Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287
    Novica said:

Vase Collection for Iray- for all of them.  yes

Thank you. :D That's a cool collection! Wishlisted! :)

• Thanks for doing the render tests!  

I looked at it briefly when the update happened - skin tones looked a little better but I didn't do an exhaustive test.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited January 2017

You're certainly welcome (to both.) 

I am working on the "Boo" Light Presets for Ghost Lights. KindredArts and I are collaborating (and such a fun PA to work with)  I am doing the setup and he's packaging it for you and doing the legwork to get it to you. I am making changes to perfect it and (SO FAR) have added lights-three on the side, tall and thin so they are like panels, which are amazing for being precise on portraits- instead of only one on each side. Then when you have a room, you have three lights for three windows by simply making them wider and translating them apart. 

I am re-doing the groups- you will know exactly where each light is by their name, and they are grouped working from the front (closest to camera) to the back.  All even numbered lights are on our right, all odds on the left. I think you'll love the system and soon will be able to remember what is what. I already know 13-15 is the back wall- well, as it stands before I revamp it, we'll see. But 13-15 would be their own group and labelled something like "Back Wall, Down"   Ceiling lights are "Up"  So you'll know left, right, front/middle/back of room, and ceiling or floor, and they're grouped working from front to back.  yes

Post edited by Novica on
  • KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,228
    Novica said:

(and such a fun PA to work with)  

blush 

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

My goodness, lady, you are busy! I can barely keep up, LOL 

edited January 2017

So I know it's fun to watch things in progress (Darwins Mishap(s) is so generous to do that for the buyers) that I'll show you one of the tests I'm doing when I place these BOO lights for you. This one is number 12 and will be on your right, the furthest back in that trio of three on the side. I'm placing it so it will be a light shining behind the character and also a rim light, but...voila! When you turn your character, you'll get a nice side light on them. 

These are not ISO/ Exposure Value fine tuned, I actually use darker settings so I can see exactly what the lights are doing. 

ghost12light.jpg
    600 x 600 - 249K
    ghost12lightTurn.jpg
    600 x 600 - 259K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited January 2017

Llynara said:

My goodness, lady, you are busy! I can barely keep up, LOL 

Temporary, kiddo. My sons leave on Monday then it's back to Zbrush for awhile. I can do lighting and tests, I can't learn something new when they have company over. And when they come back into town, it's company haven. We have a pool table, ping pong table, air hockey table- so we're the logical hangout. It would be too quiet after they leave except the dogs provide growling and barking when they play. (Thank goodness. They play all the time, otherwise, I'd go nuts. Having TV on isn't the same as living-breathing things expanding energy and providing real-life noises. Love my critters!) 

BTW- how is your sick child doing? (Edit- LOL, don't ask me why my critters reminded me of your child, I think it's because my dogs are also my babies?) 

Back to BOO. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Thank you Novica.  I really like his toothy grin.  He just looks goofy to me in that render.

Looking forward to seeing the set up.  And I agree, Kindred Arts is a great guy! (love your stuff but you already know that lol)

Working on the Carrara challenge tonight. I learned how to model a simple spear, texture it, save it as an object and then replicate it in a scene.  fun times lol. (its only taken like 4 hours lol.  I'm a slow learner sometimes)

Working on the Carrara challenge tonight. I learned how to model a simple spear, texture it, save it as an object and then replicate it in a scene.  fun times lol. (its only taken like 4 hours lol.  I'm a slow learner sometimes)

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing the spear when you use it. 

Kindred Arts is a great guy!

blushblush  - If my ego gets boosted any further, i'm going to run out of emoji's.

Kindred Arts is a great guy!

blushblush  - If my ego gets boosted any further, i'm going to run out of emoji's.

Well you're surrounded by artists who can always draw you some more...

edited January 2017

Oh WHEEEEE!  I've got a treat for you (if you own Ghost Lights.) Took me over an hour, but I have managed to do a shooting up light for you and lookeeeee....you get another light that will 1. act as the black light to take out that plane/ground glare  2. work for a gorgeous surround-figure glow.  (the blue, in this case)  And I got that fade out to work. Sweet. I'll put in the lntensity that works the best as part of the name. Just imagine what you can do with this when you tweak the ISO and Exposure Value, Crush Blacks, etc.

Edit: and another one so you can have some really neat lighting to add as a secondary color. Done in hot fushia so you can see it. Notice there is NO glare of that color on the ground / around the figure. No telltale "didn't want that area lit" problems. 

ghostShootUp.jpg
    600 x 600 - 199K
    ghostShootUp2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 199K
    Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

Oh WHEEEEE!  I've got a treat for you (if you own Ghost Lights.) Took me over an hour, but I have managed to do a shooting up light for you and lookeeeee....you get another light that will 1. act as the black light to take out that plane/ground glare  2. work for a gorgeous surround-figure glow.  (the blue, in this case)  And I got that fade out to work. Sweet. I'll put in the lntensity that works the best as part of the name. Just imagine what you can do with this when you tweak the ISO and Exposure Value, Crush Blacks, etc.

Edit: and another one so you can have some really neat lighting to add as a secondary color. Done in hot fushia so you can see it. Notice there is NO glare of that color on the ground / around the figure. No telltale "didn't want that area lit" problems. 

It's coming along great Novica! I've yet to experiment with coloured lights, i usually just use temperature values. It kind of limits you to red and blue though, so i'll definitely look into this. As i've said elsewhere, i'm going to be crazy busy over the next day or two, but i'll be back and ready to work along-side you in a day or so. Until then, keep the dream alive!

Worked on the lights until 5:30am, going to be waaaaaay better than the original setup I did. I've added four lights around the World Center figure, two more behind them in the ceiling, and two corner lights in the back of the "room."  This is based on a 15 x 15 foot plane, a big room size, so folks can simply pull them in if they are outside the walls when the sets load. And it's got so many portrait combination possibilities it will be quite fun!

I also made three panels (I call them trios) on either side of the figure, instead of just one, so you get precise slivers of lighting. I put a figure at World Center and did various poses to see how the lights did, and then rotated them and tested the best distance between the panels.

There are now TWENTY SEVEN lights instead of thirteen. wink  Tonight I will do a few portrait setups so we can have BOO, BOO 1, BOO 2.  

I'm busy tonight and half the day tomorrow (sons leaving town) but I'll get some portrait setups done and get those to you by Wednesday. I'll share the progress here. Gotta head out! 

edited January 2017

Ever wish lights told you where they were? You'll be able to locate them with ease with BOO. When I do the presets, I'll tell you which direction the lights are coming from.

The grouping will make SENSE. 

If they come from above, you'll know it, they're marked Ceiling.

The left and right are as you LOOK AT IT WHEN IT LOADS FROM THE FRONT.

Post edited by Novica on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

The left and right are as you LOOK AT IT WHEN IT LOADS FROM THE FRONT. YOUR left, your right, not the figure's left and right. Look at the first two group descriptions and these lights to get the hang of it.

Thank you for that!  My left and my right.  The other way drives me straight up a wall lol.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

You really make me want to buy the Ghost Lights product. Great research on the product! 

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335
    Novica said:

Okay, so going to test Cie1964, starting again with Faithful. I'm not going to monitor this minute by minute (I had written down all the iterations, etc) but I'll get the exact time it stops and I will compare iterations as it goes along and see how it does with the Faithful using the other Cie. Back in awhile. (Hopefully this is helping you?) 

IN PROGRESS. Taking 400 less iterations to achieve same percent, same minutes, compared to the cie1931   Now 500 iterations fewer needed.  Holding steady at 16 minutes, still 500 iterations less required, maintaining the same percentage rendered at the same minute. Now starting to even out at 19 minutes, only 200 iterations difference. Now at 21 minutes, 608 iterations less- wow, ping-pong.

End result: exact same amount of time: 24:30. Iterations almost 500 less (492) to achieve results in same time.  I am posting the Faithful Cie1931 first so you can compare it to the Cie1964. Here's the Cie1931:

Spectural Faithful: Cie1964

I really hope you download both the 1931 and the 1964 so you can see this- the Cie1964 is what I would call the "highlighter."  It brightens overall, not just the reflections. HOWEVER- the blue reflection (that I circled for you to watch in the first post of the tests) is much brighter with the Typical render. So you have Typical, then Cie1964 then Cie1931 so far as the blue highlight being brighter/more intense (meaning it keeps its color.)

For the gold: Okay, the Faithful Cie1964 casts a better gold onto golden glass as it casts gold, whereas Typical render and Faithful 1931 cast a slight (and I mean slight) green cast.  And again, the Faithful Cie1964 is brighter overall in all areas compared to the Cie1931. 

Spectural Natural: Cie1964

So here's Natural Cie1964. Comparing it to the Natural Cie1931, it's lighter overall. It has the yellow contribution, perhaps a red tinge.

Spectral rendering really only shows significant differences when caustics are enabled.  Turn on Optix, set up the scene so that transmitted light can fall onto a white/lightly-shadowed surface.  Render times should increase, not decrease......and you'll see proper color fringing due to the variation of frequencies of light that spectral rendering uses (as opposed to RGB color separation.)

hphoenix said:

Spectral rendering really only shows significant differences when caustics are enabled.  Turn on Optix, set up the scene so that transmitted light can fall onto a white/lightly-shadowed surface.  Render times should increase, not decrease......and you'll see proper color fringing due to the variation of frequencies of light that spectral rendering uses (as opposed to RGB color separation.)

Good to know- I've moved on and not doing anymore tests, I didn't even keep the scene. Can you tell me where/what Optix is? 

• Anyone here have i13's Yoga Environment?  Someone in the New Users forum is having issues with the view outside the window and I don't have the set so I haven't a clue what might be going on with it.  But, this is what it looks like:

That stretched out look on the landscape outside the window is the issue.  Anyone know what might be causing this?

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

The ground texture scale doesn't fit the dome and hdri being used. Hiding the ground should help. The other way is to play with the ground texture scale to see if it can be made to fit the scale of the hdri in the dome. It is a lot of fiddling and testing and can take a while to get it usable.

edited January 2017

I am posting the images for you to see the BOO Presets for KindredArts Ghost Lights, in progress here.  He will be releasing the link shortly, everything was already set up for him and I included thumbnails for each preset. Enjoy!  (I didn't want that to get buried at the end of this thread, or have the discussion carry over to the new one as some people would be jumping in at the middle of it. It also keeps tips/new additions to the lights by forum members in one place.) 

Post edited by Novica on

https://www.dropbox.com/s/okep5ziytjdf5jk/BooPreset.zip?dl=0   is the link for the Boo Presets. I just loaded them and they look wonderful!  They will load into the Light Presets in the Iray Ghost Light Kit, with a separate folder. I love it!  Thanks for the collaboration KindredArts!  yes

Novica said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/okep5ziytjdf5jk/BooPreset.zip?dl=0   is the link for the Boo Presets. I just loaded them and they look wonderful!  They will load into the Light Presets in the Iray Ghost Light Kit, with a separate folder. I love it!  Thanks for the collaboration KindredArts!  yes

No problem! Quite honestly though, Novica did 99.9% of the work here, so all credit to her. It looks like it took a monstrous amount of effort and i'm pleased to have been a part of it. Very well done wink 

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    Novica said:

Thanks Novica! I'll have to check these out as I haven't tried them for people yet. I've been posting renders using ghost lights for interior and exterior architectural scenes in KA's thread. They are really great for adding the missing ambient light that most interior Iray renders lack.

• Novica said:

I've been following along with the Boo Ghost Light saga of sorts so I'm very interested in looking these over.  Thanks for doing all of the hard work! :)

edited January 2017

You're very welcome. Something I'm about to post over in the BOO thread- I did the setup using a 15 x 15 foot plane, so for room renders, all you need to do on the side ones is straighten them if they're tilted, or slide them left or right/ forward/back. I made sure the lights weren't tightly clustered and were spread out so room renders would look good. 

I'm also adding some of the other lights I wasn't done testing / happy with. I've decided to name the additions I post in the BOO thread (the coordinates, not doing Presets, out of time)  the Spooks.  devil  The next render will have some Spook coordinates as soon as I can figure out which ones aren't in the Presets, and which ones I used. (Have to go into Surfaces for each one.)

Post edited by Novica on
    edited January 2017

Here's your first look at BOO as a starting point and a couple additional Ghost lights. Will discuss those on the BOO thread here in Art Studio.

I will say I am not using Selena Hair much as that part in the middle wasn't fun to tweak. The part kept showing too much skin upon default load.  Galene Hair (shown) is my preference. Same vendor. Outfit is Hot Topic  and character (with greatly reduced lips, like 70%) is Brook however she is a bit chalky IMO. I reduced bumps and increased reflectivity and glossiness. Love the moisture in the skin now.

Jepe's BeddingZ for Victoria 7  tip: darken the bed covers if you have brighter lights (go to Surfaces and use Diffuse) You keep more detail!

Post edited by Novica on

Hmmm,  Contemporary Loft is interesting. I think the railing is indented so the edge of the stairs stick out and therefore cover shelves on the wall below. The second row, third thumbnail, overhead view shows the railing the best.  Then the row 3, first one, shows what appears to be blocks under the stairs, with the stairs' edges being the overhang for them. So those blocks are shelves I think. A bit unique.  And did you notice all the Parameters to open and close things? Kudos. (another thumb, go look.) 

Talk about not making sense. In the Blink Sale two hours ago, you could pick up shoes for $4.14 (Simple Shoes) and Braided Wedge Sandals were $4.79.  Now, what a deal. Those same shoes in the Featured stores, with the requirement to buy a featured product, only drop to $6.21 and  $7.18   Perhaps they should coordinate better between upcoming sales and blink sales. (Love some of the Chungdan shoes. Those Braided Sandals are ADORABLE, look at the side of the heel in the second row, second thumbnail. Unusual and nice details. Might want to wishlist them if you didn't grab them before. Blink!) 

This discussion has been closed.