Daz Content Management Service not working on MAC - Help!

ForestQueenForestQueen Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I am running Daz 4.5 on a Mac OS X (10.7.4). I recently installed Daz onto this computer and opened it yesterday to find that all of the smart content was missing. When I open the program, the default genesis figure is there, but everything else is gone and if I delete the genesis, I cannot put it back. After looking at several other forum posts on this topic, I attempted several things including checking if the content management service was running, which according to my activity monitor, it is not, and restarting the computer. I tried the "Start content management service" in the service folder and then I uninstalled and reinstalled the program twice. I am really at a loss for what else to do.

Any suggestions? :(

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

When you reinstall DAZ Studio, it does not reinstall the CMS, you need to uninstall it yourself first before that will happen.

I don't use a Mac, so I don;t know if you will lose any categories that you have set up yourself. If you don;t use Categories, then that should not be a problem.

You can also find your content in the Content Library pane whether the CMS is running or not.

• ForestQueenForestQueen Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Oh, thank you. At least I can still use the content!

I know you said you do not use a MAC, but do you know how to uninstall the CMS and reinstall it? When I uninstalled Daz and reinstalled it, it did prompt me to reinstall CMS and said that it was installing it. I couldn't find any uninstall files for the CMS...

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I am not sure if the Mac works the same way as a PC in respect of the CMS.

In Windows we have an Uninstall option in the DAZ 3D folder as shown below. The Mac installer may work a different way entirely for all I know, but if it does, then the CMS not running must have some other cause.

We will need to try to get a Mac user in here to help you out.

Untitled-1.jpg
    354 x 758 - 250K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I am not sure if the Mac works the same way as a PC in respect of the CMS.

In Windows we have an Uninstall option in the DAZ 3D folder as shown below. The Mac installer may work a different way entirely for all I know, but if it does, then the CMS not running must have some other cause.

We will need to try to get a Mac user in here to help you out.

It works the same, but the files aren't in the same places...there's another thread about where the files reside on a Mac. But word of warning Finder won't find them, by default.

I really think the mods need to find the clearest description of where and how to uninstall the CMS on a Mac and then sticky it.

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

Hi there,

Thought I would jump in and offer a hand.

So here are the steps I have used in the past to re-install DAZ and fix DB issues. This is based on my setup on SnowLeopard but it should work for you.

To start and stop the CMS:
    Applications/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio 64-Bit/service/

Then if you would like to do a clean removal of the DB as well you need to trash the following:

Library/DAZ 3D/Content Management Service/databases/

I have found that simply resetting the DB and re-importing the Metadata from within DAZ, seems to resolve a lot of issues. I have also determined that alot of content is there, just not where you might expect.

Hope this helps out.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,511
    edited December 1969

First, depending on where you installed the content manager server, things are a little different.

In the same folder in your Applications directory as DAZStudio.app is located, you find a directory named service.
    There you have two Applescriptlets:
    Start DAZ Content Management Service
    Stop DAZ Content Management Service

Always stop before you start.

If you know where you installed the database itself and the server application, there is a directory there called vlogs.
    In it are logfiles and warning files (warnings are often written when you do db-maintainence from DS, often harmless stuff, ignore those.
    The interesting file(s) are:
    DAZ Content Management Service_timestamp.log. A new file is created when he CMS is started, and it will look like this in the beginning of the file:

/*************************************************************************************/
    Mon Dec  3 2012 21:36:20.352596 DAZ Content Management Service (4.8.1, Kernel 4.8.1 )
    Licence license_emb_4422548148518942 is registered to DAZ3D.
    Valid until 9999-12-31. Subscription valid until 2013-02-08.
    Maximum number of connections: 5

This way you can see if your CMS is really started or not.

One thing that others already have said is to use DS to clean up the database and reimport the metadata. Another thing you might try is to do the following:
    (1) Stop the CMS
    (2) In the Databases folder there is a file named ContentDB.ind, it's the indexfile. You can remove that file, then start the CMS again, and the database will rebuild the index from the data and the definitions, as a corrupt index will make your databse look good but be useless.

Please yell of you have more questions. There is a thread here ( http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10533/ ) where I explained a lot of the CMS on Mac OS X for another user. You might find something there too.

/ Totte