Coleman's Comic Quest

ColemanRughColemanRugh Posts: 511
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

Forever I've wanted to do a fantasy graphic novel. I love Japanese samurai stuff and dungeons and dragons. So, I thought perhaps an ensemble of Japanese heroes travel to a Eurocentric world and traverse into a dangerous dungeon on a quest.

So, here are the main characters I'm working on for the ensemble for a working title story "Servants of the Sword"

Here is Akane

I have used Poser for years and just this year started trying out Daz Studio ( it rocks!! ). This is my first real Daz Studio render. ( thanks much to Eric Merrit for his fantastic youtube tutorials - they are a giant help).

Comments

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562
    edited December 1969

Forever I've wanted to do a fantasy graphic novel. I love Japanese samurai stuff and dungeons and dragons. So, I thought perhaps an ensemble of Japanese heroes travel to a Eurocentric world and traverse into a dangerous dungeon on a quest.

So, here are the main characters I'm working on for the ensemble for a working title story "Servants of the Sword"

Here is Akane

I have used Poser for years and just this year started trying out Daz Studio ( it rocks!! ). This is my first real Daz Studio render. ( thanks much to Eric Merrit for his fantastic youtube tutorials - they are a giant help).

Looking forward to following your progress, ColemanRugh!

- Greg

• ColemanRughColemanRugh Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

I needed a eurocentric character to lead the asian characters to the new strange world. I'm thinking Ys'Larrha will be the 'linkage' characeter between worlds

ys-larrha-raw.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 704K
    edited December 1969

Here is Akane

Looking forward to following your progress, ColemanRugh!

- Greg

Thanks a lot, Greg!!

edited December 1969

using the fantastic GenX apps by Dimension3d I was able to create a Genesis version of Reciecup's superb Mike4 "Cyrus" character I love so much. Now he can wear Luthbel's excellent Samurai outfit. The Genesis "tadashi" will be when he was a imperial champion, represting the government. His Mike 4 version will represent later when he became a ronin. I think Daz Studio transparency maps use black and white opposite of Poser... I want to make his ronin sleeves a little tattered... from the grand champion to a ronin living off the land.

Tadashi_genesis_and_m4.jpg
    500 x 650 - 83K
    edited December 1969

Here is a island map I made for the asian setting 'Sokoku' which means 'homeland' in Japanese.... according to web translation services.

I used Campaign Cartographer... following Joe Sweeney's superb superb tutorials here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLaTKOJC6og his tutorials are supremo.

1_sokoku.jpg
    1200 x 968 - 314K
    edited December 1969

Rh'ayshana is a fireborn woman who becomes bound to the fire sword... I don't know yet how she works into the main story.

rhayshana.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 315K
    edited December 1969

As writers we're constantly working and reworking ideas... here are my initial asian themed heroes. I'm going to try to make a Genesis version of Yuuma that's more actual japanese male looking. I will probably dump Chiyoko altogether. My initial version of Akane was Vicki4 using NikeImage's "White Fire' character which looks a touch too old for Akane. I'm now using the Genesis 2 Mei Li with Morris's "Kenzie" character.

I couldn't make up my mind about using a old man sage or a old woman... I may dump that angle too. Actually a lot of the first hero cast may be dumped.

Akane and Tadashi are the two main characters... they're set. Yuuma adds contrast to both of them and he's staying. Setsuko's story adds to tadashi... she's a maybe - ha ha - it's very fluid right now. :P

full-hero-ensemble-A.jpg
    1400 x 860 - 351K
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,401
    edited December 1969

As writers we're constantly working and reworking ideas... here are my initial asian themed heroes. I'm going to try to make a Genesis version of Yuuma that's more actual japanese male looking. I will probably dump Chiyoko altogether. My initial version of Akane was Vicki4 using NikeImage's "White Fire' character which looks a touch too old for Akane. I'm now using the Genesis 2 Mei Li with Morris's "Kenzie" character.

I couldn't make up my mind about using a old man sage or a old woman... I may dump that angle too. Actually a lot of the first hero cast may be dumped.

Akane and Tadashi are the two main characters... they're set. Yuuma adds contrast to both of them and he's staying. Setsuko's story adds to tadashi... she's a maybe - ha ha - it's very fluid right now. :P

Loks good. Just a heads-up though, you might want to change Setsuko's outfit if you plan on publishing this comic. Mammomammo doesn't allow his/her content for commercial renders.
    edited December 1969

Loks good. Just a heads-up though, you might want to change Setsuko's outfit if you plan on publishing this comic. Mammomammo doesn't allow his/her content for commercial renders.

Thanks a lot for the heads up, Tramp Graphics!

Yeah, I was thinking of making a Genesis 1 or 2 new version of Setsuko.

edited December 1969

Setsuko

Genesis 2 Fem version

setsuko.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 229K
    edited December 1969

Lileng version 1

A shugenja/Mystic type character with the ability to call upon the spirits of sound/vibration. I will probably try the Monique character face and skin instead... dunno.. I need a more playful feel to her visual persona.

Lileng-vers1.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 262K
    edited December 1969

This character took a lot of trial and error.

3 Eyes... working name is 'Shisen' which means 'eyes' in Japanese. Metsuki means eyes too... but refers to spies of the Tokugawa government... if Shisen is more of a modern Japanese word I'll search for another. Sanpaku is an old Chinese word that means "three whites' ... if ones sclera were white they considered you were possessed by some spirit... which works well..but in English the word Sanpaku doesn't 'sound' scary... I dunno... maybe it will grow on me.

She's the leader of the Deathmask Squad... fallen heroes whose undead bodies and souls came under the control of the sorceress Xhish. Her eye sockets are empty now that her body is long dead. Her new eyes... on her forehead and in the palm of each hand, can hypnotize those who fail to look away. She will either enslave those she hypnotizes and make them part of her undead army... or... use her razor sharp fan blades to dispatch them if she deems them unworthy of serving Xhish.

3-eyes.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 242K
  • algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562
    edited December 1969

This character took a lot of trial and error.

3 Eyes... working name is 'Shisen' which means 'eyes' in Japanese. Metsuki means eyes too... but refers to spies of the Tokugawa government... if Shisen is more of a modern Japanese word I'll search for another. Sanpaku is an old Chinese word that means "three whites' ... if ones sclera were white they considered you were possessed by some spirit... which works well..but in English the word Sanpaku doesn't 'sound' scary... I dunno... maybe it will grow on me.

She's the leader of the Deathmask Squad... fallen heroes whose undead bodies and souls came under the control of the sorceress Xhish. Her eye sockets are empty now that her body is long dead. Her new eyes... on her forehead and in the palm of each hand, can hypnotize those who fail to look away. She will either enslave those she hypnotizes and make them part of her undead army... or... use her razor sharp fan blades to dispatch them if she deems them unworthy of serving Xhish.

I've enjoyed following your work, ColemanRugh. Keep 'em coming!

- Greg

edited December 1969

Thanks a lot, Algovincian! :)

edited November 2016

Sun Knights, a Truth Keeper paladin and a Luvian Sun Priestess. It's for a pre-industrial world setting, but they are the most advanced culture ( in magic ) so wanted to give them a stylized look in their clothing. I love the Siph dress by Midnight Stories, but not sure if it looks too futuristic.

3delight render with a studio light set-up with 4 basic DAZ infinite lights

servants-of-light.jpg
    1600 x 1124 - 518K
    Post edited by ColemanRugh on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Just stumbling across this now, looking forward to seeing more!

• Thanks Ice Dragon Art !

edited December 2016

Evosh Castle where the Nimti sleep. rendered in Vue. Fantastic castle model by the genius Eugenia.

The young kingdoms launch an attack on the island, but their brave knights become  sucked into the muck of the surrounding landscape. Then the sea tide begins to rise... drowning an entire army without coming within calling range of the great walls where the wounded wizards sleep.

Evosh Castle.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 156K
    edited December 2016

Rhanghar... the forgotten stronghold of the horrid mage Xhish. Rendered in Vue. Superb mountain fortress model by Mesbox Designs.

Before being sent to the otherworld, the hateful sorceress Xhish was a breath away from conquering the world. Now, those who survive scramble to find her lost scrolls of magic hoping to keep others from using the same magic to threaten all again.

Rhanghar.png
    1600 x 900 - 2M
  • Postworked version of Tzan Tzi... a half-hraggi rogue. The heroes employ her as their guide through the underdark.

Fabulous lights and setting by Merlin.

Tzan-Tzi-2.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 223K
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

Nice expression on this greeny! Lights and environment are very good, seems worthwhile to own that. Hope you keep going with that project.

• Thanks Linwelly !!

• Thalla and Klemish are magic hunters who scour forgotten hideaways of the old civilizations. They are duty bound to help the Nimti keep magic out of the hands of commonfolk so that no dark power can threaten the world again as did the sorceress Xhish.

Thalla-and-Klemish.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 313K
  • Postworked version of Tzan Tzi... a half-hraggi rogue. The heroes employ her as their guide through the underdark.

Fabulous lights and setting by Merlin.

She looks downright sinister

• Thanks Tramp Graphics!

• Ys Lanna a moon elf mystic

ys-lanna.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 175K
  • Evosh Castle version 2.

Castle buildings by Roland58. Mountain is RDNA's terradome 2. Ocean and sky props by Marshian. This DAZ Studio version shore needs more work to resemble the VUE shore made in previous version..

Evosh_Castle_Roland_Vers.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 328K
  • Now with a shoreline. Playing with filter forge filters... this is 'Fantasy preset 3'

Evosh-Castle-Vers2b.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 435K
  • I think this is the best version for Evosh castle.

Thanks DAZ member wwes for help in figuring out how to flip normals to get this great byzantiner palace model to work in DAZ!

evosh-1.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 259K
  • View from the ship at sea...

evosh-2.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 222K