Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Creature Creator for G3F.  I used Willow.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Poor Willow!  Great lighting!

Thank you!

I mentioned books being too standard and boring- this is in the featured stores for 60% if you buy two of the new releases. (Or wishlist it if you want more books to get a variety.) 

I have a question on the Iray Nobiax shaders. I put the Supporting Textures in the same folder as the shaders (which appears to be the right thing to do?) and wondered what TARGA stands for?

Second question- is there a way to combine two shaders- aka, if I have a shader that has a geometric pattern, and I want to use a cloth shader to turn it into a rug, what maps would go where to keep the geometric pattern but give it cloth properties/print too? I am not good with maps. When I learn something, I forget it if I don't use it often, such is the case with maps.

• Novica said:

I have a question on the Iray Nobiax shaders. I put the Supporting Textures in the same folder as the shaders (which appears to be the right thing to do?) and wondered what TARGA stands for?

TARGA is an image format - it may be an acronym, but the main thing that matters is that it is something of a standard for high-bit-depth images.

Novica said:

Second question- is there a way to combine two shaders- aka, if I have a shader that has a geometric pattern, and I want to use a cloth shader to turn it into a rug, what maps would go where to keep the geometric pattern but give it cloth properties/print too? I am not good with maps. When I learn something, I forget it if I don't use it often, such is the case with maps.

If you want to literally combine shaders that would require both be in Shader Mixer, so that you can paste the shaders into a single new sahder and combine the outputs as desired with layer mix or similar bricks. You may also be able to handle certain cases by layering two images on top of each other in LIE (or an imaeg editor) with different blend modes.

Thanks Richard!  I may try that on another day. I'm just relaxing today and doing Zbrush- after 36 hours of watching tornadoes rolling by and through (FIVE spinning cells at once this morning to the west, north, northeast of Pensacola) I'm just kicking back and enjoying the now-sunny day. I've never done Shader-Mixer and LIE has been ages.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,316
    edited January 2017
    Novica said:

Probably more than you wanted to know about the TARGA image format: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truevision_TGA

Post edited by Charlie Judge on

@charliejudge  Well, "and are often used in character generator programs such as Avid Deko" caught my attention so once I read about TARGA I got sidetracked from there.  All your fault Charlie! 

edited January 2017

OH WOW. I've read about this, but never experienced it.
    We've had tornadoes in the area yesterday, today severe storms rolled through and then it's been sunny all afternoon. On radar, a few rain areas, nothing drastic. So imagine my surprise to have MY HOUSE SHUDDER and the sound of a rumbling with a combination riverberation filling the sky.  I thought "Tornado?" but it stopped after two almost-instantaneous booms.

A paper mill about 40 minutes away in driving time had an explosion!  Can you imagine what the homes around it went through?  I called my neighbor and she was like, "What was THAT???" They just posted it in the online newspaper. Wow, to hear and feel an industrial structural explosion was really- different. Think of thunder and distant artillery combined.

Post edited by Novica on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    Novica said:

OH WOW. I've read about this, but never experienced it.
    We've had tornadoes in the area yesterday, today severe storms rolled through and then it's been sunny all afternoon. On radar, a few rain areas, nothing drastic. So imagine my surprise to have MY HOUSE SHUDDER and the sound of a rumbling combination riverberation fill the sky.  I thought "Tornado?" but it stopped after two almost-instantaneous booms.

A paper mill about 40 minutes away in driving time had an explosion!  Can you imagine what the homes around it went through?  I called my neighbor and she was like, "What was THAT???" They just posted it in the online newspaper. Wow, to hear and feel an industrial structural explosion was really- different. Think of thunder and distant artillery combined.

That must have been a huge explosion. Hope no one was killed in it. 

edited January 2017
    RGcincy said:

That must have been a huge explosion. Hope no one was killed in it. 

News coming in now- no deaths or injuries- amazing!  Chemicals all over the road, it was the Power House so not a place the employees were located- thank goodness!  Three floors of the structure are severely damaged/gone. No images yet, they just wanted to get the news out that there is black ash that isn't harmful and  no one hurt. Unreal, considering that blast must've sprayed building parts outward into the compound with high velocity. Employees must have been inside the other buildings.

Post edited by Novica on

Great news that no one was hurt

That's good news.

edited January 2017

I had other reasons to go through my content catalog, and as I did so, I ran across some books. You may have mentioned some of these already.

The books on the back left and right front are from Treasury of Books. There's many, many more. They load as sets (I have 5 sets shown on the table) but you can choose and move individual books. They have a classic book like construction, have readable titles, and look good for closeups (see image below). I didn't spot any open books right off.

The books on the left front are from Work Desk Set. They are a little more modern looking and are a type of soft cover-text book. They aren't very good for close-ups as they have just a boxy construction. There are three groups and the individual books cannot be chosen.

The books on the back right are from Studio Paris. They rendered very dark in Iray so would need some work to bring out the color variation in the covers. There is one open book and two groups, and you cannot choose individual books.

Books.png
    1000 x 700 - 1M
    Books TB.png
    500 x 350 - 356K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
    edited January 2017

Good morning! 5:25am.

Thanks for showing the books Rich! There was a bedroom set that I showed the books, I'll have to see which one it was. Aha, i13 New Visions Bedroom. Those covers are funny too. You know you've been doing this too long when you can remember the vendor.

Looking through some sets, Dean's Office has a humorous group- the numbers are out of order on purpose. Second shelf on the left.
    Modern Office has magazines, stacks of magazines, an open magazine, etc.

I'm going to put your post in the References so folks can find it easily. I'll mention again Opus Magnum so everything's in one place. Here's my post showing those books, on the previous page.  (Vendors, if you have a product with books, or anyone else wants to add to the list, feel free to do so. I am working on Zbrush and have to get started.)

Post edited by Novica on
    edited January 2017

Flash sale- Flipmode and Stonemason. While I would love to get the Winter Castle, Mayan Ruins, etc, I just don't need them anytime soon. How long do the Flash Sales last compared to the Blink Sales- when did these get put on the scrolling banner? It's 10:30ish right now and I just saw them, how long have they been up?  A couple hours I presume. IIRC, most of the time Flash pop up around 8pm (Central) or a bit earlier. Never got the hang of the Blink sales, they came and went and I saw comments about them but didn't see several of the vendors referenced as they'd already been changed.

Post edited by Novica on

I think they've been on since late afternoon.

Well, at least I was only tempted the past hour, instead of all day LOL. 

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186

Hi all,

Has anyone picked up this set and used it yet?  https://www.daz3d.com/the-resort-pool  I am looking at grabbing ti but I haven't seen it in any renders where I could ask someone about it. Since you gals and guys do a lot of reviews I thought I would ask you first. 

Yes, it's been showcased in either this thread or the previous one. (I have it.) It's a nice large set, with a lot of opportunities to place folks. I remember having a positive feeling about it. I'll go see if I can find the render, or quickly load it up for you since I have a  fast computer. Back in a bit.

Novica said:

Yes, it's been showcased in either this thread or the previous one. (I have it.) It's a nice large set, with a lot of opportunities to place folks. I remember having a positive feeling about it. I'll go see if I can find the render, or quickly load it up for you since I have a  fast computer. Back in a bit.

WOW I didn't mean for you to do all of that Novica! I thank you for going out of your way like this. I have had the set in my wishlist for a while and I am finally getting around to looking at it seriouosly if I want to grab it or not. I know that all of you do great reviews and give honest feedback on the use of the item. 

edited January 2017

Yes, it's a very nice set. The water looks like water (not dark or oily, or milky pale and opague) and I'm showing you with just the default Iray lights. The background isn't included. It was at 47% at 2 minutes, moving right along.  67% at 5 minutes 30 secs.   77% at 7 minutes.  90% at 10:30 and stopped it, you get the idea.

So it moves right along in render time, even though the set is large. You have SO many angles and scenes to shoot with this setup. I did NOT take anything out of the scene, even if not shown, to get an idea of how slower computers would handle this. I think those folks will do just fine when adding characters (probably multiple) if you take props out that aren't shown. There's a lot of trees, hedges, chairs, etc that you can take out.

Shooting another angle (backed up and turned to show you more of the entire set) and will post in about 10 minutes.

resortpool.png
    600 x 486 - 580K
    Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

Yes, it's a very nice set. The water looks like water (not dark or oily, or milky pale and opague) and I'm showing you with just the default Iray lights. The background isn't included. It was at 47% at 2 minutes, moving right along. Will have the images here in about 10 minutes.

WOW Thank you very much, the background won't be an issue, I have plenty of skydomes or background images if its needed. 

My pleasure!  How are things going overseas?

Novica said:

My pleasure!  How are things going overseas?

Pretty quiet right now. It looks like you all have it worse than we do right now. With all the things in D.C. and the storms in Florida. Glad to hear that you made it through that mess. We are hoping that the rain scheduled for later in the week here misses us since it turns this palce into a mud pit. 

BTW if anyone has any spare high speed internet ... we could sure use it over here laugh We aren't much better than dial up right nwo. 

edited January 2017

LOL, I'd send you some of mine but knowing the provider, they'd charge me outrageous fees to send it over. 

Yeah, there were FORTY ONE tornadoes, unreal. Makes me worry about the spring and upcoming hurricane season. 

Here's the second render.  These are tinged blue due to the default lights, with some of the other sets that will change. I think I used Dumor's apocalyptic lights when I did it previously. (In other words, these are quickies and the set really does look even better with custom lighting.) 

resortpool2.png
    600 x 486 - 594K
    Post edited by Novica on

I'm putting a character in the scene and doing Skies of iRadiance, that way folks can see how huge the set is. Back in a few, setting it up now.

edited January 2017

So here's a better idea of the size of the set. I checked on the groupings of the props, they are very well organized and grouped logically IMO, with great attention to detail in the groupings. 

70% at 2:38 seconds. Pool has wonderful refraction btw. That's FWSA Piper HD (V7)  with Geneva Hair, H&C Bikini Set  (Gen3F) 

resortpool4.png
    600 x 486 - 515K
    Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

LOL, I'd send you some of mine but knowing the provider, they'd charge me outrageous fees to send it over. 

Yeah, there were FORTY ONE tornadoes, unreal. Makes me worry about the spring and upcoming hurricane season. 

Here's the second render.  These are tinged blue due to the default lights, with some of the other sets that will change. I think I used Dumor's apocalyptic lights when I did it previously. (In other words, these are quickies and the set really does look even better with custom lighting.) 

Things are expensive as it is so we can't have that. Thanks for the image it looks amazing, you really should ask for a commision of the PA's sales for items people buy after stopping by here. You just sold me on this set, I am picking it up as we speak right now.

This discussion has been closed.