Why Aren't My M4 Skin Textures Working on Genesis in Poser 9?

FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,038
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I thought skin textures made for M4 would fit figures created with Genesis. I imported Genesis into Poser 9. In Poser I try to apply M4 skin textures, and none of them fit. All of them are distored (like the black of the nostrils appears on the side of the nose of the figure), or the texture splits appart at the seams and there are big gaps of non-texture visible. These M4 textures I have are the Poser versions of the textures. The figure is Genesis. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Are you using the right UV mapping mode for genesis ? I gather you can change the way it is uv mapped, to equate with the skin that your are using, so M4 skin would need Genesis to be in M4 UV mapping mode.

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,984
    edited December 1969

Mec4d.com has a free set of UV switching presets for use on Genesis in Poser. Apply the M4 UV switching preset before applying your M4 texture.

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,884
    edited December 1969

Go to the following link

http://www.mec4d.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=86

Mec4D had produced a very handy set of material setting for Poser that chance the UV layout prior to applying a texture to Genesis.

It should sort out the above issue.

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

Go to Daz Genesis in your Materials folder, there you will find Sample Jeremy, Sample Lana and Sample Child. Apply Sample Jeremy and it will switch Genesis to M4 UVs, then you can apply any M4 MAT pose and it will work properly, Sample Lana = V4, Sample Child = K4

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,815
    edited December 2012

The Mec4D scripts have the advantage of not loading more textures you won't use, so they would be preferable. Note that you need to manually set the UVs only if you are using Poser materials - if the item has .duf presets with companion files then those should set the UV set before applying the (hopefully Poser-optimised) materials.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,038
    edited December 1969

Thanks all! I downloaded the MEC4D script and it works beautifully. Now the question is, how do I convert more than one texture to use on the same figure. For example, I use the MEC4D script to convert a M4 Poser skin texture to use on Genesis in Poser, but now, how do I add the M4 Displacement Maps - which would have to be converted too?

edited December 1969

The UV set is a setting for the whole material, it isn't a setting for the texture as it is in Lightwave or modo, so you can't mix different mapping on the same zone (you can use different maps on different material zones on a single figure). You could use Texture Converter 2 with the Michael 4 and Victoria 4 plugins to literally convert the maps, of course.

edited December 1969

You could use Texture Converter 2 with the Michael 4 and Victoria 4 plugins to literally convert the maps, of course.

Is there a Genesis plugin for Texture Converter 2? I can't find it.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,557
    edited December 1969

Fauvist said:
    You could use Texture Converter 2 with the Michael 4 and Victoria 4 plugins to literally convert the maps, of course.

No, but why do you need one. didn't you get the M4 map to work? the MEC4D script doesn't convert the textures, it should only create the texture layout for the figure, which means any M4 texture now works and then in the material room you can apply any of the other M4 textures such as disp, spec, etc..

edited December 1969

Fauvist said:

No, but why do you need one. didn't you get the M4 map to work? the MEC4D script doesn't convert the textures, it should only create the texture layout for the figure, which means any M4 texture now works and then in the material room you can apply any of the other M4 textures such as disp, spec, etc..

Well, I'm confused. The M4 map worked, but I want to use a displacement map in addition, and Richard wrote: "The UV set is a setting for the whole material, it isn’t a setting for the texture as it is in Lightwave or modo, so you can’t mix different mapping on the same zone (you can use different maps on different material zones on a single figure). You could use Texture Converter 2 with the Michael 4 and Victoria 4 plugins to literally convert the maps, of course."

He seems to be saying I can't mix different maps for the same zone - and you seem to be saying that it's no problem.

edited December 1969

Sorry, I misread your post - the figure is using the M4 mapping now so any M4 map will fit. What you can't do, and what it misunderstood you to be asking, is use and M4 map for diffuse and a V4 map for specular on the same material zone.

• edited December 1969

The other easy way with not loading additional scripts or materials:
    at start load not the "Genesis" figure but "Basic Male" figure that should be at same folder.
    It'll load Genesis with Basic male slider set to 1( you can drop it and set M4 to 1) and ready for M4 materials. :smirk: