WIP THREAD FOR NEW USERS CONTEST, November, 2012

1235»

Comments

• WahilWahil Posts: 307
    edited December 1969

What do you think of these changes?

I know you've been working on the hand holding the club so I'm sure you don't want to move the club.
    But if you flip the entire picture horizontally then the hand holding the club will match a certain avatar. :lol:

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited November 2012

Well, I still haven't gotten the focus to sharpen on the monitor images (dangit!), but I boosted the ambient strength nutty high and got about the same brightness I see before I render. I can live with a little bit of fuzz, as long as the images are recognizable as fall-type stuff.

Oh I like this one too sithkitten. I have that prop and never thought of changing the default screens. Nicely done. ;-)
    Post edited by Miss B on
  • GrazeGraze Posts: 418
    edited December 1969

Thanks for all the suggestions throughout the process.

The following is the postwork added.
    Blended the memory image into the sky background.
    Added a pencil, black lines, and a drawing of a turkey.
    Made the leaves redder and added some maple leaves.
    Darkened the color of the woman’s eyes.
    Modified her hair to make it look more like it’s being blown by an autumn breeze.
    Got rid of a poke through in the collar of her hoodie.
    And a few minor touch-ups here and there.

Thanksgiving_Memory.jpg
    530 x 609 - 187K
  • LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

my apologies for not posting any tutorials as promised, I have really been under the weather this month. maybe I can get some done for next month.

Everyone has been doing a great job on their images, keep up the good work gang!

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited November 2012

chohole said:
    Hmm, wildest wild life I normally come across are my 2 young cats, but they can get pretty wild as they are only just over a year old.

I like the way this is evolving.

missing shadows on the ground plane, now you have pulled the camera back

Still not sure if I like this wider angle better... I had made the shadows soft because it's cloudy...but I think you're right...they were too soft. They're still pretty subtle in the latest version, but perhaps better!

Two cats, did you say? ;-) (Actually, I feel like it might be one too many cats for the purpose of this image...trying again with just one cat...)

@DennyL: thanks, I hadn't realized that Cho ('s avatar) was a lefty! I'll see how it looks flipped.

@Mr Leong: I really, really like your latest!

@LycanthropeX: hope you're feeling better now.

chohole2c.jpg
    618 x 800 - 319K
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • kittenwyldekittenwylde Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments, people! I posted my entry this morning, before I ran out the door to work. Couldn't have done it alone. :)

@Mr Leong: Love the hand turkey! Adds a nice touch.

edited December 1969

@Mr Leong: I really, really like your latest!

Then I guess I won't be making anymore changes. Thanks.

@Mr Leong: Love the hand turkey! Adds a nice touch.

I added that when I realized the Daz community is worldwide, and some people may not realize what the little girl is doing when she's tracing her hand.

edited December 1969

Two cats, did you say? ;-) (Actually, I feel like it might be one too many cats for the purpose of this image...trying again with just one cat...)

Looked at the picture ..... read your words above ..... looked at the picture again.

Imagining the words came from the character in the picture about to make use of the club. LOL.

edited December 1969

Mr Leong said:

Looked at the picture ..... read your words above ..... looked at the picture again.

Imagining the words came from the character in the picture about to make use of the club. LOL.
    :lol: Didn't mean it that way, but after I typed it up, the same thought crossed my mind!

edited December 1969

...and then there was one.

chohole2d.jpg
    618 x 800 - 319K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

QUICK REMINDER

LAST DAY FOR ENTRIES TODAY

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

Gonna post this here though I'm pretty sure I should just go ahead and post it in the other thread since I'm pretty sure I won't have time to make any changes. Still, I felt this had to be completed despite the blatant flaws and obvious postwork. With the theme being either Autumn or thankfulness, my thoughts turned to the economy. Many are still struggling but some finally get the ability to improve their situation and for that they are thankful.

NEW OPPORTUNITIES AND SECOND CHANCES
    Daz 4.5

New_Opportunities.jpg
    800 x 800 - 77K
    edited November 2012

@ZamuelNow: well, I really like the concept and the individual parts. The composition clearly needs some work, but you know that... If you have a few minutes to work on it, blurring or otherwise fixing up the edges between the arms and the background images is priority #1, I'd say.

Here's where I am with mine. I'll attempt some postwork this evening. Actually I'm re-rendering it one last time, because her face looks slightly out-of-focus to me...and to hopefully get some better shadows on the ground plane.

You may notice that Cat #2 has re-appeared...still not sure which way I like it better: one cat or two. The other significant change is the boots: I applied leather and suede shaders (from the Supersuit Fantasy Pack, I think) and I like the result much better than the default materials. :)

chohole2f.jpg
    618 x 800 - 321K
    edited December 1969

@ZamuelNow: well, I really like the concept and the individual parts. The composition clearly needs some work, but you know that... If you have a few minutes to work on it, blurring or otherwise fixing up the edges between the arms and the background images is priority #1, I'd say.

Sigh...I know. It's embarrassing and frustrating for the very fact that I thought that splitting it the way I did should have made it easier to do. Don't know why the edges are so sharp on the copy/paste. The whole situation has got me in a bad mood and I'm almost wanting to retract. I mean seriously, these are the images.

New_Opportunities_-_Hands.jpg
    800 x 800 - 56K
    New_Opportunities.jpg
    800 x 800 - 70K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

To Avoid that in the Future Always do a Black Background for your PNG layers. They blend with almost any other layer.

EDIT: The Anti Alising to blend with the Grey causes the effect your getting.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Sill newb question but...how do you change the background color? I know how to add a background image for a render but never knew how to change the raw color itself.

edited November 2012

[post deleted...question withdrawn as ZamuelNow has already asked it!]

• edited December 1969

To change the background colour click on the drop-down menu near the camera selection area. The third choice is to change the background colour, when you click on it the colour picker pops up and you're set to go.

Untitled.jpg
    677 x 356 - 76K
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone. Some of these options almost seemed like they were staring me in the face.

New_Opportunities.png
    800 x 800 - 577K
    edited December 1969

ZamuelNow said:
    Sigh...I know. It's embarrassing and frustrating for the very fact that I thought that splitting it the way I did should have made it easier to do. Don't know why the edges are so sharp on the copy/paste.

In addition to changing the background color, always work at a larger size if you're going to be doing postwork copy and paste, or if you're going to be hand drawing things into your renders.

For example, if your final picture is going to be 100 x 100, change your render settings so it will render your pictures at 400 x 400.
    Do your postwork with the 400 x 400 pictures, then export your final image back to 100 x 100. By shrinking the picture, the jagged edges will be too small to be seen. This is a technique used in the comic book industry to get smooth digital lines (Anti-aliasing makes the colorist's job harder).

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    To Avoid that in the Future Always do a Black Background for your PNG layers. They blend with almost any other layer.

EDIT: The Anti Alising to blend with the Grey causes the effect your getting.

Black or white; depending on the background image.

edited December 1969

Finally, the finished product!

The Troll Hunter
    (or, "I defeated the DAZ (Forum) Troll and all I got was this lousy club!")

Switched to raytraced shadows which had a nice effect overall, I think. There was one oddly harsh shadow that required some postwork. Also did some general and specific edits of levels and curves and the like... Now to get some sleep! Great renders, everyone! :-)

chohole2g-pw.jpg
    618 x 800 - 323K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 2012

CONTEST CLOSED

Has everyone moved their renders over to the actual contest thread ?

Post edited by Chohole on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Lots of good work this time around. Sorry I haven't posted anything for this one, but it's been extremely busy in my non-cyber life. Good luck to everyone that's entered!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Good luck to all. It was fun this month.

BWSman said:
    Black or white; depending on the background image.
    Yes, I should remember that it depends on the Sub layer to be used. Thank you for adding that.
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Good luck everyone and I hope you enjoy next month's too. ;)