Real Food HD

TooncesToonces Posts: 919
edited January 2017 in The Commons

Does real food exist? Daz Diner products and items on renderosity look somewhat plastic. The only promo image of real food I've seen is in Mec4d PBS Shaders vol 2 (attached). Where did that food come from, or is it just a background image?

Since cars and people are so realistic in Daz, I figure there must be real-looking food somewhere.

Thanks!

Post edited by Toonces on

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

You can try here: https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Food_Resources

But I haven't seen much if any realistic food come out since Iray started becoming really popular. Food definitely needs to catch up to the more realistic characters and vehicles. I also think clothes need to catch up too, as clothes are often a dead "give away" in renders as well. There have been some realistic clothing items released lately, but most items are not quite "there" when it comes to realism. Oh and don't get me started on the lack of Iray realistic animals. 

Try the above link and if you reshade some of the better made models with Iray shaders you might be able to get some more realistic food. There definitely needs to be realistic Iray food made soon though. 

• Ah, those drinks, the sparkling water and the orange juice were done with shaders in that set.  Mec4D has some great liquid shaders in there for blood, chocolate milk, hot chocolate, milk, gummy bear, hard candy etc.  It's a great set.

The sandwich in that picture is probably from this set, i13 Sandwiches.  Those cinnamon roll probably came from i13 Doughnuts, also a great food set.  There is some good food in the store, but I'll admit, not enough which is why some attempt to make their own, me included.  A lot of the food that looks plastic can actually be done very well with new textures.  It's one of those things you have to play around with until you get the look that you like.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276

Ah, those drinks, the sparkling water and the orange juice were done with shaders in that set.  Mec4D has some great liquid shaders in there for blood, chocolate milk, hot chocolate, milk, gummy bear, hard candy etc.  It's a great set.

The sandwich in that picture is probably from this set, i13 Sandwiches.  Those cinnamon roll probably came from i13 Doughnuts, also a great food set.  There is some good food in the store, but I'll admit, not enough which is why some attempt to make their own, me included.  A lot of the food that looks plastic can actually be done very well with new textures.  It's one of those things you have to play around with until you get the look that you like.

Oh cool! Thank you for the links. Ironman13 is awesome! I love her stuff! I'll have to see about getting some of her food stuffs. 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited January 2017

...not only food and clothing, but ground cover (particularly grass), hair, and, skin. Mental Ray has some really nice grass shaders that look real rather than appearing as if it was flattened down under a clear sheet of terrain conforming Plexiglass. Currently  the only solution is to use geometry instead however that totally slogs down the render time.

Save for FIbremesh (which like grass geometry is render intensive) most hair in Iray doesn't look all that "real".

Skin has been problematic to the point there is an entire (and long running) thread dealing with the topic which at times has become so technical it left some people behind. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kyoto kid said:

...not only food and clothing, but ground cover (particularly grass), hair, and, skin. Mental Ray has some really nice grass shaders that look real rather than appearing as if it was flattened down under a clear sheet of terrain conforming Plexiglass. Currently  the only solution is to use geometry instead however that totally slogs down the render time.

Save for FIbremesh (which like grass geometry is render intensive) most hair in Iray doesn't look all that "real".

Skin has been problematic to the point there is an entire (and long running) thread dealing with the topic which at times has become so technical it left some people behind. 

Yeah, that thread left me behind before I even started!  I know what you mean.  :)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited January 2017
    kyoto kid said:

And most of what I've seen in MR is instanced geometry, 'fur/hair' or pretty much the same displacement methods used in 3DL...

The applied material is usually translucent or even an SSS material.

None of those are going to be any quicker.

If you know of something different, please post an example.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

The center glass is from Everyday Drinks

http://www.daz3d.com/everyday-drinks

• TooncesToonces Posts: 919

Wow, that i13 stuff is amazing compared to most of what I've seen. I have so much of her stuff -- not sure how I missed those. Probably because she is so insanely prolific. I can't see how she manages more than four hours of sleep a night. :)

• havsm said:

Wow, that i13 stuff is amazing compared to most of what I've seen. I have so much of her stuff -- not sure how I missed those. Probably because she is so insanely prolific. I can't see how she manages more than four hours of sleep a night. :)

There was a time....many years ago when I was at one point caught up with i13's productivity. But now...*shakes head* ;) 

I have a lot of food products in my runtime, but admittedly most is fruit centered with a few breads here and there. Most looks really good in Iray, fruit especially. One of the things I sometimes do is up the bump map intensity for closer renders. It seems to help with some items.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited January 2017

There's a couple of vendors at Rendo that do very good food products. I'll dig up the names and post in a few. Can't remember off the top of my head. I need to actually use those products sometime, lol. They got lost somewhere in my runtime.

EDIT: Shaaramuse3d and Exnem have some great food products. And ironman13's stuff here is great as well.

Post edited by Llynara on
    edited January 2017

Also, for groceries, Widdershins has some great products and MacLean has some wonderful things in his everyday food (3Delight) which could be shaded for Iray.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552

i3 is a group of people not a singe individual so it would be hard to keep up.

In general I find retexturing content really makes food items pop. There are food shaders in the store, that can help.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,712

I was experimenting with converting some of Exnem's food items to Iray a while ago, here' s some samples and the settings I used, it's quite simple:

http://taosoft.dk/temp/exnem_iray/index.htm

Those are some nice conversions. I'll have to play around with them. Thanks!

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,712

Note that Exnem's items are for Poser only, so the Iray conversion settings I've used for them may not work with DS 3DL items.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246

I've used them in 3DL without issue. A perfectionist would probably futz about with the spec and what all and get something better. 

There's also a vendor on Rendo named something like Pappy411. Pappy something or other anyway. Mostly has religious-based items, but there are some food models. Ghod only knows what scale he uses though. They load in enormous and need to be scaled down to something like under 5% of the original size. Definitely Poser materials (although no porcedurals), so very plasticy, but that can be dealt with.

edited January 2017

Those are great conversions, Taozen. Good job!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    mjc1016 said:
    kyoto kid said:

And most of what I've seen in MR is instanced geometry, 'fur/hair' or pretty much the same displacement methods used in 3DL...

...AoA's grass shader didn't take nearly as long to render as using acutal grass meshes to cover the same area.  There is nothing like that for Iray so rendering a large area of grass mesh in full CPU mode is like watching paint dry.

edited January 2017

Almost forgot- some of the Iray updates to old products include food, such as A Curious Tea Iray. This has Iray updates for three different sets in one: A Curious Tea, A Curious Tea: Eat Me and A Curious Tea: Drink Me. It's a PC+ item, so always very cheap, but even cheaper in the recent sales. I think I picked it up for less than $1 yesterday.

edited January 2017

Here are some other Iray sets that come with food or at least tableware: 

And a great dessert set I picked up last Valentine's Day, Sweet Temptation

• i3 is a group of people not a singe individual so it would be hard to keep up.

In general I find retexturing content really makes food items pop. There are food shaders in the store, that can help.

It is a husband/wife team.  Not a group.  :)

Ah, I'm guessing he picked the name. Although the next Iron Man is female, so who knows. :)

http://ew.com/article/2016/07/06/marvel-introduces-black-female-iron-man-riri-williams/

As for sweet temptation, that one looks excellent! It's on sale but gotta wait for budget to recover. Thanks!

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552

i3 is a group of people not a singe individual so it would be hard to keep up.

Nope, still technically a group. A group is two or more individuals. 

• i3 is a group of people not a singe individual so it would be hard to keep up.

Nope, still technically a group. A group is two or more individuals. 

I'm not going to debate semantics.  :)  

havsm said:

As for sweet temptation, that one looks excellent! It's on sale but gotta wait for budget to recover. Thanks!

I bet it will be on sale in February for Valentine's Day. I picked up quite a few "virtual goodies" around that time last year.

• Llynara said:

And a great dessert set I picked up last Valentine's Day, Sweet Temptation

Yeah, this is a great set of food.  It renders really believeably.  I love this set!  I haven't tried the new Iray updates for the Curious Tea food, yet.  I'll definitely have to put that on my list of things to explore.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited January 2017
    Llynara said:

Here are some other Iray sets that come with food or at least tableware: 

No, it does not :(. However, it's easy enough to add any shaders you have to it. I made the charger plates gold as well at the flatware and serving pieces, but made the goblets glass and the rest of the plates a plain ceramic shader. They look really good :)

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
    edited January 2017

@AllenArt Thanks for that info, Laurie. And I must say, you have some very nice Iray food and drink freebies (as well as many others) on your ShareCG account. I put some links in my studio thread here. I'd encourage people to go check them out. Great work! Thank you for sharing them with everyone.

• D.RobinsonD.Robinson Posts: 283
    edited January 2017
    kyoto kid said:
    mjc1016 said:
    kyoto kid said:

...AoA's grass shader didn't take nearly as long to render as using acutal grass meshes to cover the same area.  There is nothing like that for Iray so rendering a large area of grass mesh in full CPU mode is like watching paint dry.

So so true. I just picked up the Fairy ring...its so resource hungry it crashes the DAZ beta...and runs like a complete slug on the public build

Daniel

Post edited by D.Robinson on