StrangeFate's stuff: Tribal Armor & Body Paints out now!

Comments

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562

That sword looks so awesomely-monstrously huge in the first! The armor looks great against dark skin, too.

- Greg

Algovincian - That's looking really nice, I imagine the volumetrics is just a large cube or something ebveloping the whole area ?
    I like the one with the strongest glow!

Yeah. I find the parameters exposed in the DAZ Uber base shader associated with volumetrics to be challenging. This info from sickleyield/jag11 is where I started:

http://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-Creating-Dust-And-Atmosphere-in-Iray-522291773

It's old, and I definitely am not following it exactly (for example, my cam is inside the volume), but hopefully it'll give you a place to start.

Eventually, I'd like to write some custom MDL for it, but I'm lacking motivation at the moment. I've got to implement volumetrics into my NPR junk first - I've been struggling with how to tell a machine to draw lines from a volumetric pass for ages!

- Greg

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

It's old, and I definitely am not following it exactly (for example, my cam is inside the volume), but hopefully it'll give you a place to start.

That's because with the very first version of Iray, in Studio, it had to be outside.  Not long after Studio with Iray was released, Nvidia updated volumetrics and being able to have the camera inside was one of the features of that update...

At least that is what it looks like by reading up on volumetrics on Nvidia's forums.

mjc1016 said:

That's because with the very first version of Iray, in Studio, it had to be outside.  Not long after Studio with Iray was released, Nvidia updated volumetrics and being able to have the camera inside was one of the features of that update...

At least that is what it looks like by reading up on volumetrics on Nvidia's forums.

Ahhh that makes sense - thanks for the info and taking the time to post, MJC.

- Greg

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

I stumbled on that one the other night...and there was a comment by one of the Nvidia folks on the Nvidia forums about Studio in particular, because that change didn't seem to be being mentioned here.

Now, this set is looking fantastic...the right blend of 'heroic' impractical armor and just awesome 'kick butt' cool with some very practical elements thrown in for fun.

• Quick question... does anybody know where separate texture packs for clothes are commonly store ? Are they thrown in the same folder as the clothes, or sicne they are a separate product, are they in their own folder ? ..I imagine the latter, but not sure.

Things have been turning out very Warhammerish so far... That said, you'll be able to apply a whole color scheme or just the trim, paints or metal colors of each, to mix and match them as you please.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Not having done anything more than purchase textures most of the ones I get are a separate folder but end up in the same spot as the original item but as an added file when loaded by DIM. Can't speak for smart contents as I don't use it. For instance I might have dress a with textures and the vendor may sell dress a blue textures.  I would then have the dress with the original mats and a second file with the new textures added to the dress. I would end up with dress a original textures and dress a blue textures.  If that makes any sense at all.

• I think it almost does make sense, thanks :)

edited December 2016

I'm glad lol

Finally got the render I wanted to do done.  There are several other versions on my art page with different filters.  But I think this one is my favorite. Maybe lol...

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,219
    edited December 2016

Quick question... does anybody know where separate texture packs for clothes are commonly store ? Are they thrown in the same folder as the clothes, or sicne they are a separate product, are they in their own folder ? ..I imagine the latter, but not sure.

Set up a folder called Material in your Clothing folder.  Easy to find,  easy to use.

Post edited by FirstBastion on
  •  

Quick question... does anybody know where separate texture packs for clothes are commonly store ? Are they thrown in the same folder as the clothes, or sicne they are a separate product, are they in their own folder ? ..I imagine the latter, but not sure.

Set up a folder called Material in your Clothing folder.  Easy to find,  easy to use.

Yeah that's what I ended up doing, thanks :)

Ice Dragon - That's a cool idea with the Dragon, somehow fitting. Did you scale up the HeadDress rings and beads on purpose or did they break somehow ?

No, its not the armour lol. I missed moving them behind her or moving them a bit more forward and they are apparently inside her body. (that must hurt, she's tougher than I though lol).  I totally missed that thanks!  I will work on fixing that when I get home later. I really have to stop working so late into the the night..  There just is never enough time to do the fun stuff and once I get started on something I have a hard time walking away until its done...

• This armor set looks good, when is the ETA on it? 

edited December 2016

Love your dragon, Sonja! Been playin with my lizard, too, though yours seems to be more friendly than mine. Maybe yours is in indication of who one the fight lol:

Can't say enough about how much I've enjoyed playing with the Kadis Armor, Mario. I'm leaving again for the next couple of days, but plan on rendering it some more once I get back.

Happy New Year, everyone!

- Greg

drag-05-800.png
    800 x 1040 - 1M
    Post edited by algovincian on
  • NosiFerret - It's basically done. Just holding on to it for a few more days while doing some promo stuff, then submitting it to Daz.

Algovincian - Looks great! ...she got lucky that fire just uhmm, missed her!

I don't know I like your dragon too lol!  Not all dragons are friendly!

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

The armor looks incredible! Awesome work, Strangefate!

I'm so sad I missed out on the beta testing! Ah well, maybe I'll be able to get in on testing your next product. :)

Amazing work! That's, hands down, the best fantasy armor set I've seen yet! Well done!

• Thanks Diva! ...I hope the next thing I do will be as interesting then :)

Here is the same scene as above but with a red dragon, so the armour stands out more as the focal. No postwork in this one at all, just straight up Iray render.

I've been getting a lot of requests on where to find this armour so hopefully when it hits the store it will do very well.  There is a LOT of interest in it lol

• strangefate_asdf@msn.com[email protected] Posts: 751
    edited January 2017

That light set up works a lot better!

Hopefully nothing mayor will be wrong with it once Daz gets it, still all too new to know what to expect when submitting :)

Some color:

Post edited by Chohole on

That's breath-taking! Nice touch with the bloom effects too, looks great!

The blue is gorgeous altough I really liked the reddish one as well.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Absolutely GORGEOUS!!! I so want that right now, but I know I have to wait.......hangs head and states I hate waitingggggggg giggles.

I just love your eye for details Strangefate so amazing!!!!

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617

What makes your stuff look so great, Mario, (beside the incredible attention to detail) is that it has that "worn" look.  So many clothing items and weapons/armor in the store look like they just came off the rack in the store 10 minutes ago!  Brand new...never been hacked or used at all....not faded or threadbare...no holes, dirt, scuff marks.  Just...newness! 

Sure, there are a few like that, but not nearly enough.  I would bet there's a HUGE market here for that look.

(hint..hint!)

smiley

...and wouldn't it be interesting to go back and revisit some of these old stand-by items, and rough them up a bit.

I do have Filter Forge for texturing...

Things that make you go "hmmm..."

What makes your stuff look so great, Mario, (beside the incredible attention to detail) is that it has that "worn" look.  So many clothing items and weapons/armor in the store look like they just came off the rack in the store 10 minutes ago!  Brand new...never been hacked or used at all....not faded or threadbare...no holes, dirt, scuff marks.  Just...newness! 

dHandle said:

Sure, there are a few like that, but not nearly enough.  I would bet there's a HUGE market here for that look.

(hint..hint!)

smiley

...and wouldn't it be interesting to go back and revisit some of these old stand-by items, and rough them up a bit.

I do have Filter Forge for texturing...

Things that make you go "hmmm..."

I really want to start playing with the texture templates in photoshop.  With the right brush tools, I bet it would super fun to play with making things dirty or bloody or torn or whatever.

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617

Pick a product, Sonja.  Weapon..armor...clothing...anything.  Something a bunch of ppl would have, or could get cheap.  Let's get the templates, and see what we can come up with.  I bet it woul;d be fun! 

And I bet Knittingmommy wouldn't mind hosting something like that in her labroatory either!

I'm willing to give it a try lol.  I have to work all day tomorrow but will have to take a look through my library and pick something out. Destiny's Garden has a thread in the art studio in which we were learing to texture, but I think we all got kind of sidetracked with life.  Will see if I can track it down tomorrow as I am headed for bed now. Has some really good info in it.

Although I think its going to be awhile before I catch up to Mario's texuring skills lol.

I'd be up for giving it a try, if the item(s) are something I have. :)

That light set up works a lot better!

Hopefully nothing mayor will be wrong with it once Daz gets it, still all too new to know what to expect when submitting :)

Some color:

The new textures look fantastic, Mario! Just out of curiosity, have you considered doing a Morph3D version? Might be something worth discussing with DAZ, especially given your background.

- Greg

• Algo - Never heard of Morph3D before googling it just now... are they affiliated with Daz at all ?

It's always fun to make things old and worn. Most people nowadays enjoy more the modeling than the texturing which is why it suffers in general. A shame because you can make a simple model look great with a good texture, and a great model look mediocre with a bad one.

I actually lost some detail nuances when doing the new colors, since for the sake of speed they were thrown on top of the old texture. The result is most scratches not looking dirtier and less shiny than the undamaged parts, very visible in that last render I did. Going to see if I can find a quick way to do something about it.