Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,129

Do the expressions have sliders to adjust the percentage, or are they just presets to click on?

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    barbult said:

Do the expressions have sliders to adjust the percentage, or are they just presets to click on?

I haven't tried these yet, but they usually make presets. 

I have so many expression sets, which are hard to remove onece applied, that I spend way too much time hunting out the offending dials. So I do like the fact expression sets I can use, and remove quickly are available.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

For expressions (and scoop this up, trust me) I also recommend the Dreamers. It's by Zeddicuss (enough said.)  It's 51% off right now, use your PC code and you can scoop it up for A DOLLAR FIFTY FOUR CENTS. ($1.54)  And yes, it's SLIDERS too. Lovely arch of the eyebrows, eyes squinting, mouth pulling left, right, up, down but no puckering- and all can be used/contribute with the sliders. (I just tested.)  I'll post some for you in a few.  

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Thank you for doing the poses.  I have been passing more and more on poses and looking very hard for the ones that I can adapt myself.  I do wish there were more weapons poses, especially for spears, axes and maces.  I have been converting a lot of poses as well instead of buying new ones.  I will say that i13 has a some very good, comprehensive pose sets that include full body, and then breaks them down to upper and lower body and in many sets, arms, legs, head and neck.  Very comprehensive.

edited January 2017

Here's Dreamers, most at 60%, and no mixing (which is where you really get a wide range.)  And it's actually fun to pull the sliders (in Parameters) and there's images of each expression there. Love working with these. All are not shown, there's 25.

expdreamer1.png
    400 x 470 - 156K
    expdreamer2.png
    400 x 470 - 156K
    expdreamer3.png
    400 x 470 - 155K
    expdreamer4.png
    400 x 470 - 154K
    expdreamer5.png
    400 x 470 - 155K
    expdreamer6.png
    400 x 470 - 156K
    expdreamer7.png
    400 x 470 - 155K
    expdreamer8.png
    400 x 470 - 155K
    expdreamer9.png
    400 x 470 - 155K
    expdreamer10.png
    400 x 470 - 154K
    expdreamer11.png
    400 x 470 - 154K
    expdreamer12.png
    400 x 470 - 155K
    expdreamer13.png
    400 x 470 - 154K
    expdreamer14.png
    400 x 470 - 154K
    expdreamer15.png
    400 x 470 - 155K
    expdreamer16.png
    400 x 470 - 157K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited January 2017

Don't overlook Little One's- works well with adults! On the kiss one, I don't like how the eyes don't close, so I closed them. (fourth one.) Only a few shown.  Also has sliders. (Using Parameters to choose the posing products. Not showing any products who don't have them).

explittleOnes1.png
    400 x 470 - 154K
    explittleOnes2.png
    400 x 470 - 153K
    explittleOnes3.png
    400 x 470 - 155K
    explittleOnes4.png
    400 x 470 - 152K
    explittleOnes5.png
    400 x 470 - 155K
    explittleOnes6.png
    400 x 470 - 154K
    explittleOnes7.png
    400 x 470 - 155K
    Post edited by Novica on

Counteenance Expressions (Teen Josie/Gen3F) 

Also sliders. Only a few shown.

expTJCount1.png
    400 x 470 - 155K
    expTJCount2.png
    400 x 470 - 153K
    expTJCount3.png
    400 x 470 - 154K
    expTJCount4.png
    400 x 470 - 154K
    expTJCount5.png
    400 x 470 - 154K
    expTJCount6.png
    400 x 470 - 155K
    expTJCount7.png
    400 x 470 - 155K
    expTJCount8.png
    400 x 470 - 154K
    expTJCount9.png
    400 x 470 - 155K
    expTJCount11.png
    400 x 470 - 153K

Z Little Miss

Also with sliders.

BTW- I'm chatting with someone, and I am not discounting poses without sliders, Barbult asked about sliders so I am showing those with it. Also, those show in Paramenters so they're easy to use/show you. I am not spending a lot of time on these (actually done.)

The Counteenance sliders actually have parts of the face broken down.

expLittleMiss1.png
    400 x 470 - 154K
    expLittleMiss2.png
    400 x 470 - 154K
    expLittleMiss3.png
    400 x 470 - 155K
    expLittleMiss4.png
    400 x 470 - 155K
    expLittleMiss5.png
    400 x 470 - 156K
    expLittleMiss6.png
    400 x 470 - 155K
    expLittleMiss7.png
    400 x 470 - 155K
    expLittleMiss8.png
    400 x 470 - 156K
    expLittleMiss9.png
    400 x 470 - 157K

Someone PMd and wanted to know the character. It's Cathy

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,735
    edited January 2017

Weird, I don't see the line on the nose... Maybe it's just in the original texture (that I don't like and don't use) Genevieve is really a chameleon! She changes drastically with each texture! And I figured out that if you make her smile first before other expressions, you can make sure the teeth don't get distorted. This is straight Genevieve with P3D Morgane skin with just longer lashes, larger irises and expressions. Genevieve is definitely my new go-to character!  

Although I LOVE the character, I have to say the default texture was the worst Daz Original texture I've EVER seen, dating back to earlier Victorias pre-Genesis! 

image.jpeg
    1467 x 1774 - 416K
    Post edited by Wonderland on

That's a great combination!   I think to see the notched nose, perhaps we have to have the head raised more for a straight-on view?  I love those skin materials on her.

Novica said:

That's a great combination!   I think to see the notched nose, perhaps we have to have the head raised more for a straight-on view?  I love those skin materials on her.

Trying that now. She really looks COMPLETELY different depending on skin and expression! 

edited January 2017

I'm rendering on CPU only so it could be a while. So far I don't see a notch. It might have just been built in that awful default texture... She also looks much younger with any other texture!

edited January 2017

Partial render, still no notch on nose. Pretty sure that was baked in the original texture. 

image.jpeg
    1439 x 1769 - 399K
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Wow she really looks different with a different texture! Wonderland, what is it about her skin texture that you don't like? I don't have her, so I've no idea what it is like - just curious what your thoughts are.  

Weird, I don't see the line on the nose... Maybe it's just in the original texture (that I don't like and don't use) Genevieve is really a chameleon! She changes drastically with each texture! And I figured out that if you make her smile first before other expressions, you can make sure the teeth don't get distorted. This is straight Genevieve with P3D Morgane skin with just longer lashes, larger irises and expressions. Genevieve is definitely my new go-to character!  

Although I LOVE the character, I have to say the default texture was the worst Daz Original texture I've EVER seen, dating back to earlier Victorias pre-Genesis! 

edited January 2017

Those look really nice Alicia! Thanks for testing. 

Want to mention an easy to read, easy to follow along tutorial on rigging. DO keep in mind, I'm reading, not doing- yet. I haven't got the figure modeled yet, still working on it in zbrush.   If you want a good PDF guide that is meticulous in detail then The Comprehensive To Rigging Tools in Daz Studio is extremely good IMO. It has nice graphics of the studio settings you'll need to use, and explains WHY you're doing something, not just "do this."  So I haven't used it, but was able to easily follow along (and keep in mind I am SO not technical)  and I had a question on UV Mapping and rigging, and the author answered me within hours. (And he's very helpful over in the Technical Help forum. )Kudos to @ThomasWIndar  on a very detailed and easy to follow tutorial- and thanks so much!  (and thanks to @KindredArts for giving some helpful tips too) 

Post edited by Novica on
  • Novica said:

Those look really nice Alicia! Thanks for testing. 

Want to mention an easy to read, easy to follow along tutorial on rigging. DO keep in mind, I'm reading, not doing- yet. I haven't got the figure modeled yet, still working on it in zbrush.   If you want a good PDF guide that is meticulous in detail then The Comprehensive To Rigging Tools in Daz Studio is extremely good IMO. It has nice graphics of the studio settings you'll need to use, and explains WHY you're doing something, not just "do this."  So I haven't used it, but was able to easily follow along (and keep in mind I am SO not technical)  and I had a question on UV Mapping and rigging, and the author answered me within hours. (And he's very helpful over in the Technical Help forum. )Kudos to @ThomasWIndar  on a very detailed and easy to follow tutorial- and thanks so much!  (and thanks to @KindredArts for giving some helpful tips too) 

Thank you for the kind words.
    I'm glad to hear the guide is helping you out. 

I cannot promise I can answer every question out there - but I'll try to help when possible. 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558

The figure looks nice and like the textures but her eyebrows are too high or her forehead is too low. She looks like she doesn't have enough space on her forhead for her features. 

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806

Two sets in Fast Grab caught my eye: Greek Houses and Peaceful House. Both not only have the houses but lots of props that can be used elsewhere. I have a number of sets by this vendor and have enjoyed their quality. Think I'm going to pick up both.

edited January 2017
    RGcincy said:

Two sets in Fast Grab caught my eye: Greek Houses and Peaceful House. Both not only have the houses but lots of props that can be used elsewhere. I have a number of sets by this vendor and have enjoyed their quality. Think I'm going to pick up both.

I have both but haven't rendered. I think they're kinda neat!

Post edited by Novica on
    edited January 2017

Um, has anyone loaded that set and rendered it? (Greek Houses)   I got a wonky sea, so I uninstalled and installed again. All these files are indeed in the folder. But all I get are the muddy seas out of the box. There's nothing but the choice to load Iray or 3DL, no separate pieces.

• /Runtime/textures/ANSIKO/Greek Houses/GH_landscape.jpg

• /Runtime/textures/ANSIKO/Greek Houses/GH_landscape_BUMP.jpg

• /Runtime/textures/ANSIKO/Greek Houses/GH_landscape_NRM.jpg

• /Runtime/textures/ANSIKO/Greek Houses/GH_landscape_SPEC.jpg

greek houses.png
    1021 x 1200 - 2M
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited January 2017

Looking at the promos, I am just not impressed with the landscape plane by the water's edge, even if it were working right. If you have Alsace, substitute in the water and dirt plane (they are grouped, easy)  and add a wall under the buildings. Remember, you can simply right click on the materials from the Greek Houses and copy, then paste them in the Diffuse of the plane. Do about 20 yards (I did 25 and it was too big) then use vertical and horizontal tiling.  EDIT: Do 25 yards, and use my settings- I gave them to you a few posts down, but they won't work unless you use the 25 yards.

More images coming.

And I also do not like the tiling/look of that stone lip/edge. 

So this is putting on a bigger lip/edge than the original, not being ultra precise here, just showing what would make it look better IMO.

And here is my solution, about the same size as the original lip/edge.

And the last one. I have to say, for this set to look good, that stone needs to be fixed and the landscaping near the edge may not appeal to you.  The buildings look cute and it's a wondeful concept, just be aware you might want to tweak it. Took quite a bit of work when it should be a load and go. 

greek houses3.png
    489 x 571 - 474K
    greek houses4.png
    511 x 600 - 634K
    greek houses5.jpg
    511 x 600 - 265K
    greek houses6.jpg
    511 x 600 - 266K
    greek houses7.png
    511 x 600 - 646K
    Post edited by Novica on

Thanks Novica! Your modifications do make a difference. I went ahead and got both sets as they look interesting enough and I can deal with what you pointed out.

• Thanks for letting us know.  I picked up the Greek one.  I'll try your tweaks.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I liked both of those but had to wishlist.  I am sticking to my reslolution not to buy,  The only things I'm really picking up are one or two of the pc+ club items.  I haven't even used both of my coupons yet.  That's unheard of lol.

edited January 2017

Glad to help. This will save you some time: 

The first plane, 25 yards,  the horizontal tiles are 3.80 and vertical 3.88 (not the offset, left that alone)  and x/y/z are: 554.41 / -69.47 / 334.37 
    The rotations are: X rotate 90   The x / y / z scale is 86.6 / 89.4 / 22.5

The lip/edge plane of 20 yards, tiling was 4.51 and 0.23  for the small lip (didn't keep the big one) and x/y/z are 554.41 / 197.37 / 347.81
    Rotatons; x rotate 90   The x / y / z scale is 87.4 / 89.4 / -1.3 

Post edited by Novica on

Thanks for letting us know.  I picked up the Greek one.  I'll try your tweaks.

The other one, other than Alsace,  that came to mind was Crescent Cove for the water. Have fun! 

edited January 2017

I did change Alsace's color- In Surfaces: the Base was actually purple at 131 / 144 / 228  and the Glossy Color (be careful with this one, it will go blue-blue in a heartbeat! I thought it would be the base, but it's this one)  is 225 / 248 / 255, barely a hint of blue. 

EDIT: The lighting was Dumor's Apocalyptic lights.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited January 2017

Since Novica did Greek Houses, I'm doing Peaceful House which I picked up today. It loads in three parts: house, yard, and furniture. It is large and hard to navigate if you have the textures turned on, so I switched to smooth shaded in the viewport. It's also too large for my GPU (which is only 2GB) so it dropped to CPU rendering but was still relatively fast compared to some Iray scenes. About 12 minutes for a 750 by 600 exterior scene. The first render is with the materials as they come with the set. The yard water texture is odd as it has greenery baked in, as if reflecting the surrounding greenery and the overhead woven shade, but it looks strange from the position I have the camera.

So I did a second render using Lakeside Folly water shader.

What's also odd is the porch floor: I'm not entirely sure what it is suppose to be. I first thought it was just water puddles left after a tropical rain, but with the water shader turned off, it appears to be shallow pool with a very short water fall at the end next to the house. You can see better in the third render which has no water shader (I also stopped this render way short).

This fourth render is a view from within the house. I added one ghost light at the front door. The skydome that is supplying the exterior light (and coming through the window behind the camera) is from High Peaks Skydome and HDRI. This rendered relatively fast too: 16 min 41 sec for the 750 x 600 size.

Peaceful House 1.png
    750 x 600 - 860K
    Peaceful House 2.png
    750 x 600 - 833K
    Peaceful House 3.png
    750 x 600 - 1010K
    Peaceful House 4.png
    750 x 600 - 788K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited January 2017

I'm not sure what it is, but that set really looks like a miniature here. I don't know what kind of lighting, postwork, etc was in the promo renders, but they seem very different. I'm not criticizing the renders, just wondering why the set looks like a toy.

EDIT TO CLARIFY: I mean the Greek Houses set. The Peaceful House set looks fine.

Post edited by Llynara on
This discussion has been closed.