Slooooow Download

caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,259
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Downloads from the DAZ site (and only from this site!) became terribly slow in the last two months or so, no matter if I use Firefox or Safari. It takes at least five minutes for a single file to download. Does anybody know this problem?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

How fast is your connection? I get about the maximum mine will allow, 800KBs, from DAZ but a few other people with much faster connections have reported slow-downs.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

And I, with a slow connection get my best download speeds from DAZ 3D most of the time. If my download slows down too much I reset my router, which does then speed up the next download.

• Coon RaCoon Ra Posts: 200
    edited December 1969

On my home 40 Mbit connection I have 30-200 kBs from daz3d at average speed of 50-60 kBs per download. Thus, I use my job connection to d/l heavy files like ds installers, as here I often have average 200-300 kBs from daz3d, though, the office connection itself is about 24 Mbit.

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Ever since the switch from the PA sale to the DO sale, during which time the DAZ site was having major problems during the switch, my speeds have decreased dramatically. I was getting 1.2mb/sec - 2.0mb/sec before the sale switch. I now get 100kb/sec - 300kb/sec. Something definitely happened to something, but nobody's talking. I have no problems with any other site that have been noticeable.

• Muon QuarkMuon Quark Posts: 541
    edited December 1969

The download speeds here changed for me about a month ago. I have cable internet and I went from about 1.5 - 2MB download speed to around 200-300kb. Don't know why but.....there it is. So I have noticed a change but don't know what it is.

• jade monkeyjade monkey Posts: 111
    edited December 1969

yeah, the same thing has happened to me, too. daz used to have the fastest downloads of any site for me, but lately, they have dropped to 100kb if i'm lucky. downloading something like ron's brushes at over 300 mb was a real pain -- and there were three of those files! this is on safari....

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,259
    edited December 1969

So I am not the only one with this problem. I have a fast connection and until, say, mid of October, everything was ok. Quick downloads - no problems. I wouldn't complain if I had the same problem with other sites, but these delays only happen with DAZ. I hope they'll fix it soon.

• PennamePenname Posts: 343
    edited December 1969

I have experienced some inconsistencies. just put it down to high volume. Took forever last night, but this morning they were downloaded so fast I couldn't even read the speed before they were done. Timing might be an issue.

edited December 1969

Penname, this is what I thought before, and just like you I tried the downloads at different times during the day. Nothing, the downloads remained slow. While I am typing these words, I am downloading 'Jade Hair for Genesis' - meanwhile it takes almost 45 min. for three parts. This is not normal.

edited November 2012

That is really very strange.

My broadband connection is only 500mb, despite me paying for a 2g connection, and yet I regularly download form DAZ 3D at 185-200kbs. Rarely does it drop below that.

As I said earlier, if my DL speed does drop too much I will reset my router, and try again, and invariably find that the reset does the trick.

When someone else was saying about slow download speeds I actually decided to DOwnload my latest purchase, which was the Ron's Digital Energy, which is over a gb of content in 3 installers. Normall I would have downloaded it in the morning UK time. as at that time most of the US is still abed, so less call on servers etc. However to see what would happen I set the download going at one of the busiest times, evening time US. I downloaded the 3 files, in 40 minutes, and had a steady speed of around 185 kbs all the way through all 3 downloads.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    That is really very strange.

My broadband connection is only 500mb, despite me paying for a 2g connection, and yet I regularly download form DAZ 3D at 185-200kbs. Rarely does it drop below that.

As I said earlier, if my DL speed does drop too much I will reset my router, and try again, and invariably find that the reset does the trick.

When someone else was saying about slow download speeds I actually decided to DOwnload my latest purchase, which was the Ron's Digital Energy, which is over a gb of content in 3 installers. Normall I would have downloaded it in the morning UK time. as at that time most of the US is still abed, so less call on servers etc. However to see what would happen I set the download going at one of the busiest times, evening time US. I downloaded the 3 files, in 40 minutes, and had a steady speed of around 185 kbs all the way through all 3 downloads.

Is DAZ doing downloads through Cloudflare or just the site?

Because, if it's downloads, too, Cho, your 'test' doesn't really matter...Cloudflare has a data center outside of London...so you'd be routed there, instead of a US server.

Overall, the problems seem to be sporadic and affecting individuals, in seemingly varied locations as opposed to large blocks of people in one location or 'region'. That sounds more like a local problem than a site/DAZ problem.

Rebooting/power cycling the your modem/router, stopping all downloads/net traffic and doing a power down/reboot of your computer, making sure you AV/firewall/OS are not interfering, clearing browser caches are all things to look into/do first.

edited December 1969

Yes, as I said, if I get too much of a slowdown on DL rate I will reset my router. As I have a dynamic IP that usually solves the problem as it will reset my IP address.

My son jokes that it takes a while for the Broadband to crawl up this Welsh mountain, as we are quite a way from the nearest exchange and that is down in the next valley over. Which is why although the average Broadband speed in our area is 1gb my particular area cannot get higher than 500kb.

edited December 1969

Thank you, chohole and mjc1016; I'll try it. Though it doesn't explain why other downloads are still much faster... Strange.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

strange - cos my dowload speed at DAZ has slowed dramatically too over the last couple of months. Before, DAZ was consistently super fast, I was getting close to my speed here - but NOT at other sites. I loved downloading products here, in fact there were times that THAT actually dictated where I was spending my content budget that week.

Then over the last couple of months, it got slower. Renderosity has always been the worst for me, super slow download speeds. It's still incredibly slow, and daz is only JUST a smidgeon faster than that.

My speed varies depending on what site I am downloading from - that's always been the case and I knew that. But the drop in speed for DAZ has been so dramatic that it is very noticeable.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,757
    edited December 1969

definitely has slowed down.. my download speed from Daz used to be around the 800 - 1,000kb the last download I did of the DS beta was a paltry 100 - 150kb/sec

looks like DAZ has applied speed humps to cut costs :coolgrin:

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

The fastest I've ever gotten from here...about 360 k....average about 200 k. Last download...the beta...average around 195k.

Fastest from any other site about 385k average around 200k.

Of course, that's when I've got 'exclusive' run of my internet connection. If anyone in the house is streaming something, I'm lucky to break 100k...anywhere.

Some other things...Cloudflare filters 'malicious' visitors...through many means, from IP blocking to 'behavior tracking', UA string (browser identification) checking and all sorts of other things.

Also there are a couple of other things in play on the site, in general...including some stuff from Amazon and Google servers. Any/all can slow things down if they aren't getting to you.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,714
    edited December 1969

Mine is faster today than it use to be, though it goes up and down, from 500 KB to 2.2 MB (much like with the old store actually). These are average values based on last 10 seconds, not spikes. I use to get about 1 MB on average almost anytime.

I'm using my own download program (see link below), don't know if it has anything to do with that.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,714
    edited December 1969

If you're using XP it may help tweaking TCP, I used to get max 500 KB from DAZ, after tweaking I suddenly got up to 2.2 MB. You can test your connection here and tweak with DrTCP if necessary:

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks
    http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

Vista and Win 7 have dynamic TCP and should not need tweaking.

edited December 1969

Stezza said:
    looks like DAZ has applied speed humps to cut costs :coolgrin:
    If they did this to cut costs, they should fire their controllers. Slow downloads make customers hesitate to order, and that would mean more loss than profit.