Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Thanks David. Bokeh - I haven't forgotten. It's just that there are a couple of things afoot that need my attention.

No problem, I've got plenty to keep me occupied. This set (potentially) for Bryce still life project - "capsules" - a 15 minute tutorial by David Brinnen

Still_life_capsule_v4.jpg
    889 x 500 - 131K
    Still_life_capsule_v3.jpg
    889 x 500 - 206K
    Still_life_capsule_v2.jpg
    889 x 500 - 180K
    Still_life_capsule_v1.jpg
    889 x 500 - 181K
    Still_life_capsule_v0.jpg
    889 x 500 - 175K
  • Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Mystery Forest.

MysteryForest1.jpg
    750 x 500 - 267K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

not quite sure what the heck it is...

critter.jpg
    1514 x 855 - 1M
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Getting down to the the nuts and bolts of Bryce...

Fun with basic modelling, lighting and materials.

Nuts.jpg
    500 x 500 - 248K
    edited December 1969

Getting down to the the nuts and bolts of Bryce...

Fun with basic modelling, lighting and materials.

very nice work

• eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Thanks David. Bokeh - I haven't forgotten. It's just that there are a couple of things afoot that need my attention.

No problem, I've got plenty to keep me occupied. This set (potentially) for Bryce still life project - "capsules" - a 15 minute tutorial by David Brinnen Nice pills,
    Here some I made following your nice example.

capsules2.JPG
    1005 x 719 - 58K
    capsules.JPG
    1010 x 706 - 48K
    edited December 1969

Oooo pills... hmm I thought they were Red or Blue pills not Red AND Blue pills, how are we supposed to find out how deep the rabbit hole goes if we don't know which pill to take?

and now.. a Render

gems.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 527K
    edited December 1969

Not sure this one warrants the 4 hour render time, but as it's done now, I may as well post it.

Nuts2.jpg
    500 x 500 - 161K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Catch up time again. Won't be long before part 3 is created.

There are some very nice images so far, too many pages to go back through to say nice job to one and all.

• dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks Len,

Yes Dave, sort of, trying to simulate the light getting into the lens sort of. But it just looked like an interesting effect. I like the lighting experiments. Here's a weird one to consider, if you make a HDRI which is an entire rainbow using this material Bryce 10 minute material project - rainbow texture - a tutorial by David Brinnen with the apex where all the rainbows meet at the pole over your head. And you have a street grey street lamp on a grey flat plane, what shadows does the HDRI produce?

These lenses experiments are beautiful. My quick sun glow/lense experiment - in fact the noise is revealing the nature of the effect.

4b_2.jpg
    300 x 400 - 26K
    4b.jpg
    300 x 400 - 31K
    4_3.jpg
    300 x 400 - 35K
    4_2.jpg
    300 x 400 - 33K
    4.jpg
    300 x 400 - 29K
    edited December 1969

Sorry for the continued cube fetish of mine.
    Guess I cant do any nice landscapes.

cubea.JPG
    1022 x 724 - 51K
    edited December 2012

OKok, here something thats not a cube.
    A rubber dildo.

bloop_008.jpg
    1279 x 929 - 117K
    Post edited by eireann.sg on
  • pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@dwsel_
    It does have an organic look to it!

@eireann.sg
    No wonder my Peasant Girls are losing interest in me with devices like that around :-(

edited December 1969

more jewelry type stuff,

torusknot-jewel.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 535K
    edited December 1969

I guess if I am going to get into making jewelry renders and stuff, I should dive back into cararra since it can do that physics collision thing for making chains and things..

ballchain.jpg
    640 x 480 - 13K
  • Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

chohole requested that I post this over here as an example of the type of work I've been doing regularly in the monthly challenges over in the Freepozitory section. I'm a long time Bryce user (mostly B5 and 5.5) and only just got B7 up and running. I'm having a blast with it with all the new bells and whistles, although I'm still refining my lighting techniques.

Real_Man_Santa_MASTER_copy.jpg
    866 x 650 - 575K
    edited December 1969

Erieann, that little bit of reflection on the top pills render really makes the shot, although I find the reflection-less version somehow more plausible. The Rubic's cube render is excellent. Looks real. Very good light and a nice model too! The green snake thing is likewise well rendered, but not knowing what it is, it's harder to have a view on it's reality.

Rareth, there is always the option not to take any pills. The torusknot-jewel render looks great.

Dave, did you mix TA and reflective surfaces? The bolts look good, but that's quite a long render... nice material choices and lighting.

Dwsel, the lens effect looks good. I used anisotropic specular for mine.

Roland4, the mystery forest, interesting results with the fog in the trees - it works very well, give's a spooky effect around the base of the trees.

Lord Granthor, thank you for joining us here in the Bryce Talk forum and sharing your works. Reminds me very much of one of Pam's renders, which is of course a compliment. Very nice. Has any noted that you have a remarkable likeness to the character you have depicted in this render?

My contribution, a re-render of the pocket knives with slightly more exotic materials.

edge3_3.jpg
    850 x 850 - 479K
    edited December 1969

David, we need blood on a stainless steel blade, not bloody rainbows!
    Rainbows are gay, and that is hardly suited to such intimidating hardware, now is it?

That said, great work yet again on the surface you have them laid on, very nice.

edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    David, we need blood on a stainless steel blade, not bloody rainbows!
    Rainbows are gay, and that is hardly suited to such intimidating hardware, now is it?

That said, great work yet again on the surface you have them laid on, very nice.

And we all know how rainbows are made don't we boys and girls? (See this scientific plate I found on the internet).

Living_the_dream.jpg
    900 x 500 - 202K
    edited December 1969

Dave, did you mix TA and reflective surfaces?
    When I started the render, after the first pass I cancelled it and had a look to see if I hadn't inadvertently put 300 glass balls in that dark corner. :)
    Yes, there wasn't a way around it really, every surface is reflective and it's all set up inside a cube so maybe the rays were bouncing a lot (I think the maximum ray depth may have been set it's default).

The bolts look good, but that's quite a long render... nice material choices and lighting.

Yes, I was quite pleased with the way the models turned out, though the screw part of the bolt (which is just one of the Bryce 'Misc' items) appears to have flattened sides and maybe could use some smoothing (I don't know if that will help it to become rounder).
    As for the lighting, I've just been using exactly the same set up for the past few days. The set is all inside a box like I already said and the only light source is a single overhead sphere dome fill light, though I did bump up the light's specular response on the 4 hour render to highlight the metallic surfaces even more.
    edited December 1969

LMAO - Well fancy that, My Little Pony causing rainbows :-D

BTW, not related but do you have snow in Mablethorpe right now?
    If you don't already, I'm guessing you will have soon enough.

Absolutely chucking it down here so I'd get that lovely stove of yours fired-up if I were you!

edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    LMAO - Well fancy that, My Little Pony causing rainbows :-D

BTW, not related but do you have snow in Mablethorpe right now?
    If you don't already, I'm guessing you will have soon enough.

Absolutely chucking it down here so I'd get that lovely stove of yours fired-up if I were you!

No snow yet. I've got the stove going now, but I've got to pull my finger out and get some wood cut if you think we are due some of the white stuff? Generally doesn't get to us, being where we are, the salt air keeps it at bay I think.

edited December 2012

Well it's slowed right now but it keeps picking-up and it laid really quick, so yup, definitely some white sfuff!

I think you'd better start cutting or you'll end up looking like me before the night is out, I'm sat here with a blanket around me.
    I look like a cross between a "Hoodie" and "The Grim Reaper" holding a hot water bottle :-P

Looks cool though.

Post edited by pumeco on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,107
    edited December 1969

@Roland4 - Mystery Forest does look mystery.

@Rareth - it looks a bit like a huge frog. The spheres in the box look nice, particularly the pixel-effect on the inner spheres. Nice torus knot jewel. The chain looks good.

@TheSavage64 - the inside of the bolts look a tiny bit angular. Nevertheless, great models.

@eireann.sg - bivalent pills - the red to excite and the blue to calm. Rubik's cube looks great. JPG compression degrades the colours a bit. Quite a dildo with the naps.

@dwsel_ - could almost go as blurred lens flares.

@Lord Ganthor - very cool scene (pun intended). So there's beer and pizza.

@David - that colour on the blade reminds me of some earlier artwork of you: Oil Spill and Oily Rainbow of which I has made HDRIs at the time.

Snow, yes, yesterday 40 cm or 16 inches. The worst was getting the garage door open, the Freelander managed nicely.

• dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    @dwsel_
    It does have an organic look to it!
    I think that might be effect of a noise in bump channel, that made it look more natural. The additional 'unwanted' noise comes from 'soft shadows' option. I could also turn soft shadows off or turn off shadows receiving in the filter's material, but then I shouldn't have any object in front of my light sources. It would either allow the flare to go through or leave the sharp edges as in example below..

Rareth said:
    more jewelry type stuff,
    Lighting scheme is nicely exposing these kinds of material. Maybe square or 5:4 aspect ratio of image would make it look more balanced?

@Lord Ganthor:
    I'd prefer not to meet that Santa on my way.

Dwsel, the lens effect looks good. I used anisotropic specular for mine.

My contribution, a re-render of the pocket knives with slightly more exotic materials.

Thanks! I've used specular as well. The setup is simple - it's just the sphere that's around the camera with material as below.

Interesting materials: the one looking like there is an oil spill on the blade's surface, and the second a bit like holographic.

@dwsel_ - could almost go as blurred lens flares.
    It's not very far from these to create the real lens flares

I'm posting some attempts to create refractive lenses (first attempt in Bryce). Currently it's just a plano-convex lens with torus as an aperture, and the previous filter as well. The ideal situation would be to create the full lens system, but that takes long to render and it is difficult to control The lens systems such as this react to light changes (you can already see the lens elements effect on the image). When used with depth of field it's even harder to finetune the dof strength.

Ah... the rendering is really ugly and... I had to turn it upside down ;)

5c_4b_2_b6.jpg
    400 x 400 - 39K
    5c_4b_2_b5.jpg
    400 x 400 - 37K
    5c_4b_2_b4.jpg
    400 x 400 - 36K
    4_3_material.png
    606 x 387 - 341K
    4_3_sharp.jpg
    300 x 400 - 23K
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Snow, yes, yesterday 40 cm or 16 inches. The worst was getting the garage door open, the Freelander managed nicely.

That's comforting to hear because I'm planning another visit to Bulgaria over the winter and was planning to hire a Freelander!
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

Just a "for fun" image.
    a greebled capsule created in AC3D with a Bryce sphere "eye".
    This is surrounded by a large Bryce sphere with a complex alpha trans/reflect texture.
    HDRI image from Artmatic used for IBL illumination and as the background.
    Bryce sun.
    17 minutes to render - just about the shortest render time I've done in a long time (LOL).

nano_inspector.jpg
    1400 x 700 - 433K
    edited December 2012

@dwsel_
    Looks like you caught David's cross-posting habits!

Yup, nice work again, and its understandable the noise from shadows etc is making it look nicer. Noise can work wonders, there's nothing worse than perfect-looking CGI if the content is supposed to be natural in any way. I was even messing around post-working David's mountain scene yesterday, making it look analogue (grain and other niceties). Things always look nicer to me when they're mushed up a bit.

@Dan
    Yes, but he 17 minutes is due to the lack of a Peasant Girl which would normally add considerable time to any render!

Post edited by pumeco on
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

@Rareth - it looks a bit like a huge frog. The spheres in the box look nice, particularly the pixel-effect on the inner spheres. Nice torus knot jewel. The chain looks good.

the chain is actually a frame from a phyics test avi I did in Cararra, 6 seconds of the ball swinging on the end of that chain

this jewelry design stuff is getting interesting, I need to see where I can go with it.

silver_torus.jpg
    1514 x 855 - 618K
  • Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Souvenir

Souvenir1.jpg
    750 x 500 - 327K
This discussion has been closed.