Manga Style Shaders: In Progress [COMMERCIAL]

2»

Comments

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited December 1969

Perhaps, it's something I haven't considered. I did attempt to get a golden age effect by using Visual Style with CMYK colours and converting them to colour halftones in Photoshop, but unfortunately it's impossible to do a straight up CMYK render in Daz Studio, as RBG colours never convert over to CMYK like you think they should.

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,490
    edited December 1969

Do these work better with textures than your other set?

Lovely as the other set is, it's way too much of a PITA to reapply every single texture to every matzone after applying the shader.

And I never got the self-made presets to work. :S

These look cool... REALLY good... I just really hope they are a lot easier and less time consuming to use.

edited June 2012

Lovely as the other set is, it's way too much of a PITA to reapply every single texture to every matzone after applying the shader.

These look cool... REALLY good... I just really hope they are a lot easier and less time consuming to use.

I am doing everything I can to make these shaders much easier to use. Unfortunately the Shader Mixer is still largely undocumented, and Daz still have yet to get back to me concerning some of my questions.

I am pleased to announce however that since Daz Studio 4.5, shaders produced with Shader Mixer will now allow you to ctrl+click them and set the map settings to "ignore", retaining some of the original textures when being applied. You still need to reapply the textures to some of the non-standard parameters (in the case of Visual Style, the outline and ambient occlusion colours), but it should make the process a bit easier.

Also, have you read the documentation for Visual Style? There are instructions in there of how to get self-made presets (saved with the script) to work.

Post edited by TheNathanParable on
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

I am pleased to announce however that since Daz Studio 4.5, shaders produced with Shader Mixer will now allow you to ctrl+click them and set the map settings to "ignore", retaining some of the original textures when being applied. .
    This is great news...thanks for posting this info!
  • Sphinx MagooSphinx Magoo Posts: 572
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:

I am pleased to announce however that since Daz Studio 4.5, shaders produced with Shader Mixer will now allow you to ctrl+click them and set the map settings to "ignore", retaining some of the original textures when being applied. .
    This is great news...thanks for posting this info!

I just saw this too and it's great news!

It seems to work for the Diffuse maps but not for the Displacement maps yet. Still, better than nothing! ;)

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,490
    edited December 1969

I am doing everything I can to make these shaders much easier to use. Unfortunately the Shader Mixer is still largely undocumented, and Daz still have yet to get back to me concerning some of my questions.

I am pleased to announce however that since Daz Studio 4.5, shaders produced with Shader Mixer will now allow you to ctrl+click them and set the map settings to "ignore", retaining some of the original textures when being applied. You still need to reapply the textures to some of the non-standard parameters (in the case of Visual Style, the outline and ambient occlusion colours), but it should make the process a bit easier.

Also, have you read the documentation for Visual Style? There are instructions in there of how to get self-made presets (saved with the script) to work.

I did read it and tried to follow the instructions. Maybe I am misunderstanding what they do. I was trying to save presets with a texture channel so that I could reapply and either keep the texture or keep the texture channel. But when I saved the presets, it seemed it did very little.... I'd have to apply your base shader first, and then my own preset, and then alter to add the textures. It was so time consuming I pretty much gave up. :(

Glad to hear that 4.5 is a bit better, but I've been holding off on the beta candidate until all the plugins work with it. I have too many shaders and plugins that i can't function without!

So how well does this set handle the textures? Is it better? Because I would totally love this ability. Better yet if a person can be able to add more textures to the shading options- you know, like plaid or bubbles or or diagonal lines, or vertical lines, etc.

Were you the one who did a picture of manga black and white shaders with a helicopter? I think I saw you post pics of this like way back when you were just starting?? they've definitely progressed to a more clean cut manga black and white style and away from the kind of noir style, but i cant find the that thread now. I hate how messy the new forums are, I cant find anything! Oh wait I could never find anything in the old forums either! haha I'm always lost ;) (that was laughing at myself by the way and no way any bitterness towards the forums, in case I am misunderstood... I am always lost in real life and online...lol)

Apologies for any confusing things I say, I havne't had my morning coffee yet and it probably shows >_<</p>

Want to see more pics of these shaders :) how well does it work on animals? or settings? can you use these shaders in conjunction with other shaders? like pwToon or visual shaders?

edited December 1969

I did read it and tried to follow the instructions. Maybe I am misunderstanding what they do. I was trying to save presets with a texture channel so that I could reapply and either keep the texture or keep the texture channel. But when I saved the presets, it seemed it did very little.... I'd have to apply your base shader first, and then my own preset, and then alter to add the textures. It was so time consuming I pretty much gave up. :(

Are you planning on redistributing these presets? Because the preset script is only for making presets for distribution (which the documentation states). If these are only for personal use, you can use the normal Save Preset dialogue. Also, when you save a preset the textures paths are saved too, so you shouldn't have to redo the textures every time you use your own preset.

Glad to hear that 4.5 is a bit better, but I've been holding off on the beta candidate until all the plugins work with it. I have too many shaders and plugins that i can't function without!

So how well does this set handle the textures? Is it better? Because I would totally love this ability. Better yet if a person can be able to add more textures to the shading options- you know, like plaid or bubbles or or diagonal lines, or vertical lines, etc.

Both diffuse lighting and diffuse textures (not to mention bump maps and displacement maps) are all part of the equation, so any textures used will also be screentoned.

As for the screentone pattern, it's dictated by an image file, so you can create and use your own. Numerous patterns are already included, such as lines, dots, and scribbles. You can see examples of this on my tumblr, which i've linked to in the first post, but here it is again.

http://bishyt.tumblr.com/tagged/Manga-Style-Shaders

Were you the one who did a picture of manga black and white shaders with a helicopter? I think I saw you post pics of this like way back when you were just starting??

No, that certainly wasn't me. I've only been working on this shader for a month or so, and I don't typically do renders of helicopters. :P

Want to see more pics of these shaders :) how well does it work on animals? or settings? can you use these shaders in conjunction with other shaders? like pwToon or visual shaders?

It's a surface shader, so you can use it alongside other shaders. Glad you like what you see so far, and thanks for the support. :)

edited June 2012

Well, progress on the Manga shader has slowed down, namely due to a combinations of two things:

1. The Daz site/forums still being broken, and I don't really want to release my product with the site in this state.

2. My Uni work (masters degree stuff).

One little project i've done for Uni however which you guys might find interesting, is attempt to recreate Visual Style in UDK. Unfortunately as you know Visual Style relies heavily on Ambient Occlusion, which UDK doesn't really have (not as a surface shader anyway, only as a post-process shader), so this effect has to be faked with a texture.

Here's a video showing my results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1y_v-3fuk8

edited December 1969

A video demonstrating how easy it is to use the Manga Style shader. No more do you have to fiddle around with textures, because Manga Style can keep your textures intact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AakJNI8jg0

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

These look really good. Will pick up a set when available.

edited December 1969

Holy crap somebody replied. And here I was thinking everyone had forgotton about this topic.

Just to let you all know, Manga Style now allows you to apply basic colouring to the final result, allowing you to achieve Golden Age/Lichtenstein style renders.

More info here.

http://bishyt.tumblr.com/post/26648869965/paxasteriae-bishyt-so-i-had-a-sudden-stroke

And here.

http://bishyt.tumblr.com/post/26656021344/well-heres-my-attempt-at-a-lichtenstein-render

That second one is also quite good at showing the "Outlined" Opacity style, which can add outlines onto things like hair opacity maps.

• Pax AsteriaePax Asteriae Posts: 401
    edited December 1969

Are you going to update with any more renders / links to renders? :o

edited August 2012

Actually, I ended up created a new topic in the Commercial forum a week or so ago. ^^"
    I figured there was no point keeping up with this one as it had been pushed back like twenty pages, and it also seems to have suffered from that glitch that un-subscribed everyone from the topic (even me).

You can view the new topic with lovely renders here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/4566/

I guess it would be best for this topic to get locked now. Also, I only just noticed that one of the links in my previous post says "so I had a sudden stroke", missing out the "of genius" at the end. ^^"