StrangeFate's stuff: Tribal Armor & Body Paints out now!

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited December 2016

Can I just say this armour is stunning.  This is 3Delight, straight out of the box.  I did increase the the size of the chest plate a tiny bit as her breasts are a bit larger than the base Genesis 3.  The dial provided worked just fine, no stretching, nothing unusual.  I've got to go pick up dinner but am going to play with the material zones next. I used one of the poses in the previous weapons set and just tweaked it a bit.

Kadis Armour Strange Fate 3Delight.png
    584 x 945 - 985K
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • Ahh nice!  ...and the materials do seem to be shading nicely so far. I didn't get to test them much in 3DeLight.

edited December 2016

Flows great and lots of material zones as well. I changed the jewelry, the leg warmers under the armour and the cloth.Still 3Delight

Kadis Armour Top of the Mountain 1.png
    584 x 945 - 780K
    edited December 2016

The detail is really amazing. I'll stop now lol.

Kadis Armour Top of the Mountain 3.png
    1024 x 819 - 1M
  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562
    edited December 2016

Here's a simple first render of the Kadis Armor on a modified version of Ogora created for g3f. It's a rather extreme deviation from the base g3f shape, so I figured it might be a good test to start with:

First of all, thanks for inlcuding a couple "load all" options - these are always much appreciated. The armor fit well, and the only changes/adjustments made were to turn on mesh smoothing for the belt, harness, and chest. Easy enough to do, but perhaps you might consider turning this on by default for some pieces? After doing so, the only remaining poke-through was on the belt. This was minor as you can see, and only because DS is limited to collision with one thing in the scene per collision modifier, and the belt needed to collide with the waist, as well as the g3f figure. 

I tried to pose her to show off the armor clearly, but at the same time, also see how it handled a somewhat difficult pose (as opposed to a simple standing pose). It's awesome how the armor is beefy, but she still has a wide range of motion and freedom to move. The rigging you set up for the headdress and the waist made for quick & easy posing of both. Great job on the rigging, Mario - it's hard to believe this is your first clothing set.

As far as materials go, your Iray mats look spot on. Both the leathers and metals appear worn in all the right places from heavy use. No surprises here - same high quality as the mats on your weapon set. This is quickly becoming your calling card. 

Now, on the other hand, my materials need some work! How did that fat-ass worm end up stretched around her teeth? If it wasn't 10 degrees here, I'd be tempted to rip it off her face, throw it on a hook, and go fishin lol.

Anyway, I love how the headdress/mask add a bit of a tribal feel reminiscent of Predator, only mixed with medieval metal rather than alien technology. I'll be buying it as soon as it's available for sure. Looks and functions fantastic if you asked me!

I'll be doing some more scenes ASAP, and test the 3DL mats, too (soon). Really impressive work, Mario - thanks for allowing me an early peek.

- Greg

ogora-02-Canvas1-Beauty.png
    800 x 616 - 699K
    Post edited by algovincian on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

The armor...the render...Borris or Frank?

• No need to stop Ice Dragon :) It seems to render a bit on the bright side in 3DeLight, but without doing new, darker diffuse maps... not sure what to do about it.

Algo - Looks awesome... on an Ork, too! Hmm Preda-ork... Predork ?
    I think you're all having some problems when beefing up the chest ?  ...I tend to build models a bit too clean, which is efficient, but I did notice too that it can get problematic as there's not always enough geo to follow extreme body morphs. I thought I had fixed all the issues but I see I didn't push it far enough maybe :)
    I'll look at the mesh smoothing... if it solves the problem without melting the sharpness of the armor (which doesn't look like it from your render) then I can do that.

I'll wait a few more days and then update the Zip with fixes for everything that comes up by then.

mjc1016 said:

Sorry MJC, my mind has been a bit slow lately (even slower than usual), and I'm not sure I got the reference. You mean Boris Karloff?

- Greg

No need to stop Ice Dragon :) It seems to render a bit on the bright side in 3DeLight, but without doing new, darker diffuse maps... not sure what to do about it.

Algo - Looks awesome... on an Ork, too! Hmm Preda-ork... Predork ?
    I think you're all having some problems when beefing up the chest ?  ...I tend to build models a bit too clean, which is efficient, but I did notice too that it can get problematic as there's not always enough geo to follow extreme body morphs. I thought I had fixed all the issues but I see I didn't push it far enough maybe :)
    I'll look at the mesh smoothing... if it solves the problem without melting the sharpness of the armor (which doesn't look like it from your render) then I can do that.

I'll wait a few more days and then update the Zip with fixes for everything that comes up by then.

It's not my fault . . . I've never seen an Ork that didn't have big boobs, have you? ;)

On a more serious note, do you have any sort of a graphic logo - one that could be put on a battle standard or something?

- Greg

To me, they look like they should in 3Delight.  If you look at the first render its darker than the other two and really, its just a matter of how much light is there.  I brightened my last two scenes considerably so that may account for it looking brighter. And I did darken the fur a bit so the it may contrast a bit more as well.

• Fair enough Ice Dragon, I don't really know 3DeLight so it's hard to judge if things are good or not :)

Algo - I might, I did some fantasy battle standard stuff years back...I'll check tomorrow if I still have the PSD around, I should...

and a quickie... got the light settings wrong and... boom, but I liked the effect.

edited December 2016

Applied the included 3DL mats to the armor and then ran it through my NPR algorithms. From the looks of the output, I'd say the information (color, displacement, normals, etc.) was picked up just fine from 3DL mats - woot!

Here's what Wormlip the Preda-ork looks like wearing the Kadis Armor in 3 of the output styles:

- Greg

ink-800.png
    800 x 613 - 681K
    paint-800.png
    800 x 613 - 1007K
    bw-800.png
    800 x 613 - 421K
    Post edited by algovincian on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited December 2016

That looks great, Greg! I think I like the last one best, but they are all effective in their own way.  I always love seeing how the same image can look so dramatically different after filters and postwork is done.  :)

So, here is my first real render.  I have the original straight out of DS and the postworked version.  Not much postwork just a little bit to help her skin a little.  The armor looks great in both versions! :)

Original:

Postworked version:

StrangefateTestRender01.jpg
    1500 x 1950 - 411K
    StrangefateTestRender01Postwork.jpg
    1500 x 1950 - 343K
    Post edited by Knittingmommy on
    mjc1016 said:

Sorry MJC, my mind has been a bit slow lately (even slower than usual), and I'm not sure I got the reference. You mean Boris Karloff?

- Greg

Frank Frazetta or Boris Vallejo...as inspirational sources.

• Fantastic looking armor.  Definitely falls into the classic fantasy mold of Frazzetta or Royo or  Vallejo or Bell.  I will certainly purchase this when it is released.  Strangefate,  you did an outstanding job on this.  And the test renders look great!    If you need another tester,

mjc1016 said:
    mjc1016 said:

- Greg

Frank Frazetta or Boris Vallejo...as inspirational sources.

Frazetta sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't remember anything I've seen specifically. Google here I come . . .

- Greg

That looks great, Greg! I think I like the last one best, but they are all effective in their own way.  I always love seeing how the same image can look so dramatically different after filters and postwork is done.  :)

So, here is my first real render.  I have the original straight out of DS and the postworked version.  Not much postwork just a little bit to help her skin a little.  The armor looks great in both versions! :)

Original:

Postworked version:

Thanks, Knittingmommy. Your image looks fantastic, too. The postwork made a world of difference breathing some life into the skin. The cape in the shadows makes me want to do a scene that includes it, as well as the dual swords.

- Greg

• Thanks.  I have a render almost set to start rendering with an extreme pose now.  I love that the belt is easy to pose in extreme poses.  It isn't usually that easy to take a piece of clothing like that out of a leg.  That one loop on the belt was sitting in the leg when I posed her, but I was able to pop it right out and get it looking great for the pose.

• That's looking really good Knittingmommy, thought for a second it was Iray :)

• So... when I rigged the armor I spent a significant (and sometimes frustrating) amount of time tweaking weightmaps to have as little distorsion of metal parts as possible vs. allowing for all the movements without having the original figure clipping through...

I was just playing around with mesh smoothing like Greg suggested, which turned out not to be the mesh melting thing I was expecting (but was still causing some messy geo here and there by default). So I went online, read up on it and... there's parameters for it!! I had a bit of a 'Oh C'mon' moment after being able to use Mesh smoothing on it's lowest setting not destroying any geo AND making sure it deforms properly with extreme morphs... could have saved me some time earlier!

It's obviously only news to me, but was a nice surprise, hats off Daz.

Currently tweaking the weights of the breast area of the armor too, should help with how the lower part of that armor deforms with bigger breasts.

Also noticed that the waist and belt deformed poorly when moving the pelvis back or forth... somehow missed that, will be fixed when I update the ZIP.

• That's looking really good Knittingmommy, thought for a second it was Iray :)

Uh, yeah, that is an Iray render.  I'm not really that good in 3Delight.  Sorry I didn't indicate that when I posted.  Although, while I will give the 3Delight textures a go, don't expect much.  I'm getting better, but I still have a lot to learn in both render engines.

• strangefate_asdf@msn.com[email protected] Posts: 751
    edited December 2016

That's looking really good Knittingmommy, thought for a second it was Iray :)

Uh, yeah, that is an Iray render.  I'm not really that good in 3Delight.  Sorry I didn't indicate that when I posted.  Although, while I will give the 3Delight textures a go, don't expect much.  I'm getting better, but I still have a lot to learn in both render engines.

Lol great, the shininess got me... and for a moment I thought the 3DeLight textures were looking amazingly good!

As for Iray, I've found that using the skin from any newer figure that comes with Iray textures works a lot better than the default G3 skin.

And no need to worry much about the 3DeLight materials, Ice Dragon is doing a great job testing those.

Algo - Absolutely love the second and third images!

Post edited by [email protected] on
  • This is freakin' fantastic.  I'd have quite a few ideas for that set.

• So, I had another render almost done when I figured out I didn't really like it.  It had potential, but I needed to change some things around.  Don't you just hate it when you get 3 hours into a render and then decide you really just don't like it?  It's funny, but even in a render that I think missed the mark, Mario's armor still looked fantastic.  :)  Anyway, I changed out the set and it is rendering away.  It should be done by the time I get up in the morning.  Looks good, though, so far.

So, I had another render almost done when I figured out I didn't really like it.  It had potential, but I needed to change some things around.  Don't you just hate it when you get 3 hours into a render and then decide you really just don't like it?  It's funny, but even in a render that I think missed the mark, Mario's armor still looked fantastic.  :)  Anyway, I changed out the set and it is rendering away.  It should be done by the time I get up in the morning.  Looks good, though, so far.

Yep...

• mjc1016 said:

So, I had another render almost done when I figured out I didn't really like it.  It had potential, but I needed to change some things around.  Don't you just hate it when you get 3 hours into a render and then decide you really just don't like it?  It's funny, but even in a render that I think missed the mark, Mario's armor still looked fantastic.  :)  Anyway, I changed out the set and it is rendering away.  It should be done by the time I get up in the morning.  Looks good, though, so far.

Yep...

LOL, I figured I wasn't the only one that's happened to.  :)

edited December 2016

This is freakin' fantastic.  I'd have quite a few ideas for that set.

I hope it involves some skull-ish face paint!

New render, even took the time to bring in an environment, only to forget to pose the headdress and miss the vampire's clipping shoulder...

I guess the title would be: 'YES, you're perfectly safe here.'

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Mario sent me the link to check out the files yesterday.  I did a few test renders.  Both iray and 3Delight.  The details in the armor are exquisite.  Really looks good from all angles.  And there's enough pieces that using the various parts,  delivers multiple different looks.  I have GTX980 card but for some reason I did have a problem loading the entire outfit at once to render in iray. 

g3f-strong-skyward-oly.jpg
    800 x 600 - 214K
    gia22-3delightfirst85percent.jpg
    800 x 1294 - 312K
    kadis-21minutes-iray.jpg
    800 x 599 - 335K
    kadis-boots-800.jpg
    787 x 1275 - 362K
    kadis-closeongloves800.jpg
    800 x 724 - 411K
    edited December 2016

Nice renders FirstBastion. They bring some fresh looks with them too... I'll have to try some of that :)

Not sure what could have happened with the loading... I have a GTX970 card and usually have my 3D app open too along with Daz and so far no problems related to that.

In a few days once I update the ZIP, the preset that loads everything will be updated too, maybe that will miraculously fix the issue for you.

Post edited by [email protected] on
  • You definitely want to play up the versatility,  and the mix and match potential of the pieces included.  Different looks equates to more possibilities.  

Forgot the Kadis-cape,  also 3delight. 

kadiscape-3delightfirst85percen800.jpg
    800 x 1294 - 283K