Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2

Comments

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

and here we have Vicky wearing a black vinyl jacket.. (tranmissions turned off, and 4 rpp still took 27 minutes)

vicky-vinyl.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 342K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

That looks quite convincing!

edited December 1969

ok so the lighting for the Vinyl we have a negative specular dome light and a regular dome light, the negative light is setup the same as Rashad's velvet tutorial, the Regular dome has almost the same setting except it has a diffuse of 20 and a specular of 300.
    I have a spot light pointing at a sphere under the cloth, and it has a diffuse of 50 and a specular of 150 linear fall off, no soft shadows, no soft edges (you can play with these settings) see light settings (I did not show the negavie specular, as Rashad has already done that)

both light domes are the same size and at the same location, (I in fact copy&pasted; the negative specular one and changes settings) the spot light is off to the side as shown in the wire frame. the mat settings are very simple. I just tweaked things a bit from the velvet. see pics.
    rendered in director view, normal rendering (no premium effects, I could have probably turned down the ray depth but it is at the default settings.

other-settings.jpg
    1795 x 768 - 351K
    light-settings.jpg
    1417 x 534 - 217K
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    That looks quite convincing!

The temptation to put her in the basic super suit in Daz then bridge her over to bryce so I could render her in a full body black vinyl cat suit was hard to resist.. but somehow I managed.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

And cat ears as well ?

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    And cat ears as well ?

actually more along the lines of a whip and thigh high boots

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Oh, right. I know one person who sometimes pulls in this thread would appreciate that. :coolgrin:

edited December 1969

ROFL.. oh heck.. hold on, brain just took off after an idea, I need to go catch it..

• dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

@Rareth:
    'Velvet Test 1' looked too flat for me - maybe that's because negative dome specular was not strong enough?
    Velvet 2 is looks already quite usable.

I'm totally loving that play between bump, specular and reflection in your Black Vinyl material. It looks very good as a clothing, and 'convincing' is imho very appropriate word here. I'm wondering how does it look in more colourful environment.

@David Brinnen:
    About the second rendering - I don't know what to focus at - both materials are amazing! Very silk-looking dragon, but the reflective circuit material with DOF and HDR is a winner for me ;) These small patches of the floor remind me a holographic foil.

The rubber material:
    - 24 - with anisotropic specular
    - 25 - regular round one

I don't know where does the problem with sharp line on the sphere and faint on some other surfaces come from... It spoils the smooth look...

25.png
    400 x 400 - 323K
    24.png
    400 x 400 - 327K
    Post edited by dwsel on
    edited December 1969

dwsel_ said:
    @Rareth:
    'Velvet Test 1' looked too flat for me - maybe that's because negative dome specular was not strong enough?
    Velvet 2 is looks already quite usable.

I'm totally loving that play between bump, specular and reflection in your Black Vinyl material. It looks very good as a clothing, and 'convincing' is imho very appropriate word here. I'm wondering how does it look in more colourful environment.

thats the next test, as I am currently working on making sure the whole thing isn't a fluke, the material is fine, it is duplicating the lighting that is challenging, I think the reflections are a tad high, as soon as this next render is done I'll show you why..

edited December 1969

ok as we can see the vinyl is just a bit too reflective, getting more than specular here might work if I change the diffuse just a bit so it's not full black, then tweak the reflection slider abit to lower it..

vicky-vinyl1.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 350K
  • GeroblueJimGeroblueJim Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Okay, I'll try the alt key thing... but I had 2 ground planes and one terrain area. Now I have 2 terrain areas and one ground plane.

I have a rectangle of sand just under the water, figured out how to flatten the terrain plane, and the two islands are still there.

• eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

But the render times. It took more than 40 minutes.

I had to abandon my grape material test renders yesterday because an urgent(ish) job came in.
    A job that took 14 hours to render. :ohh:I would not have enough patience for that and then make it animated.....
    I am wondering how much render time it took to create the movie Avatar.
    You must be getting money for your renders.
    Maybe thats the difference. I am just a hobbyist and try to look at something nice fast.
    Post edited by eireann.sg on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

All of this stuff being made possible with negative specular could have been accomplished through materials if the sliders int he material lab could be made negative for specular. But alas that did not happen even though David did request it for all of the channels. In addition he proposed increasing the ranges beyond 100. Both great ideas.

The Negative Specular dome creates a potential for all different sorts of surfaces other applications can only produce with complex "shaders." Bryce 7 has a lot of new powers doesnt it?

edited December 1969

ok here is another Render of Vicky in vinyl...

vinyl-vicky-walking.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 238K
    edited December 1969

ok made the vinyl red to see how it turned out..

and one in Daz Studio, just to see whats what..

Vicky-basesuit.jpg
    618 x 800 - 87K
    vicky-redvinyl.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 647K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 2012

A job that took 14 hours to render. :ohh:I would not have enough patience for that and then make it animated.....
    Lol, yes, it's a good job it wasn't an animation, I don't think my poor processor would have been happy doing a 4 second animation at 24fps if each frame took 14 hours. :)

I am wondering how much render time it took to create the movie Avatar.
    Beyond the fact that it was an amazing lump of animation, I wonder how much time people wasted watching it. :lol:

You must be getting money for your renders.

Yes, I do try and include renders in my paid work where ever possible or practical.

Maybe thats the difference. I am just a hobbyist and try to look at something nice fast.
    I think the secret is to make money out of doing your hobbies. I make my living from designing, making music and magic and it means that when I'm earning money, it's not like having a job.
    For render times, it helps to try and organise stuff so that you work on a scene during the day and leave it to render overnight where possible.
    It also helps a lot to explore ways to reduce render times with more efficient use of materials, lighting and render settings (I usually do at least half a dozen test plop renders before running the final render to check for minimum noise etc). For instance, there are many times when people will render at 256RPP when the scene would have been no worse for being rendered at 36RPP.

Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Rareth: That vinyl look real good. Nice job.

I had to redo my temple image because I'd loused up the lighting and couldn't get it back the way it was at first. If the images display in the proper order, the first one may be the image with the red light washing the mountain sides. This is what I was originally after, but found out if I add soft shadows that red light disappears. The second image, I hope, is with soft shadows added, and you can see how it washes off the red light from the mountain sides. You'll notice too that the red light on the ground is gone. I'd like to add soft shadows but not if it washes off the red light.

Both images were rendered with TA activated, RPP at 144, MRD at 6, TA Scattering Correction activated, No Gamma correction. Sun in the, hopefully, first image is set to 50--the image with red light washing the mountain sides--Sun/Moon Shadows set to 90. The only difference between the red light washing the mountain walls image and the other is Soft Shadows is activated in the second image.

The red light comes from a radial light placed inside a stone with altered material. The diffuse for the radial light is 639, specular is the same. The stone was altered so ambience was set to 100, to help make the stone glow a bit, transparency was set to 100, reflection set to 8.4, and refraction set to 300.

Since I haven't got lighting down pat, or any other form, how can I use soft shadows and still get the red light washing the mountain sides and ground?

Canyon_7.png
    1514 x 885 - 2M
    Canyon_6.png
    1514 x 885 - 2M
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 2012

GussNemo said:
    Since I haven't got lighting down pat, or any other form, how can I use soft shadows and still get the red light washing the mountain sides and ground?

In the light lab window for your radial light, there is the option to soften the shadows on it.
    Then as long as the soft shadows option is chosen in your render setting, the red light will cast soft shadows.
    The scale of your scene will depend to an extant upon how soft the shadows appear, you may need to go all the way up to 100 with them.

Also, using a sphere dome light (the 9th light along on the tool shelf) will soften the shadows more and produce a more diffused light but will increase your render times as it is actually a small cluster of lights so it will have more to calculate.

Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • SylverdaliSylverdali Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    ok made the vinyl red to see how it turned out..

and one in Daz Studio, just to see whats what..

wow great pose and background excellent lighting
    edited December 2012

Office Politics

Well its been a while but i have been checking out David Tuts especially the one about masks well I succeeded and was very happy with results although i did not use it in this images, the cave in this image is created by using a warped reflected sphere and terrain mat floor plane

office_politics.jpg
    1024 x 785 - 864K
    Post edited by Sylverdali on
    edited December 1969

Not been up to much this last week (unless producing mucus counts?) thanks to the inevitable Winter round of germs, but I'm feeling a bit better now - ish... Still not really got much voice left to speak of - which goes without saying? Anyway, I've continued pondering SSS and I had a little idea to test, here instead of absorption through volumetric material, I've used internal reflection to modify the light transiting the interior - because there is a limit to the number of bounces, the ray depth, by bouncing the light around inside it effectively gets absorbed by running out of speed (ray depth) - or so I reckoned. This took one hour forty to render - so not that efficient. I used a green light on the left and a red light on the right. No other light sources. Horo's Heating Room HDRI provides a backdrop just for reflection.

Sorry to hear you've been sick but glad to hear you're on the mend in time to enjoy the holidays in reasonably good health.

Thanks Mark, yeah well I'm not very good at stomach bugs and colds, I have a low tolerance for such things.

Erieann's peachy dragon really caught my eye, it almost has the electron microscope look about it. I like that effect very much. Of course Rashad's velvet texture method is very clever. I decided I'd have a play and tired turning the idea on its head by swapping the roles of the lights, but the results were not as good as yours (second image).

Now Dwsel has moved onto rubber... I can't keep pace! Which is a good thing.
    First image, still mucking around trapping light inside the surface of objects in a vague hope to simulate SSS without resorting to difficult to replicate double mesh solutions.

@ David the first dragon is stunning the lighting is really something ..... also thanks again for the mask tut i learnt a lot

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    ok Here is the Fruit Plate, I think I need to redo the grapes as purple ones, but thats for another day..

fabulous still life very real excellent lighting
    edited December 1969

Bonsai tree.

Trunk and branches made with more meta balls.
    Exported meta ball model as a 3DS file and it gives you options for mesh size setting (I'd never tried this before so that was new to me).
    Setting it to 100 (most detail) gives excellent results and when the 3DS is imported back into Bryce, speeds up everything immensely.

gorgeous tree
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956
    edited December 1969

@Ronald – the king’s treasure renders are fantastic

@Rareth – cool fruit bowl – I like both renders the one in Bryce and Carrara. Your abstract renders are very nice too. so are the still life

@ Dave – awesome organic modeling and the Bonsai tree is beautiful… metaballs and multi-replicate, something I would like to try, hope it’s more fun than frustrating.

@Eireann – your fancy flower is very nice and the dragon render is awesome.

@Horo – Thanks – abstracts are fun to do.

@ GussNemo – I like your temple ... I like the one with the red light.

@ Silver – another amazing, interesting render.

I think the secret is to make money out of doing your hobbies.

I totally agree. Many of us, me included, work in jobs that are boring and routine. I hope one day I can do the same, make money from my hobby. I could do with the extra bucks, maybe then I can buy David’s and Horo’s goodies.

edited December 2012

I am happy that at least someone likes renders of small and insignificant Eireann.
    You all work up there
    Eireann work down here
    Eireann got nobody to talk to, no one manages poor Eireann, so, Eireann talks to dirt, sometimes talks to walls or talks to ceilings. but dirt is closer, dirt is used through everyone walking on it just like Eireann, but we have come to like it. It is our role, it is our destiny in the universe.
    So, sometimes, you see, dirt has insects in it and Eireann likes insects. Not so good for conversation, but much protein for diet :)
    Eireann has very sad life, probably has very sad death but at least there is symmetry
    DSC_0353_(1000x672).jpg
    1000 x 672 - 211K
    Post edited by eireann.sg on
    edited December 1969

Beyond the fact that it was an amazing lump of animation, I wonder how much time people wasted watching it. :lol:

I guess 162 minutes per person was wasted, some watched it more than 1 time, like morons like me who got nothing better to do than watching time wasting movies. :)

Yes, I do try and include renders in my paid work where ever possible or practical.
    At least someone is a good enough artist to make money out of it :) Unfortunately I am not an artist, I can only use what others show me. I can copy polymers. Someone shows me which polymers he needs and I can copy it. Even for photography, I cant make artistic photos, just realistic photos,s show things exactly as they are

I think the secret is to make money out of doing your hobbies. I make my living from designing, making music and magic and it means that when I'm earning money, it's not like having a job.
    For render times, it helps to try and organise stuff so that you work on a scene during the day and leave it to render overnight where possible.
    It also helps a lot to explore ways to reduce render times with more efficient use of materials, lighting and render settings (I usually do at least half a dozen test plop renders before running the final render to check for minimum noise etc). For instance, there are many times when people will render at 256RPP when the scene would have been no worse for being rendered at 36RPP.I wished I could make money doing 3D stuff but I cant I am lacking the phantasy to make arts. I just look at examples and try to make something similar. Thats why I am enjoying very much creating graphics with Bryce and playing around with it but I could never sell anything of what I make.
    I could also never leave my computer on over night. It would make me nervous knowing that my computer is working while I am sleeping. This week I forgot one time to switch the computer off before I go for exercise. When I came back I nearly exploded when I noticed my forgetfulness.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I am happy that at least someone likes renders of small and insignificant Eireann.
    You all work up there
    Eireann work down here
    Eireann got nobody to talk to, no one manages poor Eireann, so, Eireann talks to dirt, sometimes talks to walls or talks to ceilings. but dirt is closer, dirt is used through everyone walking on it just like Eireann, but we have come to like it. It is our role, it is our destiny in the universe.
    So, sometimes, you see, dirt has insects in it and Eireann likes insects. Not so good for conversation, but much protein for diet :)
    Eireann has very sad life, probably has very sad death but at least there is symmetry

But Eireann sees beauty where others see no beauty.
    Eireann has a talent.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 2012

Renders for companion files for DVD2... still a long way off being finished.

Edit, Silverdali, good to here the tuts are being used. In this example, I'm guessing the cavernous background is masked and the pillars and the beats belong to a different render. The scene works very well - again, a guess, the cavern effect was produced using mirrors? And this would not have been compatible with the foreground scene?

Shoreline_v2_de_flied1.jpg
    933 x 700 - 260K
    Shoreline_v4.jpg
    1700 x 850 - 567K
    Shoreline_v3.jpg
    1422 x 800 - 480K
    Shoreline_v1.jpg
    637 x 850 - 229K
    Shoreline_v0.jpg
    750 x 750 - 212K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

Looks great David - especially the next to last image (shoreline 4). Wow...

This discussion has been closed.