UV Mapping question

Hi all,

I have used Hexagon to UV map some simple meshes I've made but my first complicated project has thrown me for a loop. I saved my.hxn project halfway through the UV mapping process and got half the surfaces of my OBJ mapped last night after validating all the completed surfaces. I opened up the project today and pick up where I left off but am finding any new surfaces I map acts as if it were the first surface being mapped and it discards all the previous progress in the UV view. Is this a quirk of Hexagon that I need to finish all seams and unfold  in one go before saving out a file?

Thanks!

Comments

• Ah never mind,

It was really unintutitive but I ound I had to click on the unfold button at the top a second time to bring me back to my original work. Not the validate button.

• Wee Dangerous JohnWee Dangerous John Posts: 1,605
    edited December 2016

Hexagon is not very good at saving unfinished UVed files, best to save a project before UVing, then unfold & pin etc and save again. 

Post edited by Wee Dangerous John on
  • MorkonanMorkonan Posts: 215
    .. Is this a quirk of Hexagon that I need to finish all seams and unfold  in one go before saving out a file?

Thanks!

Basically... yes. Hexagon does not save any of its own, proprietary, UV mapping information in its own .hxn file.... Nice, huh? So, no seams/pins/blah-blah will be saved. UVMaps, if "finished" (Validate) will be saved. The rule of thumb is basically: Once you begin UV Mapping an object, do not stop until that object has been fully mapped.

Note - Once... Once, mind you, I had an issue with Hex during the mapping process. It may have crashed, gone nuts, attempted to write a bad check, I don't know. But, when I reloaded it and reloaded the working file, my seams/pins still existed! I think it may have been an issue with a corrupted cache or some other weirdness. But, I'm not in the habit of criticizing my benefactors, so I quietly resumed my work, giddy... yet a very careful sort of giddy. :)

• Morkonan said:
    Basically... yes. Hexagon does not save any of its own, proprietary, UV mapping information in its own .hxn file.... Nice, huh? So, no seams/pins/blah-blah will be saved. UVMaps, if "finished" (Validate) will be saved. The rule of thumb is basically: Once you begin UV Mapping an object, do not stop until that object has been fully mapped.

Wow,

yeah, I have been pretty much getting all UV'ing done before i shut down Hexagon for the night. Very crazy upsetting to see a project I UV'ed for hours end up with no UV info when I start Hexagon after saving the project. Yikes!

• MorkonanMorkonan Posts: 215
    Morkonan said:

Wow,

yeah, I have been pretty much getting all UV'ing done before i shut down Hexagon for the night. Very crazy upsetting to see a project I UV'ed for hours end up with no UV info when I start Hexagon after saving the project. Yikes!

If you validate the UVMap, it should write it to the file. It's just the "pins/seams" information that doesn't get saved. When you're working on an object, you can validate and still work with it, without destroying your pins/seams. But, if you choose a new projection method, then that will wipe everything so you can start anew, fresh.

• Morkonan said:
    Morkonan said:
    if you validate the UVMap, it should write it to the file. It's just the "pins/seams" information that doesn't get saved. When you're working on an object, you can validate and still work with it, without destroying your pins/seams. But, if you choose a new projection method, then that will wipe everything so you can start anew, fresh.

I see! Thanks!

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

I do love Hex, but for any sort of serious UV mapping, it does pay to get a dedicated mapper such as UU3D.  Not too expensive and the time-saving, with a lot more options they give to map in different ways is really worthwhile