Comments

• bicc39bicc39 Posts: 589

and...

test 3.jpg
    1016 x 746 - 65K
  • thats the tear or eye moisture

a water shader should work

Found a 'workaround", if I use a partial "eyes squint" or "eyes closed", disappears.

Minor hiccup on a great product, well worth it.

test 4.jpg
    475 x 623 - 28K
  • Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,131
    edited December 2016

I have had a look at the original texture on Victoria 3 herself and have attached a comparison of the Viewport captures for both figures.

The light area is also visible on Victoria 3.  The difference, perhaps, lies in the difference between the shapes of the two geometric meshes around the eyes and the fact that the lashes are positioned marginally differently on the two figures.  This is always a limitation when you put a texture designed for one shape onto another shape.

I have also found, when doing these UV conversions, that occasionally a seam or the texture itself does not look right on the new figure, only to discover that it didn't look right on the old figure either!

Legacy_V3_Eye_Comparison_01.jpg
    830 x 830 - 100K
    Post edited by Cayman Studios on

Thank you for your time, all should be well.

Apologies, product working so well feel embarassed for bringing subject up.

Goes without saying that the Legacy products are great investments, especially for people like me

that have huge collections. Years ago a texture set alone  from someone like"Jepe" could cost about twenty dollars.

With tools like this, especialy with the ease of using, the texture sets come alive again.

Thank you

final test.jpg
    475 x 623 - 42K
  • Glad you're finding it useful, bicc. yes  

And I'd rather that people brought up issues and problems they're having than thinking that the product is rubbish or doesn't work and then not using it again.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

I really like this new product so far, I have not had any issues with it, and for me, this is the mostly useful product Caymen Studios has created for us so far. I could get any V4/M4 and later skins at least onto Genesis 2, but until this arrived the only way to get Gen 3 skins (of which I have many) onto any Genesis figures involved remapping the skins using Texture Convertor 2. Now I have lots more skins to use on the latest figures. The following is Golden Shahara V3 (http://www.daz3d.com/golden-shahara-aging-head-texture-character-set) on G3F. I have converted all the surfaces to IRay, and used some of the IRay shader converters I have to improve them. I particularly like the fact that Caymen has included an Eye Moisture surface in addition to all the V3 surfaces, as applying a thin water shader to this really helps the eyes look good. For an old skin, I think the result looks pretty good.

Golden Shahara V3 on G3F.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 143K
  • RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799

Wow, this was a treat for sure!

Does this work well enough with any of the Stephanie 3 or Laura 3 textures? How about Aiko 3? Are you doing anything for M3/D3? :)

• Wow, this was a treat for sure!

Does this work well enough with any of the Stephanie 3 or Laura 3 textures? How about Aiko 3? Are you doing anything for M3/D3? :)

Stephanie 3 and Aiko 3 appear to work OK with it, even Michael 3!  (I will admit my ignorance here, and say I have never even heard of Laura 3.)

But I am not planning on doing a Genesis 3 Legacy UV set for M3.

Many thanks Havos, have today purchased the sahara texture set

Apologies do not not wish to "hijack" thread, but this product brought up the subject.

Is there any way to adapt the actual head morph for the v3 character to fit genesis 3.

If purchasing something else would do it...no problem.

Thank you

edited December 2016
    bicc39 said:

Apologies do not not wish to "hijack" thread, but this product brought up the subject.

Is there any way to adapt the actual head morph for the v3 character to fit genesis 3.

Thank you

You can use Dimension3D's Genesis Generation X2.  But bear in mind:

a) You will need an additional 3 add-ons: GenX2 AddOn for Genesis 2, GenX2 AddOn for Genesis 3, and (to be safe) GenX AddOn Gen3 Bundle;

b) Dimension3D's store is not currently on Sale; EDIT: You can get 60% off Genesis Generation X2 (2014 bestseller) when bought with a new release.

c) The morph transfers from Generation 3 to Genesis 3, in my limited experience, are of variable fidelity.  This is not a fault of Dimension3D's product, but a limitation of the underlying technology and the fact that Victoria 3, for example, has 72,000 vertices and G3F has 17,000.  You may be able to refine or amend any aberrations using some custom morphs, or even a modeller.

I am no expert in any of this, but I believe you can use the Transfer Utlility alone to transfer the morphs, though it is a bit of a procedure.  There are tutorials about, if you can find them!

Post edited by Cayman Studios on
    bicc39 said:

Thank you

I did as Caymen Studios describes above, ie I used Gen X2 and the relevant add on packs to move Shahara's morph to G3F. She is not identical to the V3 version, but looks similar, and naturally bends far better on G3F than on V3.

If you look at the thread in Commons where this product was announced, I posted a pic of Aiko 3's texture and morph moved to G3F. All the other Generation 3 textures (ie M3, H3 etc) should work as well, as they all use the same UV. I have attached the same scene below as I did in the other thread, only with the IRay shader tweaked a fair bit to improve them (the originals rendered too bright if you just use the default settings).

Aiko 3 and G3F 3.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 57K

Stephanie 3 and Aiko 3 appear to work OK with it, even Michael 3!  (I will admit my ignorance here, and say I have never even heard of Laura 3.)

But I am not planning on doing a Genesis 3 Legacy UV set for M3.

It is a shame there will be no equivalent for G3M as I am finding using Generation 3 skins use far less VRAM than a Genesis 3 skin, but I understand if you feel this is a minority appeal product. I can always use GenX2 to move male morphs over to G3F, but male clothing typically fits better on G3M, so it is not ideal.

All is well, totally forgot I had older version of Gen x.

Had to relearn but worked

Now to set up mass production. ( do all characters at once, assemby line, two months from now won't have a clue

how they were done)

Thank you all very productive few days

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,557

here is Irina from Blackhearted for Stephanie 3 with normal and basic IRAY shaders on G3F

v3togf3testIrina2.jpg
    1204 x 870 - 592K
  • RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799

Okay, so it looks like Gen 3 works fine on G3F, but as Havos points out, even with wounders of GenX2, the clothing rigging difference between G3F and G3M can be troublesome. I don't own any of these UV sets yet, but I hear that the geographs don't Autofit well over to G3M. If a G3M version would come-out, I'd definitely go out of my way to finally start buy them. ;)

• Hi All,

I tried loading Lilith 6 textures in G3F but I have the following problem with the right arm textures:Lilith 6 issue

This affects only the right arm/hand area... left side is ok.

Anyone else had the same issue? Any suggestions on a fix?

• Adeirjr, Lilith 6 has her own independent UVs which are different from the Genesis 2 Base Female UVs or the Victoria 6 UVs.  This means that the texture cannot be applied using either the G2F or V6 Legacy UV products.  However you can convert the Lilith 6 texture to either the G2F Base or V6 UVs by using DAZ Studio's own Map Transfer facility, and from there you can use the Legacy product to apply the skin onto Genesis 3.  RobotHeadArt has produced a very useful tutorial (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/95701/tutorial-converting-custom-genesis-2-uvs-to-genesis-3) for just that purpose.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Adeirjr, Lilith 6 has her own independent UVs which are different from the Genesis 2 Base Female UVs or the Victoria 6 UVs.  This means that the texture cannot be applied using either the G2F or V6 Legacy UV products.  However you can convert the Lilith 6 texture to either the G2F Base or V6 UVs by using DAZ Studio's own Map Transfer facility, and from there you can use the Legacy product to apply the skin onto Genesis 3.  RobotHeadArt has produced a very useful tutorial (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/95701/tutorial-converting-custom-genesis-2-uvs-to-genesis-3) for just that purpose.

Excellent! :D Thank you for the link to the tutorial! 

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    Havos said:
    bicc39 said:

Thank you

I did as Caymen Studios describes above, ie I used Gen X2 and the relevant add on packs to move Shahara's morph to G3F. She is not identical to the V3 version, but looks similar, and naturally bends far better on G3F than on V3.

Would converting the V3 morph for Genesis 1 give better results than converting from V3? https://www.daz3d.com/gen-3-iconic-shapes-for-genesis. I had converted the original She-Freak (a V3 character) to Genesis, then later converted from there to G2F and G3F as those figures were released. They (and the Generation 4 She-Freak 4) look good to my eyes.

riftwitch said:
    Havos said:
    bicc39 said:

Thank you

Would converting the V3 morph for Genesis 1 give better results than converting from V3? https://www.daz3d.com/gen-3-iconic-shapes-for-genesis. I had converted the original She-Freak (a V3 character) to Genesis, then later converted from there to G2F and G3F as those figures were released. They (and the Generation 4 She-Freak 4) look good to my eyes.

I did not try using the V3 clone from genesis, but I would have thought a direct transfer from the original V3 shape would be no worse. Needless to say what small differences there were in the transfer I did, were not an issue for me.

• wargiswargis Posts: 142

Hello, Cayman Studios! Thanks for your Legacy UVs, but I feel they do really need one more addon - UVs for Genesis Base, Male and Female, because there are many products, uv-mapped and textured for Genesis like HFS Races for Genesis and other similar monsters and aliens. Their morphs are convertible for Genesis 3, but with Legacy UVs for M5 and V5 I need to convert all their body maps to V5 or M5 accordingly, and this is double work. Of course, sometimes Genesis products have mapping of V4, but basic UV mapping occurs much more often. And I have a question about Kids 4? It has it's own UV map, not V4 or M4, and also should be converted to M5 or V5. I think it would be great to have separate Legacy UV addons for G3M and G3F, for Kids 4 and for Genesis Base and I suspect it is quite possible. I hope one day we'll see them in your shop, so far it's only my suggestion for future products.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    wargis said:

Hello, Cayman Studios! Thanks for your Legacy UVs, but I feel they do really need one more addon - UVs for Genesis Base, Male and Female, because there are many products, uv-mapped and textured for Genesis like HFS Races for Genesis and other similar monsters and aliens. Their morphs are convertible for Genesis 3, but with Legacy UVs for M5 and V5 I need to convert all their body maps to V5 or M5 accordingly, and this is double work. Of course, sometimes Genesis products have mapping of V4, but basic UV mapping occurs much more often. And I have a question about Kids 4? It has it's own UV map, not V4 or M4, and also should be converted to M5 or V5. I think it would be great to have separate Legacy UV addons for G3M and G3F, for Kids 4 and for Genesis Base and I suspect it is quite possible. I hope one day we'll see them in your shop, so far it's only my suggestion for future products.

Do you mean G2F base?  Genesis Basic Female uses V4 and Genesis Basic Male uses M4 UVs.

wargis said:

wargis, it is true that there are some omissions from the Legacy UVs series (kids and monsters!), but I had to draw the line somewhere.   Each one of these UV conversions takes about 2-3 weeks, and I have to try to gauge whether the demand will justify the time spent.  And as it is possible to convert textures within the generations using the Map Transfer facility , there is a way to get these textures onto Genesis 3, even though it may mean a bit of work.

• wargiswargis Posts: 142

wargis, it is true that there are some omissions from the Legacy UVs series (kids and monsters!), but I had to draw the line somewhere.   Each one of these UV conversions takes about 2-3 weeks, and I have to try to gauge whether the demand will justify the time spent.  And as it is possible to convert textures within the generations using the Map Transfer facility , there is a way to get these textures onto Genesis 3, even though it may mean a bit of work.

Thank you, Cayman Studios. I hope when you are less busy, you' ll devote some time to the Legacy UVs project again. Meanwhile, for me this Map Transfer tool works far from ideal and sometimes can even crash with multiple textures, so it's a little frustrating.  I found that a Blender way of rebaking textures from Genesis Base to other UVs is even more reliable than Map Transfer, although it's longer and  I wouldn't like to use both methods for big texture sets with 10-12 head maps with various makeup and more then three body maps. Actually, map transferring is acceptable for a single character which has about 9 main texture maps in whole, but latest Genesis characters had much more texture options, apart from a great lot of partial texture packages for G1, like eyes (Terror Eyes and other similar products), which could be used with Genesis 3 too with corresponding Legacy UVs. So I hope you will keep your work with Legacy series, it's a really unreplaceable  tool. Good luck!

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

Thanks for the link, Cayman Studios. 

Love your products. Along with GenX2 and some of Zev0's products, they really extend the value of a Studio content library in a way that offers the most bang for the buck of any content in the stores. 

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,659

Here are Sol and Calum textures.The ones with good bump, specularity and/or normal maps convert really well to Iray.

Calum.jpg
    1200 x 1500 - 237K
    sol hero 4.jpg
    1200 x 1500 - 320K