Santa Baby Questions

Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Can anyone identify the Vicky skin used in the add? Its very cool...

Also, for anyone who owns the hat... Can it fit M5, and does it have a non-tilt option for a rather normal santa-hat look?

Comments

• agsears_f6a68cb825agsears_f6a68cb825 Posts: 169
    edited December 1969

Also, in addition her question, is the hair separate from the hat?

Alexa :)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,207
    edited December 1969

Presumably separate and not included - it isn't in the clay-render image.

• agsears_f6a68cb825agsears_f6a68cb825 Posts: 169
    edited December 1969

It says "hair" under the "what's included" tab. :-)

Alexa :-)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,207
    edited December 1969

It says "hair" under the "what's included" tab. :-)

Alexa :-)

So it does. Hmmm, well it isn't attached to the hat in the clay render but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a hole where the hat goes.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,209
    edited December 1969

The hair does come with the clothes. If you look under resources for the template, there is one for the hair, so yes, you get the hair and from the clay render as Richard mentioned, you don't have to use it to use the outfit.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

I purchased it and the textures. The hair is included. The hat is a conformer, and does not have any morphs to have it sit flat. It does not have a separate bone for the tail/jingle, either, so even if you tried playing parenting games, it'd probably require a lot of fiddling with D-Formers to make the tail sit right. As to using it on M5... So long as you had a fairly flat hair, I would think it should work since this is Genesis after all...

My biggest issue with the set is that the dress responds very badly to changes in breast size. And smoothing & collision doesn't help -- it just moves the pokethrough around. I ended up having to go in and *double* the auto-generated breast morphs in the dress to get it to fit. The one 'fit' morph in the dress didn't help; it again just caused smoothing & collision to move the pokethrough locations around. Usually the auto-generated morphs in Genesis conforming tops deal fairly well with changes to breast size, but this particular dress wants to be ramrod straight when smoothing & collision is turned off, such that it cuts through the breasts for all but the most flat-chested settings. That then requires smoothing & collision to do a lot of work trying to fix it, and I spent a good couple hours testing different smoothing & collision levels and never got anything satisfactory until I went in and changed the auto-generated breast morphs in it.

It is a great looking outfit, though!

• GrazeGraze Posts: 418
    edited December 1969

cwichura,

Can you tell us if there is a hole in the hair if the hat is not on?

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited December 1969

Wow! thanks for the concise review cwichura!

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

SickleYield just released a new item that may help with the clipping:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2705/

There is also a built in function in DAZ Studio that will overcome your issue but I'm at work right now and don't have DS on this work machine. It's not collision it's some else. Puffs things up but used in really increments it works great to correct issues like this....

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited December 1969

Push modifier?

• joelegeckojoelegecko Posts: 64
    edited December 2012

Textures: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/v4-elite-texture-lana
    Character: custom one

Hair is included. Hair is a separate conforming figure. You can use it on its own but result is not perfect on the forehead ( even with "push modifier" or magnets ). It is quite small though.

Regarding the fur, I strongly advise you to avoid raytraced shadows or high quality ambient occlusion with uberEnv ;)

Post edited by joelegecko on
    edited December 1969

Mr Leong said:
    Can you tell us if there is a hole in the hair if the hat is not on?

The hair is complete, so can be used stand-alone. It doesn't have any movement or other customization morphs, however, like most dedicated hair products come with.
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

barbult said:
    Push modifier?

Just home from work. Yea, that's it!

edited December 1969

The push modifier affects the entire object, though, right? It's akin to a geometry shell offset, but without using a shell. So while it could help with the pokethrough on the breasts, it would also push the rest of the outfit away from the underlying Genesis figure. Depending on the clothing item, that may or may not be visually usable. (Though for the Santa Baby Dress, it'd probably be OK since it's one piece and so wouldn't show gaps between it and the Genesis figure elsewhere.)

I looked at the list of items created by the Santa Baby vendor, and saw that Bloodmage is another recent Genesis item from them. That, too, had problems with refusing to take dialed up breast morphs now that I think about it (the two main breast morphs I use are Breast Size and Breast Implant). With Bloodmage, I changed the design of the character I was after and worked around the pokethroughs by using the polygon group editor to make the strap around the breasts a separate material zone that I then hid to make it into a topless outfit (Bloodrites - Initiation). So what are they doing in their rigging that makes it not work well with the auto-follow morphs?

(Some might argue after looking at the linked image that I use excessive breast morph settings. (While large, they are still within realm of reason in the real world with plastic surgery. Even I don't particularly care for the super-ginormous stuff you see in a lot of renders on dA.) But with Santa Baby, I tried using breast sizes much smaller than I normally use while experimenting with the smoothing and collision levels and still couldn't get it pokethrough-free.)

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Test render. One of these days I will learn how to use DS4.5.

testsa.jpg
    600 x 1050 - 200K
    edited December 1969

Santa Baby rendered with LuxRender: Christmas 2012

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    Very nice...I really like the brown colour you used!
  • WakakanadaWakakanada Posts: 207
    edited December 1969

Pendraia said:
    cwichura said:
    Very nice...I really like the brown colour you used!

I agree, it really shows the potential of the product. AND it makes me want to try my first Lux render after upgrading to DS4.5...I've been too lazy to get it up and running...and too busy buying product while grumbling about this year's PC sale wasn't as good as the one before...which wasn't as good as the one before...which...%-P

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    edited December 2012

Man, Kinda sad I didn't buy santa baby. Now its 19.95 lol. No Santa Baby for me!

Post edited by Serene Night on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,877
    edited December 1969

Regarding the fur, I strongly advise you to avoid raytraced shadows or high quality ambient occlusion with uberEnv ;)

Same with pwSurface2 using AO.

I did not bother to test and see how long mind you, I just got impatient and stopped the render.

• joelegeckojoelegecko Posts: 64
    edited December 2012

Mattymanx said:

Same with pwSurface2 using AO.

I did not bother to test and see how long mind you, I just got impatient and stopped the render.

You can bypass the ambient occlusion on the "fur trans" material with the UberSurface/UberHair shader. You can either override the shading rate ( Occlusion Shading Rate Mode: Override" for this material ( and use a higher value to speed the rendering up, like 128 ) or turn the AO computing off ( "Occlusion: Off". That way, only the shadows will be calculated for this material. It works faster with soft shadow-mapped shadows but soft raytraced shadows are possible as well.

With pwSurface2, you have to turn the "Visible in Occlusion" value to "off".

Post edited by joelegecko on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,258
    edited December 1969

cwichura said:

Beautiful image :)

• Ralf1958Ralf1958 Posts: 688
    edited December 1969

Just bought Victoria 6 and Santa Baby... here is my question... How do I fit the boots on Victoria 6? The autofit doesn't work and I can't find a way to scale the boots in order to make them fit. Any idea?

• VanguardVanguard Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

ralf said:
    Just bought Victoria 6 and Santa Baby... here is my question... How do I fit the boots on Victoria 6? The autofit doesn't work and I can't find a way to scale the boots in order to make them fit. Any idea?

You could possibly fit other boots to v6 and then turn off the surface for the Santa Baby Leather. The fur is a separate surface than the leather so you can hide the leather by turning the opacity down. This will leave the other boots showing with the fur fringe from the Santa Baby boots.

Another option I have used on other clothing and hair is to fit the boots to a v5 in the same pose and location as v6 and turn the v5 visibility off as well as the the visibility of the v6 feet.

These are all workarounds and the latter won't help if you are doing animation but if you are in a bind and just need to get a render done it works.

• DkgooseDkgoose Posts: 1,451
    edited December 1969

Hair is included? I bought this recently and never knew that :/

edited May 2014

Vanguard said:
    ralf said:

You could possibly fit other boots to v6 and then turn off the surface for the Santa Baby Leather. The fur is a separate surface than the leather so you can hide the leather by turning the opacity down. This will leave the other boots showing with the fur fringe from the Santa Baby boots.

Another option I have used on other clothing and hair is to fit the boots to a v5 in the same pose and location as v6 and turn the v5 visibility off as well as the the visibility of the v6 feet.

These are all workarounds and the latter won't help if you are doing animation but if you are in a bind and just need to get a render done it works.

Finally solved the Problem!

1) Loaded the boots
    2) Loaded V6
    3) Posed and resized V6 limbs so they fit in the boots
    4) Used the "Transfer Rigging (Figure space)" from V6 to the boots
    5) Then "Fit to V6"
    6) Applyed the "Poke-Away2! for Genesis 2 Female(s) by: xenic101"-Morphs for a perfect fit

Done! :-)

Did the same with the wrap, PERFECT!

Used "Poke-Away2" for the Dress, PERFECT!

Made two Versions, one for V6 and one for Olympia, they both turned out beautiful.

Post edited by Ralf1958 on
    edited December 1969

And here we go! Olympia with perfectly fitted Santa Babe Outfit. :-)

Olympia_Santa.png
    720 x 720 - 1009K
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

she's a cutey :)

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

anikad said:
    Test render. One of these days I will learn how to use DS4.5.

santa, kewl muskles you haz :)