Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 2

Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

@Dave– you mentioned somewhere in this thread, that you could no longer open your beach scene –Bryce crashes. I can no longer open this scene too, Bryce crashes and I wanted to save the modified materials. Did you solve the issue about opening your beach scene?

I don't know if this is the case in your situation but you mentioned using HDRI's and there was something I remembered from one of David or Horo's tutorials invloving HDRI's and crashes. Basically it had to do with using really high resolution HDRI's that due to their size saving them could cause a crash and so the work around was to save the scene with a lower resolution HDRI but when you want to render it switch out the lower resolution for a higher resolution version of the HDRI. I don't know if that's what is going on in your case but it might be given how you described things?

I think this original question passed me by somehow... sorry about that.

No, I didn't get the file to open again. It wasn't altering the materials that did it though as I altered the materials in a different document so I could easier isolate the parts of the car model to figure out which mesh was causing the black hole fireflies.

I think the problem with the document was that the car is a complex model and in a document with two high res daz people (V4 and M4), terrains with water materials mapped onto them plus some volumetrics, several trees, IBL lighting from an HDRI sky, there is a lot of possibilities for something not liking something else. The file is only 69Mb big so it's not the largest I've created, but as soon as I try to open it, it crashes Bryce out apparently before even trying to do all the convert OpenGL stuff it does.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,119
    edited December 1969

The file size is a bit misleading, because the scene is saved using a non-destructive compressing algorithm. This is so since Bryce 6.0. Beware, the file is loaded into memory, then unpacked in memory and finally the file loaded dumped out of the memory. The scene itself may still fit into memory but not with the file in memory as well. The same happens when saving. The scene is compressed in memory and then written to disk and the memory released. This is faster than working on the drive but disastrous for a 32 bit application.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Wings3d has developed a bug

ant.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 711K
    edited December 1969

Wow! Creepy.

• pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@David
    Yes, please do that, attach it to an email if you would.

I'd like to examine it and see how it relates to 20 high and why you needed 20 high, very curious about that. Won't be able to look at it yet though, will have to wait until I've backed stuff up and reformatted and I don't know when that'll be. I'm trying to get things done during the good weather (what very little there is of it) and getting other things done. Doing a reformat and putting everything back takes a bloody week or so.

BTW, if you're enjoying the knives so much, why not do a stainless steel blade with the brushed effect and practice some blood on it, make it streak and bead like it would on a real blade, like the effect you get when water hits a freshly waxed car (not that I think your Subaru ever sees fresh wax, and therefore you would even know what it looks like) :-D

• pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

PS: David. just spotted your edit, thanks for the heads-up on the bump, great stuff!

• eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    When you still patrolled Platzspitz they only did Heroin and Shit and now its worse, right? LOL
    Do they still distribute free syringes with the syringe packages lying all over the place?

That was fashinable in the late sixties and early seventies. No idea what they do now. Probably nothing you could learn anything decent from watching.
    The only thing you could learn was that this must have been the only dirty place in the otherwise so clean Switzerland.
    edited December 1969

hmmm I have discovered Sculptris, something new and fun to learn.. I might need help is there AA for 3D artists?

sculpt-test.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 472K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,997
    edited December 1969

@Dave– you mentioned somewhere in this thread, that you could no longer open your beach scene –Bryce crashes. I can no longer open this scene too, Bryce crashes and I wanted to save the modified materials. Did you solve the issue about opening your beach scene?

I don't know if this is the case in your situation but you mentioned using HDRI's and there was something I remembered from one of David or Horo's tutorials invloving HDRI's and crashes. Basically it had to do with using really high resolution HDRI's that due to their size saving them could cause a crash and so the work around was to save the scene with a lower resolution HDRI but when you want to render it switch out the lower resolution for a higher resolution version of the HDRI. I don't know if that's what is going on in your case but it might be given how you described things?

No, I didn't get the file to open again. It wasn't altering the materials that did it though as I altered the materials in a different document so I could easier isolate the parts of the car model to figure out which mesh was causing the black hole fireflies.

I think the problem with the document was that the car is a complex model and in a document with two high res daz people (V4 and M4), terrains with water materials mapped onto them plus some volumetrics, several trees, IBL lighting from an HDRI sky, there is a lot of possibilities for something not liking something else. The file is only 69Mb big so it's not the largest I've created, but as soon as I try to open it, it crashes Bryce out apparently before even trying to do all the convert OpenGL stuff it does.

Thanks for the replies. I used Horo's IceFire Hdri. I think it would be the Hdri as the file size is only 11.7mb and it wasn't a very complex scenic like Dave's.

Horo I will remember to save like you suggested. David mentions this method of saving in various tutorials but we never learn till we are thought a lesson.

@ Rareth - your Wings 3d renders are awesome. Like the diamond ring, wish I had one like that .;-)

edited December 2012

Thanks for the replies. I used Horo's IceFire Hdri. I think it would be the Hdri as the file size is only 11.7mb and it wasn't a very complex scenic like Dave's.

Horo I will remember to save like you suggested. David mentions this method of saving in various tutorials but we never learn till we are thought a lesson.

@ Rareth - your Wings 3d renders are awesome. Like the diamond ring, wish I had one like that .;-)

thank you for your kind words.

yes that ring turned out pretty well. I could always run it through Hexagon and make a DAZ prop out of it..

Post edited by Rareth on
    edited December 1969

ok another "thing" done in sculptris and imported to Bryce for textureing and rendering

sulptris1.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 630K
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    hmmm I have discovered Sculptris, something new and fun to learn.. I might need help is there AA for 3D artists?

I believe they do and that this is their twelve steps. :)

1.We admitted we were powerless over 3D Art - that our lives had become controlled by the time it takes to render
    2.Came to believe that a Computer greater than the one we currently own could restore us to sanity.
    3.Made a decision to turn our will and our finances over to the care of the Daz web site.
    4.Made a searching and fearless purchase inventory of our 3D content collection.
    5.Admitted to Daz, to ourselves, and to strangers on the Daz forum the exact nature of our 3D Art.
    6.Were entirely ready to have Daz run up our credit cards to their limit.
    7.Humbly asked Daz to upgrade Bryce.
    8.Made a list of all persons we had shown our art to, and became willing to show them more even when they didn't ask to see it.
    9.Made posts thanking such people for their comments on our art wherever possible, except when they were rude and criticized our work.
    10.Continued to take content inventory, and when we found something was missing, promptly bought it.
    11.Sought through posts and bug reports to Daz to improve our favorite 3D software, praying only that our render times would improve and our computers would have the power to handle it.
    12.Having developed some skills as the result of these steps, we tried to become vendors selling content to new 3D artists, and to spend our profits on an even more powerful computers

• Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Mountains High

MountonsHigh.jpg
    1500 x 1000 - 1M
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Love all the wonderful renders and artworks - I’m way behind.

Anyway, the latest...for the time of year... :) Snowflakes aren’t true volumetric - just a series of planes with fuzzy, elongated dots on them, placed here and there throughout the fore/backgrounds

Title: “Winterwood”

Jay

Winterwood.jpg
    1400 x 740 - 1M
    edited December 2012

Rareth said:

I believe they do and that this is their twelve steps. :)

1.We admitted we were powerless over 3D Art - that our lives had become controlled by the time it takes to render
    2.Came to believe that a Computer greater than the one we currently own could restore us to sanity.
    3.Made a decision to turn our will and our finances over to the care of the Daz web site.
    4.Made a searching and fearless purchase inventory of our 3D content collection.
    5.Admitted to Daz, to ourselves, and to strangers on the Daz forum the exact nature of our 3D Art.
    6.Were entirely ready to have Daz run up our credit cards to their limit.
    7.Humbly asked Daz to upgrade Bryce.
    8.Made a list of all persons we had shown our art to, and became willing to show them more even when they didn't ask to see it.
    9.Made posts thanking such people for their comments on our art wherever possible, except when they were rude and criticized our work.
    10.Continued to take content inventory, and when we found something was missing, promptly bought it.
    11.Sought through posts and bug reports to Daz to improve our favorite 3D software, praying only that our render times would improve and our computers would have the power to handle it.
    12.Having developed some skills as the result of these steps, we tried to become vendors selling content to new 3D artists, and to spend our profits on an even more powerful computers

I think I'm on step 6...

mountains.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 948K
    Post edited by Rareth on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 2012

Question, Is an imported tree with almost 178k polygons worth it, do you think. Quick render.

Oak_tree_1_DR_losres.jpg
    540 x 720 - 89K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Question, Is a tree with almost 178k polygons worth it, do you think. Quick render.

In that render with the tree being the focus of it I'd say yes but as something to populate some woods or a forest in the distance I'd say no.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Question, Is an imported tree with almost 178k polygons worth it, do you think. Quick render.

Nice looking tree, one or two in a scene should work great in the fore or mid ground, populating a forest of them for background scenery would probably cause Bryce to choke.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

I think that's really beautiful tree!
    Would work for foreground very well.
    *wants it*

edited December 2012

Kerya it's from DinoRaul, over at rendo, not cheap, but I have to admit I fell in love with them. THere are 11 (I think) variations in tree shapes and some piles of leaves to go on the ground as well. This one is one of the oak trees.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Roland4Roland4 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@chohole

Your tree is imposant, i like it.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Ouch - DinoRaul - beautiful, buty pricey.
    Thank you, I think I have to wait for a sale.

edited December 1969

Yes, I want some more of his trees as well I think, especially the mossy ones, but as you say, a sale, or a good coupon needed first.

• dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited December 2012

My try at furry material. Sorry for low quality of model. The material consists of 3 layers (each slightly scaled up):
    1. solid with bumpmap
    2. nearly same as 1 + wider specular halo + stronger specular + 70% transparency - it's receiving but not casting shadows
    3. basic volumetric with density map taken from bump from previous ones
    the map is simple fractal noise, with spherical mapping

Raw render and after slight postpro (zoom blur). You can see that the left edge is already fuzzy on non processed image. That's the effect of dof. In fact it would be possible to change focal point and render the second pass where the right edge would be out of focus, but I decided to use zoom blur that works very nice with any furry object that has spherical mapping mode.

9_edit.png
    300 x 450 - 203K
    9.png
    300 x 450 - 281K
    Post edited by dwsel on
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Love all the wonderful renders and artworks - I’m way behind.

Anyway, the latest...for the time of year... :) Snowflakes aren’t true volumetric - just a series of planes with fuzzy, elongated dots on them, placed here and there throughout the fore/backgrounds

Title: “Winterwood”

Jay

The snow flakes turned out quite well. Have you ever tried particles to generate snow? (Okay, they will be spheres, but if they are not too close to the camera and there's a bit of haze ...)
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

That tree is definitely wonderful. By the way, Carrara can also make beautiful trees. If you have it, the trees will be free.
    edited December 1969

@dwsel_ - the left one looks quite good.

• scott.rafferty11scott.rafferty11 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Been mucking around with objects and lighting, only problem I have is the shadow under the monster. infact most of the shadows lol, Any tips?
    These two are named defiance...

defiance_2.jpg
    1200 x 563 - 368K
    defiance.jpg
    1200 x 563 - 390K
    edited December 1969

Been mucking around with objects and lighting, only problem I have is the shadow under the monster. infact most of the shadows lol, Any tips?
    These two are named defiance...

Good start.

Tips for shadows:
    Make sure the ambient on the ground plane material is set to 0
    Makes sure the global Shadow Intensity setting is set to 100 (this is in the Sky & Fog tab and is the second icon along, you can also play with the global ambient colour in the colour palette beneath it). For a slightly more realistic shadow effect, you can also set the shadows to be soft in the sky lab (click the little cloud and rainbow icon in the Sky & Fog tab), under Sun & Moon settings, there is the option to set soft shadows for the sun (from 0 to 100), then in the render options, choose Premium render and click the soft shadows button. This will do as you would expect it to do and make the edges of the shadows soft, blending them into the scene better.

For the missing shadows, check that the models are set to cast shadows (This option is in the materials lab where you will see a little and insignificant inverted triangle button at the top between the material channel settings and the little mini previews of the materials used in the channels). Though to me it looks like your models aren't actually placed on the ground at the correct distance from the camera and more simply placed in the scene so they look about right. It's something about the haze that makes it look like this so if that's the case, you need to go to the Top view and place them in the scene, the correct distance from the camera and then hit the 'Place on the Floor' button in the objects sub menu (that's the bottom one with the little arrow pointing downwards).

Hope this helps.

edited December 1969

chohole said:

It looks like it would be perfect for close up shots. The leaves look great and very detailed, and it would be great for tree dwelling wildlife renders as I imagine the detail is good enough to show in really close, or if the tree was the focal point of the render. As background trees, maybe a bit over the top though. :)
This discussion has been closed.