Ice Dragon Art WIP's

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Looks really good wgdjohn!  I gave it a thumbs up as well lol

edited December 2016

This is Ami for Aiko 4.  3Delight.  Was originally going to do her in Iray but she just looked awful, even with conversion.  Her eyes were rendering completely black no matter what I changed. I actually really enjoyed doing something in 3Delight again it was fun, easy and quick and turned out relatively well.  The first on is without the overskirt the second one is with the overskirt.  I did change the color of the dress using the Orimono Shaders.  If you do 3Delight and don't have these shaders you should go check them out.  They are gorgeous with lots of options,  I couldn't quite get the overskirt to follow the same as the dress but I figured the lace was lighter than the dress anyway.  And it helped hide the dark spot on the front of the dress.  Thought it might be a shadow but its not, no idea what it is.  If I decide to keep the render I will fix it in photoshop.  Personally, I like the one without the overskirt better.

Ami 1.png
    1569 x 2040 - 5M
    Ami 2.png
    1569 x 2040 - 5M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • It actually looks kind of cool with the overskirt like that.  I don't know why the eyes would be black in Iray.  I haven't had that happen yet.  Looks like a fortuitous happenstance cause your image turned out really nice.  I like that the second one with the overskirt has more glow to the lights behind her.  It looks really nice.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Ooooh... cool... like how the first one, no overskirt, has a glow to the bricks around lamps. Details, details what are all the nice looking products you used? Interior, exterior and dress.

The overskirt appears to be in a different pose than the dress... looks like moving, rotation and/or scaling might be a problem also. Did you add the overskit and dress in a T pose?

Regarding the dark spot... it appears that the dress and top are two different objects that don't fit well together. Does that sound right?

The dress is a freebie from Arah3d at sharecg.  The top and bottom are one piece. If I knew a bit more about porting in and out of studio and how to fix things I would try and fix it myself. Don't know enough now to try it.  Yet.  I had the first one done and posed when I decided to try the overskirt so no, they were not in the t pose.  And no way was I messing up the pose on the dress just to fiddle with the overskirt lol.

The hallway is Castle Hallway by Imaginary House

the fire in the wall sconces are Porsimo's Morphing Flames

The background is mountain scapes

Hair is Amaraseda

Necklace is Hemavati Jewels for v4 and the head piece is Ceru Circlets

• Is that the Wynter Fairy outfit, Sonja?  If yes, I just downloaded it.  I'll install it tomorrow morning and see if I can take a look.  It couldn't hurt and I've had a lot of practice with poser outfits and characters lately.  I'll see if I have any of the same problems.

Is that the Wynter Fairy outfit, Sonja?  If yes, I just downloaded it.  I'll install it tomorrow morning and see if I can take a look.  It couldn't hurt and I've had a lot of practice with poser outfits and characters lately.  I'll see if I have any of the same problems.

Yes it is.  And thanks!  I really like the dress and it may just be the wind poses causing a wrinkle or something which is throwing a shadow.

• No problem.  I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow morning.

Great thanks!

Sonja,  Thanks for the info... I downloaded the dress but will have to check it out another time... I have Gimp 2.8 to install tonight.  I was surprised... I have Castle Hallway but apparantly never even loaded it... I'll have to see what it looks like with Carrara "fire" or "primoval fire". Amarseda Hair came with my V4 Pro bundle. The other items I do not have.

Check out Dangling Circlets For Any Figure by EmmaAndJordi who also have some other cool jewerly which fit's anything from Generation 4 to Genesis 2... quite a range of figures.  I've really got to get onto modeling jewelry... been planning to for a few months but always get sidetracked. :)

wgdjohn said:

Sonja,  Thanks for the info... I downloaded the dress but will have to check it out another time... I have Gimp 2.8 to install tonight.  I was surprised... I have Castle Hallway but apparantly never even loaded it... I'll have to see what it looks like with Carrara "fire" or "primoval fire". Amarseda Hair came with my V4 Pro bundle. The other items I do not have.

Check out Dangling Circlets For Any Figure by EmmaAndJordi who also have some other cool jewerly which fit's anything from Generation 4 to Genesis 2... quite a range of figures.  I've really got to get onto modeling jewelry... been planning to for a few months but always get sidetracked. :)

I have the Dangling circlets as well as several other items from them, belly chains, hand and foot chains and lots of other stuff.  Jewelry is one of things I really want to learn to model as i make jewelry in real life as well lol.

• Late morning walk.  Daz Studio 4.9.  Gen 2 with Cesar skin

Great work, Sonja!

Thanks Tabsco Jack!  I don't usally do more modern but I like to dabble occaisionally lol.

edited December 2016

Iva, for V4. 3Delight

Amaya Hair (I'm testing hair as I go and outfits and dresses as well.)

Elven Gown and necklace, gloves, sash and shoes by Arah3D.

Iva V4.png
    1260 x 2040 - 4M
    edited December 2016

Aliya for V4

Autumn Spirit Hair by Arah3D

Gothic Dress also by Arah3D but totally retextured

Abraxas by DM (her sets are amazing!)

Aliya 2 V4.png
    988 x 1600 - 2M

I'm amazed by how good V4 still looks... love to see what you could do with V3 or V2. I'm hooked on G2 figures/chars at the moment.

Thanks for starting your Very New to Carrara Question it's been much helpful to me since I've simply not explored the features of Carrara since I've been concentrating too much on modeling and still no expert on, compared to others like mmoir, 3DAGE, Stezza, diomede, DesertDuide... and many many others.

I am glad that my thread is helpful to someone else besides me lol.  I do have V3 but haven't really given her a go yet.  I have to say the G2 figures are still my all time favorites but I am trying to go through each generation and do all of the characters I have at least once so I know what I have and what they look like.  And the V4 clothing is actually pretty amazing, lots of pieces to most outfits and tons of different textures for them.  Fun to play with for sure. I do have the V4 to Gen2 so at some point I will work on getting my G2 girls into some of the very cool clothing Vicky has

Let me know how well V4 to G2 works out... note tha Gen2 refers to Generation 2 while G2 refer to Genesis to or rather Generation 6.  I have it also but have not tried it, been to busy. Since the great improvements to G2 my Gen4 content has been neglected.

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035

Nice renders! I got carrara also. I have not even got the time to crack it open. I have done 3D modeling before in sketch-up and some in Blender my biggest hurdle is uvmapping. Ugh! You have done great so far! I will have to check out the tuts also once i get going. Keep up the good work. :)

Liana,  Great that you have Carrara.  For some good info, I hope, check out my Modeling Objects in Carrara - Q&A - Come One and All which starts out with some cool links, IMO, for learning the modeling tools in Carrara as well as UVmapping with it. There are some great tips there. I've done a few mini tutorials as I progress to learn more tools/functions. I hope to be adding another for adding morphs soon. I've not gotten a handle on UVmapping quite yet but just recently gotton interested in learning how.  If you have any questions either I or someone else will help get you up to speed.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Okay so I finally did a super simple scene for the raining men challenge in Carrara.  Might try and figure out how to add grass or something to front. or a dirt path or something. I was just happy to figure out a somewhat complete scene.  The loincloth is the skirt from the jungle outfit for G2F.

I think if you turn up the tiling on the ground texture it'll get rid of the pixellation in the foreground, as well as making the leaves a more leaf-like size.

Putting a path through is really easy. First off, you need a template to draw the path on. You can get this with a TOP camera screenshot. This'll give you the placement of things like trees, rocks etc, so you can draw your path around them. Next draw your path. Do it on a separate layet and use a pure white brush. Everywhere you draw white will be the path texture, and everywhere else will be the background leaves. If you use a fuzzy brush the join between the textures will also be fuzzy. Once you're done, create another layer behind your path and fill it with black. This is now your mask. Save it out as a jpeg.

In Carrara, set the Color channel for your shader to "Mixer" (you'll find it in the drop-down under Operators). You'll get three sub-channels: Source 1, Source 2, and Blender. Set Source 1 to your leaves texture, Source 2 to your path texture and Blender to your Mask image. Doesn't matter if your textures are different sizes, you can set the tiling individually for each. Do the same for your bump channel. (it's possible to do this in Studio too, although you'll need to create a custom shader for it via the brick-thingy)

Mask.jpg
    512 x 512 - 45K
    Shader.png
    669 x 468 - 123K

Okay so I finally did a super simple scene for the raining men challenge in Carrara.  Might try and figure out how to add grass or something to front. or a dirt path or something. I was just happy to figure out a somewhat complete scene.  The loincloth is the skirt from the jungle outfit for G2F.

I think if you turn up the tiling on the ground texture it'll get rid of the pixellation in the foreground, as well as making the leaves a more leaf-like size.

Putting a path through is really easy. First off, you need a template to draw the path on. You can get this with a TOP camera screenshot. This'll give you the placement of things like trees, rocks etc, so you can draw your path around them. Next draw your path. Do it on a separate layet and use a pure white brush. Everywhere you draw white will be the path texture, and everywhere else will be the background leaves. If you use a fuzzy brush the join between the textures will also be fuzzy. Once you're done, create another layer behind your path and fill it with black. This is now your mask. Save it out as a jpeg.

In Carrara, set the Color channel for your shader to "Mixer" (you'll find it in the drop-down under Operators). You'll get three sub-channels: Source 1, Source 2, and Blender. Set Source 1 to your leaves texture, Source 2 to your path texture and Blender to your Mask image. Doesn't matter if your textures are different sizes, you can set the tiling individually for each. Do the same for your bump channel. (it's possible to do this in Studio too, although you'll need to create a custom shader for it via the brick-thingy)

Oh that is aweseome.  Can't wait to try that out!  I watched a video (cripeman) where he used a mask to place his trees but it was a bit beyond my level just yet.  This, this makes sense.  So I make the path in photoshop, save as .jpg and drop into appropriate channels.  ha, that's amazing!  thank you!  And I have zero desire to figure out the brick thingy in studio.  I too one look and ran screaming in the other direction lol.

wgdjohn said:

Let me know how well V4 to G2 works out... note tha Gen2 refers to Generation 2 while G2 refer to Genesis to or rather Generation 6.  I have it also but have not tried it, been to busy. Since the great improvements to G2 my Gen4 content has been neglected.

Ya I mix them up all the time.  One of these years I will have them all straight.

Liana said:

Nice renders! I got carrara also. I have not even got the time to crack it open. I have done 3D modeling before in sketch-up and some in Blender my biggest hurdle is uvmapping. Ugh! You have done great so far! I will have to check out the tuts also once i get going. Keep up the good work. :)

Definitely head over to the Carrara forums and check out wgdjohns thread as well as the rest.  A super helpful bunch over there, they have made it much easier than if I had tried to jump in on my own.

wgdjohn said:

Liana,  Great that you have Carrara.  For some good info, I hope, check out my Modeling Objects in Carrara - Q&A - Come One and All which starts out with some cool links, IMO, for learning the modeling tools in Carrara as well as UVmapping with it. There are some great tips there. I've done a few mini tutorials as I progress to learn more tools/functions. I hope to be adding another for adding morphs soon. I've not gotten a handle on UVmapping quite yet but just recently gotton interested in learning how.  If you have any questions either I or someone else will help get you up to speed.

Thanks to both of you. :) It sounds like Carrara would be a decent tool to learn, plus I have seen some pretty neat stuff come from it. :)

I think I have made my last purchase in the Daz store for now except for a couple of new releases that I have commited to buying in the commercial threads.  Not only am I beyond frustrated but apparently its no longer okay to post an issue with the sales in the forums anymore.  In all honesty I am glad, I don't need anymore stuff and I can spend my time rendering instead of shopping.  Considering how much money I have spent here in the last year its a good thing and I won't have to worry about getting tempted by all those extra discounts that go along with spending thousands of dollars a year here.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

Wow Sonja I how you get the matter cleared up soon.

• I think I have made my last purchase in the Daz store for now except for a couple of new releases that I have commited to buying in the commercial threads.  Not only am I beyond frustrated but apparently its no longer okay to post an issue with the sales in the forums anymore.  In all honesty I am glad, I don't need anymore stuff and I can spend my time rendering instead of shopping.  Considering how much money I have spent here in the last year its a good thing and I won't have to worry about getting tempted by all those extra discounts that go along with spending thousands of dollars a year here.

Not sure what the issue was, but I hope you get it sorted out.  Personally, I've stopped shopping for the moment.  There are one or two items I'm saving up for that have yet to come out, but this daily shopping, I need a break.  I have tons of stuff in my library to use before I really NEED to buy anything else.  I figure it there is anything else I need that I haven't already planned for, it can wait until the big sale in March.  Or maybe I'll figure out how to make it myself.  Right now, I'm just getting the freebies that come along without strings for now.  

Oh this does not sound good. I hope it gets all straightened out for you.

No worries, its nothing I have any insterest in in pursuing further and I truly do not need another single thing.  I'm going to pick up DarwinsMishaph upcoming release and the one from Gypsy Angel because I said I would.  There are plenty of other places to shop if I absolutely need to (which I really don't) and I'm not giving up Daz or not coming and chatting in the forums. I'm just going to stop shopping.

I did look to see if anyone had posted I always do because even I find it annoying when there are 8 of the same threads.  I wonder if it would be possible to have a section just for stuff like this.  If I had know it was being worked on I wouldn't have posted and wouldn't have been nearly as frustrated.  Thank you for letting me know.

(copied from the other thread.)

It still doesn't really change my mind about the frustration that's been happening recently but I do appreciate the hard work you guys put in.  I'm really not a a cranky (fill in the blanks) I promise! 

This discussion has been closed.