Preference question.

Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I have a question about the Preferences in Daz Studio 4.0 Pro. I'm working on a piece that needs to have ten characters in the scene, yet, I have a hard time getting even six or seven of them into the scene without crashing. The file size simply gets too big. I've tried the Export as object rout, but that really screws up the textures and even the scene after trying the second character. (including poke-through where there was none previously, and the Diffuse, Specular, and Ambient going out of wack).

Under Preferences> Interface, there is a slider titled OpenGL Textures that goes from (high)Performance to (high)Quality. My question is would lowering the quality to increase performance, allow me to get more characters into the scene? and will that affect the final render or just what I see on the screen while working on putting the scene together before rendering?

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

When is it crashing?

Is it during a render or still in preview?

What video card? How much video memory? How much system memory? What OS? What's the bit count?

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 2012

I render to RIB now and do my renders in the stand alone 3Delight. Thus, the crashes I'm dealing with occur while I'm trying to add characters to the scene, particularly once I try to load seven or more characters, even as few as six characters in some cases (depending upon what else is in the scene).

I'm working on a 1.83 GHz Core Duo Mac Mini with 2 GB of RAM at 667 MHz bus speed, a GMA 950 graphics card with 64 MB VRAM of shared system memory.

For the record, the characters I load into my scenes are fully textured and clothed, saved as .daz files, not character presets.

Post edited by Tramp Graphics on
    edited December 1969

You are so far beyond memory limits at this point, it's not going to happen...

First you are starting out with just 2 GB of RAM...with DS, the OS and anything els (if anything else) taking a chunk of that...then you are using a graphics that has extremely low onboard RAM, so an used above that is going to eat system RAM...

Figure somewhere between 200 and 400 MB/fully clothed/texture character.

edited December 1969

So, what about the OpenGL quality slider? will adjusting that have any effect at all?

edited December 1969

So, what about the OpenGL quality slider? will adjusting that have any effect at all?

Not really...it may squeak you out a few more MB, especially since you have shared video memory, but probably not enough to get a seventh character...(maybe not even a sixth), reliably.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,862
    edited December 1969

Which figures are you using, and how are you loading them? If it's one of the older, pre-Genesis figures, and you are loading from the Poser formats area then all of the morphs get loaded - if you save a base figure as a scene (or scene subset for DS4.5) then when you load that only active morphs will be brought in, which may get you a bit more headroom.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Downsize the textures to 1*1 pixel (and change their name), DS should probably be able to handle ten figures then. Export to RIB and then replace your textures in the collected folder with the original (or somewhat reduced if even 3Delight can't handle everything).

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

I render to RIB now and do my renders in the stand alone 3Delight.

When you get these issues resolved, would love to see a tutorial or an overview of how to deal with your rib files in 3Delight! I have the freeware version and have a little trouble figuring it out...
    edited December 2012

Which figures are you using, and how are you loading them? If it's one of the older, pre-Genesis figures, and you are loading from the Poser formats area then all of the morphs get loaded - if you save a base figure as a scene (or scene subset for DS4.5) then when you load that only active morphs will be brought in, which may get you a bit more headroom.
    All I use are Genesis figures for my characters, but they all use the full set of morphs I have (except the males don't use the morphs I converted through Gen X (being female genital morphs), or at least have full access to them, namely the base morphs, M4 V4 shapes fore Genesis, Ryuu International morphs, Die Tryings 182 Morphs for Genesis, RamWolf's body morphs, Jabba's Pin-up girl morphs, Adam 001's proportion morphs, and Ooom Fooyat's facial morphs.

As far as my project, I managed to get all ten in there by turning the four lone individuals into objects and only keeping paired characters that are in physical contact with one another as figures (namely Tommie and Kageto, Marc and Maria, and Baby Chris and Grandpa Mirandez). It's still a huge file topping out as a 56.9 MB .DAZ file and the RIB file (which is currently rendering) is 756.4 MB.

Post edited by Tramp Graphics on