The older generation: Victoria 2/3, Michael 2/3 and their children renders

Comments

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

She looks lovely!

• Kerya said:

She looks lovely!

DollyGirl said:

So Mustakettu85, can you tell us about the products you used, hair, clothing, character textures and morphs. A lovely overture. She looks very very pretty. I think we forget just how good the older models were.

Thank you both!

Well first of all, there are no face morphs, just Vickie 2 =) She's the cutest! I may have dialed in a few percent of some "fitness" type of body morph, I'll look it up next time I'm home. The good thing about generation 2 is that the bases come with a lot of morphs built-in.

The products are enumerated in the dA gallery description (under the "In this render" heading, a bit below the image). Some of them are freebies, and at least hair textures are from Rendo, so I can't just copy&paste the whole list =D

These come from the DAZ store, and you will notice they aren't for V2 but work very well with her:

http://www.daz3d.com/trixie-hair

http://www.daz3d.com/dynamic-circle-skirt

The skin textures also came from the DAZ store but they aren't available anymore unfortunately because of that "vaulting" thing. =(((

• DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,645
    edited December 2016

Thank you Mustakettu85 for the list of items.

So I thought M2 needed some love as well. The attached image is Capsces Boris morphs. (http://www.capsces.com ), Roxanne's face and body morphs (at the same site as Boris). Runtimedna's Dragonlord outfit (http://www.runtimedna.com/DNA-The-Dragonlord-for-M2.html ) and Runtimedna's Nicholae for M2 (http://www.runtimedna.com/DNA-Nicholae-for-Michael-2.html ). Both of which are free.

Rendered in Iray, only added my sig.

M2-Nicholae.jpg
    800 x 1035 - 115K
    Post edited by DollyGirl on
  • You're welcome, DollyGirl!

And that M2 character is great =) Drunk on power!

Cool character!

Thank you. I need to go through my database and see if I can find a tankard for my lord. He is a dwarf so it only seems natural. Thanks Kettu for the idea.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    DollyGirl said:

Thank you. I need to go through my database and see if I can find a tankard for my lord. He is a dwarf so it only seems natural. Thanks Kettu for the idea.

Age of Armor's steins...

http://www.ageofarmour.com/3d/free/steins.php

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,195
    Roman_K2 said:

About the Oren-Nayar BDSF numbers, those aren't RGB settings so where exactly do you enter those values (Blender community URL), in DAZ Studio?

These are roughness values, so they go into the "diffuse roughness" slider.

I guess I've been trying to understand what the various... mapping schemes do and are best for. So is the "roughness" that is controlled by the Oren-Nayar numbers at all related, or complimentary to, BUMP settings, do you know? And they work only in Iray, or...? Any and all replies appreciated, thanks much.

Roman_K2 said:
    Roman_K2 said:

About the Oren-Nayar BDSF numbers, those aren't RGB settings so where exactly do you enter those values (Blender community URL), in DAZ Studio?

These are roughness values, so they go into the "diffuse roughness" slider.

I guess I've been trying to understand what the various... mapping schemes do and are best for. So is the "roughness" that is controlled by the Oren-Nayar numbers at all related, or complimentary to, BUMP settings, do you know? And they work only in Iray, or...? Any and all replies appreciated, thanks much.

This response is for iRay. If you want a 3Delight discussion then we can do that at a latter time.

I picture diffuse roughness as being how much scattering of light I wish to see. If I have a value of 1 in the roughness slider then I will see something more like what you see when you look at a velvet dress, or an animal's fur. I am forcing the computer to model the surface like there are many surfaces for the light to bounce against. The more bouncing that occurs the more like velvet the surface will look or as some describe as softness and the color is more complex and varied. A value of zero then says there is only one bounce, from the surface back to the camera. When this happens all the light waves are the same and you get one color. It will look flat.

BUMP as used in 3D renderers such as 3Delight, iRay, Vue, Poser, is a method of telling the computer that an object is not completely smooth but has a pattern applied to it. A Bump map is usually a grey scale image map or a normal map of the surface of the object. The computer takes the values of each of the pixels in the map and determines how far in or out to move the corresponding point on the surface. Once it has these values then it will apply the diffuse equation and the specular equations to determine what the final pixel color set will be for the render.

So with that being said, your question of,  is the roughness that you chose for the diffuse equation related or complimentary to BUMP, the answer is it depends. If you have a strong Bump value and the map is mostly noise then you will get similar results to a roughness of 1 in the Oren-Nayar diffuse equation, because you have created a rough surface. The similarity between the Bump equation results and the Oren-Nayar diffuse equation however requires an additional factor to having the Bump equation results reach the approximation of the Oren-Nayar results and that is you must increase the number of bounces of light you want the computer to calculate. iRay does not allow you to change this value so the approximation may not be very successful. And truth be told is not the best way to use these parameters.

So in the end you must consider what you are trying to create. If you are rendering a silk dress that has a belt and belt buckle incorportated into the map of the object then you want the Bump to be strong but the diffuse roughness to be low. If you want the dress to be made of velvet then push up the diffuse roughness closer to one, remove the bump map and go find a pretty belt to go with the dress.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Oren-Nayar roughness is how 'not flat' a surface is at a microscopic level.

Bump is how 'rough' it is at a visible with the naked eye level.

• There is a limited time "get five free" promo, http://www.daz3d.com/xmas-wk-bonus-selection - and you can get Millennium Girls and Boys, among others!

• Soooo some of you may have seen this render already, and to those I apologise. It's been originally posted to the "Raining Men" contest thread and later in the "Show us your 3Delight renders" thread.

Here we are interested in the following: M2 + RDNA Gothicus freebie for the texture + Capsces Boris for the morph (now a freebie, was a paid product originally I think, but "before my time") + Mike's Changing Fantasy Suit with the Pendragon's Paladin expansion textures + sword from the Elric RDNA freebie (apparently they meant it to be Stormbringer, well let´s just say IMO it's not) + Morphing Boot Pack + textures from Michele's tile packs (on the boots and pants aaand IIRC sword hilt + cloth bump)

...and a special mention for Tofusan's free Surface Replicator script that really helped with setting up the grass.

// click for bigger //

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

I'd been looking at Glorious Goth (for my beloved original The Girl, Gen3) for years but never managed to justify the purchase... and this Christmas it was among the giveaways =)

Lit with an HDRI from this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/129346/free-rgb-hdri-soft-lights-for-iray-by-valzheimer

// click for full size; more info on the gallery page //

Cute!

And that's a nice character for her!

Thank you! Yes, the character is nice, too.

• Look what I found: Porsimo's Iray render of a scene with several M3 characters!

http://porsimo.deviantart.com/art/Hangar-616190891

Looks really good!

• nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,867
    edited April 2017
    Kerya said:
    mmalbert said:

You're welcome!

Making a cute Mil3 baby face has been a bit of a challenge for me. One of these days I'll get around to buying the CDI set for this little figure.

There were nice freebies for the PT Girl, like the Miko uniform.

The Miko Uniform is still available: http://web.archive.org/web/20061017162942/http://digitalbabes2.com/~yamato/MilGirl.html

laugh

Wanna see a very old render (2008) of the Milbaby3 in DazStudio?

A child's fantasy

Credits:
    Milbaby3
    Lily (texture) - Thorne and Sarsa (morph by me)
    Dazzling gaze - TiffT785
    Ysaris hair - AprilYSH
    Omaru - Batlab (limited time freebie)
    Mute Swan - ContentParadise
    Niké's Place#1 - vikike176
    Weeping Willows - Paleman
    Pondlife plants - Lisa Buckalew
    Water displacement map - mcvdaz
    Background - Jean-Luc Ajrarn

Funnily enough, I've actually been crafting a potty similar to that Mute Swan discontinued prop, though mine is meant to be more of a cartoon duck than a swan. Can't really promise I'll have it up for grabs anytime soon, though... I was mainly creating it for OpenSIm virtual worlds, but I could easily pop it onto shareCG when I feel satisfied with the build itself.

Post edited by nomad-ads_8ecd56922e on
  • Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,195
    DollyGirl said:
    BUMP as used in 3D renderers such as 3Delight, iRay, Vue, Poser, is a method of telling the computer that an object is not completely smooth but has a pattern applied to it.

Thanks for taking the time to type a bit, on this subject. smiley

mjc1016 said:

Oren-Nayar roughness is how 'not flat' a surface is at a microscopic level.

Sounds very subtle, thanks.

I seemed to get quite a bit of subtle, flat textures in the "Moonshine still" by hypnagogia. This is after 2,400+ iterations, the most I've ever done on my old, low-RAM computer. The brass lid is ok; I guess I'm referring to the foggy gray glass I got, and the "paper" like surface of the brown jug -- part of which I used to make a quick label for the jar. I achieved the amber liquid by tinting a layer in my image editor.

I was quite surprised at the glass in the promo images! Must have been my specific Iray lights, that gave me this result... or (wait a minute) perhaps it was the headlamp-only lighting I used. Sigh.

yellow-liquid-mason-jar.jpg
    465 x 657 - 38K
  • Sorry if this has been covered earlier in this thread, but are there any dynamic clothes for Michael 3 out there to use in Poser? I am having a heck of a time finding pants/trousers and a long-sleeve shirt.

• So this is my major V2 "oeuvre".

The version attached is an example of the EXR render tonemapped in Picturenaut.

Click for bigger!

And on my dA gallery I posted a more artistic version that was tonemapped using NIK Analog FX.

If you click this one, it should take you straight to the hi-res version. Unless dA doesn't allow hotlinking.

Very nice. The high-quality rendering really "disguises" how old this figure is. For me, the only giveaways are the jawline – there's something a bit too strong and defined about it, and there's a little funkiness to the bend of her elbow. But man... you really nailed it with the textures and lighting. A very pretty scene with a very pretty character.

Sorry if this has been covered earlier in this thread, but are there any dynamic clothes for Michael 3 out there to use in Poser? I am having a heck of a time finding pants/trousers and a long-sleeve shirt.

I guess you've checked the freebie wiki already? Just in case, here's the link: https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Michael_3/Wardrobe - no dynamic long pants/sleeves listed (unless you're okay with an unbuttoned shirt), but the good thing about Poser is that you don't need external utilities to make conforming items dynamic, and there are some conforming pants.

Very nice. The high-quality rendering really "disguises" how old this figure is. For me, the only giveaways are the jawline – there's something a bit too strong and defined about it, and there's a little funkiness to the bend of her elbow. But man... you really nailed it with the textures and lighting. A very pretty scene with a very pretty character.

Thank you! I feel flattered that an actual artist like you chose to say something nice about one of my images.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Oh, wow! I'm not sure how I missed this thread. I've spent most of this year converting V3s and M3s to Iray on my art thread. It's hit or miss,but a lot of fun. Working with them makes V4 and M4 seem easy. I haven't done much with A3 and H3 yet, but I have plenty of stuff for them from the blowouts. Still need to pick up some of the other Gen 3 characters. 

• Sorry if this has been covered earlier in this thread, but are there any dynamic clothes for Michael 3 out there to use in Poser? I am having a heck of a time finding pants/trousers and a long-sleeve shirt.

I guess you've checked the freebie wiki already? Just in case, here's the link: https://poserdazfreebies.miraheze.org/wiki/Michael_3/Wardrobe - no dynamic long pants/sleeves listed (unless you're okay with an unbuttoned shirt), but the good thing about Poser is that you don't need external utilities to make conforming items dynamic, and there are some conforming pants.

Thank you! I feel flattered that an actual artist like you chose to say something nice about one of my images.

Thank you for double-checking the wiki for me. I had been there, but hadn't found anything. The Cloth Room is not something I use on a regular basis, so I was hoping there was already something started for me to work with. Also, thank you for calling me a "real artist." I'm flattered, but we're all here to learn, and you're doing pretty well for yourself. 

Sorry if this has been covered earlier in this thread, but are there any dynamic clothes for Michael 3 out there to use in Poser? I am having a heck of a time finding pants/trousers and a long-sleeve shirt.

Thank you for double-checking the wiki for me. I had been there, but hadn't found anything. The Cloth Room is not something I use on a regular basis, so I was hoping there was already something started for me to work with. Also, thank you for calling me a "real artist." I'm flattered, but we're all here to learn, and you're doing pretty well for yourself. 

I guess you could try dynamics made for other figures, then? In Poser, all drapes are animated drapes anyway, so there is no rigging on dynamics. Optitex had a Poser version of some of their freebies here, which included cargo pants for M4: http://www.optitex-dynamiccloth.com/FreebiePoser01.php

There is a business suit among rendo freestuff, but it's non-commercial only: https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/business-suit/68122

Llynara said:

Oh, wow! I'm not sure how I missed this thread. I've spent most of this year converting V3s and M3s to Iray on my art thread. It's hit or miss,but a lot of fun. Working with them makes V4 and M4 seem easy. I haven't done much with A3 and H3 yet, but I have plenty of stuff for them from the blowouts. Still need to pick up some of the other Gen 3 characters. 

Don't forget that all Gen3 figures share the exact same UV mapping (although H3 and A3 have a bit more mat zones, the mapping is the same), so your texture presets should be very much interchangeable. They also can share many injectable morphs.

My favourites are A3 and H3 for more "fae-like" characters, and D3 and SP3 for "realistic" ones.

• mmalbertmmalbert Posts: 412

I haven't had as much time to do any rendering lately, but I did play around a little with A3/Kioki this weekend while experimenting with some diesel punk inspirations. I forgot to subd the hair, but these are just fancy test renders anyway. (I've also been trying to kitbash some G3F and G2M stuff, with mixed results.)

A3_Kioki_02F.png
    700 x 900 - 859K
    A3_Kioki_03F.png
    700 x 900 - 844K
    edited December 2023

It is most fitting that I come after mmalbert cause she and I are working on the Art Doll thing. Here is the first rendition of my version of an art doll. It is a weight mapped Victoria 2 with converted iray textures on her. The following list are the currently available freebies. Sure wish Runtimedna was back up and that Traveler would reoffer all of the neat clothing sets he made for Vicky.

Environment: Background Cloudy Skies Backgrounds-01-Part 6 Of 8 by pixlgirl.
    Environment: Birds Flock 3D Model by Forester.
    Environment: Plant Vase flowers N050317 by Andreo.
    Girl: Character: Texture Natty-V2 Clone by Casette.
    Girl: Clothing: Gee String Zip_String for DAZs Victoria 1 by Xorron Andreas Dirks Goblin Desgin.
    Girl: Clothing: Neck Chain Tassel for curtains N050112 by Valery Korneev.
    Girl: Clothing: Neck Ruff V4 Renaissance Neck Ruffs-- UPDATED!! by Rosemaryr.
    Girl: Clothing: Shoes Fetish Pumps V4 by Reiko-Kano.
    Girl: Clothing: socks BAT KneeSocks by BatLab.
    Girl: Hair Updo Hair SR1 by Kozaburo. Removed the bun. Changed the texture to white.
    Girl: Hair: Bows Pillows 3D Collection by 3DBar.
    Girl: Poses Hand Pose Vol. 1 for Victoria by HarpoonVolt.
    Shader: Clothing Pd-Daz Studio Soft Leather Shaders by Parrotdolphin.
    Shader: Skirt: Hair bows Iray Nobiax Shaders by kaz42.

On A Clear Day You Can See Forever

Post edited by DollyGirl on
  • mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,693
    DollyGirl said:

It is most fitting that I come after mmalbert cause she and I are working on the Art Doll thing. Here is the first rendition of my version of an art doll. It is a weight mapped Victoria 2 with converted iray textures on her. The following list are the currently available freebies. Sure wish Runtimedna was back up and that Traveler would reoffer all of the neat clothing sets he made for Vicky.

Environment: Background Cloudy Skies Backgrounds-01-Part 6 Of 8 by pixlgirl.
    Environment: Birds Flock 3D Model by Forester.
    Environment: Plant Vase flowers N050317 by Andreo.
    Girl: Character: Texture Natty-V2 Clone by Casette.
    Girl: Clothing: Gee String Zip_String for DAZs Victoria 1 by Xorron Andreas Dirks Goblin Desgin.
    Girl: Clothing: Neck Chain Tassel for curtains N050112 by Valery Korneev.
    Girl: Clothing: Neck Ruff V4 Renaissance Neck Ruffs-- UPDATED!! by Rosemaryr.
    Girl: Clothing: Shoes Fetish Pumps V4 by Reiko-Kano.
    Girl: Clothing: socks BAT KneeSocks by BatLab.
    Girl: Hair Updo Hair SR1 by Kozaburo. Removed the bun. Changed the texture to white.
    Girl: Hair: Bows Pillows 3D Collection by 3DBar.
    Girl: Poses Hand Pose Vol. 1 for Victoria by HarpoonVolt.
    Shader: Clothing Pd-Daz Studio Soft Leather Shaders by Parrotdolphin.
    Shader: Skirt: Hair bows Iray Nobiax Shaders by kaz42.

On A Clear Day You Can See Forever

nicely done composition! great element choices and visually striking!

(and love those sox! - thanks for providing the link - what a treat!)

--ms

Thank you mindsong and your welcome. Yes the socks are awesome. V2 in the render is a weight mapped version nothing fancy used default maps. But what surprized me was how well the socks converted and fit to her. I need to do some more research about setting up maps and clones so I can bend her without the weird controtions she has to go through now and to fit more to her and M2.