Do not render my model in Carrara or any other software without my permission, WTF?

WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,794
edited June 2012 in Carrara Discussion

I am beta testing an unnamed (shshsh it is a secret) software pipeline that enables me to get animated meshes out of it in FBX form into other programs inc Carrara.
have been posting renders on YouTube.
I cannot reveal details as it is on a secret beta forum but came across an interesting attitude by one vendor in that software suite which differs from ANYTHING I have EVER encountered at Daz 3D among vendors!
he explicitly does NOT want his mesh rendered in ANY other software except the one he made it for unless one seeks his permission.
and this is content he has sold!
he went on to say that he would imagine Daz content makers would feel the same way!
I corrected him!
as I pointed out EVERY vendor here who's work I have rendered in said unnamed software has been thrilled to see me using their model which I purchased to produce rendered artwork!!!
often asking about the program and showing interest in it.
While redistributing mesh and textures a no no, and some freebie stuff non-commercial only this is the first time I have encountered a bought model being restricted to use in only one 3D software suite.

needless to say, I am glad I never bought any if his content, much less dared render it in Carrara!

I just had to share this because we do not know how good we have it at Daz 3D!!!

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Comments

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

It wasn't a Cow model, was it?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

It wasn't a Cow model, was it?

Darn! So the Millennium Cow can only be rendered in Etch-A-Sketch?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,794
    edited December 1969

no Sockratease! just the work of someone full of cow pats!!
    he also has a habit of frequently posting threads praising himself that no-one replies to!
    you meet some funny characters on other 3D forums!

funny thing is I never considered wanting to render any of his stuff, only doing what I am for the beta test.
    I much prefer nicer Daz vendor made models!

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2012

Oh how I wish whatever software it is wasn't beta. I'm curious to see this guy's self-praise. I could use a good chuckle. :P

Although, he'd hate me. I'd probably render his stuff in every program I can think of, including Photoshop Extended, just to be a smartass. :lol:

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • 3DProclivity3DProclivity Posts: 538
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    Oh how I wish whatever software it is wasn't beta. I'm curious to see this guy's self-praise. I could use a good chuckle. :P

Although, he'd hate me. I'd probably render his stuff in every program I can think of, including Photoshop Extended, just to be a smartass. :lol:

Sideways and upside down to boot! *evil grin*

In fact, I'd render renders of his models holding other renders of his models. lol

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:

In fact, I'd render renders of his models holding other renders of his models. lol
    LMFAO

Now you're talkin'!

edited December 1969

yeah since then he said he did not want to see his works in weird videos
    definately a reference to my art
    he needn't worry, no danger now of me EVER buying his products!

• ScytharScythar Posts: 127
    edited December 1969

I told you never to tell anyone bout me...
    :)

• adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

It is common in the 3D market place that a license has to be bought for each software program that a model will be used in.
    Many stores will charge a bundle price for a multi use license.
    Even at Daz you are only buying a licence to use a model that has many restrictions on it's use.

• LoaarLoaar Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

adzan said:
    It is common in the 3D market place that a license has to be bought for each software program that a model will be used in.
    Even at Daz you are only buying a licence to use a model that has many restrictions on it's use.

Ive seen people only provide one format for a model, and sell other formats (Vue, 3ds etc) as separate products, but I've never seen a licence that forbids the use of a model to only one software. Considering how many software packages come with exporters for various other softwares it all seems a bit stupid.

Maybe I just don't buy enough models from other marketplaces?

edited December 1969

Ive seen single user and single workstation licenses, but never anything as restrictive as this!

I should re-release my Fractal Freebies with the restriction that they may only be used if a Cow is featured prominently in the image.

cowbulb.gif
    640 x 480 - 976K
  • EleleElele Posts: 1,097
    edited June 2012

:bug:
    That's cow abuse!
    What has the world come to... Hitting cows in the head with fractal art >:(

PS: :-)

Post edited by Elele on
    edited December 1969

this thread has crashed my Android browser 3X!!!
    I think it is Sockratease's cow!!!

edited June 2012

Elele said:
    :bug:
    That's cow abuse!
    What has the world come to... Hitting cows in the head with fractal art >:(

PS: :-)

You got it all wrong!

The Cow likes it!

In reality, this is Mandelbulb Abuse.

A far more heinous crime.

this thread has crashed my Android browser 3X!!!
    I think it is Sockratease's cow!!!

Again - you got it backwards!

It's not the Cow crashing the thread - it's the Mandelbulb!!

It's a very high poly object...

Post edited by Sockratease on
    edited December 1969

on Windows IE on my desktop now, the Daz 3D forum kept crashing my Android browser!!!!

• 3DLust3DLust Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

adzan said:

I don't think it's common at all - if you have some examples that would be helpful :)

• 3DLust3DLust Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

Ive seen single user and single workstation licenses, but never anything as restrictive as this!

I should re-release my Fractal Freebies with the restriction that they may only be used if a Cow is featured prominently in the image.

I love cows in space!

• FifthElementFifthElement Posts: 569
    edited December 1969

adzan said:

Sorry, this is not common at all, especially on pro market (for big boys, like LW, 3D Studio Max or Maya), as a matter of fact, the more restrictions the less of the chance that company (or individual) is gonna buy the model, pro products are always bundles of multiple formats for customers convenience (otherwise they are not pro)...

I would really like to see a render of the model in question, maybe (if my skills are sufficient) I could model very similar freebie, nothing would make me happier (it would not be my first time, lol) :lol:

edited December 1969

No 5th element, your models are superiour to anything in this lowpoly GPU reltime render optimised program so no need to bother.
    I actually have no wish to render ANY of their content in Carrara, only doing it to beta test.
    I mostly find ways to get Daz content in!
    Just got a bit irked when he said not to ever do it with any of HIS stuff but I do not have any of it so really no problem!
    The attitude was something I wished to share as it is so very different to what we have here.
    Most stuff including his is DRM protected and unexportable anyway, avatar static meshes in tpose CAN be exported as obj not rigged for vertex tweaking but he does not like his superiour meshes being tweaked either as mention randomly unsolicited on an open forum thread where I showed how to do it in Carrara!

• KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

. .. The attitude was something I wished to share as it is so very different to what we have here. Most stuff including his is DRM protected and unexportable anyway, avatar static meshes in tpose CAN be exported as obj not rigged for vertex tweaking but he does not like his superiour meshes being tweaked either as mention randomly unsolicited on an open forum thread where I showed how to do it in Carrara!

I realize you can't say who this was or what forum it was in, but if you know what store he's selling from I'd be interested (if only to avoid someplace that allows those licensing restrictions on products).
    edited December 1969

not Daz/Poser software so do not worry, iClone actually.

edited December 1969

I don't really want to compromise a confidential discussion on a private forum, so not revealing details publically here, just discussing the concept of limiting use of a model to one software suite,
    this could also apply to gaming assets
    I believe a lot of it only can be used in that game platform ie Unity, Unreal, Cryengine etc
    am interested to hear opinions and experience if any.

edited December 1969

3DLust said:

I love cows in space!

Interesting concept.

I've never made love in space (nor to a Cow, contrary to public opinion polls), but I bet the zero gravity could make it rather ... challenging?

edited December 1969

adzan said:

While I've seen the stores that make you purchase each version of a model, Daz does not have as strict restrictions as you might be thinking. The only restriction is that you cannot distribute the mesh. You can import it into any program you damn well please, make animations, 2D art, etc. You can sell your works, but again, as long as you are not distributing the actual mesh. This is why Daz and Rawart have game licenses up for purchase. Games require you to distribute the mesh.
  • KickAir 8PKickAir 8P Posts: 1,865
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    adzan said:

While I've seen the stores that make you purchase each version of a model, Daz does not have as strict restrictions as you might be thinking. The only restriction is that you cannot distribute the mesh. You can import it into any program you damn well please, make animations, 2D art, etc. You can sell your works, but again, as long as you are not distributing the actual mesh. This is why Daz and Rawart have game licenses up for purchase. Games require you to distribute the mesh.
    I'm pretty sure that's true of all (if not, almost all) stores selling content set up for use in DAZStudio and/or Poser, isn't it? Here, Rendo, CP, RDNA, etc -- if I wanna use 'em in Blender or whatever there's no legal reason why I can't. I've seen merchants at Rendo selling DS/Poser-ready versions of something they're also selling Vue versions of, but that's an ease-of-use issue -- the license never says that I can't use the Vue versions in DAZStudio or vice versa, I just won't be getting the specific set-up features the merchant added to each.
  • JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,872
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:

LMAO!!! You're sooo funny! :)

• chikako_8af55a8a68chikako_8af55a8a68 Posts: 83
    edited December 1969

Loaar said:
    Ive seen people only provide one format for a model, and sell other formats (Vue, 3ds etc) as separate products, but I've never seen a licence that forbids the use of a model to only one software. Considering how many software packages come with exporters for various other softwares it all seems a bit stupid. Maybe I just don't buy enough models from other marketplaces?

That is strange. For example, we license models by format, and when people license directly from us, they also get the 3DS version too, and then leave it to the limitations of software to work it out. We license our .max files only as a part of our PRO license (which includes real time playback rights). However nothing stops anyone from importing the 3DS version into 3D Studio MAX if they want. Licensing should have some correlation with usage, as its through usage that one can gain expanded value. We only have two types of license: ART and PRO. That keeps it simple.

Ive seen some really weird, obscure types of license - if a vendor is really clueless on licensing, then don't license from them. If they can mess up a license, they can mess up support, make crazy demands later, etc.

edited December 1969

not Daz/Poser software so do not worry, iClone actually.

Wendy - I think what you are talking about is the iClone 3D Exchange license.

Boiling it all down, if you build a model using 3D Exchange, you are locked in several different ways. You cannot sell your iClone character model outside of their store for example. iClone is a really neat product that is hobbled by really terrible licensing terms.

Now, there is a solution for that, and I will share :-)

You build and rig your model in another software (and/or license models for it) that can export to iClone supported format. Then as needed, you export on your own, for your own use.

iClone is really an end of pipeline product anyway.

edited December 1969

yes, it was an iclone vendor but not bringing this up to cause issues about them and their software,
    only the concept of models being only for use in one software by demand of their seller
    it is the main reason I do not use very much iClone content in iClone BTW
    I want to use my purchases in ALL my software depending on what I want to do.
    For example, I recently discovered Houdini which has cool fluids and imports Daz figures animated as FBX, (and other inc secret beta stuff) would love to learn how to make fluid sims with them as part of a video, would not render my whole movie in it, just that bit, and so on.

edited December 1969

yes, it was an iclone vendor but not bringing this up to cause issues about them and their software,
    only the concept of models being only for use in one software by demand of their seller.

They may simply be repeating what they are required to repeat as a part of their license, having produced their product with 3D Exchange.