Gemology Volume 1 and 2 Out Now [Commercial]

I am late doing a thread, as I have the funkiest funk of all the funk (tis the season to be sickly lol)

But all that fun aside... Ive released some iray shaders that are Gemstones. Not only can they be used in your renders, but also commercially in your own sets

Got any questions, just shoot! I also have some tips, see below.....

http://www.daz3d.com/gemology-iray-shaders

http://www.daz3d.com/gemology-iray-shaders-volume-ii

Comments

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

They are beautiful, Iggy! I picked them up as soon as they came out. I knew they'd be awesome. Hope you feel better soon. We've had the funk here too, and it wasn't the disco kind!

• IgnisSerpentusIgnisSerpentus Posts: 2,474
    edited January 2017

I was playing with them earlier today, and decided to test them on an array of different things, including war bird... and I wanted to make some notes for you guys so you can use them more easily.

Tip one: uv scale. You're going to have to change this depending on the item you add them to and its uv scale. Some are big, some are small... so you will have to alter the uv scale to make the patterning bigger or smaller (so it looks proper for the model)

Tip two: If you are using them on faceted gemstones models, you will have to reset the angle on the jewel to 40 or less, to retain the crispness of the faceting (such as is the case with war bird's jewels) Most of the solid gems are intended for cabochon type cuts, and faceted gems tend to have more refracting stones in the real world. But there's really no rules in 3Dland.

Tip three: Dealing with Refraction. These were done to a skull (the skull from Phantoms II) but when you want to add the refracting rutilated gems to something smaller or more shallow vs deeper in scale, you may actually need to decrease the refraction weight to get the rutilation or cracking inherent in the textures to be more prominent. Its really entirely up to taste, tho, and how you want it to look. Higher refraction weight will give a more glassy look.

Tip four: Dealing with the opals... In the same way you will have to change the uv scale, you may also have to change the metallic flake size on the opals, to account for smaller items vs bigger ones. By default, its set to .27, but I have decreased that to .10 in these renders.

And on the opals... you can also change the color of the fire (the little flecks) by changing the metallic fleck map. There are quite a few different colors included, and recommend using one that is contrasting so it shows up better. Again tho, it comes down to taste.

Bird.jpg
    920 x 1004 - 308K
    BirdFire.jpg
    908 x 1028 - 312K
    Post edited by IgnisSerpentus on
  • Llynara said:

They are beautiful, Iggy! I picked them up as soon as they came out. I knew they'd be awesome. Hope you feel better soon. We've had the funk here too, and it wasn't the disco kind!

TY hon! And lol Id much prefer the disco kind. But ack... I hope you are feeling better. I am a lot better today than yesterday, but whew, its a bad one.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

These look great and are definitely in my wishlist. Gonna pick them up soon :)

Laurie

edited January 2017

Tip two: If you are using them on faceted gemstones models, you will have to reset the angle on the jewel to 40 or less, to retain the crispness of the faceting (such as is the case with war bird's jewels) Most of the solid gems are intended for cabochon type cuts, and faceted gems tend to have more refracting stones in the real world. But there's really no rules in 3Dland.

You don't need to change the smoothing angle. You can turn smoothing off and then set the "Round Corners Radius" to a very small number so that there's a tiny bit of roundoff on the edges of the gems so that they reflect light (there are no perfectly sharp edges in nature). I usually start at a value of 0.001 and decrease or increase the value from there - whichever is needed. :)

Laurie

turnsmoothoff.jpg
    229 x 181 - 21K
    Gems.jpg
    1000 x 966 - 685K
    Post edited by AllenArt on
  • pdspds Posts: 593
    edited January 2017
    AllenArt said:

You don't need to change the smoothing angle. You can turn smoothing off and then set the "Round Corners Radius" to a very small number so that there's a tiny bit of roundoff on the edges of the gems so that they reflect light (there are no perfectly sharp edges in nature). I usually start at a value of 0.001 and decrease or increase the value from there - whichever is needed. :)

Laurie

Hi Laurie, would you please clarify where these parameters can be found? The rings look great! Are they from a commercially available product?

EDIT: forgot to mention these shaders look amazing, IgnisSerpentus! In my cart for today's spree!

Post edited by pds on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

@pds Resistance is futile! LOL 

Llynara said:

@pds Resistance is futile! LOL 

Trust me...I've already been assimilated, lol 

• Yep, that totally works too... and thats an interesting little dial to play with, actually. Ive never messed with it before

@pds its an iray setting on the material. Just scroll all the way down.

Yep, that totally works too... and thats an interesting little dial to play with, actually. Ive never messed with it before

@pds its an iray setting on the material. Just scroll all the way down.

Great, thank you!

• Np! and ty too for the compliment smiley

edited January 2017

Yes, I'm sorry....it's at the bottom of the Iray shader "stack" on the Surface tab ;).

I can't wait to get these shaders and try them out, especially the opal :P

@pds...they aren't really rings, they're bangles (but I supposed you could use them as rings if you wanted to..lol). They're on the list for me to release into my freebies whenever I get off my lazy butt and prepare them. ;).

Laurie

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,959
    edited January 2017

@AllenArt please release your bangles, I love your stuff

Post edited by ALLIEKATBLUE on
  • Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited January 2017
    I bought these as soon as they hit the store. IS did a fantastic job! They have a beautiful "depth" to them that is unique. The items I tested looked like carved and polished gemstones. Posted an image over in the Ghost Lights thread. I'll try to get one in here as well.
    Post edited by Digital Lite Design on
    AllenArt said:

Yes, I'm sorry....it's at the bottom of the Iray shader "stack" on the Surface tab ;).

I can't wait to get these shaders and try them out, especially the opal :P

@pds...they aren't really rings, they're bangles (but I supposed you could use them as rings if you wanted to..lol). They're on the list for me to release into my freebies whenever I get off my lazy butt and prepare them. ;).

Laurie

Thanks for your response, and your bangles look great! If you make them available, I would love to use them.

• Hey, thanks Kat... would love to see what ya did with them.

And yes, the bangles do look really nice. You should totally release them :adds to peer pressure lol:

I promise I'll get them into my freebies soon™ laugh

Laurie

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

The Opal alone did it for me. 'Course I'm not ignoring the other choices.

• heh yah the opal is my fave too. Im biased tho, coz opal is my fave in general (prolly can tell with as many opal options as I did lol)

For those that care, I put both of the gemmy bangles on ShareCG. Haven't tried out any of IS's shaders on them, but I'm going to :D. I bet they look great (especially the opals :P).

Laurie

AllenArt said:

For those that care, I put both of the gemmy bangles on ShareCG. Haven't tried out any of IS's shaders on them, but I'm going to :D. I bet they look great (especially the opals :P).

Laurie

Awesome, thank you for sharing them! Do you go by the same user name on ShareCG?

edited January 2017
    pds said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

Awesome, thank you for sharing them! Do you go by the same user name on ShareCG?

Yes, but the link is in my signature ;) Look down. LOL

AllenArt said:
    pds said:
    AllenArt said:

Laurie

Yes, but the link is in my signature ;) Look down. LOL

lol, well, no sigs seem to display when reading the forums on my phone, but I'll definitely download them later when I'm back at my computer!