Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2

Comments

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 2012

Love the second one, David, somewhat bordering on the surreal - certainly not on planet Earth be this beach scene be! Third one looks like a Turner!

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Beyond the fact that it was an amazing lump of animation, I wonder how much time people wasted watching it. :lol:

I guess 162 minutes per person was wasted, some watched it more than 1 time, like morons like me who got nothing better to do than watching time wasting movies. :)

Don't feel bad, I know I watched it at least a half dozen times, which is very unusual for me as I rarely watch a movie more then 2 or 3 times and even then that's only if they're very good like the LOTR trilogy.

I wished I could make money doing 3D stuff but I cant I am lacking the phantasy to make arts. I just look at examples and try to make something similar. Thats why I am enjoying very much creating graphics with Bryce and playing around with it but I could never sell anything of what I make.

With the way you describe your ability to make things as you see them I would think creating actual 3D models would be a good hobby to develope that could lead to earning potential as there always seems to be a need for3D models to fill out peoples renders. Also creating pose sets might be another good avenue for making money as there seems to be so many people totally dependent on someone else's pose sets to position figures in their scenes.

I could also never leave my computer on over night. It would make me nervous knowing that my computer is working while I am sleeping. This week I forgot one time to switch the computer off before I go for exercise. When I came back I nearly exploded when I noticed my forgetfulness.

This is often hard for people to accept but if your computer is a desktop computer it's actually better in the long run to just let it run 24/7 provided of course that it's got a good cooling setup and is in a place were it doesn't get too warm. The two biggest factors for causing electronics to fail is heat and power surges. Everytime you turn a computer on there is a power surge and over time it's that surge that shortens the life of the computer. In the respect it's actually better for your computer to just leave it running and let it go into hibernation when you're away from it for a long time. My current computer has been on pretty much 24/7 for 5 years now with the only exception being power failures or when I do hardware upgrades and it is still running strong. Now if your computer is a laptop then leaving it on isn't necessarily good due to the compact nature of laptops and how that tends to make them get pretty warm. Since there isn't too much you can do to improve their cooling in their case it's better to shut them down when not in use for long periods.

edited December 1969

Looks great David - especially the next to last image (shoreline 4). Wow...

I have to second Dan's opinion shoreline 4 is very nice, the first one would be almost as nice if the area of wet sand between the surf and the rock on the right, wasn't so reflective.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

This is often hard for people to accept but if your computer is a desktop computer it's actually better in the long run to just let it run 24/7 provided of course that it's got a good cooling setup and is in a place were it doesn't get too warm. The two biggest factors for causing electronics to fail is heat and power surges. Everytime you turn a computer on there is a power surge and over time it's that surge that shortens the life of the computer. In the respect it's actually better for your computer to just leave it running and let it go into hibernation when you're away from it for a long time. My current computer has been on pretty much 24/7 for 5 years now with the only exception being power failures or when I do hardware upgrades and it is still running strong. Now if your computer is a laptop then leaving it on isn't necessarily good due to the compact nature of laptops and how that tends to make them get pretty warm. Since there isn't too much you can do to improve their cooling in their case it's better to shut them down when not in use for long periods.

I agree with the desktops being left on over night, down side being is you should vaccum it out more often as it will suck that much more dust and pet hair into it. as it stand I leave mine on 24/7 and as my Avatar pic shows I have at least 1 furry critter in the house.

the best things about leaving your desktop on all the time is you can schedule the maintenance stuff, for night time when you sleep, not just renders.. I have windows update scheduled for Wednesday nights, virus scans are 12am nightly.and I try to run long renders around those times, well except for wednesday nights as updates can cause reboots, which kills the render.

• pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

chohole said:
    Oh, right. I know one person who sometimes pulls in this thread would appreciate that. :coolgrin:
    And who was that?

Certainly wasn't me and if I find out other males have been pulling my Peasant Girls there will be anarchy. I'm already running low on Peasant Girls this year, so all I need is someone coming along and trying to pull them!

@Rareth
    Your character is developing quite a Julia Volkova likeness, which is good (see attached):

JV.jpg
    700 x 819 - 492K
    Post edited by pumeco on
    edited December 2012

pumeco said:
    chohole said:
    Oh, right. I know one person who sometimes pulls in this thread would appreciate that. :coolgrin:
    And who was that?

Certainly wasn't me and if I find out other males have been pulling my Peasant Girls there will be anarchy. I'm already running low on Peasant Girls this year, so all I need is someone coming along and trying to pull them!

@Rareth
    Your character is developing quite a Volkova likeness, which is good (see attached):

oh its just Genesis Vicky with a couple other morphs, Sassy Hair, and liberal application of my vinyl mat to the clothes in Bryce.
    I still need to learn more about DAZ Studio, I find poser easier to use.

Hmm the material in the picture DOES relfect like my vinyl does, thats good to know.. I can stop trying to tweak the reflective properties of it now.

Post edited by Rareth on
    edited December 2012

I meant to mention about the vinyl, I would experiment with some blotchyness in the specualr channel, maybe it would give that effect you get when you've run your hand over clean vinyl or latex. It's like with chocolate, when you first remove it from the foil it's perfectly smooth and glossy, but rubbing your finger over it even lightly takes the gloss away.

I would do a similar thing on the vinyl using the specular channel, but only lightly, and you'd have to get the blotchyness scale right as well if you played with it.

Post edited by pumeco on
    edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    I meant to mention about the vinyl, I would experiment with some blotchyness in the specualr channel, maybe it would give that effect you get when you've run your hand over clean vinyl or latex. It's like with chocolate, when you first remove it from the foil it's perfectly smooth and glossy, but rubbing your finger over it even lightly takes the gloss away.

I would do a similar thing on the vinyl using the specular channel, but only lightly, and you'd have to get the blotchyness scale right as well if you played with it.

I'm using a negative-specular light to get most of the effect, I'll have to see how much tweaking I can get, its already got a bump applied, which would do what you're suggesting, and blurred reflections would also help,

but I find I like the "wet" look on that outfit with Vicky wearing it... :)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,105
    edited December 1969

I am happy that at least someone likes renders of small and insignificant Eireann.

Well, I dunno whether you are small or large, but nobody working with Bryce and posting here is insignificant.
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,105
    edited December 1969

@silverdali - Office Politics: great render!

@eireann.sg - great spider.

@David Brinnen - great examples. I like the splash on the first, the lens "flaws" on the second and third, the landscape on the fourth and the stony thingy in the last.

edited December 1969

I am happy that at least someone likes renders of small and insignificant Eireann.

Awww, I thought you didn't go in for any of that "emotional" stuff, eireann? ;-)
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: Are you saying I'd get better results using a sphere dome light in place of the radial light? I decided to switch out the lights, in case that's what you meant. It will be one long render for sure.

@silver: That seems to be right. Office politics does seem to resemble that image. With the bones of the employees scattered about. Nice job. Was the reflecting sphere, I believe you said, from one of David's tutorials?

@David: Those are nice shore line scenes. I particularly like the third one, it looks like lava meeting the sea. The fourth one looks so very serene I want to charter a flight today. And the fourth one looks like a good place for steel toed boots. They're all nicely done.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Dave: Are you saying I'd get better results using a sphere dome light in place of the radial light? I decided to switch out the lights, in case that's what you meant. It will be one long render for sure.

I meant if you swap your radial red light for a sphere dome red light... yes it will increase your render time, but it will give a more diffused light.

For your scene, you may be better off turning your sun red (you;ll have to play with the colour settings to get it to look just right) and having a normal white radial above the camera to make the foreground white while keeping the background mountains red. Unless you want the red light source to look as if it's coming from inside the stone temple.

edited December 1969

Have very quickly put together a similar scene to illustrate what I'm saying in my previous post.

GusTemp2.jpg
    460 x 650 - 175K
    GusTemp1.jpg
    460 x 650 - 190K
  • GeroblueJimGeroblueJim Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

Still a bit too shalow for the sand, but I turned the sand rectangle into an oval. Lowered the main island hills a bit as well. The rock on the right looks a bit like a car for some reason.

island28.png
    1107 x 602 - 956K
    Post edited by GeroblueJim on
  • cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

But the render times. It took more than 40 minutes.

I had to abandon my grape material test renders yesterday because an urgent(ish) job came in.
    A job that took 14 hours to render. :ohh:
    I would not have enough patience for that and then make it animated.....
    I am wondering how much render time it took to create the movie Avatar.
    You must be getting money for your renders.
    Maybe thats the difference. I am just a hobbyist and try to look at something nice fast.

I'm not sure if this is correct, but I heard a few years ago that the movie Toy Story took over a year for a render farm to render all the frames.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I am not sure about this one. I post worked it a bit.

Winter Goddess. The 3rd face of the Goddess.

Winter_goddess.jpg
    675 x 900 - 413K
    edited December 2012

chohole said:

Looks great to me.

If I was to make a personal change to my own taste, I'd be tempted to put some of the green misty magic colour you've got floating around her into a strong reflection in her eyes. It would bring her eyes to life a bit... but on the whole, she fits into that scene really well and the material on the dress is especially good. :)

Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

I'm not sure if this is correct, but I heard a few years ago that the movie Toy Story took over a year for a render farm to render all the frames.Uh, and that was not even with true ambiance, soft shadows or distance blur.

Don't feel bad, I know I watched it at least a half dozen times, which is very unusual for me as I rarely watch a movie more then 2 or 3 times and even then that's only if they're very good like the LOTR trilogy.Hope The Hobbit will be equally good. Its just out but I wait a while until the crowds are out. I cant stand sitting too close to other people.

With the way you describe your ability to make things as you see them I would think creating actual 3D models would be a good hobby to develope that could lead to earning potential as there always seems to be a need for3D models to fill out peoples renders. Also creating pose sets might be another good avenue for making money as there seems to be so many people totally dependent on someone else's pose sets to position figures in their scenes.

Thats why its a hobby for me. I like making models nice 3d images, but I dont have to patience to make it so detailed so that someone could buy it. Besides I have no idea who would buy it. My connections are a few to the chemical industry and one to a watch wholesaler. I uninstalled DAZ Studio because I am not interested in doing people and its interface is not compatible with me.

This is often hard for people to accept but if your computer is a desktop computer it's actually better in the long run to just let it run 24/7 provided of course that it's got a good cooling setup and is in a place were it doesn't get too warm. The two biggest factors for causing electronics to fail is heat and power surges. Everytime you turn a computer on there is a power surge and over time it's that surge that shortens the life of the computer. In the respect it's actually better for your computer to just leave it running and let it go into hibernation when you're away from it for a long time. My current computer has been on pretty much 24/7 for 5 years now with the only exception being power failures or when I do hardware upgrades and it is still running strong. Now if your computer is a laptop then leaving it on isn't necessarily good due to the compact nature of laptops and how that tends to make them get pretty warm. Since there isn't too much you can do to improve their cooling in their case it's better to shut them down when not in use for long periods.I didnt know that its better to keep a desktop running. I always switch it off to conserve energy. and I feel that hibernation has killed my old computer. BTW: I am living in Singapore, we have typically temperatures of 32 degC here and I dont have air-con.

Post edited by eireann.sg on
    edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    Awww, I thought you didn't go in for any of that "emotional" stuff, eireann? ;-)Guess I just watched Babylon 5 and still had some fragments of the show haunting me

Well, I dunno whether you are small or large, but nobody working with Bryce and posting here is insignificant.
    1m82 tall weighing a warping 71 kg :snake:. Now do your math :lol:
    I am happy you like my pet. Its about 6mm in size.
    edited December 1969

@David
    What did you mean by 20 high?

edited December 2012

chohole said:

Well I'm sure about this, that's a splendid image and I like the concept of making her appearence aged as it feels well matched to the concept of a goddess for the seasons. Winter has always felt aged to me where as spring and summer have always felt youthful. Yet even though it's an aged face it's still an attractive face which makes it fitting to be the face of a goddess.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
    edited December 1969

Don't feel bad, I know I watched it at least a half dozen times, which is very unusual for me as I rarely watch a movie more then 2 or 3 times and even then that's only if they're very good like the LOTR trilogy.Hope The Hobbit will be equally good. Its just out but I wait a while until the crowds are out. I cant stand sitting too close to other people.

From what I'm hearing and the few glimpses I've seen it should be, although I've yet to be given a sense of how they did the main protagonist Smaug, although given the talent they've demonstrated in the LOTR movies I'm sure he looks great. The only complaint I have so far about The Hobbit is that as I understand it they've turned it into a trilogy as well. I didn't mind it so much with LOTR because that's how it was written but The Hobbit was written as a single book, not a trilogy. Still there is enough to the story of The Hobbit that they could easily benefit from turning it into a trilogy to expand on various elements of the story rather then try to cram it all into one film.

Thats why its a hobby for me. I like making models nice 3d images, but I dont have to patience to make it so detailed so that someone could buy it. Besides I have no idea who would buy it. My connections are a few to the chemical industry and one to a watch wholesaler. I uninstalled DAZ Studio because I am not interested in doing people and its interface is not compatible with me.

Well if you aren't interested in doing people and you feel Studio is incompatible then perhaps 3D modeling for you would not be a good hobby to one day turn into profit. I mean I'm essentially suggesting catering to the 3D masses and unfortunately most of them are interested in images centered around people and a great many of them do use Studio so to close yourself off to those aspects of the market would make it much harder to become profitable.

This is often hard for people to accept but if your computer is a desktop computer it's actually better in the long run to just let it run 24/7 provided of course that it's got a good cooling setup and is in a place were it doesn't get too warm. The two biggest factors for causing electronics to fail is heat and power surges. Everytime you turn a computer on there is a power surge and over time it's that surge that shortens the life of the computer. In the respect it's actually better for your computer to just leave it running and let it go into hibernation when you're away from it for a long time. My current computer has been on pretty much 24/7 for 5 years now with the only exception being power failures or when I do hardware upgrades and it is still running strong. Now if your computer is a laptop then leaving it on isn't necessarily good due to the compact nature of laptops and how that tends to make them get pretty warm. Since there isn't too much you can do to improve their cooling in their case it's better to shut them down when not in use for long periods.I didnt know that its better to keep a desktop running. I always switch it off to conserve energy. and I feel that hibernation has killed my old computer. BTW: I am living in Singapore, we have typically temperatures of 32 degC here and I dont have air-con.

Ah well in a constantly warmish climate without AC then okay maybe being on all the time isn't good for you. Conserving energy is a good thing and certainly I don't mean to discourage that, I only suggested what I did because a good system done right and making good use of hibernation mode doesn't really waste that much energy. I'm not here to try and talk you into something you feel uncomfortable with though so I'll just end it by saying, should you forget in the future to turn it off while you go to exercise, don't be too hard on yourself the planet will survive and your energy bill won't be much different for having made that occasional mistake of forgetting to turn your computer off.

edited December 1969

well the Background is a Bryce Render...

Hero-zap3.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 431K
    edited December 1969

Wow, I was using google to try to find something and was surprised to discover Bryce has a wikipedia page. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryce_(software)

edited December 1969

Wow, I was using google to try to find something and was surprised to discover Bryce has a wikipedia page. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryce_(software)

The link doesnt work when you click on it. It only works when you copy the text and paste it into the URL box.
  • SylverdaliSylverdali Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Renders for companion files for DVD2... still a long way off being finished.

Edit, Silverdali, good to here the tuts are being used. In this example, I'm guessing the cavernous background is masked and the pillars and the beats belong to a different render. The scene works very well - again, a guess, the cavern effect was produced using mirrors? And this would not have been compatible with the foreground scene?

@ David I have not use any mask and the scene is completely all in a one go render I will say that it took 2 hours to render the cave is one large sphere which i had warped the mat and used a Bryce cracked mud terrain to reflect off the the floor plane I hope that makes scene the way i have explained it
  • SylverdaliSylverdali Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

@silver: That seems to be right. Office politics does seem to resemble that image. With the bones of the employees scattered about. Nice job. Was the reflecting sphere, I believe you said, from one of David's tutorials?

@David: Those are nice shore line scenes. I particularly like the third one, it looks like lava meeting the sea. The fourth one looks so very serene I want to charter a flight today. And the fourth one looks like a good place for steel toed boots. They're all nicely done.

The reflective sphere was my own invention I will post an image of the sphere
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    @David
    What did you mean by 20 high?

When did I say it? I look back and can't find it. And I can't remember. Sorry. Can you remember what the context was?

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 2012

GeroblueJim...looks like you're starting to enjoy this render thingy...very nice developments in your work :)

Chohole...oooh, that looks nice. It sorta of looks non-Chohole-like if you don't mind me saying; where before your Naïve style was instantly recognised. Still, ver nice if your style has changed.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
This discussion has been closed.