selecting more polygons, after that I want to deselect few polygons which i don't want)

thanks

regards

• zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

Not a stupid question. I would like to know this answer also.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

sorry,,, I am not szark:-P

Holding Alt key + select sufaces delete your selection.
    Holding Ctrl key + select sufaces add your selection.
    (sorry,,I do not know about mac key bord)

it work by selection tool (drag, rectangle, rasso)
    you can use selection tool, in 3d view right click
    Poligon selection>modo>Rasso etc

deletepolgon.JPG
    941 x 422 - 90K
  • GuptatsgGuptatsg Posts: 51
    edited December 1969

hai kitakoredaz,

thank for UR reply.

best regards

• his xhis x Posts: 866
    edited July 2015

Szark said:

Better than you know. I've been looking for this answer for a long time. I just found your answer. I got it to work, no problem, and I couldn't be more satisfied with the results. Thanks, man.

Post edited by his x on
    edited December 1969

my pleasure Rottenham