Animation club Week #4 starting, Story Decided . Tango Alpha's Sea Escape story.

mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
edited December 2016 in Carrara Discussion

Hey all,

The Animation Club for Carrara Users just finished its 3rd movie and we are ready to start our 4th project and are looking for the storyline for our movie.  If you don't know what the Animation club is all about, in short it is a group effort by Carrara Users to create a movie together. It is an opportunity to participate in the many facets of making a movie and improve your skills at the same time. The skills could range from concept art, modeling,animation to special fx,video editing and soundwork. Whatever you want to do will probably be needed just give a shout on what you want to help out with..

Our past projects were.

Week #3 , Cactus Corner Thread  and here is the  final movie

Week #2 , Spooky Nite Thread  and here is the Spooky Nite final movie.

Week #1  , The Final Gesture thread and the final movie.

We also did Bang which wasn't totally finished.  Last draft of the movie.

Sooo,,,  If  you have an idea for a short, simple animation that you would like see brought to life , please post it here.   We do have a story that we could do that was posted by TangoAlpha during the last project, maybe a little difficult but would be very interesting to do.  TangoAlphas Story

Looking forward to your ideas or comments on if we should do TangoAlphas story.

Project Stages or Milestones.

1.  A story to animate - a simple story is all that is required.

2. A storyboard - This can be text only, sketches or even video if you want. This is a description of each of the shots in the animation describing how you see the shot playing out, this really helps our the animators and gives a clear idea of what shots we need to create the final animation. Here is a link to a blank storyboard created by Antara, and another storyboard optioin. for you guys to use.

3. Modeling- Once we have the story selected we can decide on what models we will need, there will be a list of models that we will need posted here.. We also do have a Animation Club Model Database were you can download models from previous animations , this should grow over time and supply us with models we can use in our animations.

Also, once you are done modeling something you can upload it to this thread, post a link to your favorite file hosting site(dropbox etc.) or you can also upload it to the ACCU's current project models folder. Just let us know when your model is done with a link where it can be downloaded, an image also doesn't hurt to show what the model looks like..

4. Scenes building- complete carrara scenes will need to be done as per the storyboard. This will involve someone putting together the models into one file to create the scenes .

5.Animating- Once the scenes are done people can choose which storyboard panels they want to animate. Members should just say which panels they want to animate and we will keep a list here.

6.Rendering - Once the scenes are animated, the carrara files can be uploaded or the rendered animation can  be uploaded. Last time Dart rendered everything.

7. Compositing/sound/editing/credits. - One person will need to get there hands on the Rendered scenes and put the movie together.

8. Final animation posted for everyone to see. 

Some of these Milestones will be going on at the same time and overlapping but this is a rough order of the process to create our animation.

Post edited by mmoir on

Comments

• mmoirmmoir Posts: 821
    edited December 2016

StoryBoard Information will be posted here.

Here is the storyboard in text format by TangoAlpha. If somebody wants to draw up a storyboard of the text , go for it. 

Scene 1.

Interior. Night. A cafeteria, but the windows are round and small. We're on a ship. Our heroes are sitting around a table, eating & drinking.

The lights flicker. Plates slide across the table & fixtures swing about. Stuff smashes to the floor as the ship sways. A klaxon sounds. Our heroes rise in alarm and rush from the room.

Scene 2.

A narrow Corridor. Pipes etc run along the ceiling. Red lights are flashing, there's chaos. Our heroes make for the bulkhead door at the far end, open it, a deluge of water rushes in.

Scene 3.

Exterior. Night. Lifeboat. Lots of sea spray, debris etc The ship is leaning perilously. Our heroes climb inside the lifeboat, release the lines and it drops to the foamy water below.

Scene 4:

Exterior. Close up on boat bobbing on calm sea. Camera pulls back to reveal empty ocean.

Scene 5.

Exterior. Day. The boat washes up on a sandy shore. Our heroes climb out. They are safe.

Just uploaded the Storyboard in pictures to show the shots we will need.

StoryboardTangoAlphaSheet1.jpg
    1800 x 1013 - 253K
    StoryboardTangoAlphaSheet2.jpg
    1500 x 844 - 187K
    StoryboardTangoAlphaSheet3.jpg
    1500 x 844 - 157K
    Post edited by mmoir on
    edited December 2016

Modeling Information will be posted here

What we will need for models.

- the cafeteria room of the ship.

-cafeteria tables, chairs bench etc.

-swinging light fixtures.

-plates,glasses, spoons etc. Some breakable.

-clothes for 3 or 4 characters.

-if we don't use Genesis figures we will need some figure models.

- corridor with end bulkhead door.

- lifeboat

- lifejacket

- part of the top deck of the ship.

- bit of a beach landscape.

I am sure this list will grow but if you want to start with something on this list or something you think will go with the animation  that would be great.

Post edited by mmoir on

Animation Information will be posted here

No suggestions on what animation you want to do next. I have been anxious to start something. smiley

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

There is always @TangoAlpha's suggestion from the last one

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1766516/#Comment_1766516

if the animation is to hard ( any animation is to hard for me lol ) then maybe adapt it to a spaceship theme maybe... cool

That was what I was leaning towards doing if everyone is game for it.  What do people think?

Stezza said:

There is always @TangoAlpha's suggestion from the last one

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1766516/#Comment_1766516

if the animation is to hard ( any animation is to hard for me lol ) then maybe adapt it to a spaceship theme maybe... cool

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

I am out of action until next Wednesday, but can contribute after that.

edited December 2016

Diomede,  sounds fine.

Since there are no other story ideas we can do AlphaTango's story.

TangoAlpha, In your story , what kind of ship is this? Wood or metal?

Here is AlphaTango's story.

Scene 1.

Interior. Night. A cafeteria, but the windows are round and small. We're on a ship. Our heroes are sitting around a table, eating & drinking.

The lights flicker. Plates slide across the table & fixtures swing about. Stuff smashes to the floor as the ship sways. A klaxon sounds. Our heroes rise in alarm and rush from the room.

Scene 2.

A narrow Corridor. Pipes etc run along the ceiling. Red lights are flashing, there's chaos. Our heroes make for the bulkhead door at the far end, open it, a deluge of water rushes in.

Scene 3.

Exterior. Night. Lifeboat. Lots of sea spray, debris etc The ship is leaning perilously. Our heroes climb inside the lifeboat, release the lines and it drops to the foamy water below.

Scene 4:

Exterior. Close up on boat bobbing on calm sea. Camera pulls back to reveal empty ocean.

Scene 5.

Exterior. Day. The boat washes up on a sandy shore. Our heroes climb out. They are safe.

--

Inspired by Tintin cartoons over the years, the shipwreck scene from Life of Pi, Titanic etc. I've kept it vague so there's plenty to flesh out: who are the characters? Are they crew? passengers? prisoners even? What kind of ship? Fishing boat, tramp steamer, cargo ship, liner, warship? (Or spaceship even?)

Might be a bit long to do in one week, so easy enough to split into scenes and do them one at a time. There's also scope to insert extra cutaways - storm, bits of falling rigging etc...

Post edited by mmoir on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I had imagined a mid-20th century tramp steamer, along the lines of the Karaboudjan from Tintin (an excuse to watch the Tintin movie maybe? wink) You don't really need to see it - most of it can be done thouugh suggestions - portholes instead of windows, tray lips on the tables, rusty bulkheads with lines of rivets  etc. The lifeboat could be any small wooden rowing type boat.

But feel free to make it your own . . .

Okay , Thanks.

I had imagined a mid-20th century tramp steamer, along the lines of the Karaboudjan from Tintin (an excuse to watch the Tintin movie maybe? wink) You don't really need to see it - most of it can be done thouugh suggestions - portholes instead of windows, tray lips on the tables, rusty bulkheads with lines of rivets  etc. The lifeboat could be any small wooden rowing type boat.

But feel free to make it your own . . .

Okay , I guess we have settled on TangoAlpha's story and we can start the modeling process . Below is a short list of some of the models we will need.

Model/Assets we will need for the animation.

- the cafeteria room of the ship.

-cafeteria tables, chairs bench etc.

-swinging light fixtures.

-plates,glasses, spoons etc. Some breakable.

-clothes for 3 or 4 characters.

-if we don't use Genesis figures we will need some figure models.

- corridor with end bulkhead door.

- lifeboat

- lifejacket

- part of the top deck of the ship.

- bit of a beach landscape.

Okay, Here is an image of the cafeteria , I wanted it dark and a little gloomy . Maybe it is too dark I don't know . ,Now we just need some tables/benches and a few other models to complete the scene.

CafetriaPrelim.jpg
    1234 x 884 - 139K

do we need a ship model.. If so I'll try and make a simple one up for a distance shot.

edited December 2016

made one... if it can be used

based on the Karaboudjan

Karaboudjan.jpg
    800 x 600 - 200K
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited October 2017

Fantastic Stezza... that certainly was quick. When I was reading the list of models needed your name came to mind when a ship was mentioned.... but I didn't want to mention your name since I can't speak for you .... didn't want anyone to think I'd offered your great modeling ability.

Mike,  I will give the table a go... would you like it round, square or rectangular?  I don't imagine that I'll be able to do chairs, never even tried before, but will give them some thought and probably attempt something... won't be hard if I can get a good method on how to tackle them.

For the plates do you want to have separate pieces, shards, for the scene or do you want the plates to be able to break apart? I'd like to do the plates also. Long ago I attempted silverware which was a disaster. If I've time I'll mess with that also but anyone else is welcome to come up with the silverware or plates also if they wish.

Post edited by wgdjohn on

@wgdjohn you're to kind.... I had the Sunday arvo to meself the LSW was up the coast taking our granddaughter home.. just me and the dog and Carrara so it passed the time.. smiley

I'm just terribly slow... spent nearly 9 hours modeling Xmas wrapped presents. What took me the longest is figuring out how to make an acceptable bow for each and also making shaders for each so they wouldn't look alike... after that it was placing them in a scene which did not take long but there was also DS content that needed re-shading. It's nearly done rendering now and will be my 2nd entry for It's Rainging Men.

Perfect ship model Stezza. yes I was going to post the Karaboudjan as a possible reference image. We could use the ship for an opening shot or when it is sinking and the guys in the lifeboat are looking back at it.

Stezza said:

made one... if it can be used

based on the Karaboudjan

wgdjohn, sounds great.  I guess you can look at my cafeteria model and decide what goes best with the room, round or square it is up to you.  I would just model the plates and then maybe apply a "shatter" deformer to them, so just model the plates like normal..

wgdjohn said:

Mike,  I will give the table a go... would you like it round, square or rectangular?  I don't imagine that I'll be able to do chairs, never even tried before, but will give them some thought and probably attempt something... won't be hard if I can get a good method on how to tackle them.

For the plates do you want to have separate pieces, shards, for the scene or do you want the plates to be able to break apart? I'd like to do the plates also. Long ago I attempted silverware which was a disaster. If I've time I'll mess with that also but anyone else is welcome to come up with the silverware or plates also if they wish.

edited December 2016

Okay , here is a start to one of the characters.  I used the genesis figure and used the morph dials to get the basic shape and then I did a bit of displacement painting on his face as well as painted over the face . The pants and shoes I had modeled previously , the shirt comes with carrara.

Character1Prelim.jpg
    731 x 895 - 44K
    Post edited by mmoir on

Tonight I have, hopefully, modeled a dinner, salad and "soup/small pasta" plates. I also modeled 8 and 12 oz glasses. Will have to see how well I did after applying some shaders.

Mike thanks for the Shatter deformer idea... I've not tried it yet.  I may also simply break the plates/glasses into pieces to have lying about.  Going with round tables... if there is time in the anim they could tip over and roll around... just an idea... no problem if it/they don't. Will start on those tomorrow... I'm going to attempt to make a metal chair... don't know how well it might look... have to see what happens.

edited December 2016

If you want benches rather than chairs, this is from my current WIP, but you'd be welcome to use it. It bolts to the floor too...

bench.jpg
    800 x 450 - 236K
    Post edited by TangoAlpha on

The bench looks perfect , what do you think wdgjohn,

If you want benches rather than chairs, this is from my current WIP, but you'd be welcome to use it. It bolts to the floor too...

edited December 2016

Here is an update to the character . Just added a jacket and a simple hair object.

Character1Prelim2.jpg
    900 x 537 - 43K
    Post edited by mmoir on

That bench looks great!  Everything TA does is.  Either square or rectangular table(s) desiged similar would look better with it. Now that I have an idea of how easy making chairs is, I've been overthinking them before, I'll work on those in spare time.

For now I'll concentrate on the dinnerware.  I'll add the Shatter deform in the Assemble room. I'll also make a few of them boken into larger pieces... will have to see how well that goes.

Here are the 2 characters so far, I think 1 more person should be fine. 

CharactersPrelim3.jpg
    886 x 537 - 46K
    edited December 2016

The Karaboudjan.. zipped up less the smoke, water and plane

zip
    zip
    Karaboudjan.zip
    1M
    Post edited by Stezza on
    edited December 2016

I've got a sorta china white shader added to the plates as well as the Shatter derformer. Please let me know if these will do.  The only one I'm not that happy with is the pasta place... I want to redo it so that the bowled part is a bit larger or the wings are smaller. The file uses a DCG shader for the plain that the plates sit on... didn't figure it would matter as only the plates are needed.

Oops... forgot about the glasses... will included them in a seperate archive.

Plates_s1_02.png
    640 x 480 - 510K
    zip
    zip
    Dinnerware_s1.zip
    Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • wgdjohn said:

The file uses a DCG shader for the plain that the plates sit on...

Not sure is it gonna open properly for those without those shaders smiley

Here's the bench.

zip
    zip
    Bench.zip

Update for Dinnerwar. I removed my reflection dome. The plain now just has a plain ole red shader. Should be no problems/requesters with loading.  Feel free to change any shaders on the dinnerware or glasses... which look a bit too clear. As before all have the Shatter effect applied to each. The stacks of dinnerware are "duplicates". Couldn't help myself... wanted to make sure they could be stacked... my Family and Uncle all come from cooking and restraurant background... imagine that I've stacked as many dishes as most do their entire life. LOL

Thanks FifthElement for the warning.

PlatesAndGlasses05.png
    640 x 480 - 72K
    zip
    zip
    DinnerwareAndGlasses.zip