StrangeFate's stuff: Tribal Armor & Body Paints out now!

Comments

• Yeah, I'm looking to see if there's an quick and painless way to flip the shoulders, so the ones attached to the cape would stay as they are, but the loose versions would be mirrored, so you could have either shoulder pad on either side too.

• You could benefit with an alternate liter version for that boot too,  even if you merely hide some of the surfaces with a transmap. Would depend how its built.

• Hmm good idea but the textures under the metal plates wouldn't look decent atm... might have even deleted some geo that wasn't visible, can't remember. Something to keep in mind next time.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited December 2016

Mario sent me the link to check out the files yesterday.  I did a few test renders.  Both iray and 3Delight.  The details in the armor are exquisite.  Really looks good from all angles.  And there's enough pieces that using the various parts,  delivers multiple different looks.  I have GTX980 card but for some reason I did have a problem loading the entire outfit at once to render in iray. 

These look great.  I'm not sure why, but I was having problems loading the whole thing with the everything preset into DS 4.9 in Linux (completely locks up my system), but it works perfectly in Windows.  So, I've had to do all of the promos in Windows so far.  I'll have to play with it a bit more in Linux once I'm done doing renders with it in Windows.  I want to see if I have the same problems loading the individual pieces.  I hadn't come across this problem before so I'm not sure what the cause might be.  I should note, though, that it does load fine by itself.  It just locks up my system when loading on to a figure.  Another thing I'll be trying is loading it with a different figure.

So, here is my latest render.  I couldn't resist doing a full scene so not really suitable for 1:1.3 ratio promo.  Cropping would make it a little short, but it still looks good.  I put in the proper aspect ratio and am running a render a Promo size of just the figure without all of the extra scenery cause I really like how it turned out.  Of course, that doesn't mean anyone will agree with me, but I'm rather proud of this one.  There is a little bit of postwork, but again not much.

edit: forgot to add: rendered in Iray

StrangefateTestRender03Postworked.jpg
    1800 x 1013 - 411K
    Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562

You definitely want to play up the versatility,  and the mix and match potential of the pieces included.  Different looks equates to more possibilities.  

Forgot the Kadis-cape,  also 3delight. 

Yeah, I agree FirstBastion - this set is huge! Great renders showing off all the pieces.

- Greg

• You could benefit with an alternate liter version for that boot too,  even if you merely hide some of the surfaces with a transmap. Would depend how its built.

Hmm good idea but the textures under the metal plates wouldn't look decent atm... might have even deleted some geo that wasn't visible, can't remember. Something to keep in mind next time.

Being the curious that I am I took a few minutes to see what would happen.  Hid a few surfaces just to investigate.   Maybe something to consider in an expansion pack. 

litebooots-concept.jpg
    750 x 1213 - 378K

So... when I rigged the armor I spent a significant (and sometimes frustrating) amount of time tweaking weightmaps to have as little distorsion of metal parts as possible vs. allowing for all the movements without having the original figure clipping through...

I was just playing around with mesh smoothing like Greg suggested, which turned out not to be the mesh melting thing I was expecting (but was still causing some messy geo here and there by default). So I went online, read up on it and... there's parameters for it!! I had a bit of a 'Oh C'mon' moment after being able to use Mesh smoothing on it's lowest setting not destroying any geo AND making sure it deforms properly with extreme morphs... could have saved me some time earlier!

It's obviously only news to me, but was a nice surprise, hats off Daz.

Currently tweaking the weights of the breast area of the armor too, should help with how the lower part of that armor deforms with bigger breasts.

Also noticed that the waist and belt deformed poorly when moving the pelvis back or forth... somehow missed that, will be fixed when I update the ZIP.

The name is a little misleading, but no doubt it's a powerful tool. Can be used for soft body collisions, too (especially when iterating via script: move object, apply smoothing modifier, freeze geo, rinse/repeat).

I had meant to try a different character and utilize the cape and dualies, but somehow I got sidetracked playing with Wormlip. Got some more renders cookin as I type . . .

- Greg

This is freakin' fantastic.  I'd have quite a few ideas for that set.

I hope it involves some skull-ish face paint!

New render, even took the time to bring in an environment, only to forget to pose the headdress and miss the vampire's clipping shoulder...

I guess the title would be: 'YES, you're perfectly safe here.'

She's got a swarm of undead minions . . . awesome! If you're ever interested in exploring any comic/graphic novel type things featuring your work run through my algos, let me know.

- Greg

• KnittingMommy - That's a nice setup. I would throw a few lights around her maybe, like an orange one close to the fire etc.

Algo - What would it take for you to be able to your magic ? Please don't say 6 different 3DeLight renders :)

FirstBastion - Hmm the boot doesn't look too terrible, has some good knee padding!

If all goes well tomorrow (which seldom does) I'll update the ZIP with some poses (nothing fancy) and all the fixes and changes so far.

A few last images for the day.
    In the spirit of versatility I made it so that you can use either shoulderpad on either shoulder now:

This one was only a matter of time...

KnittingMommy - That's a nice setup. I would throw a few lights around her maybe, like an orange one close to the fire etc.

Algo - What would it take for you to be able to your magic ? Please don't say 6 different 3DeLight renders :)

FirstBastion - Hmm the boot doesn't look too terrible, has some good knee padding!

If all goes well tomorrow (which seldom does) I'll update the ZIP with some poses (nothing fancy) and all the fixes and changes so far.

A few last images for the day.
    In the spirit of versatility I made it so that you can use either shoulderpad on either shoulder now:

This one was only a matter of time...

Ahh . . . two great things that go great together! Do I smell bundle?

- Greg

edited December 2016

Made some changes to Wormlip and had a little photoshoot. On to a new scene/character with the cape and swords now!

- Greg

female-ogora-04-800.png
    800 x 520 - 592K
    female-ogora-03-800.png
    800 x 520 - 585K
    female-ogora-05a-800.png
    800 x 1040 - 1M
    female-ogora-07-800.png
    800 x 1040 - 1004K
    Post edited by algovincian on

In looking at the last image closer, just noticed that the smoothing modifier appears to have pushed the backside of some of the armor geo up/out so much that it is protruding through the front side. You can see it on the mask on her cheek, as well as the strap on the back of her neck. Doh! Guess it's to be expected on such an extreme shape, but it's still a bummer. A quick trip into the polygon group editor to make a few new zones and hide some polys should do the trick.

Really wish her back muscles and shoulder blades looked better, too. In general, I like how her skin rendered and I think the image shows off the mask and the headdress well. If I can find the time, I'd love to do a custom morph.

- Greg

• I noticed the issue with the backsides being pushed through the mesh too when I was looking at stuff. In some cases I found that playing with the settings (smoothing, weight and collision iterations) fixed the issue. I additionally tweaked the mesh on the chest to avoid that, but haven't really looked at the mask...

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Wow! These are spectacular! 

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,221
    edited December 2016

One more quick investigation,  this time try to autofit Kadis to genesis 3 male. 

StrangefateKadis-genesis3male-1stBw.jpg
    710 x 539 - 85K
    Post edited by FirstBastion on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Lookin' snazzy there!

• @algovincian  Love those images, Greg!  I love Ogora's new look.  :)

@FirstBastion  Those are some great looking shots, William.  I especially love the last one with G3M.  That's really nice. I like the spotlight effect with the red light highlights.   :)

• Finished the poses today... gonna look at the Headdress and see if I can do something about those rings getting so distorted in Greg's renders, a well placed rigidity map might do the trick.

FirstBastion - Love how you got the armor on the male figure... you make it look easy :)

@algovincian  Love those images, Greg!  I love Ogora's new look.  :)

@FirstBastion  Those are some great looking shots, William.  I especially love the last one with G3M.  That's really nice. I like the spotlight effect with the red light highlights.   :)

He's definitely a but-her-face as a G3F lol. I doubt even a Knittingmommy could love that face!

In case I'm not online the next couple of days, Merry Christmas (or Happy Holidays) to everyone!

- Greg

• Merry Christmas and/or Happy Holidays to everyone here from me, too.  :)

• Same, Merry Happy Christmas Holidays to everybody!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Merry Christmas!

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,463
    edited December 2016

New render, even took the time to bring in an environment, only to forget to pose the headdress and miss the vampire's clipping shoulder...

This is quite simply one of the greatest promo images I have EVER seen! Wow! Fantastic!

Post edited by Greybro on
  • strangefate_asdf@msn.com[email protected] Posts: 751
    edited December 2016

Well thanks a lot Greybro :)

And if you don't mind me asking, just to get an idea of what people like... what do you like about it ? ...The idea, poses, composition, colors/lighting ?

Post edited by [email protected] on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited December 2016

Last image until after Christmas.  Kind of frustrated finding the perfect backdrop and I still think I missed the mark on this one.  I get very frustrated with my lack of landscaping skills or at least coming up with the perfect landscape for an image.  I ended up doing this in Bryce and adding it as a background in Gimp. It still isn't quite the look I was aiming to get, but it will have to do.  There is a little bit of post for the figure, but not much.  I have a few layers that I love how they go together. They just seem to work for me.

StrangefateTest07.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 1M
    Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    Greybro said:

This is quite simply one of the greatest promo images I have EVER seen! Wow! Fantastic!

Totally agree.  I thinks its a combination of the beautiful girl and the monsters and the reversal of what we would normally expect (girl running screaming, monsters taking over) and the angle and lighting. Great atmosphere

• This is freakin' fantastic.  I'd have quite a few ideas for that set.

You know me...:)  Well done with this, can't wait.

edited December 2016

Hope everybody is enjoying the holidays!

Haven't gotten as much time as I'd hoped to render, but did manage to continue to refine my Iray pipeline w/volumetrics while continuing to play with Kadis. Standard figure for this one (Valoria), only this time sporting the cape and a couple of swords. Here she is encountering the Blind Demon (with a custom volcanic elemental upgrade):

Not sure I'm totally satisfied with this one, but it's time to move on for now! Eventually, I'd like to add in some heat distortion. On a technical note, one of my goals was to make the addition of volumetrics a much less linear process (so they could be adjusted after rendering the 32-bit files). This little strip show shows the flexibility this allows:

The first, larger image is a combination of all of them using HDR techniques.

- Greg

xnorm-hdr-mix-800.png
    800 x 520 - 448K
    strip.png
    400 x 1300 - 658K
    Post edited by algovincian on

Last image until after Christmas.  Kind of frustrated finding the perfect backdrop and I still think I missed the mark on this one.  I get very frustrated with my lack of landscaping skills or at least coming up with the perfect landscape for an image.  I ended up doing this in Bryce and adding it as a background in Gimp. It still isn't quite the look I was aiming to get, but it will have to do.  There is a little bit of post for the figure, but not much.  I have a few layers that I love how they go together. They just seem to work for me.

Your dirty girl looks excellent, Knittingmommy! Really like the skin tone.

How do you think the image would look against a night background? The highlights that the flames are creating on her skin are great - maybe they would fit better and pop even more under the cover of night. Might be something fun to learn how to do in Bryce, too.

- Greg

• That is a lot of work you put into that image KnittingMommy, creating the perfect image from foreground to background is tough!

Algovincian - That's looking really nice, I imagine the volumetrics is just a large cube or something ebveloping the whole area ?
    I like the one with the strongest glow!

I did some quick renders too these last few days, just reusing the included poses and the same ruins as the background, trying to show a bit better that she has a good range of motion despite the big shoulderpads...nothing fancy.